Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #2 (Taken 8/2009)

1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 20
  I will miss this course

1    10/9/2009   12/26/2009
Review By: discer
Pros: Many long holes which I personally like, and some shorter more technical hole as well. A true 24 hole Pro Course. A must if you are living in, or planning to visit Michigan. Well layed out. Much attention to detail, including rock gardens, and other artistic add-ons. A couple of shelters in case of rain. Trash cans to keep the area nice and clean. Extremely well mantained. Printed score cards, and pencils are available and the donation box. Wide variety of hole designs. low amount of undesirable plants (things which attract bugs, things with prickers, and stuff that makes you itch).
Cons: The little town of Ferry is the only thing for miles, so if you require drinks, and snacks, plan ahead. The residents of Ferry cannot be expected to give directions to the course. The sign at the main road has been gone for awhile, and the cousre is not hard to find with a google map, and directions, but the locals that we encountered in Ferry niether knew where the course was, nor what the hell disc golf was. How sad, the best course in Michigan and nobody in town seems to know a thing about it.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the West Michigan area, a great road trip that my friends and I have made several times, is Brandstrom Park (Freemont), to Flip City (Shelby), and then to Whitehall, (Whitehall, Montague), and then south and back to Grand Rapids. If you make the entire trip you will see three of the best that Michigan has to offer, and shoot 60 hole of disc golf in one day. Resturants are in Freemont, and Whitehall, but nothing much in the middle, so plan ahead.

Fun for kids.

1    5/8/2008   11/25/2009
Review By: JohnnyShoes
Pros: Took a group of students out to play there. Drove 2 hours in a van. The look of absolute amazement and astonishment on their faces as they saw the course was worth it. I love flip city. so should you.
Cons: None. If you can't handle the mosquitoes there are some courses in arizona you can play.

Michigans finest

1    11/14/2009   11/14/2009
Review By: Terry C
Pros: -very well manicured
-nice flow to the course,(i cant imagine anyone getting lost)
-great "break" spots all over the course
-very hilly,unique park
-24 holes!! 18 plus 6 alternates
-cement tee pads,signs,pole markers for every hole
-brooms on every hole
-beautiful laid back country atmosphere
-port o potties at 2 spots on the course
Cons: Any park can be improved upon but this park is as near to perfect as ive seen or played, Ive got no complaints.
Other Thoughts: Its a long drive for me ( 2 hours each way) but its the best course ive played in michigan so far. Get your beer and goodies somewhere on the way becouse the course is pretty far away from any towns with stores, new era and shelby are somewhat close but its going to be easier to grab necesities on the highway drive first. When I was out there I met several real cool guys, we bbq'ed some food and had a blast!!. We played the course twice, once singles and once doubles. I would highly recomend anyone from michigan get to this park and check it out. It says on the scorecard you get at flip "tread lightly", this is what seperates flip from a public DGC, Its clean and litter free here. Lets take care of this beautiful course.

The Best

2-4    8/25/2009   10/22/2009
Review By: onehundred_bees
Pros: Beautiful landscape and great views. CLEAN. Almost deserted. Plenty of signs to help you find your way. Lots of places to rest.
The course is challenging but still fun. Even if you are having an off day, you will still have a great time at Flip. It really is a little slice of paradise.
The added 6 hole loop gives you the option of playing 18 or 24.
Cons: None.
Other Thoughts: From Detroit area it's about a 4-4.5 hour drive. We planned to play Flip and then eat and drive to another nearby course for round 2....but, we loved Flip so much that we decided to scrap our plans and stay and play it again.

Believe the Hype!!

1    10/20/2009   10/21/2009
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Best use of available land I have ever seen
Great Flow, No problems with Navigating
Wide variety of shot types and distances
Visually Amazing, Best I've ever seen
30 years of work put into the course and every second of it comes through
Lots and lots of tables, benches, Gazebos, porta-jons, signs, landscaping and Rock Sculptures
Friendly and Hospitable Owner
Combination Great Disc Golf course and Great Nature Hike
Challenging but not Frustrating
It was Great to have a course this amazing all to myself. Almost zero traffic
Clean, mowed, well kept, no trash and surprisingly, no vandalism (except for encouraged vandalism)
Cons: Absolutely Nothing
Bill told me that the famous Dog (course greeter) died over the summer. I was sorry to hear it. I was looking forward to meeting that dog
Also I didn't have any money so I was unable to make a donation (Sorry again Bill) but I promise I'll be back and tip double next time
Other Thoughts: After a Long drive from Ohio I arrived at this famous and secluded course and was greeted by the owner. Can't say enough good things about him. very friendly and hospitable. He showed me around and we talked about the course. Then it was time for some Disc Golf

You don't just play this course, you appreciate it. I after the first 2 holes I thought to myself "I drove 7 hours for this?" And just as I was beginning to think it wasn't gonna live up to my expectations It totally blew my mind

The amount of work that must go into this course is astounding. It took me almost and hour and a half to play the 1st nine holes because I kept stopping to take in everything and admire the work. You could give someone acres of land a a huge budget and they would not be able to build a better course

It worked out that this course was the 50th course I've ever played and I can't think of a better one to reach that milestone on. 50 courses means that I've played a lot of holes and at least 8-10 holes on this course could be the signature hole on any other course I've ever played.

I played Idewild about a month ago and comparing the two courses is difficult because they are so different. Idewild is bigger, tougher and you need a higher skill level to master it. But this course is much more fun. I can't wait to come back. Hands down the best I've ever played

Take care of this course so it remains open to the public. Throw your trash away and don't vandalize anything except what he has set out to write messages on. And don't be like me, give the man some money so he can continue to improve this very amazing place

Simply amazing

1    10/13/2009   10/21/2009
Review By: Opus
Pros: There is not much that I can say that has not already been said. This course, hands down, is by far the best course I have played. The course is laid out in a fantastic way. It makes excellent use of the area.

The course is maintained to the level of immaculate. I could not find a single piece of trash anywhere. The fairways are mowed to a level of almost perfection. Trash cans can be found at just about every hole. Benches and picnic tables are available at multiple spots for resting. Most holes have a broom to sweep the pad with too.

I could go on and on about this course, but I think you can get the picture by now.
Cons: Absolutely nothing. This course is perfect. Since my disks tend to be magnets to water, I am thrilled that there are no water hazards here.
Other Thoughts: This course is obviously going to draw you in because it is a disc golf course, but there is so much to see here. It is very evident that the creator loves the game and enjoys having people come to play. The time alone that must have been put into this place leaves my mind in overload when trying to contemplate it. The artwork would be a reason enough alone to want to see/play this course.

Fantastic

2-4    10/12/2009   10/19/2009
Review By: mashnut
This review was updated on 8/8/2013
Pros: This course is the epitome of what a disc golf course should be. The land is perfect for a course, with varied terrain from rolling easy hills to some steep drops and climbs. The course uses the elevation extremely well to create interest and challenge on drives, upshots, and even in the area around the basket to add a risk/reward element to putts. Most of the course plays on grassy fairways through a very nice wooded area. There is a great mix of more open holes with tree lined fairways, and technical holes where you have to hit gaps through the trees.

The course felt like it had a great balance in hole lengths. There were a few short ace run type holes, and a few long holes where you could rip a drive, and lots of holes in between. The course felt very balanced between right and left turning shots, and called for lots of different types of shots to score well. There is a ton of variety here, and every one of the 24 holes felt unique and special.

The atmosphere here is some of the best you'll ever find. You will feel like you are alone in the wilderness, the course is very secluded and peaceful. The scenery is beautiful, and all the best spots to sit and look have tables and shelters to take a break and enjoy the views. The course owner is extremely hospitable, and went out of his way to welcome us to his land to camp and play disc golf.

The long tees are very nice concrete pads with good texture and a clear fault line with a follow through area. There are two other sets of tees for each hole that are natural and marked with rocks to make the course more accessible to newer players. The baskets are all in great shape. There are numbered posts on every tee, and great maps on the scorecards that make the course very easy to follow. Even without the map, the course has great flow and never feels like you have to walk out of your way to get to the next hole.

The maintenance here is impeccable, especially considering it's all done by one guy. The course was perfectly mowed, with no trash, debris or any kind of vandalism. There were nice benches, trash cans, and port-a-potties throughout the course, all showing just how much work has been put into making this course what it is.
Cons: There are very few things I can find to put here. It would be cool to have hole signs with the hole layout and distance so you didn't have to look at the map for that information. The concrete tees were very nice, but a bit narrow. All very minor things that certainly don't take away from the fantastic disc golf experience here. The course is a little on the shorter side, lots of reachable holes though most do offer some interesting lines.
Other Thoughts: Play this course. Though it may be a little challenging for a beginning player, any level of player will find unique challenges here, and it's accessible even for newer throwers. No matter your skill level, you'll find this course fun, beautiful and challenging.

The course is worth a trip to play, one of two courses I've played that I would recommend a full weekend trip just to play a single course. From the printed maps and scorecards to the rock towers throughout the course, the little things here add even more to the overall fantastic ambiance here, and I would recommend this course to anyone.

1    10/16/2009   10/18/2009
Review By: adamkgourley
Pros: Beautiful course -- would be worth the hike if I didn't even have a disc

Came in the fall -- so nice leaves changing colors and no bugs

Very clean course

Still a beginner myself but I at no point felt lost or didn't know where to throw
Cons: none

Picturesque Paradise

5+    10/16/2009   10/16/2009
Review By: MDeezy
This review was updated on 2/5/2012
Pros: Takes a bit of skill, a few shots require an arm, but everything is not out of the question difficult. Gorgeous well maintained fairways, great elevation changes, and a place made just for disc golf. Tons of character and unique features make Flip City such a unique golf experience. Great maps and score cards at hole 1 make navigating very easy. Large tee pads and brooms at every hole. Course flows very well and even has the option for a alternate 6 hole loop. Too many Pros to list, must experience it for yourself.
Cons: Some areas of the course can be wet at times of the year. Hungry bugs and the distance from my house are other cons in my opinion. Course can also get busy on weekends and in the summer due to its popularity.
Other Thoughts: Anyone who is serious about disc golf needs to play this course, always worth the drive. There are too many good things to say about Flip City, and hard to say something that hasn't already been said. I play this course a few times each year and always have a good time. Bill has worked very hard and created something truly exceptional. The tournaments and events held here are always fun and bring great disc golfers. If you play Flip, please respect the course and donate at hole 1.

Flip City rules!

5+    6/20/2009   10/4/2009
Review By: nrohtlaw
This review was updated on 10/14/2009
Pros: Shy of having no water hazards,this course has everything.Excellent course in the middle of nowhere,and it's private.Never,I repeat,NEVER,played a better course.Lots of rock gardens,windchimes,benches and pavilions for pauses for the cause.If you play hear listen for the noise.....nothing,very far away from any busy roads.Pictures speak a thousand words,would love to have a calender with pic's from this place.
Cons: None,make sure you bring alot of fluids,it's a hike.
Other Thoughts: I challenge anyone to find a better course anywhere.Donate some money at the first tee to help the cause because this course does'nt mow itself.I suggest at least 5 dollars minimum per person,but after playing you will feel guilty about not giving more.Thank Bill for a great time if you see him and pet Pepper the dog.Oh, and please keep it clean,this course is immaculate,keep it that way,pitch in.

1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 20