Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #11 (Taken 8/2009)

1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

5+    7/25/2008   10/21/2008
Review By: Mark R
This review was updated on 11/30/2009
Pros: Open fairways with defined rough areas on most holes that offer many opportunities for power throws. Great cement tee pads. Varied layout with a minority of wooded holes (some holes, like 8 and 13, are both wide open and wooded), 24 total holes, beautiful course. Hole 2A is a 670 foot mostly-open, slightly-downhill with two 'humps' and some tree obstacles. Holes 1A, 3, 6 and especially Hole 11 have great hilltop tees with stunning fairways that are second to none. Terrific maintenance. A private park, some times empty. Porta-jon at back of course is well-kept, an important bonus for female players. Huts at intersection of 8 and 14, as well as Hole 2A provide shelter in case of rain. Rock formations have neo-mystic qualities. Nifty tee signs added in 2009 resolve previous navigation issues. Tons of fun for any player. On site camping allowed.
Cons: Eliminate and replace 5, 10, 17 and 18 and this course would be perfect (i.e. out of reach for basically any competition). However, even this is disputed by some who like short and/or blind holes. If one of the only cons for a course is having to drive eight to ten miles for water, food or beer, you know you're in the right place.
Other Thoughts: A reason to get up in the morning. Highly recommended, not a just a case of loyalty for my home state. Course was impeccable on 7/3/2009 after Bill finished mowing the entire course, making Holes 2A and 11 virtually perfect. Out of the 40-plus courses I've played, nothing matches this course, even others which are first-rate.

5+    10/11/2008   10/11/2008
Review By: stargator231
Pros: cement tees, beautiful holes, fun to play challenging
Cons: i dont really find any cons in this course now they have cement tees on all the holes.
Other Thoughts: this course is probably the most beautiful and fun course i have played. you can come here and have a bad round and still have a good time here.

Lives up to its Reputation!

1    10/4/2008   10/7/2008
Review By: MountainMan
Pros: Great variety of holes and required shots. Open enough that you could really air out your disc on several holes. Very few holes that reward luck as much as skill. Beautiful landscape and very, very well maintained course. Just a joy to play.
Cons: Okay, I'll be nit-picky here. It would be nice if the tee boxes had the hole # painted on them so that you were sure you were on the correct hole. This only really came into play on #10 which didn't seem to match up with the map as well as the rest.
Other Thoughts: I may live 2,000+ miles away, but with family in the area I'll be sure to play Flip City every time I head back to visit. What a blast!

Always a Thrill

5+    10/5/2008   10/6/2008
Review By: TunaSled
This review was updated on 11/11/2008
Pros: As others have said, just about everything concerning this mecca is a 'pro'. Varied terrain and awesome elevation changes give every hole lots of character. Very scenic, #11 is absolutely breathtaking from the tee... bring a camera, your friends will never believe you. The course is easier to navigate all the time, there were a couple new signs on our last outing. Even when your game is at it's worst it's hard to have a bad time here.
Cons: That I can't spend an entire summer camping on Bill's property.
Other Thoughts: Allow yourself a couple hours to shoot this course, and by all means do not skip the alternate six holes. Drink it in, take your time. there are plenty of places to chill along the way and everyone we've ever come across here is as friendly as people get. Tag the shelters and represent your home course. Add to a rock sculpture or start your own.

This place is beautiful in Autumn! We may go again in two weeks after more color sets in...

The St. Andrews of DG courses

2-4    9/6/2008   9/12/2008
Review By: gsklein
Pros: Of the 15 or so DG courses that I have played since finding my way back to the game nothing compares. I feel an emptiness playing my local courses I didn't have before my visit to Flip City. (Damn you Bill) I went with a few friends for a weekend of golf and since we all can't stop talking about going back to play at the St. Andrews of DG courses.

You can tell this course was built with care by someone who grew up playing hide and seek on every inch of the land it's on. The way the holes make use of the terrain and elevation to toy with your head is amazing. Tee pads that make you feel comfortable throwing at baskets that make you use every trick you know. (Like the Wheel on #18) No two holes play the same and when you have 24 holes on a course that's saying a lot.

So sure you can play 5 plus courses in the area and have a great couple days. Sure you can see some of the best landscapes east of the Mississippi. You can make friends with people who you would never talk to if you didn't meet them making chains rattle. But you can't get anywhere near this course and make the mistake of not playing it. It's brought my joy for playing the game to a new level.
Cons: It isn't closer to my house.
It isn't a beginner friendly course.

Other Thoughts: Beauty is in the details, the pads, the brooms, the Sector cut ruff. Bill gets my vote for best land owner ever.

5 star course!

5+    9/9/2010   9/11/2008
Review By: discNDav
This review was updated on 9/13/2010
Pros: Everything...a lot has been said before. Located on private property, 24 holes,
scenic, challenging, not too long, rock lined fairways and paths, rock gardens, easy to follow without a map, cement tees. Tree stumps with rocks on top of them preventing you from tripping over them, plenty of shade.

The tee areas are now marked with numbers.The tees have more cement in front of the black line with helps with footing and prevents erosion, this is a very nice.

Very clean. I usually pick up a stray bottle or can every round that I play, but I didn't see any litter to pick up.

The elevation changes are terrific!

Hole 2a is a great par 4.
Cons: It is hard to come up with a negative. It's not a world class challenge on every hole. I'd say only 3 holes are par 4....2, 2A and 16.

17 & 18 are not great finishing holes, both can be birdied with a short left to right tee shot.
Other Thoughts: I plan on returning every September when I'm only 2.5 hours from Flip City.

In Sept 2009, I drove 300 miles round trip to play FC for my 2nd/3rd rounds there. It is as good and I remembered it. The fairways were being mowed as I played and I got got to meet Bill, the owner. He is my hero for creating such a masterpiece.

I played extremely well considering the state of my current level, this course brought out the best of me on 9/3/09.

Again on 9/9/10, this course remains the same, simply spectacular!

There are a lot of holes where the basket can not be seen form the tee, this is neither a positive or negative.

Try a huge hyzer shot immediately off the tee of 1A, I was able to pin it twice doing this.

Flip city

2-4    8/19/2008   9/10/2008
Review By: DR.M
Pros: Every hole has somthing different. wether it be on top of a hill and going straight across with a valley beneath you or a very long hole with alot of trees in the way. This course is a fun and challenging course to play at. it is a very beautiful course and the owner takes good care of it.
Cons: I don't think there is anything wrong with this course. only if your stupid like me and chuck a disc into the woods only to find it 30 min. later.
Other Thoughts: Rocks line the hole place. its really cool. bring food and water or whatever you want to bring because there is no gas station or market anywhere around there.

Disc Golf Heaven!

1    9/6/2008   9/9/2008
Review By: Paul H.
Pros: Honestly, I don't even know where to begin.
When you drive up to the course, it looks like someone stuck some baskets in their front yard. Cool holes to be sure, but for the first few holes, you have very few clues as to what awaits you...

It's when you get over the first hill that you begin to see the beauty of this place. Prepare to be amazed.

The owner, who sadly was not around on the day I played, put his heart and soul into this course.

Quick highlights:
-The best tee pads EVER! Smooth concrete with a foul line and rounded run-off area.
-Brooms at every hole. Seriously, what an awesome touch!
-Well groomed fairways, with paths cut through the roughs. Another nice touch, as the grid-like paths help locate an errant disc which may have landed in the tall grasses.(Wink wink!)
-"Ace rocks" which are hand painted rocks with the name and date of aces for a particular hole.
-Port-a-potties, which considering the remote location are a godsend.
-Gazebos, benches, and a shed, where you are actually invited to sign your name and home course. Places to relax and take in the beauty of this area.
-Rocks placed atop "jimmies", the stumps leftover from clearing wooded paths. For a klutz like me, it saved my ankles!

Nice, you may say, but how does it play?

As others have mentioned in their reviews, this course brings out every shot in your arsenal, and a few you didn't even know you had!
Challenging technical holes, open "grip-it-and-rip-it" holes, and everything in between. I used just about every disc in my bag.
We played all 24 holes twice. I can't imagine skipping any holes here. There is just so much variety here. I felt that my game improved after a couple of rounds.

If only all courses were put together with so much love.

I will be making a pilgramage every year from my home in Wisconsin to play Flip City. I fell in love with this place.
Cons: That it's not in Wisconsin!
Other Thoughts: Words cannot possibly do this course justice. Nor can photos. It simply MUST be played. I don't care how far you have to travel, you owe it to yourself to play here.
You can camp onsite, too, which is what I'm gonna do next year. A weekend at Flip City....I can't wait!

This IS disc golf!!

2-4    9/6/2008   9/9/2008
Review By: timmi_g
Pros: This course is awesome!
Bill used the land better then any other course I've played. All of the holes are beautifully designed, & take the natural surroundings in to account. The lay out flows very well from hole to hole, you never feel like you just played the same hole a few back.

The course is clean, well maintained, a blast to play. Very challenging, You will use every shot you have, & some you make up along the way. The grassy rough areas have paths cut through them to help you locate the discs that get away.

It truly is all of the little things that make this course stand far above the rest.

There is a suggested donation, but after playing this course it is worth every penny & then some. One man takes care of the whole thing, & does a smashing job of it. (14 hrs of lawn care, by one man!)
Cons: It's not in Wisconsin...
And I didn't get to meet Bill. =(
(there's always next year)
Other Thoughts: Bill is my hero!!

If you haven't played this course & you are hardcore into DG, don't waste time going anywhere else. There are a bunch of really good courses with in a reasonable driving distance from this one, which makes for an excellent 4 day weekend of disc golfing bliss.

The group I flip with have already planned to go to disc golf Mecca.(as tomjulio put it so well) See you in june/july of 09.

I puked all the way across on the Lake Ferry from Wisconsin to play here.

Thanks, Bill!

PLAY HERE!!

1    8/20/2008   8/24/2008
Review By: DirtyMittenDG
This review was updated on 1/23/2013
Pros:
Hole Variety/Course Layout--
A couple open holes to help warm you up at the start of the course. After that a lot of the holes are moderately wooded and hilly, but theres a few more open holes thrown in to give the course a good blend, the layout is close to perfect!! About every throw in the bag is used on 24 unique and challenging holes.

Course Maintenance--
Best you can find anywhere, its private so its treated as a disc golf course AND a front/back yard. Brooms at each hole add to the great maintenance. There's also nice extended concrete tee pads on every hole.

Course Navigation--
Maps available next to hole #1, very easy to navigate, also the spot where the course splits from 18 holes to 24 is marked very well.

Course Atmosphere--
The awesome pics still cant really show how great this course is. Just a cool, layed back, fun course in western Michigan!

Whenever i'm here it feels like I went back in a time machine in a way. Kind of like how people described the late 60's/early 70's. Ha. Real talk though.
Cons:
Access To Course--
This may be the only real con about the course. You have to take a few "almost unmarked" dirt roads to get there, and it can get confusing if you miss a road.
Traffic--
When you go early on a weekday you don't see many. Even early on the weekend is pretty quiet. On a nice summer weekend you will find a decent amount of people, but I have never met an "asshole" at Flip City. Maybe these people are assholes where ever they come from, but at Flip everyone always seems to be in a good mood and having a good time.

Hazards--
Not really any "disc losing" hazards like water, the rough isnt too bad either.

Cost to play--
It's free, but there is a donation box, and if you dont put any money in it at hole #1, you will after hole 24!! : )

--Also its 20 miles from the 72 hole course in Ludington (Mason County Park) which is a "must play" if in the area.

1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20