Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: tomjulio Hole #1
Standing in fairway #1 looking right at the creators house. He built it, we came

1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 20
 Amazing!!!

1    5/15/2010   5/16/2010
Review By: pgriffioen
Pros: This course has been raved and raved, and it's all true. One thing I would like to add is that the course had near to none litter. That is awesome in comparison to the shape of some courses.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Make the mecca.

Thank you glaciers!

5+    5/8/2010   5/8/2010
Review By: SirRaph
This review was updated on 4/28/2011
Pros: Flip City is something special.

The property on which Flip City sits is a gem in itself. A giant (80 acres I believe) piece of land with mature trees and sudden, repetitive changes in elevation. In the fall, the changing leaves and lightening birch trees quite literally take my breath away.
Playing this course feels like half-golf, half-nature hike.

The course is well designed, and even more supremely maintained.
Players will be required to throw an array of shots to attack the pins. And while power players can find some rewarding routes, a player with 300' of power can post a competitive score with a well-played round.

The remote location keeps a lot of the destructive/casual player/idiots away. In the dozen-or-so times I've played this course, I've run into maybe 15 other people total.
Cons: Mosquitos. Bring your repellent or be repelled.

Remote location. Not so much a con as it is a "heads up". Pack your lunch, and bring plenty of liquids. Convenience stores, let alone restaurants, are a good distance away.
Other Thoughts: A very special place to experience disc golf.

Fantastic and Challenging

1    3/30/2010   3/31/2010
Review By: smyith
Pros: - The Rock art was amazing and truly appreciated
- Teepads are consistent and level
- Easy to navigate course.
- Lots of shot variety
- Excellent use of available land.
- Pin placements were optimal
- Lots of benches
- Beautiful scenery
- Really fun to play
- Lots of up and down for a descent workout
- Three well placed shelters (smoking spots)
- Beer allowed
- Port-a-potties
Cons: - Lack of trash cans throughout course. Lots in the center but nothing on the outer edges.
- Am and Jr. pads are dirt and not well marked
- I felt every hole was truly reachable in two throws or less.
- Its western LP Michigan, there is sand everywhere, why are there no brooms for the teepads?
- Although teepads were level behind the pad (the run-up) were not always even or barely even any room.
- Tee Signs sucked!!!! Only the hole number was posted. If you dont grab a score card you will not know the distances or necessarily were the pin is. I would rate the course a 5 had the tee signs been better.
Other Thoughts: It's not the best course I've ever played, thats for sure. Although there were lots of shot varieties they weren't that demanding for accurate placement. If I were putting better well that and the roll-aways, I could've easily shot a negative score.
I will be back in Ludington again in a couple months and will be making another trip down to Flip City to see the difference between spring and summer there.

Favorite Hole #4 - This is 293ft that has a flat fairway 90% of the way then it sharply raises up and the basket is place on the hill slant. The trees lining the fairway funnel down as you continue down the fairway to about a 15-20' wide opening just before the basket. Plays more like a 350' hole with a very straight drive to try and run the disc up the hill. Trees block a direct line from the tee. You must be very careful when putting, if you don't make it or land parallel you will most likely roll all the way down the hill again.

2-4    1/26/2010   1/26/2010
Review By: Adam_Valk
Pros: This course will challenge every shot in your bag. It allows you as a golfer to focus on your shot making ability rather than just plain luck.
Cons: The only thing that keeps this course from being a 5 in my mind is their isn't any water hazards. I know there have been obstacles built to replace the lack of water, but water on this course would make this course even more beautiful.
Other Thoughts: The bugs are a given especially in the hot summer months, but overall a great course.

I will miss this course

1    10/9/2009   12/26/2009
Review By: discer
Pros: Many long holes which I personally like, and some shorter more technical hole as well. A true 24 hole Pro Course. A must if you are living in, or planning to visit Michigan. Well layed out. Much attention to detail, including rock gardens, and other artistic add-ons. A couple of shelters in case of rain. Trash cans to keep the area nice and clean. Extremely well mantained. Printed score cards, and pencils are available and the donation box. Wide variety of hole designs. low amount of undesirable plants (things which attract bugs, things with prickers, and stuff that makes you itch).
Cons: The little town of Ferry is the only thing for miles, so if you require drinks, and snacks, plan ahead. The residents of Ferry cannot be expected to give directions to the course. The sign at the main road has been gone for awhile, and the cousre is not hard to find with a google map, and directions, but the locals that we encountered in Ferry niether knew where the course was, nor what the hell disc golf was. How sad, the best course in Michigan and nobody in town seems to know a thing about it.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the West Michigan area, a great road trip that my friends and I have made several times, is Brandstrom Park (Freemont), to Flip City (Shelby), and then to Whitehall, (Whitehall, Montague), and then south and back to Grand Rapids. If you make the entire trip you will see three of the best that Michigan has to offer, and shoot 60 hole of disc golf in one day. Resturants are in Freemont, and Whitehall, but nothing much in the middle, so plan ahead.

Fun for kids.

1    5/8/2008   11/25/2009
Review By: JohnnyShoes
Pros: Took a group of students out to play there. Drove 2 hours in a van. The look of absolute amazement and astonishment on their faces as they saw the course was worth it. I love flip city. so should you.
Cons: None. If you can't handle the mosquitoes there are some courses in arizona you can play.

Michigans finest

1    11/14/2009   11/14/2009
Review By: Terry C
Pros: -very well manicured
-nice flow to the course,(i cant imagine anyone getting lost)
-great "break" spots all over the course
-very hilly,unique park
-24 holes!! 18 plus 6 alternates
-cement tee pads,signs,pole markers for every hole
-brooms on every hole
-beautiful laid back country atmosphere
-port o potties at 2 spots on the course
Cons: Any park can be improved upon but this park is as near to perfect as ive seen or played, Ive got no complaints.
Other Thoughts: Its a long drive for me ( 2 hours each way) but its the best course ive played in michigan so far. Get your beer and goodies somewhere on the way becouse the course is pretty far away from any towns with stores, new era and shelby are somewhat close but its going to be easier to grab necesities on the highway drive first. When I was out there I met several real cool guys, we bbq'ed some food and had a blast!!. We played the course twice, once singles and once doubles. I would highly recomend anyone from michigan get to this park and check it out. It says on the scorecard you get at flip "tread lightly", this is what seperates flip from a public DGC, Its clean and litter free here. Lets take care of this beautiful course.

The Best

2-4    8/25/2009   10/22/2009
Review By: onehundred_bees
Pros: Beautiful landscape and great views. CLEAN. Almost deserted. Plenty of signs to help you find your way. Lots of places to rest.
The course is challenging but still fun. Even if you are having an off day, you will still have a great time at Flip. It really is a little slice of paradise.
The added 6 hole loop gives you the option of playing 18 or 24.
Cons: None.
Other Thoughts: From Detroit area it's about a 4-4.5 hour drive. We planned to play Flip and then eat and drive to another nearby course for round 2....but, we loved Flip so much that we decided to scrap our plans and stay and play it again.

Believe the Hype!!

1    10/20/2009   10/21/2009
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Best use of available land I have ever seen
Great Flow, No problems with Navigating
Wide variety of shot types and distances
Visually Amazing, Best I've ever seen
30 years of work put into the course and every second of it comes through
Lots and lots of tables, benches, Gazebos, porta-jons, signs, landscaping and Rock Sculptures
Friendly and Hospitable Owner
Combination Great Disc Golf course and Great Nature Hike
Challenging but not Frustrating
It was Great to have a course this amazing all to myself. Almost zero traffic
Clean, mowed, well kept, no trash and surprisingly, no vandalism (except for encouraged vandalism)
Cons: Absolutely Nothing
Bill told me that the famous Dog (course greeter) died over the summer. I was sorry to hear it. I was looking forward to meeting that dog
Also I didn't have any money so I was unable to make a donation (Sorry again Bill) but I promise I'll be back and tip double next time
Other Thoughts: After a Long drive from Ohio I arrived at this famous and secluded course and was greeted by the owner. Can't say enough good things about him. very friendly and hospitable. He showed me around and we talked about the course. Then it was time for some Disc Golf

You don't just play this course, you appreciate it. I after the first 2 holes I thought to myself "I drove 7 hours for this?" And just as I was beginning to think it wasn't gonna live up to my expectations It totally blew my mind

The amount of work that must go into this course is astounding. It took me almost and hour and a half to play the 1st nine holes because I kept stopping to take in everything and admire the work. You could give someone acres of land a a huge budget and they would not be able to build a better course

It worked out that this course was the 50th course I've ever played and I can't think of a better one to reach that milestone on. 50 courses means that I've played a lot of holes and at least 8-10 holes on this course could be the signature hole on any other course I've ever played.

I played Idewild about a month ago and comparing the two courses is difficult because they are so different. Idewild is bigger, tougher and you need a higher skill level to master it. But this course is much more fun. I can't wait to come back. Hands down the best I've ever played

Take care of this course so it remains open to the public. Throw your trash away and don't vandalize anything except what he has set out to write messages on. And don't be like me, give the man some money so he can continue to improve this very amazing place

Simply amazing

1    10/13/2009   10/21/2009
Review By: Opus
Pros: There is not much that I can say that has not already been said. This course, hands down, is by far the best course I have played. The course is laid out in a fantastic way. It makes excellent use of the area.

The course is maintained to the level of immaculate. I could not find a single piece of trash anywhere. The fairways are mowed to a level of almost perfection. Trash cans can be found at just about every hole. Benches and picnic tables are available at multiple spots for resting. Most holes have a broom to sweep the pad with too.

I could go on and on about this course, but I think you can get the picture by now.
Cons: Absolutely nothing. This course is perfect. Since my disks tend to be magnets to water, I am thrilled that there are no water hazards here.
Other Thoughts: This course is obviously going to draw you in because it is a disc golf course, but there is so much to see here. It is very evident that the creator loves the game and enjoys having people come to play. The time alone that must have been put into this place leaves my mind in overload when trying to contemplate it. The artwork would be a reason enough alone to want to see/play this course.

1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 20