Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: tomjulio Hole #1
Standing in fairway #1 looking right at the creators house. He built it, we came

1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 21

1    7/5/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: hattorihanzo
Pros: Well maintenanced, good shot variety, optional holes for shorter or longer rounds, nice elevation changes, the owner seems like a super cool guy, and plenty of shaded areas to keep the sun at bay. It's also close to some other totally awesome courses, so it's conducive to a phenomenal disc golf weekend if you put it all together like that. I also thought it was easy to navigate for someone not familiar with the course.
Cons: It's too far away from where I live to justify driving there just for the course alone. Although the surrounding courses make up for that a little. It didn't blow me away like I thought it would. The hype was, and is, huge and I just didn't see it. I thought it was a great course, but definitely not five stars. There were no water hazards, no 1,000 foot holes, no giant hill shots; I mean come on. You can't possibly give this course a five star rating. It doesn't even have a pro shop!
Other Thoughts: The rock formations and piles on top of stumps were too cool! Very picturesque and beautiful. It had a down to earth and "homey" vibe that made me feel very comfortable even though I'd played ther once. With some modifications, I think Flip City could be a five star course.

what a weekend

5+    7/4/2010   7/4/2010
Review By: ratoon
Pros: everyone already said everything so ill keep this short.the pros for me start with the drive in.After u make that transfermation from street to dirt ur almost there.The morning dew was just leaving the ground and out of the fog i could see the first basket.After basket 3 i found a meca of rolling hills, lofted tee pads,and a shot selection that was second to none.truly a spiritual journy.Played my first ever glo round in my life here.i seemed to do better than i do when i can see everything.One more pro would have to be the owner. Never met a more hard working guy.thanks bill.
Cons: the course has no cons however i did camp w a couple of people who were obnoxious but hey when ur crossing states and all u want is another knotch in ur belt in the way of courses,it would be kind of hard to appreciate it.so no cons on the course.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend this course to anyone.As someone who lives in the midwest i am fortunate to say i stayed and played 6 rounds of flip in 2 days.i just could not thank bill enough.1 last thought is that although this is free,if u do play it drop the guy at least a dollar per round.it was amazing to hear how people would come and not leave anything.its a dam shame.PS thank u bill for the baby powder,my boy said it came in handy ha ha.

Absolutely Gorgeous!!!

2-4    5/11/2010   7/3/2010
Review By: TrippinBill
Pros: Course Owner:
Both times I played Flip City I saw Bill, the property owner, doing course maintenance. He keeps this course so clean and well groomed he doesn't get to play it very much himself. He lets anyone play on his private backyard course, and I think his generosity is the main reason so many people love this course. Not many people would take their land, build an absolutely gorgeous disc golf course on it, and then let anyone play on it for free. Bill, to me, symbolizes what I think disc golf should be about. Ok, on the the course itself.

The Little Things:
On the first tee pad there is maps, scorecards, and pencils next to the donation box. Every tee pad is identical, and has a broom nearby to keep it free of obstruction. There is also a trash can on every tee pad. There is seating at all but 1 tee pad if I remember correctly. There are a couple of gazebos strategically placed where several holes meet. These gazebos are equipped with ash trays, bottle openers, and trash cans. There are several port-a-potties throughout the course as well. The little things go a long way in my book, and really contribute to the overall experience. Bill has done a top notch job with this.

The Course Itself:
You can play 18 holes here, but there is also 6 bonus holes that flow right into the course if you want to, and trust me, you want to. There is Am and Junior tees that make the holes shorter than playing from the Pro tees, but I recommend playing the Pro tees regardless of your skill level. I'm pretty sure I used every disc and every shot in my bag. It has a nice layout of shorts, longs, and everything in between and every fairway is mowed and groomed beautifully. Disc Golf is the only thing that goes on here so there is never going to be people picnicking on a tee pad, or right next to a basket. I've only played it twice, so I can't say for sure, but it seems like traffic would never be an issue. The course is in the middle of nowhere, and when I was there, I only saw 2 other groups the whole time.
Cons: The biggest con for me is that it is a 2,182 mile drive from my house. I suppose there could be multiple pin locations, but with the variety of holes found here it seems to me that it is not necessary.
Other Thoughts: In closing, this is my favorite place on earth. It makes me want to move to Michigan. For me, Disc Golf is as much about the total experience as it is the actual playing. I realize there are more challenging courses out there, but to me, it just doesn't get better than this. It should be glaringly obvious if you're still reading that this is by far my favorite disc golf course, and I will visit every time I'm in Michigan.

Mission Possible!

1    6/25/2010   7/1/2010
Review By: Wakeshooter
Pros: If there is a "zen" disc golf experience, this is it.
I've played this wonderful game for over 12 years. Played over 150 different courses in 17 states. This is the second course on private property that i've had the privilege to play. The first was Dahliwood (Very cool course) outside Seattle Wa. I played both these courses alone. I have to say that these were the two best Disc golf days in my life.
Cant wait to play Flip City again.
Great Condition!
Great Challenge!
Great Game! Shot a 72 for the 24 holes from the pro pads

Thanks Bill
You've set the standard!
Cons: It's not in my backyard

Couldn't give a 5 due to that there was no beer girl and I'm still waiting for Augusta National golf club to put in a Disc Golf course. Hey I can dream can't I.
Other Thoughts: Don't miss playing this course. Be sure to bring hydration. No water or stores near by.

Heaven

5+    6/22/2010   6/30/2010
Review By: jeffro12
Pros: Concrete Pads
*Easy to navigate
*Brooms on the teepads
*Easy to read signs
*Use of every shot you have (bombers, touch, hyzers, anhyzers, flex shots, tomahawks, thumbers, forehand, whatever you can do!)
*Camping
*Course Beauty
*The course truly goes with the flow of the land
Cons: Nothing

Phenomenal Indeed

5+    4/28/2010   6/25/2010
Review By: BucketBonanza
This review was updated on 8/17/2010
Pros: This course is out in the wild country on private property and is very well kept. There is very good variety in the way of challenge, sheer fun, and overall awe inspiring beauty for the disc golf enthusiast. A variety of terrain and elevation changes make this course shine. The hills on this course provide the opportunity for some really pretty shots and heady views. The course makes good use of the land and has a good flow as it winds through the property. Alternate holes are solid and well planned and not just some crammed in afterthoughts as often occurs at other locations. Overall, the course plays pretty well open without much luck requirement if you have the skills. There are a few open fairways that end in a tree congested pin placement, but most of the holes are quite reasonable and fair. It seems to play quite long and overall I would sum it up as vast and awesome. I am grateful to the owner and keeper of this place for his hard work and generosity in sharing this place with all of us. Players seem to show the land respect as there is not a proliferation of litter and other destructive humanoid processes stealing the wonder from the land. I view this place as sacred ground.
Cons: As for cons, I can't really think of much to report. There are not any water hazards here. This bothers me not, but I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't mention this fact. Some would argue that water is an essential piece of a truly great course. I am perfectly satisfied without any water at Flip City, but to each his own. This course is a hike! Be prepared to cover some ground in all directions. Bring water. Bring bug spray just in case, as nature happens.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course. It is likely that it is among the best in the world. It is amazing and a joy to experience. The owner is visible on the premises and in speaking with him you will find that he is aware of the reviews on this site and has sought to rectify any cons that were within his control (such as the addition of concrete pads or providing a place for people to go to the bathroom). This place is for disc golfers by a disc golfer. I am so grateful that it is close to my home. Well done.

The opinion of a Beginner

1    5/29/2010   6/23/2010
Review By: apdrvya
Pros: Many
Fairways are clean, beautifully cut and clearly obvious. The extra (cut grass) paths through rougher areas make it easier to find errant discs. Leaving these areas, the rough is REALLY rough in places, not that there's anything wrong with that, just means I need to not throw it there. Baskets are clear and in great condition, no bounce outs for me. The Layout flows well from one hole to the next and signs and hole posts (with little copper caps) make the course very easy to navigate. Concrete tees in great condition and brooms at every tee help to keep these tees in great condition. There are plenty of places to sit and relax for a minute or two, it was about 90 the day we played and breaks weren't only appreciated, they were necessary. Truly a beautiful course, from the rock cairns on 11 to the rolling northwest michigan hills I grew up in. Variety: I think this is the most important factor to me as a beginner. There is so much variety here from blind shots, to wide open shots, to short up shots, to short long upshots, to "across the valley" shots, everything that could possibly be available, is at Flip. Bill, thank you for everything.
Cons: um, it was really hot and the bugs were bad the day we went, things that aren't controllable.
Other Thoughts: Hole-by-Hole: I know this has been done before but this is from the eyes of a beginner.

#1-- 250ft--blind shot over the garden, a couple trees on either side. Also, scorecards, maps and donation box are here.
#2--502ft-- a longer hole, starts wide open and dives into the more moderately wooded side yard. Wide fairway, fairly straight.
#3-- 374ft-- shorter than #2 and the exact opposite, goes from moderate woods to more open at the pin. slight downhill.
#4--293ft-- Hidden on the hill on the right-hand side this hole starts wide open across a field and then the hill starts along with light trees. Basket a challenge to see against sandy hillside at times.
#5--179ft-- Blind shot over top of a hill, moderate to heavily wooded. Basket on downslope. Watch your disc on the left side of the basket, big drop off.
#6-- 286ft-- Wide fairway across a shallow dip. Fairly straightforward.
#7--303ft-- left dogleg down across 'gulch'
#8--252ft-- short and straight downhill, pin hidden in clump of tree on right.
#9--187ft-- Short hole with basket in trees to right, trees line right side of fairway.
#10--180ft-- another short one. Uphill and to the left. Overshoot this pin and you could end up on #11.
#11--344ft-- The signature. Beautiful down to up hole with rock cairns mid fairway. The fairway is very wide and basket is on the uphill slope.
#1a-- 260ft-- Tight "fairway" downhill to wide open valley, basket behind the "Y" tree.
#2a-- 670ft-- and this basket has been made longer? as a beginner, a hard hard hole with many many drives to get to the basket. Rolling terrain and moderately thick trees in places. Wide fairway.
#3a-- 306ft-- Starts with a narrow fairway then dives into heavy woods. There are lanes to throw, but accuracy is key.
#4a--270ft-- Throwing out of a pocket in the trees onto a wide open fairway, basket behind large trees.
#5a--368ft-- Long and challenging. a hole in multiple stages. Starts WIDE open across the access road, then 250-300 feet in, it dives into the thick woods. Pin in a small clearing, surrounded by rocks.
#6a--395ft-- Tunnel to open shot. Rock cairn on fairway. Basket on hillside back to the top of the hill.
#12--267ft-- The Ravine. Straight over a deep-er ravine. Pin on top of hill in treeline.
#13--416ft-- Long hole, long downhill with wide open fairway that dives into some moderate woods. I almost lost my disc here when I opps'ed right.
#14--334ft-- Long hole that dives into thick woods on the right, hard to see pin when outside woods, but lines are easy to find.
#15--446ft-- Good place to rest after a few long punishing holes-- straight shot out of the woods across access road. few trees.
#16-- 477ft-- Long hole, slight down hill, grass separates from #15 fairway, treeline to left.
#17--172ft-- short (whew) blind shot over hill to pin on right. Clear bell to ring when done.
#18--195ft-- Short hole through narrow gap in trees downhill with right dogleg to pin behind huge apple tree. This was the perfect way to finish this beautiful course. And one of my few pars (3) of the day.

OMFG! lol

2-4    4/13/2010   6/21/2010
Review By: Emoney
This review was updated on 3/15/2011
Pros: To start , this course has that "it" factor. It has everything you need or want out of a disc golf course. If u can find something wrong with this course you probably have some personal issues or favortism to a home course. This course offers up every shot in your bag, distance/control and most important PUTTING. Each hole felt independent from the next.
ABSOLUTELY NO TRASH- seriously fact
*BEAUTIFUL TEE PADS, brooms on each
*LAWN CARE AT ITS FINEST
*EACH HOLE IS UNIQUE AND CHALLENGING
*AWSOME USE OF ELEVATION AND USE OF THE LAND AND TREES
*SHOCKINGLY FUN BASKET PLACEMENTS- probably the biggest challenge of the course, basket locations made for nervous putting
*VERY BEAUTIFUL LAND AND SCENERY
*GREAT FLOW
*COURSE FOR EVERYONE OF ALL TALENTS AND SKILL TO ENJOY
*KOOL ROCK STACKS THAT ARE A MUST SEE

NO DISAPPOINTMENTS !!!
Cons: Only con maybe hole 1, but its is kinda the start of a journey and a nice warmup for things to come.
People may think it needs water to be a 5 disc course, well if u play it u will understand thats not the case.
The lenghth of the course is a little on the short side for todays pro but im positive that a long gruelling course can hurt the fun factor.
Other Thoughts: I rated this course a 5 because i can not think of anything to improve this course.The rating system says to rate a 5 if this course needs nothing and is the best of the best.This is a course for everyone ,not just pros,not just beginners,and really makes the fun factor of disc golf shine through. With tourneys and the newer epic bomber courses we sometimes forget where we all started and what got us hooked on disc golf. This course isnt hardcore challenging but is the one course that made me feel like a kid and took away all the extra stress i carry in my bag because even if i missed my line or grip locked a shot,i still had a huge smile on my face(as my omega rolled to the bottom of a huge hill during a tourney).Thanx bill u definitely got something special

Lets not forget that more than one course can be rated a 5,other courses may deserve a 5 too. Also we cant let reviews get higher or lower scores based on how good or bad we are.I wrote this review with everybody i met in playing this wonderful sport in mind,ams to pros.

Not as good as advertised..

1    6/5/2010   6/19/2010
Review By: PA Frolfer
Pros: This course is a great course to come out and have fun - the elevation is awesome, the rocks are cool, and most holes offer a unique challenge. The course is situated in the middle of nowhere and offers a nice little respite from civilization. The course really isn't difficult, but does have a good fun factor. I would advise the Mason County parks and Leviathan to go along with Flip City.
Cons: The two finishing holes were incredibly disappointing for such a highly rated course. I am under the impression that 4 to 5 rated courses need to have good finishing holes. The two finishing holes at Flip City just seemed to be thrown in there. It was truly disappointing. Also, no hole really stands out as the signature hole. Courses like Idlewild, Blueberry Hill, etc all have multiple holes that could be classified as signature holes and Flip didn't really have any, except for maybe the 'A' hole. In addition, a few of the short holes were just too short and easy and didn't really offer a challenge. Hole 1 was also nothing special.
Other Thoughts: Don't take the rating the wrong way - I rated the course a 3, which is a "Good" rating. There is no shame in that. The course offers a great experience but doesn't really offer a challenge. The course only offered one long hole and a the course had a bunch of short ones. Make sure to bring your walking shoes, as this course will tire you out. Overall, the course was a lot of fun but didn't offer the greatest of challenges.

EDIT: I see this has become a big deal in the forums - let me reiterate that I like the course, but I just don't feel that it has what these courses have to offer: Idlewild, Highbridge Courses, Centralia Foundation Course, Ozark Mountain, the top Oregon courses, Holler in the Hills, etc. It's a beautiful course, but it just didn't offer a true challenge. I wasn't even playing that well that day and I shot a 66 (playing all par 3's for 24 holes). The course doesn't set up well as a championship course or a tournament course to me. Hard, championship courses shouldn't get punished, ie Idlewild or Highbridge Gold because they aren't fun.

Great Course

5+    5/30/2010   6/18/2010
Review By: mklahre
Pros: This course is the best in the united states and probably the world. It looks amazing.
The holes are modarately tough and there are plenty of trash cans along the course.
Cons: I can't really think of any.
Other Thoughts: It is out of the way. This is a pro and a con.
it is secluded so that there is a certain amount of peace. However, it is also a trouble to get to.

1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 21