Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: deBebbler Hole #10 (Taken 5/2010)
Hole #10 Basket (foreground), #11 basket (right) and #12 basket (left).

1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 20
  Shelby Nirvana!

5+    8/18/2010   4/7/2011
Review By: Dubbleya
Pros: What can you say about a course that no matter how you're preforming at the time, you're always happy. The layout is phenomenal! This course flows! The beautiful elevated tee shots and awesome rock piles make for an awesome discing experience.
Cons: Hmmm..... Nothing comes to mind!
Other Thoughts: There's a reason this course is the highest rated on this site!

Solid 24 holes

2-4    5/23/2010   4/4/2011
Review By: The Doctor
This review was updated on 7/9/2011
Pros: The course is amazing. Definitely an open caliber course. Has an exceptional variety that makes play enjoyable by all. The little things are what counts here, such as the stone sculptures found along the course.
Cons: Its only one course.
Other Thoughts: Its definitely a must play every year.

Definitely Worth the Trip

2-4    6/21/2010   11/12/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: No matter where in the top 10 you place Flip, one thing is for sure- this is definitely in the elite level of DG courses. What is amazing is how spacious and nice this 24 hole course is for being a private course. Just about all of us dream of designing our own private course and Flip definitely sets the standard.

Variety and Memorable- The course is extremely well-designed. From the first tee to the final basket, every hole has its own personality. I can still vividly picture each individual hole as there is no repetition from hole to hole. The first time you play here you have no idea as to what is coming up for the next hole. The course has a mix of open, moderately wooded, heavily wooded & level, up, down & a variety of distances. The attention to detail also stands out, nicely mowed fairways, all the rock formations, and the ease of navigation stand out in my memories.

Challenging yet Fun, not Frustratingly Difficult- This will not be the hardest course you have ever played, but there is something challenging on every hole you have to navigate. Pinpoint accuracy is not really necessary on most holes but there are places where the rough is punishing if you miss the fairway. On the other hand there are many holes with multiple options available so as not to favor one specific throwing style.

Holes- The weakest holes for me were 1-2 (chance to warm up) and 24 (good hole, but not a great finishing hole), but even these holes are better than average holes on most other courses. I also like that the option for skipping the 6 holes in the middle of the course in order to just play 18 involves no out of the way walking. (Not that they need to be skipped, but they are a little harder than the rest of the course.) This spot is at the top of a hill where all the holes intersect providing a terrific vista of much of the course.
Cons: Not much, Flip just lacks a couple of small things:

Tee Signs- I personally prefer larger, traditional style tee signs with distance and map. Yes, the scorecard has it, and yes, there are small tee markers that are relatively new and sufficient, and I know tee signs cost money, I am just comparing it to what pros other courses have that this does not.

Water- Along the same lines, the course has no water holes (as everyone else has noted), not the course's or course designer's fault since the land has no water, but again ponds, creeks, etc. are generally considered pros for other courses.

Stairs- There is a bit of elevation and I was fine with the hill climbs, but stairs would make nice a nice addition in a couple of spots.
Other Thoughts: Flip is really far away from most of the US population, but all DG fanatics should make the exodus at some point. The nice thing is all the other great courses in Michigan that are nearby and on the way. (Beauty and Beast and Leviathan help to justify the travel costs for coming here.) Also, note that if you use Google Maps/GPS that there are two Shelby, Michigans!!! And the one not near Flip is usually the default.

I may never make it back to Flip City again, but I will always want to because this was one of the most enjoyable rounds I have ever played! Thanks Bill!

Flip City: Disc Golf's Mecca

2-4    10/23/2010   10/25/2010
Review By: Beavis
Pros: Where to start? Firstly, being able to camp next to a nice fire pit less than 100 feet from the first tee was a HUGE bonus; especially considering that most campgrounds in the area wanted around $30 for the night and no disc golf. Great accommodations at a reasonable rate (say hello to Bill and throw him a few bones for the fuel used maintaining the course; thanks again, Bill).
As far as the course, wow. Every hole maintains a character all its own. There is a little of everything: uphills, downhills, bend left, bend right, straight open fairways, tight "Plinko" style fairways littered with magnetic trees, high risk-high reward pin placements, blind drives, impossibly long holes, and short scoring holes. The course is easy to navigate, even without the map and scorecard provided. The expertly crafted layout is only enhanced by the variety of trees and brush along the beautifully mowed fairways. There are plenty of "chill zones" to rest and take a breather. To add even further to the magical nature of this course, numerous rock formations seem to grow out up from the ground like they were summoned by ancient wizards centuries before the introduction of disc golf to mankind. He built it and we came, twice. It's not a course, it's an experience.
Cons: The 24 existing holes are works of art that no one can replicate. Therefore, the only thing that comes to mind is that Bill should buy the Upper Peninsula and create Flip Nation.
Other Thoughts: Thanks, Bill. You are a true inspiration and the state of Michigan is lucky to have you as a resident!

Amazing

1    10/15/2010   10/22/2010
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: I had pretty large expectations coming from Missouri to play Flip. I had read all the reviews and wondered if it was possible for a course to live up to all the hype. As we played the first few holes, I was enjoying it, but it seemed like there wasn't anything there that I hadn't seen before. I soon realized how brutally wrong I was.

Tees- Exceptional concrete tees. Plenty of length (which I feel dirty saying, considering how phallically shaped they were). There were brooms at every tee to brush them off which was very helpful as we went when the trees were all shedding their leaves. There were multiple shelters to chill out and take a break. The metal shelter where everyone signed their name was great. There were some pretty entertaining things on there.
Flow of the Course- Awesome…considering that the 6 holes were added after the fact I was amazed at how well the course flowed. The signage was awesome. Tee signs were great, but there were tons of added navigation helpers like the street signs at the pavilion and a few others. We had no trouble finding any of the tees or baskets. The course made perfect sense….which is so refreshing for a course that I hadn't played before. There was no wasted time on where to go next.
Course Play- The course was a blast. For an average player like myself I found plenty of challenge and variation. I threw every shot in my bag at one point or another. There was a ton of elevation change, which always adds so much to a course. There were quite a few pins in very precarious risk/ reward spots to add some intrigue to putting. A bazillion mature trees of all kinds. I can easily see how the course can be relevant for all skill levels.
Beauty- This was the thing that put the course over the top for me. I am sure that going in the fall only added to the brilliance, but I really felt like I was in disc golf heaven. Some of the views were unbelievably epic. The rock theme was so much more awesome than what I thought looking at pics online. Pictures really can't do this course justice at all. The rocks/ stones really add this extra level of cohesion and coolness that I didn't expect.
Cons: I really can't think of a single negative thing to say.
Other Thoughts: This course was amazing. Everything about my trip to Flip will be emblazoned in my memory for a long time. It is very difficult imagine a course I could enjoy more than Flip. I am sure they are out there, but this was the closest thing to perfection I have played so far. Well worth the 11-hour drive. I hope I get to again soon.

Lived up to the hype...

1    10/15/2010   10/17/2010
Review By: cooktastic
Pros: I have read the reviews of this course and heard the discussion on here for the past couple of years...and I finally got a chance to play this legendary course on our annual disc golf road trip. It was a long haul from Missouri up to Michigan...but the trip was worth it. It lived up to the praise that everyone has given it.

Everything about this course...the big and small details are special.

-the teepads are unique and plenty of room and there were brooms at each to clean the fallen leaves off
-the rock stackings throughout the course are amazing (I was left scratching my head on a few wondering how they were even balanced on each other)
-The trees were beautiful...amazing fall colors (we picked the right time of year to come)
-The variety of shots was very impressive (great elevation changes...short and long holes...open and heavily wooded holes...every shot was there)
-great benches, pavilions, and areas to just sit and take it all in
-loved some of the high risk greens with imminent drop-offs all around them
-super easy to navigate...no confusion at all as to where to go next
-really nice baskets
Cons: -I would really be nitpicking to come up with anything negative to say...too good of an experience to really notice anything bad to say about this place.
Other Thoughts: I can't believe this course is in someone's backyard. I'm pretty sure if it was in my yard I'm not so sure I would ever get much done for all the disc golf I would be playing. A must play for any disc golfer...do yourself a favor and find a way to make it up here.

Changed my definition of a good course

1    9/19/2010   10/9/2010
Review By: ArcheType
This review was updated on 6/28/2012
Pros: This course is truly the defining standard for a good course. It was so good its pushed me to look at my old reviews and see if the courses deserve the scores they got.

-Provides holes for every type of shot and line.

-Rock gardens were so pretty, and the mental pressure to not hit them (BAD LUCK!) really makes some holes a game in your head alone.

-The tees were all level and excellently maintained.

-The tee signs were small and unobstructive to the environment of the course.

-The pavilions are gorgeous resting places. They make benches by holes so much less appealing.

-This course has the best baskets on the market, imo.

-Several brooms were available to brush off tees.

-The course was excellently cleaned and trimmed, the fairways were perfect on every hole.

-The pin positions were PHENOMENAL. Risky pin positions are a favorite, and several of these gave the group 50+ft rollaways for missed putts.

-"Glowie" - play this course and you'll see.
Cons: -The biggest con for this course, it is TOO FAR AWAY!!! I could only dream of living close to Flip.

-Water hazards would've been nice, but in its defense, to build a man made water hazard would be far too costly, and not sustainable. Man made lakes always turn murky, dirty, and nasty with time, due to the environment. Using the land Bill had, he couldn't have designed a better course.
Other Thoughts: With all the great things about this course, the most outstanding of them all was.....BILL! This man is the kindest and most friendly man I believe I've met during my time playing DG. He left his house at after 11pm, led our car down to the campsite on foot, and help us set up camp! Then he led us to meet up with the other members to play some glow. The next night, after we'd returned from Leviathan, he left his house and met us at well after 1am, and brought us flip city mini's and pins! He then said he was sorry he couldn't play, but he had to be up at 6 to go to work! That level of caring and consideration is something you'll probably never see anywhere else in the world.

Also, to the amazing group of guys I played here with: Noill Golf, WorldsCoolestGuy, bizarbies, Jukeshoe, Terry C, and craftsman, I couldn't ask for a better group to disc with. You were all so much fun, that weekend will forever be the heyday of my DG career.

Idlewild visits Flip City

2-4    9/19/2010   10/4/2010
Review By: Fred Salaz
Pros: I just want to say that "This place Rocks"
So I wanted to take my employees out for the weekend to a disc golf course of their choice. I recommended Flip City and everyone got really excited about the trip. So, we leave on Sunday morning and 71/2 hours later we get to the Flip. It's midafternoon and everyone is ready to throw some plastic. Needless to say it was a great experience and seeing the "rocks" for the first time made me feel like I was back in the renaicance period. It was very cool. The course was fun, challenging, clean(gotta be clean) and a blast to play. I got to practice my roller which is something we can't really do much of in the Cincy area. It had everything that I could think of that makes a great disc golf course except water but it doesn't need it. It's great just the way it is.
I liked the gazebo's, brooms on each hole and bench's as well.
Cons: None except that it's too far away.
Other Thoughts: We met Bill and had a few brews with him that evening. He couldn't have been nicer and he let us camp out on his property. I took Bill a "I Survived Idlewild" tee shirt and disc(I'm such a suck up) and invited him to come down to Ky and play Idlewild.

I played the course fairly well and beat all my employees.

nati crew Visits FLIP

2-4    9/20/2010   9/21/2010
Review By: hanesjm
Pros: The course was beautifully designed and the hole lay out was up there with the best. protected baskets tight and open fairways, and a good mix of challenging and scoring holes. the rock formations around the entire course also add a additional element to the course because as long as they are not the short tee markers you have the opportunity to add your own touch to the course while waiting between shots, build something. Good elevation changes with hole that are down and up hill. GREAT COURSE!
Cons: Not a whole lot of distance, longest holes being around 550-650, although the protected baskets do challenge nearly as much as longer holes on other courses. trails in certain places off tee pads and or to the next tee can be a little steep and some stairs would be a great addition (Bill says stairs coming soon). This is a course where the cons are not really a worry because Bill is a man who is always adding to the course and any cons you have not may be pros in the near future.
Other Thoughts: We went up as a group from the Nati Disc Shop in Cincinnati and stayed for two days the hospitality that Bill showed to us and the fact that we where able to camp basically on the course and play a glow round was great. Great course that will only improve more and more due to Bill's dedication to the course and to the sport.

Flippin Out At FLIP!!!

2-4    9/19/2010   9/20/2010
Review By: TheWCG
Pros: Let me start out by saying this place was a Disc Golfers Paradise.. They amount of shots and lines required are up there with all the "5.0" courses I have rated. The course was easy to navigate, fairways were SUPER clean, 0% trash around, and Bill who runs the show out there is by far, one of the most "down to Earth" individuals I've met in the "Disc Golf World". And I loved all the rock sculptures up there too!!
Cons: One of the "Cons" which I hate to say is, there is NO water hazards to be found on this course. All the Courses I have rated a "5.0" have at least 1 water hazard. Although this kinda bummed me out, it didn't effect my rating. I'll tell you why in my "Other Thoughts".. Other than that HUGE water hazard downfall, this place was done right.:)
Other Thoughts: My first impression of this course was a 4.5 rating. I was also thinking of even a 4.0 at one point because of the water hazard factor during my Flip trip. But I had to let these "first impression" thoughts sink in a little bit before I jumped the gun. Water hazards are a HUGE deal to me in terms of rating any course. and this lovely place had none... But the more and more I thought about this course and the feeling I got from it was a "5.0" rating all the WAY!! I couldn't figure out why the feeling I got from Flip was a "5.0"? Then I started weighing different Pros and Cons of other courses that I have rated "The Best of The Best". And the one thing that threw me over to the "5.0" rating was the FLIP GLOW ROUNDS. The Glow rounds here were TOP NOTCH FUN!!! Where else could you have a bunch of beers in your bag, play an EXCELLENT course, and take your daytime fun and just cruise right into the night.. Nowhere I've played yet can offer that on the same level of fun.. So on that note, Flip City is a "5.0" in my book and will always be...
Also, The DGCR members I played with throughout the weekend were all stand up, geniune guys and made my Flip City experience one I will never forget..
Special thanks to: Noill Golf, Jukeshoe, Bill at Flip, ArcheType, bizarbies, craftsman, and Terry C.. All these guys helped make my weekend one of the best Discn trips I've ever had. All these DGCR members are unique and truly genuine people who are all very friendly, humble people and Disc Golf players alike. Thanks again!! I love you FLIP!!!! Keep it up Bill!!

1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 20