Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #4 (Taken 8/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 22
Oh my!

1    9/14/2016   9/19/2016
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: This place is beautiful! Hole 1 is pretty typical but after that is just gets more and more scenic. Views down into the valley, through the woods, etc. The piles of rocks were pretty cool as were some of the other touches on the course like poured concrete designs you can see from various vistas on the course.

Well defined fairways that were well kept made it very hard to lose a disc and yet still with enough challenge to make you hit the fairway.

Loved the elevation throwing drives up and down hills. The one elevated basket was a challenge with a crazy death putt if you were on all but one side of the basket.

Variety of holes made for some easier birdies and then some pretty long bombs that most would never reach in 1 throw. The locals apparently play it all as par 3.

Locals were super friendly. I finished the back 9 with two guys who were super helpful and friendly. I often love catching locals on new courses because most courses will have a spot or two that are hard to navigate. This course is so well laid out that the next tee is very intuitive with minimal need for help. That is a huge plus for me.

Tiny details were considered like brooms on every hole, porta poties on the course, and even the foul line on the teepad was new to me but made sense to keep the front of the pad from eroding due to traffic. Smart move. It seems not everyone loves that but it makes perfect sense to me the more I considered it.

Who doesn't love ending on a downhill ace run? I wish I could have personally thanked those who manage the property. It would take a small army to keep that place up!
Cons: Two cons come to mind:

1 - lack of water. No big deal. The course does just fine without it.

2 - small tees. Because of the foul line the tees play extra short. If you are going to have foul/fault lines it would be nice to have longer tees.

Other than that, nothing at all comes to mind!
Other Thoughts: Pull in the first entrance and drive around to the parking. There is a pay box on the side of one of the buildings in there. Hole 1's tee is right by that building throwing back in the direction of the entrance.

GPS wasn't friendly out there. I am glad I had a map back printed because I couldn't get my map app on my iphone to get a signal to find my way back out and it took a few miles of driving to get a signal back that day. I am not sure if that is typical.

If you are ever within 100 miles of this course come check it out! I was driving from Detroit to Petoskey and took time to try it out and I am glad I did!

Just go play this course already

2-4    7/31/2016   8/8/2016
Review By: SpartanDisc
Pros: There is no way I can capture them all here, but will list a few:
- Great overall layout and mix of holes. There is something for everyone here, from some long open fairways to very tightly wooded. There are righty holes and lefty holes. Uphill and downhill. I find a use for just about every disc in my bag when I play Flip
- A good amount of elevation that is utilized very well. There aren't any mountains you are throwing off, but there are a ton of holes that play on some good sized hills. A few holes offer great downhill drives while a few put the basket on a very precarious hillside that could turn an easy 2 into a 4 or 5 frustratingly quickly.
- This course is immaculately maintained. Being a sprawling private course over a very hilly terrain, I can't imagine what it takes to keep these fairways as beautifully mowed as they always seem to be. The course is clean with great tees.
- Unique and beautiful feel... this course has a charm of its own that makes it just an enjoyable place to walk around even if you aren't throwing. Between the elevation, layout, maintenance and all the piles of stacked rocks everywhere, it is a landscape that is uniquely Flip city
- The new elevated basket on hole 12 is really great... It is built on a 5 foot tall or so wooden platform. While it is a downhill ace run type of hole, the elevated basket can turn a greedy ace run into a tough 3. Not to mention that the basket platform is on the side of a hill, so a putt that rims out can easily fall 7 feet to the ground and roll another 50 ft downhill. A very challenging addition
- The crowd, or rather lack thereof. Since it is off the beaten path, is private, and is pay to play, it never is really crowded and the type of people that make it out tend to be a great group of mostly serious and overall very well behaved golfers. You don't get the army of high school kids playing in a group of 12 with one disc each that you get at some other more heavily trafficked courses.
- On-site camping. I've never done this but friends have so I'm not sure what you have to arrange with Bill to do it, but there is a place to pop a tent. What a great weekend that would be... playing Flip all day then a few beers and camping at night.
Cons: If I really think about it and try to be critical, a few would be:
- No water holes. Honestly a nice over water shot is about the only thing this course is missing
- Only open in the summer. I get that it is a private course so I can't expect it to be always open, but I was in the area once around late March/early April and it was 2 weeks before the course was open so I couldn't play. Oh well, we can't have it all, all of the time.
- It could be a bit more challenging. While most holes have a good aspect of risk (mostly due to the elevation), there aren't a ton of really hard or really long holes. However, I don't always want an impossible course and don't get me wrong, Flip still will get you thinking about your shot selection and challenge even the best player at times. It is the type of course though that a hot round will consist of a good number of very well played birdies and not too many fours.
Other Thoughts: If you are not from MI and find yourself within a 3 hour drive of Flip with a day to kill, do yourself a favor and get over there. You will not be disappointed. Do yourself an even bigger favor and plan enough time for two rounds (though plan to be exhausted afterwards as there is a good amount of elevation to walk up and down).

Lastly, I can't thank Bill enough for building and maintaining this course throughout the years (Flip was an object course going back to 1980). He is a true ambassador of the sport and his hard work has given countless disc golfers a chance to play a course they will surely never forget.

It's a Religious Experience Really...Just get here

1    7/2/2016   7/2/2016
Review By: davetherocketguy
Pros: I am going to forgo my usual format of bullet points...

I'll admit it. Before driving to Flip I had this review written. I was going to nit-pick this that and the other. I was also going to write how a lack of any water hazards held my score back...Never have I been so wrong to even consider thinking along those lines.

When God created the Earth he designated certain areas for our pleasure. Great surfing was given to Southern California. Glorious skiing was given to places like the Rockies and the Alps. When he put his finger on a 50 acre parcel of land God decided this is going to be the most epic spot of disc golf conceivable.

21 of the 24 holes there would be considered the "signature" hole of almost any other course in the world. The first three are a little pedestrian in comparison but the reality is even those holes would be considered "great" anywhere else. Not only that there is something here that almost every other course I have ever played lacks. It's the passion for the game. A passion that shows in every square inch of the 24 holes here from the mowed paths to the ever present stacked cobblestones and rock gardens. I've never seen anything like it.

It's a difficult course to be sure but it isn't unfair. Every disc in your bag will be needed. Every shot in your arsenal will be used - repeatedly.
Cons: I could nitpick the amenities to death and point out that the concrete pads aren't quite perfect, the tee signs aren't spectacular and there was one spot where I had a hard time figuring out where the next tee was. But when the disc golf play is so good those sorts of things in my mind are really irrelevant.

I've heard that Flip can't possibly be the best because that it doesn't have any water hazards. What a stupid argument. What, the gloriously wonderfully laid out holes weren't enough? It's like saying, "Gee, Fenway will never be the best baseball stadium because it doesn't have ivy growing all over the big green monster." Or "Pinehurst will never be a great golf course because it's not on the ocean like Pebble Beach." Or, "Monaco will never be a great track because there is no Eau Rouge there." (F1 fans will get that last reference.). Look, each course is unique and some are great in their own right and just because it's missing something that other courses have has no bearing on how good that course is.
Other Thoughts: Flip is an amazing experience. There is nothing like it anywhere. People come here from miles around to play here and there is good reason for it. It truly is the Mecca of the disc golf world. Make the trek. Buy the plane tickets or fuel up your trusted steed or whatever it takes just get here. Play it and savor every moment.

On a more practical note, bring bug spray and watch out for poison ivy. Just like every other course in Michigan these are thing we all have to deal with. More importantly wear solid footwear. Hucksters with flip flops are going to hate this place. Get some good athletic shoes or even hiking boots are warranted with the really steep nature of the course. Along with that, be sure to bring more than enough water if it is at all warm out - you'll need it.

world class

1    5/31/2016   6/19/2016
Review By: Russell Gore
Pros: BEAUTIFUL!! What more can I say about a course that is this well maintained. Absolutely gorgeous, defined fairways, tricky greens, exceptional use of elevation and the list goes on. By far the best course I have ever stepped foot on.
The owner, is such a humble welcoming gentelman. All I can say is Thanks for the field of dreams for disc golfers. Although it is a 9 hour drive from my home I will go back again someday very soon.
Cons: Um..................its way out in the middle of nowhere? Its 9 hour drive from my home? Lol. I cant think of any!!!!
Other Thoughts: I dont care what you have to do to get there......go play this course!!!

Best Course I have played

1    5/28/2016   6/4/2016
Review By: tdav2937
Pros: This course is by far my favorite course I have played to date. Flip City has the best combination of elevated Tee's and Holes. Good combination of long and short holes. The course is a mix of open and wooded holes but never had to search for a disc in the wood one. Really clear and well maintained. The course was in perfect condition when we played there. Every hole had long concrete pads, unlike other courses in the area. cost is very cheap for such a nice course, only $3 for all day. I absolutely loved this course and will definitely be back, even though I live about 3 hours away.
Cons: No main road to get to this course/ remote location. Mosquito can be bad at times. Bring bug spray.

Over rated but great!

2-4    8/26/2015   8/26/2015
Review By: Journeyman
Pros: Elevation elevation elevation!

This course uses the land as good as any I have played. Cool downhill runs, blind throws over hills and the toughest "greens" I have ever played make this fun and interesting.

Private- no non disc golfers to worry about.

Scenic! Beautiful.

Basically a par 3, with a couple of par 4's. Hard to get into too much trouble, unless you catch a roll of a "green".

Well maintained fairways. Fairways were really nice, roller options if you want.

Benches at most holes.

"Huts" are great!
Cons: Too straight. Most of the holes are straight. I found myself using my Impact on most holes. I played 3 rounds and I think I used my drivers about 10 times total.

Pads are getting beat up, some are pretty badly spalled, makes for iffy footing.

Benches need new seats, they are getting bendy.

Not sure the hole lengths on the cards are accurate.

Other Thoughts: I may get blasted for this, but IMHO this course is WAY over rated on this site. Don't get me wrong, it is a destination course (along with the Ludington courses) and you should make an effort to get here. But, it is no way better than Idlewild or some of the courses in Minneapolis. Is is a solid 4, no higher.

Too many of the holes are straight. While they offer different elevations and trees, they are still straight. Not enough shot selection available.

Again, you want to come here, just don't expect it to be better then Idlewild or Lincoln Ridge. It may belong in the top ten, but not #2.

Be prepared for some high risk/reward putts. The greens are steep and nasty. Makes for some great amusement for your competition and frustration for you. Pile some rocks, it is fun.

Hole 2A is stunning! Top rated.

(leave the speakers and music at home, please, this is a beautiful natural environment, if you want music, bring your ear buds)

Simply Amazing

2-4    8/8/2015   8/17/2015
Review By: TywinL
Pros: Bill has done yeoman work creating an absolutely amazing course on his property, and even more breathtaking is the fact that he only charges a dollar to play his masterpiece. Concrete teepads, creative use of the wonderful variety of terrain and just a unique laid-back feel made for the best day of disc golf I've had in a while.
Cons: Ok, let's pick some nits:

There isn't a creek/river, etc running through Bill's property, so there are no natural water carries. If you feel that's really worth marking the course down over, that's certainly your choice. If there were water on site, and it weren't used I'd agree, but I won't mark a course down for what isn't there naturally.

A couple of the tees could be in better shape, but again I won't mark the course down for that. I've played on courses that cost way more money to play that don't even have concrete tees.

Hole 1 is pretty meh, but it leads to the Magic Kingdom, so I'll forgive it...

Other Thoughts: This course and Mason Co. Beast completely reversed my opinion of Michigan disc golf. After playing two of the worst courses I've ever seen anywhere (including the flatlands of Iowa) I was ready to skip the disc golf portions of the camping trip my cousin and I had planned. Holes 1 and 2 only made things worse. I was really in a foul mood and not ready to love this course at all. I was having trouble envisioning how a course in some guy's front yard got the love it does on this site. By hole 7 my attitude had done a complete 180. At then end of our round I immediately wanted to play the course again. By the end of round 2 I never wanted to leave (well, not quite that, I love Colorado too much to leave. But I definitely wanted to scoop Flip up whole and bring it back out west with me!)

I usually don't review courses unless I disagree with many of the reviewers, but I wanted to thank Bill for what he's created. Honestly, I'm blown away and humbled that someone has done so much work and shares it with the world for next to nothing. If you only leave Bill $1 you're cheating yourself. It seems like every dollar from the course goes back into the course (along with many more). Thank you so much for what you created Bill, and to anyone else who helps you keep up this unique gem of a course.

Worth the Pilgrimage

5+    7/11/2015   7/13/2015
Review By: SneakyJedi
Pros: - Fun and exciting golf for all skill levels
- Fantastic use of elevation throughout at both fairways and greens
- Good variety of holes that both require different shots, and allow for different routes
- Excellent atmosphere unlike any other disc golf course
- Baskets catch well, benches by tee pads, and a couple shelters spaced throughout
- Camping available on site
Cons: - Concrete tee pads are on the small side, and some have minor to moderate spalls, with others frequently covered in sand
- No real tee signs with distance or other descriptive information
- No water hazards, though I never miss this fact during a round
- Only one set of pads/pins
Other Thoughts: After my third pilgrimage to Flip City, and having played many more courses in more states than my first visit 3 years ago, I decided to finally add my review of this amazing course. While my course totals and nation wide coverage are not up to the impressive levels many users of this site can claim, I feel like I have played enough courses throughout this country (including many currently top rated courses) to say that Flip City has an atmosphere and energy unlike any other disc golf course.

My level of excitement while driving down the gravel roads through rural Michigan to this destination course has increased with every trip. Once you park and drop your paltry $3 into the box by hole 1, Flip starts you off relatively easily, but by the time you reach holes 4 and 5, things have really started to ramp up and your adventure up and down the secluded hills of Flip City begins in earnest.

I really don't think there is a bad hole on the course, and the majority of holes could be the signature hole on a lot of courses. A good balance is struck between allowing you to play your, while still requiring sot shaping and variety. The course does play a bit more open, and favors a RHBH approach off the pad more often than not.

The hills and elevation change really are the stars of the show at Flip. Throwing up, down, and across hills, and towards baskets placed in various degrees of precariousness is incredibly fun and encourages thoughtful risk/reward play. I never missed the lack of water hazards during a round at Flip, but it is a design feature not available here.

The level of challenge at Flip is such that even beginner players can enjoy a round without feeling punished by the course, but more advanced players can hunt for the many birdie opportunities and not be bored. Multiple tee and pin positions would be a welcome feature that is becoming increasingly common at new courses, but the quality of golf from the existing layout is strong enough that this lack isn't much of a problem. I have played with people covering a large

The Mach V's are in good repair and catch well, and the benches, shelters, and port-a-potties are all welcome amenities throughout the course. Descriptive tee signs for each hole would be nice, especially since this is a destination course with many people traveling significant distances to play. While the "foul line" at the end of the tee pads are nice, in my opinion the pads are too short for it to be practical. At just over 6' my X-step approach was using the entire concrete pad. Several of the pads also had areas of spalled concrete and/or a significant amount of sandy dirt on them. I slipped 2 or 3 times during my last trip, and while I think I remember seeing brooms to clear off pads on previous visits, I didn't this time.

Every round I've played at Flip City has been immensely fun, there really aren't enough superlatives to describe the experience, you just need to do it for yourself. Even the brand new, played-5-times-before-now player in my group this past weekend appreciated what a great place Flip is, and had a great time. The course isn't without its flaws, but they are so minor compared to the overall quality of the course. Flip City really is among the "Best of the Best", so do yourself a favor and get out there if you can. Make a weekend of it and play some of the other fantastic courses in the area as well.

For those traveling, I have camped at both Flip City and the Mason County Campground near Ludington. Nothing beats being able to get up with the sun, roll out of your tent and play a morning round at Flip City, but for those who want a few more creature comforts, Mason County Campground has real bathrooms, showers, and places to plug in your electronics, as well as being 2 minutes from Beauty, Beast, and Goliath.

Amazing is an understatement!!!!!!

1    5/2/2014   2/26/2015
Review By: jaimem26
Pros: - Great Elevation
- Great mixture of open and wooded holes
- Very clean, well maintained
- Lots of sitting areas (and areas to break for lunch)
- Excellent high risk / high reward opportunities
- Challenging
- Quiet and great scenery
Cons: None that i can think of. Some may say it is too far away from nearest town where you can get food, gas, etc. but i think that adds to the charm of this place. There is something to be said about being out in the middle of nowhere where you dont hear any car traffic and the only noise you hear is the beautiful sound of chains and cheers.
Other Thoughts: Stepping onto this course for the first time I was very excited and was worried that I had set my expectations too high. Boy was i wrong!!! This course surpassed my expectations which were already very high. The scenery is breathtaking and just kept getting better and better as we walked through the course.

Flippin Awesome!

5+    10/27/2014   10/27/2014
Review By: Steven Hultquist
Pros: This course as well as beautiful is very challenging. It has every shot choice imaginable barring water hazards. I would recommend this course to anyone.
Cons: The only con I can think of it is remote and food amenities are somewhat far away. However, knowing that, I would gladly pack a lunch getting the opportunity to play here.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 22