Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #11 (Taken 8/2009)

1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20 21
 Flippin' Out!

1    6/3/2010   6/14/2010
Review By: jhgonzo
Pros: 1. Variety. Oh man, does this course have everything! Elevation change on almost every hole, some of the riskiest pin placements I've ever seen, unique rock gardens in play on several holes (and scattered throughout this whole wonderland), many blind holes, just an absolutely perfect balance. No hole feels similar to any other. Even the more open holes here present significant (and sadistically strategic) natural and/or man-made (rock stacks) obstacles. Hole #4 is the first real "Wow, holy sh*t! Look at this hole!" kind of hole--not that the first 3 aren't cool, but 4 is where the Flipping really begins. Hole #7 is an awesome downhill-to-uphill hole with significant obstruction in the valley you THINK you can shoot over, but probably you'll get taken down in the valley and be left with a crazy uphill shot. Hole #10 was the only deuce of my round, a shot I amazed myself with on this blind uphill-to-downhill 180' hole to a basket protected by several mounds, with so many hills and valleys in this area that literally ANYTHING can happen to a disc that lands wrong. So many scenic vistas from the tee, so many spots you'll just need to stop and soak it in. Looking at my dismal score on my scorecard while coming into Hole #17, I thought, "Hey, the last 2 holes are both under 200 feet. I should be able to make up some strokes!" Yeah...it didn't work out that way. Hole #17 is yet another blind uphill into woods with a basket precariously placed on a sharp downhill slope, and Hole #18, a 195' steep downhill right dogleg, can be a frustrating finisher to someone who is predominantly RHBH...my Comet anhyzer didn't work, so for a mulligan I threw a RHFH Destroyer and again found trees. I ended up trekking back up this hill a few more times to play this finisher after our round while we just chilled out.
2. Maintenance. First off, I give huge props to Bill for keeping this baby in such pristine condition. If I had Flip in MY backyard, chances are I'd play and neglect the upkeep! It's awesome to talk to someone who's so passionate about disc golf--enough to develop his private land into DG heaven and open it to disc golfers!--yet realizes that this legacy he's created requires hard work, and he seems proud of what he does. I'm not sure I could handle only throwing 1 round a week here like Bill does, and I applaud him for his dedication. There are abundant trash cans, no litter.
3. Nice tee markers and super-grippy concrete tees (long tees only). The concrete tees include ample follow-through space as well...there is a black line on the tee that indicates the end of the teeing area, with the semicircular section beyond the line used for following through. There are am tees and junior tees on each hole, as well, though the am tees don't seem to get a lot of use, and the juniors even less so.
4. Navigation. Maps/scorecards near the shack by Hole #1, signage at the intersections, really no issues getting around out here.
5. Brooms at each tee for clearing off sand and dirt. This part of Michigan is very sandy, so these things will come in handy on occasion. It's nice to see them in abundance, ready to spring into action wherever the need should arise!
6. Shackage. Nice little chill-out patio by the parking area, and 2 shacks on the course (one by the intersection of Hole #8 and #14, and another by #2A and #5A). While you probably won't be physically exhausting and needing a rest at these points (Flip doesn't do you like that), you should chillax, sign the "guestbooks," talk to people passing through the intersections, take some photos, and then move on. Flip's got more in store for you.
7. The feeling of seclusion--and almost elitism if you're not a local Flippie--while being here is indescribable. If there is a "zen" disc golf experience, this is it.
Cons: Surprisingly, I am going to list a con. Obviously it doesn't affect my rating since this is without a doubt a 5-disc course. I played this course with my wife, and she opted to play the am tees...these are indicated by rocks on the ground (specifically, 2 rocks simply to indicate the end of the tee). In several places, we could not figure out where she was supposed to shoot from as there were no noticeable rocks in the areas where the tees presumably would have been. In most cases, we ended up finding what "looked" to be a tee area due to being a bit worn down, and judging whether it was the difference in distance from the long tees using the scorecard, I think we figured most of them out. I did talk to Bill after our round and mentioned this, and he is completely aware of the issue and said that people have been grabbing those rocks and either throwing them or adding them to the rock piles scattered about. So again, it's a con if you're going out to play Flip with anyone intent on playing short tees, but it's not a con to the overall experience since my wife still had a blast (her favorite course ever!) even with this minor frustration. Hopefully more permanent tee indicators can be placed in the future.
Other Thoughts: Wow. This place is perfect. It took me and my wife about 3 hours to "throw a round," although that includes chilling out at the beginning just soaking in the fact that we were there, and probably over an hour during our round stopping and taking photos and looking at the landscaping, chilling at the shacks...there's just not too many more words I can come up with here. Go. Get Flipped. Flip your friends. Flip your family.

Treat this place with the utmost respect (like you're young Skywalker and this course is friggin' Yoda), and when you go back home try not to compare your local courses to Flip 'cause there is no comparison.

FLIP CITY DISC GOLF PARK

2-4    6/6/2010   6/6/2010
Review By: jrymaszewski
Pros: * The rock art was amazing

* 24 great holes

* easy to navigate

* challenging course it will test pretty much every disc in your bag

* pin placements are great.

* tee pads are level and consistently good

* overall a really fun and challenging course.

* camping onsite.
Cons: not many cons-

* not many trash cans throughout the 24 hole course.

* tee signage could be better.

* tough course (which i personally like) but hard for inexperienced disc golfers
Other Thoughts: This course could be one of the best in the pdga. I live in Wisconsin and while visiting realtives in MI I played it. It was the best experience I have had playing disc golf in my career.

Beer is allowed which is either a good thing or a bad thing dependent on how you look at it.

Other than a great nature experience The disc golf was fantastic

Easily 5 Stars

5+    6/2/2010   6/2/2010
Review By: mcmyers640
Pros: *Concrete Pads
*Easy to navigate
*Brooms on the teepads
*Easy to read signs
*Use of every shot you have (bombers, touch, hyzers, anhyzers, flex shots, tomahawks, thumbers, forehand, whatever you can do!)
*Camping
*Course Beauty
*The course truly goes with the flow of the land
Cons: *Only 24 holes when there should be more
*I live 7 hours away from the course
Other Thoughts: Here on DGCR there are so many things to take into consideration when reviewing (scenery, facilities, challenge of the course, accessibility, etc.) This course was a bit of a drive for me, but so worth it. There are other courses in the Ludington area that are true 4 star courses and are ones you need to play. However, when you've got just a weekend take a day to play all the other courses and a day to play this one twice. Don't leave yourself unsatisfied!

I've been on backpacking trips and camping outings through the mountains and this is truly beautiful. The course cuts through the land so naturally that it feels like the baskets have always been there. If you enjoy the scenery this is top notch. There are overlooks that you just don't expect and the rock sculptures not only add to the difficulty, but they add personality that can't be found anywhere else. Most anywhere else, it's pure nature. Man-made beauty often will distract, but the benches, signs, and rock sculptures only enrich the experience. Who has signs that add a bit of class?

Other than the nature experience, the disc golf was superb. Very balanced course with technical form needed as well as bomber holes. You'll use every bit of those discs in your bag or shots you've developed.

The course also has rain shelters throughout and beautiful benches. There is a beautiful part of the course that has a gazebo and table on it that overlooks what I think is the best part of the course. It's a crossing between a few of the holes. I wish I brought my camping gear out here.

What to bring:

*Lunch
*Change of socks on a wet day
*Mosquito spray
*Just your common sense hiking gear and your discs

Enjoy!

1    5/30/2010   5/31/2010
Review By: mabraddock
Pros: everything... meticulous maintenance, good design, excellent baskets, and camping.... played one and a half rounds barefoot and didn t so much as bleed...
Cons: mosquitos...i had a off fan and it worked great, but everyone else seem to be slappin themselves quite often...
Other Thoughts: bill is a great man to give us this gift... try to play a glow round if you can, this course actually get easier in the dark...

Awsome

2-4    5/31/2010   5/31/2010
Review By: nabaah
Pros: Everything!!! There are so many little things that make this course great. The upkeep is amazing. It is always so clean an well kept. Bill is the man. There isn't a hole out here that i don't enjoy playing.
Cons: Nothing
Other Thoughts: Everyone should play here. It is the best! Wherever you are coming from it is worth it. I could spend all day playing this course. I can't wait to plan another trip here!

Little slice of heaven.

2-4    5/29/2010   5/31/2010
Review By: deBebbler
This review was updated on 2/7/2011
Pros:
-Intelligent design. We are talking Einstein, here.

-24 holes, which are easily shortened to 18, but you are a fool if you do.

-Seemingly perfect mix of holes. Long, short, tunnels, open, blind drives, upshots, and "bombs". Hole 2A looks like a miniaturized ball golf hole, and is for me, the signature hole here. Absolutely stunning.

-More course "character" than you could hope for. Gazebos, benches, rock art, and beautiful rolling landscapes.

-ONSITE CAMPING!!!
Cons:
-Mosquitoes the size of Buicks, and they were everywhere. How there could be so many mosquitoes with no standing water, is a mystery to me.

-No practice basket that I saw. (seemed like a glaring oversight, either on my part or theirs)

- . . . . . that's it. I got nothing. This place is DG Heaven.
This was the first of the 5 courses we managed to fit in Memorial Day weekend 2010. My navigator was keen on playing as many courses as we could (and believe me, so was I), but both he and I were sorely tempted to walk right back to hole one and play it again.

Anyone remotely considering traveling to play this course should plan to, at the very least, arrive in the afternoon, play this course, camp, and play another morning round before leaving. There are other fantastic courses to play close by in Ludington, so a long trip can be easily justified. I am already planning another trip this summer, as well as a late September round to catch this course in all it's color changing majesty.

I didn't really have more to add, and I hate to review something unless I do, but this course demands accolades, no matter how many times they have been said.

My camera sat in my pocket for the majority of the round (a rarity for me on new courses) because I was so caught up in taking it all in. I forgot I brought it for most of the course.

A truly remarkable Michigan treasure.

Word to the wise...do not MapQuest this course. Just do yourself a favor and take M-20 to S 124th Ave and turn North. The course is where this road ends. I mean, you can see basket #1 from the stop sign.

Flip City

5+    9/2/2014   5/26/2010
Review By: Creepy Anhyzer
This review was updated on 9/26/2014
Pros: -In existence since the 80's
-Well maintained and by one man Bill
-Long fairways and great areas to hangout and rest at each tee pad.
-Great mixture of long open fairways and ones that require more accuracy.
-There is a great Wednesday night league here in the summer with many dedicated players.
-Being located in the middle of Oceana county MI means that the drive here is always a adventure in itself.
-Hosts many local tournaments
-Privately owned and operated
Cons: -The tee pads could use some updating
- no water hazards
- not a single gas station within 5 miles
- bring bug spray
Other Thoughts: If you ever get a chance to play Flip City take it. Making the trip here is well worth it. This course is truly a mantelpiece and is a legend throughout the disc golf world.

The Best

2-4    5/16/2010   5/18/2010
Review By: discin311
Pros: Wow what can I say that people haven't there is not much else to say besides get out there and see this course. Bill is one of the nicest guys I have met. Every hole has something else different to offer. The rocks everywhere is ever cool benches and huts to relax. 24 holes good tee pads good mach 5 baskets
Cons: I have played 70+ courses and there is noting to say everything is the best on this course.
Other Thoughts: 2 of my friends and I camped there for the weekend and had a great time Bill was very helpful. There were another group of friend camping there we had a great time partying and playing glow with them. This course is off the beaten path but worth the trip for sure we drove from burbs of Chicago and it was worth it. I hit one of my best aces on hole 12 that was a plus to the weekend

Amazing!!!

1    5/15/2010   5/16/2010
Review By: pgriffioen
Pros: This course has been raved and raved, and it's all true. One thing I would like to add is that the course had near to none litter. That is awesome in comparison to the shape of some courses.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Make the mecca.

Thank you glaciers!

5+    5/8/2010   5/8/2010
Review By: SirRaph
This review was updated on 4/28/2011
Pros: Flip City is something special.

The property on which Flip City sits is a gem in itself. A giant (80 acres I believe) piece of land with mature trees and sudden, repetitive changes in elevation. In the fall, the changing leaves and lightening birch trees quite literally take my breath away.
Playing this course feels like half-golf, half-nature hike.

The course is well designed, and even more supremely maintained.
Players will be required to throw an array of shots to attack the pins. And while power players can find some rewarding routes, a player with 300' of power can post a competitive score with a well-played round.

The remote location keeps a lot of the destructive/casual player/idiots away. In the dozen-or-so times I've played this course, I've run into maybe 15 other people total.
Cons: Mosquitos. Bring your repellent or be repelled.

Remote location. Not so much a con as it is a "heads up". Pack your lunch, and bring plenty of liquids. Convenience stores, let alone restaurants, are a good distance away.
Other Thoughts: A very special place to experience disc golf.

1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20 21