Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: tomjulio Hole #3
The course "greeter" at basket 3 and his reaction to my missed 10 foot putt. R.I.P. '09

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20
 24 holes of awesomeness

1    6/22/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: lcra0825
Pros: - immaculately maintained (even the brush has rows mowed through it to make finding disks easier)
- hole design is amazing. Every hole looks different and is beautiful to look at
- design of course incorporates many different kinds of throws
- great use of elevation
- benches spread throughout the course for resting
- map and scorecard available at beginning (my friends and I navigated the course pretty well without use of map which leads to next point)
- course flows very well and the alternative holes can be skipped with no extra walking to play the next hole after them -although there is absolutely no reason to skip them because they are some of the best holes on the course
- very fun and while not super easy the course is in no way frustrating. Beginners and Pros alike can play this course
- the maker of the course has all these stone statues placed around the course to add to its majesty
- it goes without saying but there are cement tee pads at every hole and the tees and baskets are labeled with the number of the hole
Cons: - it is nine hours away from me
Other Thoughts: My brother was traveling to Michigan to visit a friend and so i went with him just so I could play this course and it was well worth the trip. I played a few more great courses in the are as well. Hole 1-3 I was like this was pretty good but after that every time I stepped up to the tee I had to stand in awe for a couple of seconds just looking at the holes. This course is well worth a trip to Michigan and I can't wait to get there again

If perfect existed, this is the place!

1    6/21/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: JSquizz
Pros: Well-manicured, challenging, serene, clean, variety of holes.
Cons: The only con is the terrain is probably too difficult for children or people in poor physical condition. It is a long drive from the major cities but worth the trip.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful course, so much in fact you almost don't care if you play bad!

Like No Place Else

1    6/16/2012   6/20/2012
Review By: DurstMajors
This review was updated on 7/1/2012
Pros: Everything was like I imagined and then some. This is THE course to play. Whether you're a beginner or a pro this course will make your jaw drop. Meticulously manicured fairways and very forgiving trees populate this gem nestled in Shelby, Michigan. I recommend this course to everyone I see. Even if they don't play disc golf I tell them they have to go see it.
Cons: Not discovering disc golf sooner so I could have enjoyed this course a long time ago!
Other Thoughts: There is something very special about Flip City and you'll never know what IT IS until you go play there. One round will hook you into planning multiple trips to play this course. I guarantee it!

flip city

1    6/11/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: alimagnetbomber
Pros: great course with a variety of shots. cool stone scultures and scenery. loved the mowed paths through the rough made finding discs alot easier.
Cons: teepads need work very small and very beat up. a few holes are just poke and pray. Personally wouldnt put this course in my top 5.

You can't be unhappy here

2-4    6/17/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: Grublam
Pros: More variety then any other course I have ever played.

Course is so well maintained that its incredibly diffecult to loose a disc there.

Beautiful Stone towers stacked all over the course.

Camping available on site for 10$ a person.

The owner helped us put up our massive tent and got his other friends, who are now invited to my wedding, to help also.

In the middle of no where, so there isn't a lot of traffic on the course.

Disc golf Perfection!
Cons: Unfortunately with the perfect use of elevation changes some may get tired playing this course due to walking up and down. But, that would be entirely there fault for not being decently in shape.
Other Thoughts: I went there for my bachelor party. Met two other people who were the most generous people I've ever met. They gave us clothes to wear, discs to keep, bathing options, beer, vodka, tent help, course tour guides, and we never even knew them before we got there. Crazy. Thanks Jason and Jessica.

Got to play it!

1    6/17/2012   6/17/2012
Review By: cmchavis
Pros: There are plenty of reviews stating the amenities and the good parts of the course. So there isn't much to add so I will list some of the things that stood out.

Of course, Bill has put a tremendous amount of time into the course and it shows. The fairways are clean and clear - the rough is pretty easy to navigate too.

Some of the 'touches' I liked were:

- the directional teepads. They narrow at the front - and give a good indication of where the basket is located.

- The holes, while many of them are short, are usually protected by trees, rocks.

- The transition from 11->1A and back from 6A->12 is very well thought out. The course flows well overall. The only issue I had that I had to refer to the map too is 13->14. Right next to 13 is the tee for 10 and if you aren't paying attention, you'll probably head the wrong direction since pretty much all the other baskets and tee pads are right next to each other.

- The course is very clean - there were _no_ cigarette butts that I could see.

Loved seeing all the signatures on all the sheds that have been erected.
Cons: Not the course itself and the course info does mention it, but the deer flies are killer. Mosquitoes do not bother me, but I was eaten alive by the deer flies - DEET didn't scare them away either.

Mentioned this as a Pro, but looking at the hole lengths this is important to note. Many of the holes are short, but even the short ones have plenty of trees guarding the baskets. Without the trees most of these would be quick 2s.

I played minutes after it rained and it would have been nice to have bag hooks available. There are some concrete 'blocks' around many of the holes to set a bag down on and there are some benches around on other holes though.

Other Thoughts: They don't affect the game, unless you are hitting them - but I love all the rock cairn's around the place. They are all over, in many sizes.

This isn't really a pro or a con, but the layout is really setup for 18-24 holes. There are no front and back 9. There is a trail off of 6 tee pad to bring you to 15 if you just want to play 9 holes though. But once you pass that, you are playing 18 or 24 unless you want to go safari. Because of this layout, there isn't a quick stop at the car after 9 - once you are out, you are committed - bring drinks and maybe a snack.

Both a pro and a con - while there are pro/am/jr tees - the am/jr are just marked with rocks. I appreciate the additional shorter tees, but the rocks aren't as nice as the concrete tees.

I listed the cleanliness as a pro - there were plenty of bottle caps. I think I picked up 30-40 and tossed them. He has a no glass containers sign posted, but that seemed to have been largely ignored. The trash bins are full of beer bottles, so at least they are making their way into the bins and not into the woods.

The family brought me out for a Father's day present - much better than a tie. Drove 3 hours to get here and it was worth it.

Flip is really close to some other great courses in the area too.

I don't care who finds this helpful

1    6/13/2012   6/13/2012
Review By: Lightman
Pros: Great elevation shots.
Tremendous aesthetic appeal.
I drove 2 hours there and 2 hours back, spending $50 in gas and paying a dollar to play and it was totally worth it.
Cons: I wish it was closer
Other Thoughts: I might move closer to this course.

Welcome to Heaven

2-4    4/30/2012   5/15/2012
Review By: Mac423
Pros: It is the disc golf promise land. Without a doubt, the only 5 ill ever give.
Cons: There shouldnt even be a "cons" section for Flip
Other Thoughts: With all the reviews on here covering the course, not much else needs to be said, except: get to Flip

Great Course

5+    6/4/2011   5/4/2012
Review By: badmidget
Pros: Everything. Great Tee Pads, Great Baskets, Great Course Design, Great Scenery... Great Course.
Cons: It's in the middle of no where, so first-timers might have a difficult time finding it.

There are no stores nearby, so bring drinks, snacks with you.
Other Thoughts: This course is on a guy's private property. The first hole is in his front yard... He's awesome for maintaining it all and letting everyone play on his land... Not to mention he created a phenomenal course!

And then I saw the light...

1    8/20/2011   12/28/2011
Review By: Wolfpackdiscs
Pros: I have always heard about Flip. Finally got a chance to play this summer with DJ Hunt, Ric Hunt, RC Hunt, and Travis Smith. I was blown away with every aspect of the course. First of all the fact that i saw ZERO cigarette butts on the course except in designated areas made me so happy. The course is challenging, exciting, fun, and beautiful all within the first 3 holes. The hills make it more of a challenge and the people on the course were all respectful. Bring your big boy (or girl) arm because their is some long shots. But most of all BRING A CAMERA!
Cons: ...um...i could have shot better? No cons

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20