Shelby, MI

1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 The St. Andrews of DG courses

2-4    9/6/2008   9/12/2008
Review By: gsklein
Pros: Of the 15 or so DG courses that I have played since finding my way back to the game nothing compares. I feel an emptiness playing my local courses I didn't have before my visit to Flip City. (Damn you Bill) I went with a few friends for a weekend of golf and since we all can't stop talking about going back to play at the St. Andrews of DG courses.

You can tell this course was built with care by someone who grew up playing hide and seek on every inch of the land it's on. The way the holes make use of the terrain and elevation to toy with your head is amazing. Tee pads that make you feel comfortable throwing at baskets that make you use every trick you know. (Like the Wheel on #18) No two holes play the same and when you have 24 holes on a course that's saying a lot.

So sure you can play 5 plus courses in the area and have a great couple days. Sure you can see some of the best landscapes east of the Mississippi. You can make friends with people who you would never talk to if you didn't meet them making chains rattle. But you can't get anywhere near this course and make the mistake of not playing it. It's brought my joy for playing the game to a new level.
Cons: It isn't closer to my house.
It isn't a beginner friendly course.

Other Thoughts: Beauty is in the details, the pads, the brooms, the Sector cut ruff. Bill gets my vote for best land owner ever.

5 star course!

5+    9/9/2010   9/11/2008
Review By: discNDav
This review was updated on 9/13/2010
Pros: Everything...a lot has been said before. Located on private property, 24 holes,
scenic, challenging, not too long, rock lined fairways and paths, rock gardens, easy to follow without a map, cement tees. Tree stumps with rocks on top of them preventing you from tripping over them, plenty of shade.

The tee areas are now marked with numbers.The tees have more cement in front of the black line with helps with footing and prevents erosion, this is a very nice.

Very clean. I usually pick up a stray bottle or can every round that I play, but I didn't see any litter to pick up.

The elevation changes are terrific!

Hole 2a is a great par 4.
Cons: It is hard to come up with a negative. It's not a world class challenge on every hole. I'd say only 3 holes are par 4....2, 2A and 16.

17 & 18 are not great finishing holes, both can be birdied with a short left to right tee shot.
Other Thoughts: I plan on returning every September when I'm only 2.5 hours from Flip City.

In Sept 2009, I drove 300 miles round trip to play FC for my 2nd/3rd rounds there. It is as good and I remembered it. The fairways were being mowed as I played and I got got to meet Bill, the owner. He is my hero for creating such a masterpiece.

I played extremely well considering the state of my current level, this course brought out the best of me on 9/3/09.

Again on 9/9/10, this course remains the same, simply spectacular!

There are a lot of holes where the basket can not be seen form the tee, this is neither a positive or negative.

Try a huge hyzer shot immediately off the tee of 1A, I was able to pin it twice doing this.

Flip city

2-4    8/19/2008   9/10/2008
Review By: DR.M
Pros: Every hole has somthing different. wether it be on top of a hill and going straight across with a valley beneath you or a very long hole with alot of trees in the way. This course is a fun and challenging course to play at. it is a very beautiful course and the owner takes good care of it.
Cons: I don't think there is anything wrong with this course. only if your stupid like me and chuck a disc into the woods only to find it 30 min. later.
Other Thoughts: Rocks line the hole place. its really cool. bring food and water or whatever you want to bring because there is no gas station or market anywhere around there.

Disc Golf Heaven!

1    9/6/2008   9/9/2008
Review By: Paul H.
Pros: Honestly, I don't even know where to begin.
When you drive up to the course, it looks like someone stuck some baskets in their front yard. Cool holes to be sure, but for the first few holes, you have very few clues as to what awaits you...

It's when you get over the first hill that you begin to see the beauty of this place. Prepare to be amazed.

The owner, who sadly was not around on the day I played, put his heart and soul into this course.

Quick highlights:
-The best tee pads EVER! Smooth concrete with a foul line and rounded run-off area.
-Brooms at every hole. Seriously, what an awesome touch!
-Well groomed fairways, with paths cut through the roughs. Another nice touch, as the grid-like paths help locate an errant disc which may have landed in the tall grasses.(Wink wink!)
-"Ace rocks" which are hand painted rocks with the name and date of aces for a particular hole.
-Port-a-potties, which considering the remote location are a godsend.
-Gazebos, benches, and a shed, where you are actually invited to sign your name and home course. Places to relax and take in the beauty of this area.
-Rocks placed atop "jimmies", the stumps leftover from clearing wooded paths. For a klutz like me, it saved my ankles!

Nice, you may say, but how does it play?

As others have mentioned in their reviews, this course brings out every shot in your arsenal, and a few you didn't even know you had!
Challenging technical holes, open "grip-it-and-rip-it" holes, and everything in between. I used just about every disc in my bag.
We played all 24 holes twice. I can't imagine skipping any holes here. There is just so much variety here. I felt that my game improved after a couple of rounds.

If only all courses were put together with so much love.

I will be making a pilgramage every year from my home in Wisconsin to play Flip City. I fell in love with this place.
Cons: That it's not in Wisconsin!
Other Thoughts: Words cannot possibly do this course justice. Nor can photos. It simply MUST be played. I don't care how far you have to travel, you owe it to yourself to play here.
You can camp onsite, too, which is what I'm gonna do next year. A weekend at Flip City....I can't wait!

This IS disc golf!!

2-4    9/6/2008   9/9/2008
Review By: timmi_g
Pros: This course is awesome!
Bill used the land better then any other course I've played. All of the holes are beautifully designed, & take the natural surroundings in to account. The lay out flows very well from hole to hole, you never feel like you just played the same hole a few back.

The course is clean, well maintained, a blast to play. Very challenging, You will use every shot you have, & some you make up along the way. The grassy rough areas have paths cut through them to help you locate the discs that get away.

It truly is all of the little things that make this course stand far above the rest.

There is a suggested donation, but after playing this course it is worth every penny & then some. One man takes care of the whole thing, & does a smashing job of it. (14 hrs of lawn care, by one man!)
Cons: It's not in Wisconsin...
And I didn't get to meet Bill. =(
(there's always next year)
Other Thoughts: Bill is my hero!!

If you haven't played this course & you are hardcore into DG, don't waste time going anywhere else. There are a bunch of really good courses with in a reasonable driving distance from this one, which makes for an excellent 4 day weekend of disc golfing bliss.

The group I flip with have already planned to go to disc golf Mecca.(as tomjulio put it so well) See you in june/july of 09.

I puked all the way across on the Lake Ferry from Wisconsin to play here.

Thanks, Bill!

PLAY HERE!!

1    8/20/2008   8/24/2008
Review By: DirtyMittenDG
This review was updated on 1/23/2013
Pros:
Hole Variety/Course Layout--
A couple open holes to help warm you up at the start of the course. After that a lot of the holes are moderately wooded and hilly, but theres a few more open holes thrown in to give the course a good blend, the layout is close to perfect!! About every throw in the bag is used on 24 unique and challenging holes.

Course Maintenance--
Best you can find anywhere, its private so its treated as a disc golf course AND a front/back yard. Brooms at each hole add to the great maintenance. There's also nice extended concrete tee pads on every hole.

Course Navigation--
Maps available next to hole #1, very easy to navigate, also the spot where the course splits from 18 holes to 24 is marked very well.

Course Atmosphere--
The awesome pics still cant really show how great this course is. Just a cool, layed back, fun course in western Michigan!

Whenever i'm here it feels like I went back in a time machine in a way. Kind of like how people described the late 60's/early 70's. Ha. Real talk though.
Cons:
Access To Course--
This may be the only real con about the course. You have to take a few "almost unmarked" dirt roads to get there, and it can get confusing if you miss a road.
Traffic--
When you go early on a weekday you don't see many. Even early on the weekend is pretty quiet. On a nice summer weekend you will find a decent amount of people, but I have never met an "asshole" at Flip City. Maybe these people are assholes where ever they come from, but at Flip everyone always seems to be in a good mood and having a good time.

Hazards--
Not really any "disc losing" hazards like water, the rough isnt too bad either.

Cost to play--
It's free, but there is a donation box, and if you dont put any money in it at hole #1, you will after hole 24!! : )

--Also its 20 miles from the 72 hole course in Ludington (Mason County Park) which is a "must play" if in the area.

5+    6/16/2008   8/24/2008
Review By: tomingh
Pros: Awesome course, long fairways, technical a great bit of everything!
Cons: come prepared, not many stores in the area, bring bug spray.
Other Thoughts: new tee boxes and course markers are outstanding!

If you build it...

5+    8/17/2008   8/17/2008
Review By: tomjulio
This review was updated on 7/27/2009
Pros: Everything. literally. if I were to picture the perfect disc golf course...one that takes nature into account, that is owned by a die hard disc golfer(a fanatic), that is challenging, serene, located way off the beaten path...is well, perfect....this is it. THIS is the disc golfing mecca.

The intangibles.
PERFECT cement, elongated pro tees.
Privately owned, perfectly maintained.
The owner, is amazing, down to earth..the fanatic.
Brooms at almost every tee.
Each hole is it's own different story..unique.
Bring lunch, beer...enjoy a few relaxing places along the course.
art with natures tools. go ahead..create...you will figure this one out when there.
donations accepted, but not required...although you will want to HEAVILY donate when finished.
Cons: Hmmmm...a con huh? How about that it snows heavily on the lake shore in the winter and that would prevent "most" from playing this course during the winter months.
Other Thoughts: There are so many things to say about this course but I feel by putting into words what this course "is about" would only dilute the feeling of actually playing it. I was laughing the whole time playing because I just couldn't believe that a course that reflects exactly what disc golfing is about (to me) exists...in my hometown area no less. I wish I could give this a six rating...or maybe I should just go back and knock down all my previous reviews by one. The photos of this course attached, well, suck, and do NOT do this course any justice. In fact they were taken before the cement tees were put in place,and it looks like taken in early spring before everything is green.

This should be your mecca. and YES camping on the grounds very recommended. Don't just take my word for
it...

Now go...

UPDATE 7/26/09
New tee number sign posts installed which add so much class to an already classic course. Little wood engraved posts with a copper cap. Beautiful.

(Disc Golf) Heaven is a place on Earth

2-4    8/9/2008   8/9/2008
Review By: Greg Layton
This review was updated on 10/30/2008
Pros: - Long concrete tees that allow you to follow through.
- Incredible detail. The stones capping the stumps are neat and the stones monuments in the middle of the course are awe-inspiring.
- More details... near one tee I noticed a painted rock dated sometime in 2007 commemorating an ace. What other course does this?
- Not only are the fairways immaculately groomed there are also paths mowed through the rough to make errant drives easier to find.
- Some of the best used elevation in Michigan. The sheer variety of shots you have to make here put other so called "hilly" courses to shame.
Cons: - Make sure you pick up a map/scorecard at the first tee as it can sometimes be a bit tricky finding the next tee without it.
- Bring your bug spray, but that should be a pre-requisite for Michigan to begin with.
Other Thoughts: Bill was kind enough to come out when he saw us drive up and ended up escorting us to the first tee when we had a hard time finding it. He's truly a credit to this sport. If you're driving through West Michigan and only have time for one course don't be intimidated by the remote location of Flip City. This isn't just a course, it's a disc golf landmark.

Worth the Drive

7/23/2008   7/24/2008
Review By: FoleyT
Pros: One of the best courses I've played yet. Wonderful variety of holes and challenges. Open yet technical without being frustrating. Elevation changes throughout, uphill, downhill, and everything in between. Will use every shot in the bag. Hole length varies from 172 at the shortest to 670 at the longest. Three tees on each hole, 24 holes total, laid out in such a way, that you can easily make it a 9 hole, 18 hole, or 24 hole outing. New concrete tees (that extend past the foul line, which was a nice touch) on all of the pro tees (Am & Jr tees are dirt and marked by rocks). Plenty of personal touches throughout, rock cairns, 'rock traps' in the fairways, covered shelters, benches, wind chimes. This park is truly a labor of love by the owner/proprieter, and worth the long drive to the middle of nowhere to play. Bring a picnic lunch, lots of water and make a day of it.
Cons: No signs as of yet on the tees, and we got a little confused at one point, but there are maps and scorecards available near the parking area, so it wasn't too hard to navigate. The owner says that more tee markers are next on the 'to do' list.
Lots of bugs, mosquitos in the shade, deer flies in the sun. Wasn't really a problem out on the hilly holes with a good breeze, but the wooded holes were a little maddening. Bring bug spray.
Other Thoughts: Bring a dog treat for the 'official greeter'. Be sure and drop a donation in the can, I can imagine that keeping this course up must cost a bundle in gasoline for the mower. Private course, but an email or phone call to the owner was all that was required to play. If you are passing through Michigan, don't pass up this chance to play the best in the state.

1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20