Shelby, MI

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17
Simply Amazing

2-4    8/8/2015   8/17/2015
Review By: TywinL
Pros: Bill has done yeoman work creating an absolutely amazing course on his property, and even more breathtaking is the fact that he only charges a dollar to play his masterpiece. Concrete teepads, creative use of the wonderful variety of terrain and just a unique laid-back feel made for the best day of disc golf I've had in a while.
Cons: Ok, let's pick some nits:

There isn't a creek/river, etc running through Bill's property, so there are no natural water carries. If you feel that's really worth marking the course down over, that's certainly your choice. If there were water on site, and it weren't used I'd agree, but I won't mark a course down for what isn't there naturally.

A couple of the tees could be in better shape, but again I won't mark the course down for that. I've played on courses that cost way more money to play that don't even have concrete tees.

Hole 1 is pretty meh, but it leads to the Magic Kingdom, so I'll forgive it...

Other Thoughts: This course and Mason Co. Beast completely reversed my opinion of Michigan disc golf. After playing two of the worst courses I've ever seen anywhere (including the flatlands of Iowa) I was ready to skip the disc golf portions of the camping trip my cousin and I had planned. Holes 1 and 2 only made things worse. I was really in a foul mood and not ready to love this course at all. I was having trouble envisioning how a course in some guy's front yard got the love it does on this site. By hole 7 my attitude had done a complete 180. At then end of our round I immediately wanted to play the course again. By the end of round 2 I never wanted to leave (well, not quite that, I love Colorado too much to leave. But I definitely wanted to scoop Flip up whole and bring it back out west with me!)

I usually don't review courses unless I disagree with many of the reviewers, but I wanted to thank Bill for what he's created. Honestly, I'm blown away and humbled that someone has done so much work and shares it with the world for next to nothing. If you only leave Bill $1 you're cheating yourself. It seems like every dollar from the course goes back into the course (along with many more). Thank you so much for what you created Bill, and to anyone else who helps you keep up this unique gem of a course.

Worth the Pilgrimage

5+    7/11/2015   7/13/2015
Review By: SneakyJedi
Pros: - Fun and exciting golf for all skill levels
- Fantastic use of elevation throughout at both fairways and greens
- Good variety of holes that both require different shots, and allow for different routes
- Excellent atmosphere unlike any other disc golf course
- Baskets catch well, benches by tee pads, and a couple shelters spaced throughout
- Camping available on site
Cons: - Concrete tee pads are on the small side, and some have minor to moderate spalls, with others frequently covered in sand
- No real tee signs with distance or other descriptive information
- No water hazards, though I never miss this fact during a round
- Only one set of pads/pins
Other Thoughts: After my third pilgrimage to Flip City, and having played many more courses in more states than my first visit 3 years ago, I decided to finally add my review of this amazing course. While my course totals and nation wide coverage are not up to the impressive levels many users of this site can claim, I feel like I have played enough courses throughout this country (including many currently top rated courses) to say that Flip City has an atmosphere and energy unlike any other disc golf course.

My level of excitement while driving down the gravel roads through rural Michigan to this destination course has increased with every trip. Once you park and drop your paltry $3 into the box by hole 1, Flip starts you off relatively easily, but by the time you reach holes 4 and 5, things have really started to ramp up and your adventure up and down the secluded hills of Flip City begins in earnest.

I really don't think there is a bad hole on the course, and the majority of holes could be the signature hole on a lot of courses. A good balance is struck between allowing you to play your, while still requiring sot shaping and variety. The course does play a bit more open, and favors a RHBH approach off the pad more often than not.

The hills and elevation change really are the stars of the show at Flip. Throwing up, down, and across hills, and towards baskets placed in various degrees of precariousness is incredibly fun and encourages thoughtful risk/reward play. I never missed the lack of water hazards during a round at Flip, but it is a design feature not available here.

The level of challenge at Flip is such that even beginner players can enjoy a round without feeling punished by the course, but more advanced players can hunt for the many birdie opportunities and not be bored. Multiple tee and pin positions would be a welcome feature that is becoming increasingly common at new courses, but the quality of golf from the existing layout is strong enough that this lack isn't much of a problem. I have played with people covering a large

The Mach V's are in good repair and catch well, and the benches, shelters, and port-a-potties are all welcome amenities throughout the course. Descriptive tee signs for each hole would be nice, especially since this is a destination course with many people traveling significant distances to play. While the "foul line" at the end of the tee pads are nice, in my opinion the pads are too short for it to be practical. At just over 6' my X-step approach was using the entire concrete pad. Several of the pads also had areas of spalled concrete and/or a significant amount of sandy dirt on them. I slipped 2 or 3 times during my last trip, and while I think I remember seeing brooms to clear off pads on previous visits, I didn't this time.

Every round I've played at Flip City has been immensely fun, there really aren't enough superlatives to describe the experience, you just need to do it for yourself. Even the brand new, played-5-times-before-now player in my group this past weekend appreciated what a great place Flip is, and had a great time. The course isn't without its flaws, but they are so minor compared to the overall quality of the course. Flip City really is among the "Best of the Best", so do yourself a favor and get out there if you can. Make a weekend of it and play some of the other fantastic courses in the area as well.

For those traveling, I have camped at both Flip City and the Mason County Campground near Ludington. Nothing beats being able to get up with the sun, roll out of your tent and play a morning round at Flip City, but for those who want a few more creature comforts, Mason County Campground has real bathrooms, showers, and places to plug in your electronics, as well as being 2 minutes from Beauty, Beast, and Goliath.

Amazing is an understatement!!!!!!

1    5/2/2014   2/26/2015
Review By: jaimem26
Pros: - Great Elevation
- Great mixture of open and wooded holes
- Very clean, well maintained
- Lots of sitting areas (and areas to break for lunch)
- Excellent high risk / high reward opportunities
- Challenging
- Quiet and great scenery
Cons: None that i can think of. Some may say it is too far away from nearest town where you can get food, gas, etc. but i think that adds to the charm of this place. There is something to be said about being out in the middle of nowhere where you dont hear any car traffic and the only noise you hear is the beautiful sound of chains and cheers.
Other Thoughts: Stepping onto this course for the first time I was very excited and was worried that I had set my expectations too high. Boy was i wrong!!! This course surpassed my expectations which were already very high. The scenery is breathtaking and just kept getting better and better as we walked through the course.

Flippin Awesome!

5+    10/27/2014   10/27/2014
Review By: Steven Hultquist
Pros: This course as well as beautiful is very challenging. It has every shot choice imaginable barring water hazards. I would recommend this course to anyone.
Cons: The only con I can think of it is remote and food amenities are somewhat far away. However, knowing that, I would gladly pack a lunch getting the opportunity to play here.

FLIP! The Living Legend

2-4    10/13/2014   10/14/2014
Review By: mrclc
Pros: Flip City Disc Golf Park is a living legend, and it cements its elite status with hole after hole of fun and rewarding golf. The design intelligently incorporates elevation change throughout the 24-hole layout, forcing the player to carefully consider disc selection and shot placement from tee to basket. As a slightly less skilled player, I appreciate that even if your mark isn't hit exactly, there are ample opportunities for creative recovery. The holes are designed in such a way as to give two players of similar skill levels radically different upshots to the basket, but give both players excellent opportunity for birdie or par. Hole 12 comes to mind especially with it's leftward curving, deep pitch fairway. Land far right and enjoy a level, if dangerous, birdie putt. Land in the center and just hope your approach sticks close enough for a par save.

The other hallmarks of Flip design are the fast, rollaway greens. I find it much more frustrating to watch a putt or approach roll for an additional 50 feet than to disappear over a sheer ledge. These greens are one of the biggest risk/reward factors on the course, and a big part of score separation in a round.

You'll find a great variety of lengths here as well. Just when you think you've thrown two similar distance holes in a row, the third one comes along to mix it up.

Flip's natural beauty is something to behold, especially in autumn when I played. Vibrant colors, stunning vistas, and the omnipresent rock cairns are, if you'll excuse the pun, par for the course. There's always something to look at, and often many things. A trip around Bill's property would be an excellent nature walk, disc golf notwithstanding.

If you like your courses chock-full of amenities, you won't be disappointed here. Three covered areas (including the one before Hole 1) on the course mean there's a chance to stop and rest and get out of any kind of weather. Benches and other seating areas can be found on nearly every hole. Two port-a-potties sit at the end of the course and the middle of the A holes.

Concrete tees have been provided, and feature a curved semicircle runoff area at the end to keep feet dry.

The course is squeaky clean, and it's easy to dispose of your own trash in one of the many on-course receptacles.

Baskets are Mach V's in excellent repair.

As many others have mentioned, $1/round is getting away with highway robbery here. Throw in a little more if you're able, as you'll see every dollar of it out on the course. Thanks Bill!
Cons: Tee signs only list the hole number with no diagram or distance information. This can be a bit of a hindrance for the many tourists and first-timers that come to play, but taking a map and a scorecard from the mailbox at the start of the round easily solves that problem. Most pins are visible from the tee, so you shouldn't be too stuck even without these aids.

Flip succeeds on the rich creativity of its design, and not necessarily through harsh punishment of off-target shots. It's possible to gamble and lose yet recover well enough to make par. Players equating a 5-disc rating with masochistic difficulty will likely leave underwhelmed.
Other Thoughts: Flip may not be perfect, but it definitely qualifies as the best of the best. In my mind, design and beauty are the two most important elements of a good course, and Flip excels in both areas. Everything else (concrete pads, benches, more intangibles than a blue-chip point guard) is just gravy. The fact that Bill has singlehandedly created this wonder and graciously opened it up for the disc golfing public to enjoy is nothing short of amazing. It's easy to get caught up in nitpicking elite courses, so instead I'm purposing to recognize Flip City for what it is - a secluded gem that earns its ranking among the best in the world.

1    9/19/2014   9/25/2014
Review By: waterhyzerd
Pros: Not crowded
Adequate teepads
Length AND ace runs
Elevation
Challenging off-camber basket placements
Nice fairways
Rock sculptures
Cons: Somewhat remote location, but I think that is also a good thing as it cuts down on player traffic.
Other Thoughts: We were able to mob golf (I know, cardinal sin of DG) with a group of eight players on a late Friday afternoon and only had to let two normal sized groups pass. There was really nobody else on the course; mind you we were fully prepared to split up the group if it was necessary.
After about hole four or so, it felt like we were playing on a fairy tale landscape that reminded us of the Lord of the Rings. Very few flat fairways and the greens around the basket were very sloped and fast.
I kept comparing Flip to Kensington Toboggan. I still think the Toboggan is more epic in terms of elevation and the shots required throughout. However, Flip holds its own with the elevation and intensity while providing better overall experience in terms of landscaping, fun factor, playability, and charm.

the Mecca

5+    7/20/2014   9/24/2014
Review By: cltindall2010
Pros: Great elevation changes, challenging fairways, multiple rest areas, and even bathrooms. Consistently well kept and clean. Weekly league night on Wednesday. Camping sites available as well.
Cons: A little far away from the highway, and no night golf.
Other Thoughts: Excellent course every time, look forward to it every year while I am on vacation. If you can only play one course for the rest of your life this is the one.

Mecca for Disc Golfers

2-4    9/9/2014   9/11/2014
Review By: lildragon
Pros: - Concrete pads on the long tees (extra large pads plus foul line and run off)
- Both short (dirt) and long (concrete) tee positions
- Extremely well thought out design
- Easy to navigate from hole to hole
- Excellent use of given terrain, with lots of use of elevation where possible
- Good mix of risk/reward
- Trash cans every few holes
- Benches and pavilions are plenty so you can take a break when needed
- No gimmicky holes
- Multiple lines to each basket
- 30 acres of land for 24 holes!!! (At times I would forget I'm in someone's back yard.)
- Port-a-potties on site (multiples even)
- Camping available
- Rough isn't very thick and there are paths mowed in the rough to help locate errant discs
- Lots of great little aesthetic touches that add character (rock sculptures, the basket design in the grass, the quartz rock with the metal tracks wrapped around it, etc...)
- Scorecards are provided
- It's only $1/round! (The course is worth more if you asked me)
- Good mix of long and short holes (plenty of long holes for big arms, and lots of ace run opportunities)
- Gorgeous setting with all the types of trees, hills, valleys, grasslands, and glacial rock deposits.
Cons: - Not a single one!
Other Thoughts: Bill has created THE destination course for Disc Golfers IMHO. Most courses I have played might have a single signature hole, or a couple if you're lucky. At Flip City EVERY hole is signature, and I don't think that's an exaggeration. We played 3 rounds over 2 days, and I never dreaded playing a single hole. Bill has shared his passion for disc golf with the public, so let's please treat his land and this course with the respect that it deserves! It is criminally under-priced at $1/round IMHO.

You owe it as a disc golfer to put a fiver in Bills honor box.

1    7/7/2014   7/30/2014
Review By: Barefooter
Pros: It is a monument to love of the game and the land.
It is brilliantly designed.
In many ways it defines modern disc golf.
Cons: Criminally under priced.
Other Thoughts: This is the 9th coarse we visited on our summer vacation and the 3rd in the top ten.
Mindblowing.
Our dog Murray had to wait tied to a pole in the players area, he made friends, people are generally good.

Lives up to the hype!

1    7/19/2014   7/22/2014
Review By: Puckstopper
Pros: -Immaculately clean

-2 sets of tees, longs are beautifully poured concrete

-inexpensive (worth way more than a buck)

-GREAT use of elevation.

- Rock gardens create a unique feel.

- Overall beautiful scenery and location.

- Not overrun, even on a beautiful sunny Saturday.
Cons: -No water carry.

-Very basic tee signs.

-Remote location. Bring plenty of water and snacks
Other Thoughts: I'm going to discuss my "cons" first because they'll take almost no time at all. It would be really nice if Bill's property had a stream running through it or a pond to throw over. But it doesn't, and in my mind a gimmicky fake water hole would be worse than not having one. I'm not willing to deduct points for something the land didn't provide. Bill's property is in the middle of nowhere, and there is no place right nearby to buy drinks/snacks/lunch/whatever. Bring your own and you'll be fine.

Now for the good. Flip City is located on a piece of property blessed with rolling hills, thick woods and grassy meadows. As you can imagine this leads to some epic disc golf holes including uphill, downhill and sidehill shots. Very few baskets after the first were left on a level lie, and those that were level were also well guarded. Despite the difficulty the course plays quite fairly. It is more of a test of skill than a course that punishes you needlessly. On one hole (5A) that none of us could figure out a solid route on we had one member of the group (the only guy who'd played Flip previously) throw a huge sky hyzer that plummeted through the trees guarding the basket to card an easy deuce. Seeing that made me realize that there really were no unfair holes, but that I would have to improve the way I think about the game to score well here.

There are benches at every hole, and the rock gardens provide a unique opportunity to take a break from discing while leaving your mark at Flip.

Players of all skill levels can enjoy Flip without becoming overly frustrated due to the natural beauty of the course. However this is NOT a course I would bring a newer player to unless they were prepared to struggle with putts rolling away and somewhat tighter lines than they may be used to.

I have been looking forward to playing Flip City for a couple years now, and came in somewhat prepared to be let down. I was concerned that the course might be more of a cult classic, and not live up to the hype generated by it's fanatical followers. But I'm here to tell you that Flip delivers a unique disc golf experience that is both enjoyable and challenging. As along as you understand that Flip is one man's dream, and is maintained by that one man, you should be willing to make allowances for things like rudimentary tee signs and appreciate the amenities like benches, shelter houses and perfectly poured and nicely shaped tee pads. Flip may not be perfect, but the imperfections are minor, and are part of the character and charm of the place. I wouldn't want it any other way.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17