Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #12 (Taken 8/2009)

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19
  Exceeded Expectations

1    7/29/2010   7/31/2010
Review By: holdenr22
Pros: I decided to take the trip up to flip city after reading all the reviews on this site and seeing that it was ranked second best in the country. I was skeptical going into it but after playing the course I was absolutely amazed. This truly is the Augusta of Disc Golf. The scenery was amazing and every hole was unique. All the people I met out there were very helpful.
Cons: Cant think of one.
Other Thoughts: I came out with a group of 8 people from Holland, MI. We loved it so much we plan on going back weekly at least for the rest of the summer. If you havnt been there yet, take the time to do it.

Can't wait to go back!

1    7/2/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: Nick
Pros: You have to see it to really appreciate the awesome scenery. Everywhere you look you see rolling hills with baskets on them. Very well worth the trip to the middle of nowhere.
Cons: Don't bother bringing your cell phone cause you won't get a signal. If you do get a signal it won't last. I can't imagine why you would want to be bothered playing this course anyway. Unless you were using it to call your buddies and tell them to come play.
Other Thoughts: You definetly get a good work out walking up and down the hills. My legs were burning by the time i finished. But it was well worth it.

Flip City

1    7/27/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: jwetter
Pros: -Easily the best course that I have every played on
-scorecards and pencils next to hole one so you can easily keep your score
-Alternate first six holes (thats how they get to the odd number of 24 holes)
-Amazing use of elevation makes every hole different and interesting
-The holes all differ in lenght and difficulty making the course challenging yet rewarding at the same time
-beautifiul course and it very well maintained even though it is privatly owned
- hard to explain, look at the pictures of the course and see for yourself
-broom and trashcan on every hole so that the course stays clean and trash free
Cons: -The only cement tee off pads were for the pro tees and the other tees were just marked by rocks in the grass
-It is out in the middle of no where (but worth the drive)
Other Thoughts: When you get there you can see how much the regulars love the course, all of them really appreciate what the owner does. This course is a must play for anyone that is really interested in frolf.

love it

2-4    7/24/2010   7/24/2010
Review By: bearat07
Pros: well-maintained, variety of obstacles and elevation changes, good traffic flow, well-marked. the course is obviously a labor of love.
Cons: watch out for bugs.
Other Thoughts: this course makes me wish i owned enough land to put up my own.

This Course is Heaven

2-4    7/14/2010   7/17/2010
Review By: jayhawker737
This review was updated on 5/10/2012
Pros: -Scorecards and pencils make for great souvenirs.
-Great mix of short holes and lengthy holes
-Use of natural elevation changes is phenomenal.
-Trees that are in the fairways are meant to be challenging, but players can navigate around them (or thru them I suppose) without affecting their overall round score too much
-3 holes have blind shots to the basket which makes the hole more suspensful
-Great atmosphere. You here absolutely no traffic. When you run into other disc golfers they are happy to sit down and talk or play and talk. Far enough from Lake Michigan that the breeze isn't annoying, but close enough to make it fun
-Lastly, the course is absolutely beautiful. I can not imagine having a prettier piece of land. There is no trash or beer cans lying around because everyone respects the course. There are trash cans, brooms, benches, some huts to sit and and sign, basically anything you could want on a disc golf course you get, and more. There is even a kitchen sink, no joke!
Cons: I have only played it for two summers, but bugs are somewhat of an issue, but wont affect the fun of the game. Bring some bugspray and just encourage your playing parteners to get up and throw if you are getting eaten by mosquitos!
Other Thoughts: This is a must play. I traveled up from Kansas City to play this course and I have no regrets whatsoever. This is the best course I have ever played. Its a combination of about 7 courses here in Kansas City, and I absolutely love it. If you ever are in Michigan or just want to play the best disc golf course in the country, regardless of how much you played (I took 2 new disc golfers there and they loved it), you must go to Flip City Disc Golf!

A- = Flippin Fun!! & Flippin Easy

2-4    7/10/2010   7/12/2010
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18 (and more) hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B

(Overall, this is a very happy course - a feel-good experience to the max!! A big part of that is that for the vast majority of holes, Flip City will not slap you down early and often - it will not add lots of strokes for getting in trouble along the fairway. Where this course will bite you (as it bit me a few times) is on roll-ways on the many baskets that are located on or very near steep inclines. On the vast majority of holes (with a few good exceptions) there is very little decision-making to be made - you see the required throw immediately…..and make it.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == B-

(This course will be a ton of fun for people who either have a bigger arm than mine (throw say 450-470') or for those with lesser arms than mine who will be digging the birdies and the fun that comes with that. Both those types have great holes catered to them, but only 3 holes (of 24) do I consider rewarding to me based on a combination of distance and shot-shaping. These are holes 4, 7 (my favorite hole), and 2A (2nd favorite). Bottom line, this course offers very little euphoria for me in the scoring department.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+

(With 24 holes to work with, there are a great variety of shots required. I especially like the unique up-n-over shots (5, 10, 17), since in all the courses I have played I do not remember being required to throw that shot. But, I wish they were not all essentially identical in the throw required: 175' over a hill and curving to the left. Although this course is in the woods, I would consider it an open course since there are very few classic tunnel shots where misfires are punished early and often. As a LHBH player, hole 7 creates an extreme challenge to get to the pin…..and good possible punishment early-ish if I shank my shot - love it….favorite hole!)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A-

(I love how remote and removed from the hustle-bustle this course is! Hitting the dirt roads on my way in shot my anticipation through the roof! Flip is a beautiful and impeccably maintained course - major kudos Bill! The grade in this section reflects how I personally like to "recharge my batteries": in natural and green beauty without distractions from all things man-made (naturally, baskets and tee pads and signs get the pass!). While I FULLY appreciate that many love the creative rock sculptures and the architecturally groovy shelters, unfortunately they knock down the grade in this department a little to me. Another unfortunate knock on this course is due to its immense popularity: the erosion that plagues the hillsides in many places.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == C

(I would consider holes 2 and 2A to be 2-throw holes….and both really good 2-throw holes. 2 is pretty easy to get a 3 on, so the frustration is a good thing if I screw up and do worse than that. 2A pushes me to the max and scoring a 4 feels good…..and a 3 means I am playing as well as I can. These holes add about 3 grading bonus points and gets me from a 3.5 to a 4.0.)
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well this course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. See my profile for specifics on my rating philosophy.

I fancy myself as a connoisseur of good course design and I am a competitive Blue level (950-ish rated) with mid-level power (accurate to 300' with max D of 360'). Since I have played a decent number of courses (150+ 18-hole, 90+ 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me…..and that's the fun of things here.

Flip City=Flipping Good Time

1    7/6/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: bizarbies
Pros: Good course layout. Wonderful views. Bill is a wonderful host. Overall a great course to play.
Cons: None really, if I had one, and its no ones fault but the throwers, is that the rough can be long in some spots.
Other Thoughts: You can tell that much care and love is put into this course, and any level of player will enjoy themselves.

1    7/5/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: hattorihanzo
Pros: Well maintenanced, good shot variety, optional holes for shorter or longer rounds, nice elevation changes, the owner seems like a super cool guy, and plenty of shaded areas to keep the sun at bay. It's also close to some other totally awesome courses, so it's conducive to a phenomenal disc golf weekend if you put it all together like that. I also thought it was easy to navigate for someone not familiar with the course.
Cons: It's too far away from where I live to justify driving there just for the course alone. Although the surrounding courses make up for that a little. It didn't blow me away like I thought it would. The hype was, and is, huge and I just didn't see it. I thought it was a great course, but definitely not five stars. There were no water hazards, no 1,000 foot holes, no giant hill shots; I mean come on. You can't possibly give this course a five star rating. It doesn't even have a pro shop!
Other Thoughts: The rock formations and piles on top of stumps were too cool! Very picturesque and beautiful. It had a down to earth and "homey" vibe that made me feel very comfortable even though I'd played ther once. With some modifications, I think Flip City could be a five star course.

what a weekend

5+    7/4/2010   7/4/2010
Review By: ratoon
Pros: everyone already said everything so ill keep this short.the pros for me start with the drive in.After u make that transfermation from street to dirt ur almost there.The morning dew was just leaving the ground and out of the fog i could see the first basket.After basket 3 i found a meca of rolling hills, lofted tee pads,and a shot selection that was second to none.truly a spiritual journy.Played my first ever glo round in my life here.i seemed to do better than i do when i can see everything.One more pro would have to be the owner. Never met a more hard working guy.thanks bill.
Cons: the course has no cons however i did camp w a couple of people who were obnoxious but hey when ur crossing states and all u want is another knotch in ur belt in the way of courses,it would be kind of hard to appreciate it.so no cons on the course.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend this course to anyone.As someone who lives in the midwest i am fortunate to say i stayed and played 6 rounds of flip in 2 days.i just could not thank bill enough.1 last thought is that although this is free,if u do play it drop the guy at least a dollar per round.it was amazing to hear how people would come and not leave anything.its a dam shame.PS thank u bill for the baby powder,my boy said it came in handy ha ha.

Absolutely Gorgeous!!!

2-4    5/11/2010   7/3/2010
Review By: TrippinBill
Pros: Course Owner:
Both times I played Flip City I saw Bill, the property owner, doing course maintenance. He keeps this course so clean and well groomed he doesn't get to play it very much himself. He lets anyone play on his private backyard course, and I think his generosity is the main reason so many people love this course. Not many people would take their land, build an absolutely gorgeous disc golf course on it, and then let anyone play on it for free. Bill, to me, symbolizes what I think disc golf should be about. Ok, on the the course itself.

The Little Things:
On the first tee pad there is maps, scorecards, and pencils next to the donation box. Every tee pad is identical, and has a broom nearby to keep it free of obstruction. There is also a trash can on every tee pad. There is seating at all but 1 tee pad if I remember correctly. There are a couple of gazebos strategically placed where several holes meet. These gazebos are equipped with ash trays, bottle openers, and trash cans. There are several port-a-potties throughout the course as well. The little things go a long way in my book, and really contribute to the overall experience. Bill has done a top notch job with this.

The Course Itself:
You can play 18 holes here, but there is also 6 bonus holes that flow right into the course if you want to, and trust me, you want to. There is Am and Junior tees that make the holes shorter than playing from the Pro tees, but I recommend playing the Pro tees regardless of your skill level. I'm pretty sure I used every disc and every shot in my bag. It has a nice layout of shorts, longs, and everything in between and every fairway is mowed and groomed beautifully. Disc Golf is the only thing that goes on here so there is never going to be people picnicking on a tee pad, or right next to a basket. I've only played it twice, so I can't say for sure, but it seems like traffic would never be an issue. The course is in the middle of nowhere, and when I was there, I only saw 2 other groups the whole time.
Cons: The biggest con for me is that it is a 2,182 mile drive from my house. I suppose there could be multiple pin locations, but with the variety of holes found here it seems to me that it is not necessary.
Other Thoughts: In closing, this is my favorite place on earth. It makes me want to move to Michigan. For me, Disc Golf is as much about the total experience as it is the actual playing. I realize there are more challenging courses out there, but to me, it just doesn't get better than this. It should be glaringly obvious if you're still reading that this is by far my favorite disc golf course, and I will visit every time I'm in Michigan.

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19