Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #7 (Taken 8/2009)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18 19
 #1 Disc Golf Experience

5+    1/26/2013   2/22/2013
Review By: billow890
Pros: Layout
Design
Challenge
Risk/Reward
Overall, the layout wins the day, great elevation, mix of holes(wooded,open, ect...) and excellent maintenance.
Cons: Signage-scorecards are more than adequate though
Teepads- a few need some repair, winter salting has corroded some
Other Thoughts: Best time you'll have on a disc golf course! The hospitality you'll receive, the round you'll play, and the experience make this the best course around.

Unique and Well Kept

5+    9/3/2012   1/25/2013
Review By: smorg15
Pros: Very well kept. Unique with the majority of pin placements on steep slopes. Great mix of long and short holes as well as tight to somewhat open holes. Bill runs and keeps up the hole course by himself. Please be respectful to the course.
Cons: The only thing this course is missing is water.

Flip City

5+    12/15/2012   1/15/2013
Review By: nickrockey
This review was updated on 6/28/2013
Pros: Very nice owner, Bill. How awesome to have someone open up his land and build something like this, a true treasure!
+ Tee pads are cement and in great shape. +Trash bins, and people actually use them!
+Amazing, beautiful, awesome, dosen't describe it well enough! There is a hole here for every sort of player, this was one of the first courses I was brough to and it hooked me right away!
+The obvious, cool little rock formations everywhere easily make it 'fun'
+The upkeep, This privately owned course is maintained better than most any other course! Always mowed and clean!
+Risk vs. Reward here is unmatched! You just gotta go for it!
+The 'ALT' holes are some of the best holes anywhere!
+I have never aced here, but someday...someday!
+The flow is perfect, awesome layout, easy to follow
+Rain cover /smoke shacks, benches A++
+Port-o-jons!
+Some of the holes here aren't like anywhere else in that, they are more like landing strips for aliens with a sense of humor!
+I have played good rounds here, and I have played really bad rounds here but I still can't wait to go back again!
+Scorecards are always ready
+I really pretty much like every hole here, they design was so well though out really nothing could make it better!
+Camping on site
Cons: No cons. none. zero. zilch.
Other Thoughts: Be sure to thank Bill for letting you come to his 'home', and be respectful to it!
^Watch your disc!
^Bug spray
^Shoes with good grip
^Don't destroy the landscape!
^Have fun! Best course ever in my opinion!

Everything you hear is true.

1    6/16/2012   12/3/2012
Review By: CavanC5
Pros: The course really is as everyone on here keeps saying it is, it really is the most beautiful course Ive ever played on. The fortunate thing about this course is that the property that its made on is really just disc golf gold, and the course's designer picked up on that and nailed it. The shots are fun and varied to the extent that you really have to think about which disc you want to throw and where it may end up. courses and holes that make you think are what keep me in the sport, and this is as well done as it could be. The rock cairns are picturesque and I absolutely loved the giant disc golf basket mowed into a large grass section that is visible from multiple holes.
Cons: uhh I live too far away?
Other Thoughts: There is a reason why this course steadily sits at number one, even though new courses keep getting made at a higher rate every year. its no joke

2-4    11/14/2012   11/14/2012
Review By: a3wasp
Pros: This is an amazing course in a very secluded location. I have played all across the us, and this is by far my favorite course. This course has many long holes up and down some massive hills. Not only is this a great course skill wise, but it is also very ascetically appealing with rock sculptures and gazebos. If you are to ever play one course in Michigan, this is the one to play.
Cons: I don't have any true cons for this course, its hard to find anything wrong with a five star course.
Other Thoughts: This course is owned and taken care of by one guy, and he only asks for donations in return. so please make sure to leave a donation with him to ensure that this amazing course stays in business.

Wow WOW WOW

1    7/25/2012   11/12/2012
Review By: Redmones12
Pros: Unbeleivably good, i cant begin to say how amazing this course is if possible the pictures dont do it justice, its just WOW. A exactly the perfect course. Only thing missing is a water hole but it doenst need it... the course is just beyond your wildest dreams good
Cons: Middle of nowhere, long drive to courses around it, so hard on a discgolf trip, you have to plan a big circle to get any course worth playing around it... the pads are showing some wear like they were poured improper but no complaints besides i live to far away...
Other Thoughts: BEYOND AMAZING, just plan the day to be here or you will kick yourself for not playing it twice, its amazing.

Disc golf treasure island

1    7/2/2012   11/11/2012
Review By: Sweddymercury
Pros: Challenging tee elevations
Very well maintained
Great variation of short and long holes
A nice workout(up and down shots)
Camping on location
Cons: A couple of the pads are rough
Other Thoughts: 7 hour drive
Better than I imagined

Playing Flip City should be on every disc golfer's bucket list.

2-4    9/30/2012   10/1/2012
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 1/22/2013
Pros: + Elevation, scenery, rock formations, mature forests, sculptures, the most creative layout you'll ever play, in the middle of nowhere
+ Very, very well taken care of; the best I've seen
+ All perfect baskets and tees with rounded ends
+ I've read about the rough before and it seems a lot of it has been cleared up (what once was described as 5 foot tall sumac is now groomed)
+ Rad hills to climb with paths to follow around
+ Unique cardstock map and scorecard, almost feels like a souvenir
+ F L I P C I T Y mowed into the lawn!
+ Bill was super nice and relaxed, humble about the fact that his course is the best in the country and maybe the world
+ A private course and you only pay a dollar to play!
+ Beautiful fall colors blowing up in every direction
+ Well placed signs where 13 and 14 and 7 and 8 intersect (not thrown over though)
+ All the shots and discs in your bag will be used
+ Trash cans and two portapotties were on site when I played, which was very helpful
Cons: - Just more pros would go here...
Other Thoughts: **Update: After playing 7 courses in Charlotte I can now say with confidence that Flip City is the best course I've played in Michigan. It deserves 5/5 discs as well as designation as a top course in the country. It's long, challenging, rewarding, and fun. It's unique, which is a huge plus. Like the rocky and scenic greens, fairways, and basket placements highlight the glory of Charlotte, Flip City impressively highlights Michigan's beauty while blending elements from courses outside this wonderful state. Playing Flip City should be on every disc golfer's bucket list.

Not sure exactly why so many people downvote reviews for this course, but so be it. Flip's in a league of its own and doesn't need anymore descriptions of its magic and beauty. Nevertheless, after seeing 8 downvotes, I thought I'd give a little more to the review.

Hole one starts right next to the owner's house, which really brings to life the fact that this is maintained all by one man. All the holes are measured extremely well, and each one has at least one little surprise. You'll drive from, over, and down hillsides, through woods, out of woods, over rock sculptures, and alongside gardens and plant life you won't see anywhere else. I've never played a more challenging course and I hope to play it again very soon.

Personally, I never felt the course lacked anything. I felt privileged to play here and anyone who makes the trek to this course will be rewarded.

Flip City Solid

1    9/16/2012   9/19/2012
Review By: Glo Roc
Pros: Good mix of open/wooded holes. Great elevation changes. Cool man made rock formations throughout the course.
Cons: Some of the elevated holes play pretty much the same. Felt like I was playing the same hole several times. Many of the teepads need some minor repair. I didn't feel like I was playing the top rated course in the country. Surly there are better courses out there.
Other Thoughts: Wisconsinite who traveled the norther route to MI and the southern route home. Had to hit this up as it was rated so high. A bit disappointed with the overall experience b/c I had such high hopes. That being said it is a fabulous course that the owners take much care in. Would love to have it in my backyard to play more often.

Secluded dedicated disc golf happiness - YES! Superb variety and balance - NO!

1    7/29/2012   9/18/2012
Review By: superberry
This review was updated on 1/9/2013
Pros: Superb piece of property maintained and executed in a way only a true disc golf fanatic can. Risky greens as far as the eye can see - every other pin (if not every) was perched on a ridge, slope, or some other area that truly brought puckering into the thought of blowing by with a missed putt (adding to the pucker factor was the fields of poison ivy everywhere!). Seclusion and private use of the property was absolutely tremendous. I love being able to lose myself in a round, enjoy the peaceful surroundings, and get away from nuisances like road noise, lights, civilization, etc. Extra amenities that can only be found (and respected, not vandalized by worthless and useless chuckers) on a private course add a great dedicated disc golf feel. Ridge to Ridge holes across the valley are always fun to play, and adding a sharp dropoff past the pin on the mid-range holes adds some additional needed skill to your round. I like to be challenged, and while the overall shot selection for my drives here was really easy with midranges and fairway drivers, how they landed or where I wanted them to land was a big consideration. Not only was left-to-right accuracy needed to weave through tree obstacles, but distance accuracy was need to avoid blowbys on the risky sloped greens.
Cons: One pin placement, and although I like it from determining course record, and overall scoring perspective, I do appreciate how much extra variety a second pin position creates. Poison plants and monotonous setting - they're the biggest factors involved with keeping me from having the time of my life out here, truly living up to the hype surrounding the course, and having finally made it to play after a few years of longing and botched plans. I will continue to rate courses as a travelling player, often on business with limited ability to pack extras, and/or travelling on vacation with family where only the best of the best courses can be squeezed into family plans. I was appalled by the amount of poison ivy and oak. It was all over and it was in bad spots. With all the risky greens here and sloped terrain, the possibility to blow by and be surrounded by plants was tremendously high. Travelling on business, having to quarantine shoes and clothes, and immediately wash to avoid serious reactions is a huge deterrent in having fun, or even playing a course. I got into a lot of poison ivy and had to wash immediately, quarantine my shoes, and even be wary of my bag and discs. If you're severely allergic to poison oak and ivy, be cautious here! There are a few holes just for luck-chucking. Don't ever give Winter Park a hard time for having some 'fluck' holes - the pinball piece of junk hole at Flip (forget which number) coming back toward the body of the course after the long hole is absolutely nothing but fluck with no more than a 2' wide twisted gap the entire way to the pin. So is the second hole after that, throwing into a green protected by a wall of trees.
Other Thoughts: I was just horribly underwhelmed playing at Flip. It was a great solid course, I'm not knocking the fun factor, design, or owner pride and dedication whatsoever, but there just wasn't the complete variety and balance that I crave in a course. I wouldn't necessarily feel like I had to play this course again when I head back to the area to pick other courses off my wishlist. For that reason alone it does not meet expectations. That being said, the solid design, risky greens, and neat terrain were extremely well utilized. But like Leviathan, all in all, the holes look the same, same type of foliage, same type of scenery, I just don't know how to describe it - the whole course just "looked" similar. I've heard stuff like "every stone and stick is exactly in its place at Flip", and thus entered my round with huge expectations (predisposition was a negative impact for me), and although the caretaking of Bill is obviously evident, feeling that every rock is exactly as it should be leads me to believe some clouded judgment exists from every brain cell being laced with Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. So, all in all it sounds like I'm coming across harsh, yet the course settled out as a 4.25 in my spreadsheet. Due to intangibles of fields of poisonous plants, lack of gorgeous vistas and varying terrain and foliage, I'm gonna round down here (not really necessary anyway). The solid design, secluded setting, and number of holes introduces enough variety to score very high in my Design Category, but I'm going to stay consistent with my system and round down due to lack of great variety. This course in no 5.0. I know I did this to myself, expecting more from such a highly touted course. It's my fault. Flip isn't the only one to suffer not meeting my expectations, Leviathan suffers as well.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18 19