Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #5A (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #5A Tee

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 20
 amazing

1    8/5/2010   8/27/2010
Review By: dukdukgolf
Pros: -amazing variety of holes
-well mantained
-totally original course
-my wife said i smilled almost the whole time
-rock gardens used for OB and rocks on all tree stumps was amazing.
-perfect piece of land for a course
Cons: I played with my wife and very tough to figure out the ladies tee. So many rocks around and they used rocks as markers for the ladies tee.
Other Thoughts: Even with the ladies tees im still giving it a perfect score. Although i know my wife wouldnt give it a 5. I loved it and hope i get to go back someday. Mark the ladies/rec tee with anything other than Rocks and my wife would also give it a 5.

An Outsider's Perspective

2-4    6/21/2010   8/18/2010
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: First, Flip City has one of the best disc golf atmospheres I have ever experienced. There are some courses that make you excited just to be around other disc golfers. This is one of those places. It is secluded, quiet, and serene. I have played a few private courses that give off this vibe. Bud Hill in the Memphis area comes to mind. Exclusive property for disc golf.

Second, the variety of the course was astounding. The land is perfect for disc golf, and it was used phenomenally. Elevation was used on a number of holes. There were holes that were long and holes that were short.

Third, the equipment (pads, tees, shelters) was in great condition. The shape of the tee pads took a little bit of time to get used to, but were not bothersome in any way. Brooms were available at certain tee pads to sweep off debris. There were plenty of benches and other places to sit along the way.

Flip City does not lack for signature holes. If I had to choose one for this course it would be Hole #11 with the rock art statues in the valley of the fairway. However, Holes #2, #7, #1a, #2a, #6a, and #13 could all be considered as signature holes at most other courses.
Cons: Holes #3a and #5a need to have some sort of clearly defined path to the basket. Both have the basket behind a wall of trees and require luck to get through. A few stairs would be nice as well as the paths are slightly eroded in places.
Other Thoughts: My goal in this review is to go deeper than the many drive-by reviews done of this course. With 107 reviews and what seems like thousands of message board posts, it seems as though one might know exactly what to expect at Flip City. Before I played the course, I read about 5 reviews and most of the message board debates regarding the course. This review is meant to be as objective as possible.

In my opinion Flip City is definitely classified as "the best of the best". It is the most enjoyable course that I have ever played. It is the best-maintained course I have ever played. For a player of my skill, the course was challenging. I shot a 77 on my solo round, which I felt pretty good about. There are many who have stated that there was very little elevation change...I have no idea where this claim comes from. There were a considerable number of hills. Many pin positions were situated on hills creating risky putts. Hole #4, #10, #6a, and #17 all have significant uphill elevation. There are a number of other holes that play slightly uphill (#2 and #16 come to mind). Hole #2a plays along rolling hills as well.

I played the course through twice on the day we stopped by. The first time, I went through with a competitive mindset. The second time through, I played relaxed and tried to soak in the course. I am glad I got to play it twice. I can remember each hole vividly, and I have no idea how some have left with the perception that the holes are repetitive. There is ample variety in distance, shot-shape, and elevation.

Flip City is enhanced by the amazing aura surrounding the course. The property is beautiful and pristinely manicured. The shelters are functional and provide good places to take a break. The whole place revolves around disc golf...and I loved every minute I was there.

I won't delve into all the, "This is the best disc golf course ever, and if you don't think so, you're stupid" debates. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion as long as their opinion is based on observed data and not heresay. This was the best disc golf course that I have seen to date. Therefore, in my mind, it deserves a 5 disc rating as "the best of the best". I fully expect to play other amazing courses as I travel around, but Flip City did not disappoint me...and I had anticipated amazing things. Some may have a different perception when leaving the course. Maybe it didn't live up to the hype. In my mind, it was everything I had hoped it would be and more.

flip city

5+    8/16/2010   8/16/2010
Review By: SAxDrc
This review was updated on 7/12/2012
Pros: -Absolutely beautiful scenery.
-Very well maintained. Mowed fairways, rock sculptures on most if not all holes. Broom on every tee pad.
-concrete tee pads for the pro tees.
-Great flow. You will never get lost or throw onto another hole's fairway.
-Amazing variety of long/short, up/downhill.
-The atmosphere feels really good. You are so far away from civilization that disc golf is all you care about.
-Just about every hole could be the signature hole at any other course.
Cons: -The signs at the tee pad have only the hole number on them. The score card has a map and the distance so it's not a huge deal. But I'm lazy and don't want to pull out the score card before I throw on every hole.
-Some of the rough is pretty nasty if you throw into it. Just don't throw into it and you'll be fine.
-Only the pro tees have concrete pads.
-some of the tee pads have rough spots and are uneven
-hole 2A is a very hard par 3, and 3A has absolutely no line to hit, just a bunch of trees. These holes back-to-back are frustrating.
-Lacks variety that I've seen on other courses. It has long/short and uphill/down hill; but not much left/right variety. everything is within 15degrees of "straight"
-No water hazards, which is a con for some. I am undecided on whether that is a con.
Other Thoughts: EDIT: the first time I played flip I rated it a 5. I live 10 miles away and have played it a bunch more since then and I decided to re-write my review and give it a 4.5. Is it "phenomenal?" yes. Is it the "best of the best?" no.

Flip is a phenomenal course and it is worth any amount of travel to play it. While in the area check out Whitehall Township DGC, Henderson Lake Nature Park, Branstrom Park, and all of the courses in Ludington, MI.

So I do this on all of my reviews:

favorite hole: #11. 344'. The rock sculptures are amazing on this hole. It was hard to pick a favorite but the rocks on this one convinced me to pick it.

least favorite: #3A. 306'. There are so many trees in the fairway that it is more "chuck and pray" than choose a shot.

Heaven

2-4    8/15/2010   8/16/2010
Review By: cassidymayne
Pros: The Best course ever period. Tee pads are amazing. Fairways are beautiful. Bill takes amazing care of his property. Great use of elevation and trees. The course doesn't favor one style of throwing over another. Perfect balance. I played the Farm Classic and did not want to leave.
Cons: I really cant think of any. The course is darn well near perfect.
Other Thoughts: If I died today I expect this to be what Heaven looks like!

IT'S ALL TRUE

1    8/10/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: bennyb
Pros: FLIP CITY IS AMAZING. I can not put into words how amazing this course is. I couldn't even take picture to do it justice
Cons: Not closer to my house
Other Thoughts: Best course I have played besides the fact that it is groomed and beutiful it is a challenging course.

I just can't give a 5-star review

2-4    8/8/2010   8/9/2010
Review By: MGroothuis
Pros: Wow. What a great course. A fantastic adventure spanning all walks of the game of disc golf. Every challenge a disc golfer is looking for is absolutely found here. Dramatic elevation changes, long bombs, short precise approaches, hills, large valleys, tight tree-lined fairways, risk/reward, and heartbreaking roll-aways. Some of the holes are epic drives off the tee pad that exemplify the very reason we love to play disc golf. Hole 11 comes to mind with it's wide open valley 344ft drive, and hole 6A's basket placement with terrifying putts. Plan a day, plan a week, Flip City is hands-down the best course I've played.
Cons: I hate to nit-pick at the cons of such a great course, but a more standard par system sure would be nice. Hole 2A's 670ft par 3 is pretty crazy. A 3 feels great, but it's no easy task. Some of the holes push the limits of the upper 400s and mid-600s. The 3s for ease of score keeping is good, but a 4 on a 600+ foot hole shouldn't feel like a bogey.
Other Thoughts: Already said many times, but bring bug spray. The alternate holes in particular are a thriving metropolis for mosquitoes and deer flies.

Still amazing

2-4    8/5/2010   8/5/2010
Review By: AKormendi
Pros: Beautifully maintained, amenities at every hole, shelters from the rain, place to camp, good tees and signs, nice fairways, challenging shots, and lots of hills to throw off or up. Still one of the top courses in the country.
Cons: Better be in shape, it's up and down hills the whole way. Nothing else is bad about it, except the occasional mosquito.
Other Thoughts: Still one of the best in the country. No need to write more, all the other reviews already have said it all. Just go play it.

Beautiful

5+    7/31/2010   8/4/2010
Review By: jasono2009
Pros: Well groomed fairways, rough areas groomed, best course I've played. Beautiful area, great elevation changes, great course layout.
Cons: none
Other Thoughts: Can't say enough about this course, Bill has done a wonderful job creating perfection.

Exceeded Expectations

1    7/29/2010   7/31/2010
Review By: holdenr22
Pros: I decided to take the trip up to flip city after reading all the reviews on this site and seeing that it was ranked second best in the country. I was skeptical going into it but after playing the course I was absolutely amazed. This truly is the Augusta of Disc Golf. The scenery was amazing and every hole was unique. All the people I met out there were very helpful.
Cons: Cant think of one.
Other Thoughts: I came out with a group of 8 people from Holland, MI. We loved it so much we plan on going back weekly at least for the rest of the summer. If you havnt been there yet, take the time to do it.

Can't wait to go back!

1    7/2/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: Nick
Pros: You have to see it to really appreciate the awesome scenery. Everywhere you look you see rolling hills with baskets on them. Very well worth the trip to the middle of nowhere.
Cons: Don't bother bringing your cell phone cause you won't get a signal. If you do get a signal it won't last. I can't imagine why you would want to be bothered playing this course anyway. Unless you were using it to call your buddies and tell them to come play.
Other Thoughts: You definetly get a good work out walking up and down the hills. My legs were burning by the time i finished. But it was well worth it.

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 20