Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: deBebbler Hole #2A (Taken 5/2010)
Hole #2A Mid-Fairway

1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 20
 Awsome

2-4    5/31/2010   5/31/2010
Review By: nabaah
Pros: Everything!!! There are so many little things that make this course great. The upkeep is amazing. It is always so clean an well kept. Bill is the man. There isn't a hole out here that i don't enjoy playing.
Cons: Nothing
Other Thoughts: Everyone should play here. It is the best! Wherever you are coming from it is worth it. I could spend all day playing this course. I can't wait to plan another trip here!

Little slice of heaven.

2-4    5/29/2010   5/31/2010
Review By: deBebbler
This review was updated on 2/7/2011
Pros:
-Intelligent design. We are talking Einstein, here.

-24 holes, which are easily shortened to 18, but you are a fool if you do.

-Seemingly perfect mix of holes. Long, short, tunnels, open, blind drives, upshots, and "bombs". Hole 2A looks like a miniaturized ball golf hole, and is for me, the signature hole here. Absolutely stunning.

-More course "character" than you could hope for. Gazebos, benches, rock art, and beautiful rolling landscapes.

-ONSITE CAMPING!!!
Cons:
-Mosquitoes the size of Buicks, and they were everywhere. How there could be so many mosquitoes with no standing water, is a mystery to me.

-No practice basket that I saw. (seemed like a glaring oversight, either on my part or theirs)

- . . . . . that's it. I got nothing. This place is DG Heaven.
This was the first of the 5 courses we managed to fit in Memorial Day weekend 2010. My navigator was keen on playing as many courses as we could (and believe me, so was I), but both he and I were sorely tempted to walk right back to hole one and play it again.

Anyone remotely considering traveling to play this course should plan to, at the very least, arrive in the afternoon, play this course, camp, and play another morning round before leaving. There are other fantastic courses to play close by in Ludington, so a long trip can be easily justified. I am already planning another trip this summer, as well as a late September round to catch this course in all it's color changing majesty.

I didn't really have more to add, and I hate to review something unless I do, but this course demands accolades, no matter how many times they have been said.

My camera sat in my pocket for the majority of the round (a rarity for me on new courses) because I was so caught up in taking it all in. I forgot I brought it for most of the course.

A truly remarkable Michigan treasure.

Word to the wise...do not MapQuest this course. Just do yourself a favor and take M-20 to S 124th Ave and turn North. The course is where this road ends. I mean, you can see basket #1 from the stop sign.

Flip City

5+    5/10/2010   5/26/2010
Review By: Creepy Anhyzer
This review was updated on 5/29/2010
Pros: A legendary course every time I play here I have a great time.

-Open Fairways
-Fun and interesting designs
-Chill spots

This course really is the best of the best
Cons: One hole on the alternative 6 is through the trees and is really hard at least for me.
Other Thoughts: I would play here everyday if it was closer to my house.

The Best

2-4    5/16/2010   5/18/2010
Review By: discin311
Pros: Wow what can I say that people haven't there is not much else to say besides get out there and see this course. Bill is one of the nicest guys I have met. Every hole has something else different to offer. The rocks everywhere is ever cool benches and huts to relax. 24 holes good tee pads good mach 5 baskets
Cons: I have played 70+ courses and there is noting to say everything is the best on this course.
Other Thoughts: 2 of my friends and I camped there for the weekend and had a great time Bill was very helpful. There were another group of friend camping there we had a great time partying and playing glow with them. This course is off the beaten path but worth the trip for sure we drove from burbs of Chicago and it was worth it. I hit one of my best aces on hole 12 that was a plus to the weekend

Amazing!!!

1    5/15/2010   5/16/2010
Review By: pgriffioen
Pros: This course has been raved and raved, and it's all true. One thing I would like to add is that the course had near to none litter. That is awesome in comparison to the shape of some courses.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Make the mecca.

Thank you glaciers!

5+    5/8/2010   5/8/2010
Review By: SirRaph
This review was updated on 4/28/2011
Pros: Flip City is something special.

The property on which Flip City sits is a gem in itself. A giant (80 acres I believe) piece of land with mature trees and sudden, repetitive changes in elevation. In the fall, the changing leaves and lightening birch trees quite literally take my breath away.
Playing this course feels like half-golf, half-nature hike.

The course is well designed, and even more supremely maintained.
Players will be required to throw an array of shots to attack the pins. And while power players can find some rewarding routes, a player with 300' of power can post a competitive score with a well-played round.

The remote location keeps a lot of the destructive/casual player/idiots away. In the dozen-or-so times I've played this course, I've run into maybe 15 other people total.
Cons: Mosquitos. Bring your repellent or be repelled.

Remote location. Not so much a con as it is a "heads up". Pack your lunch, and bring plenty of liquids. Convenience stores, let alone restaurants, are a good distance away.
Other Thoughts: A very special place to experience disc golf.

Fantastic and Challenging

1    3/30/2010   3/31/2010
Review By: smyith
Pros: - The Rock art was amazing and truly appreciated
- Teepads are consistent and level
- Easy to navigate course.
- Lots of shot variety
- Excellent use of available land.
- Pin placements were optimal
- Lots of benches
- Beautiful scenery
- Really fun to play
- Lots of up and down for a descent workout
- Three well placed shelters (smoking spots)
- Beer allowed
- Port-a-potties
Cons: - Lack of trash cans throughout course. Lots in the center but nothing on the outer edges.
- Am and Jr. pads are dirt and not well marked
- I felt every hole was truly reachable in two throws or less.
- Its western LP Michigan, there is sand everywhere, why are there no brooms for the teepads?
- Although teepads were level behind the pad (the run-up) were not always even or barely even any room.
- Tee Signs sucked!!!! Only the hole number was posted. If you dont grab a score card you will not know the distances or necessarily were the pin is. I would rate the course a 5 had the tee signs been better.
Other Thoughts: It's not the best course I've ever played, thats for sure. Although there were lots of shot varieties they weren't that demanding for accurate placement. If I were putting better well that and the roll-aways, I could've easily shot a negative score.
I will be back in Ludington again in a couple months and will be making another trip down to Flip City to see the difference between spring and summer there.

Favorite Hole #4 - This is 293ft that has a flat fairway 90% of the way then it sharply raises up and the basket is place on the hill slant. The trees lining the fairway funnel down as you continue down the fairway to about a 15-20' wide opening just before the basket. Plays more like a 350' hole with a very straight drive to try and run the disc up the hill. Trees block a direct line from the tee. You must be very careful when putting, if you don't make it or land parallel you will most likely roll all the way down the hill again.

2-4    1/26/2010   1/26/2010
Review By: Adam_Valk
Pros: This course will challenge every shot in your bag. It allows you as a golfer to focus on your shot making ability rather than just plain luck.
Cons: The only thing that keeps this course from being a 5 in my mind is their isn't any water hazards. I know there have been obstacles built to replace the lack of water, but water on this course would make this course even more beautiful.
Other Thoughts: The bugs are a given especially in the hot summer months, but overall a great course.

I will miss this course

1    10/9/2009   12/26/2009
Review By: discer
Pros: Many long holes which I personally like, and some shorter more technical hole as well. A true 24 hole Pro Course. A must if you are living in, or planning to visit Michigan. Well layed out. Much attention to detail, including rock gardens, and other artistic add-ons. A couple of shelters in case of rain. Trash cans to keep the area nice and clean. Extremely well mantained. Printed score cards, and pencils are available and the donation box. Wide variety of hole designs. low amount of undesirable plants (things which attract bugs, things with prickers, and stuff that makes you itch).
Cons: The little town of Ferry is the only thing for miles, so if you require drinks, and snacks, plan ahead. The residents of Ferry cannot be expected to give directions to the course. The sign at the main road has been gone for awhile, and the cousre is not hard to find with a google map, and directions, but the locals that we encountered in Ferry niether knew where the course was, nor what the hell disc golf was. How sad, the best course in Michigan and nobody in town seems to know a thing about it.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the West Michigan area, a great road trip that my friends and I have made several times, is Brandstrom Park (Freemont), to Flip City (Shelby), and then to Whitehall, (Whitehall, Montague), and then south and back to Grand Rapids. If you make the entire trip you will see three of the best that Michigan has to offer, and shoot 60 hole of disc golf in one day. Resturants are in Freemont, and Whitehall, but nothing much in the middle, so plan ahead.

Fun for kids.

1    5/8/2008   11/25/2009
Review By: JohnnyShoes
Pros: Took a group of students out to play there. Drove 2 hours in a van. The look of absolute amazement and astonishment on their faces as they saw the course was worth it. I love flip city. so should you.
Cons: None. If you can't handle the mosquitoes there are some courses in arizona you can play.

1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 20