Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: tomjulio Hole #11
Hole #11 Tee: Fairway 6A on right. Tees 1A and 12 on top of hill.

1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

5+    8/30/2008   11/4/2008
Review By: amusedbum
Pros: This is one of the most spectacular courses I have ever played. The pin placements are challanging forcing you to make a risk reward decision on many of your putts.
There are a great variety of shots off the tee with a good ballance for lefties and righties.
This course is also very well maintained. Bill spends an increadable amount of time mowing and manicuring this beautiful gem.
Cons: I have to dive 10+ hours to get there
Other Thoughts: Thank you Bill! I have never felt more welcome at a course in my 30 years of playing this sport.

Flip

5+    11/2/2008   11/3/2008
Review By: RonRoc
Pros: Great layout, classic design, variety of shots, well kept, something different over every crest.
Cons: poison ivy in summer....
Other Thoughts: This course is top notch and will get even more exposure with the addition of cement tee's (and this website). Can't wait to play it again.

Diamond in the Rough

5+    9/3/2002   11/3/2008
Review By: Dooley
Pros: Excellent layout with multiple elevation changes. Huge drives, tight approaches, nice baskets! Extra holes! Welcoming host!
Cons: Weather! Not far enough from Lake Michigan Coastline to predict weather. Or course where in Michigan can you? There really isn't anything bad to say about Flip
Other Thoughts: I've attended one of their overnight camping disc golf weekends! Its a must do for any disc golf fan.

Words cannot describe...but I'll try

1    10/21/2008   10/21/2008
Review By: geocachenut
Pros: Awesome layout...I admit I have only been playing for a month, I don't have much to go by, but.....this is one of the most beautiful pieces of land I have ever been to, and I only live 15 minutes away. I did not get the owners name, because we were too busy talking about throwing disks, but this guy has definately got an awesome thing going...keep up the great work!!!
Cons: Yea, right...
Other Thoughts: come check out the fall leaves and scenery!!

5+    7/25/2008   10/21/2008
Review By: Mark R
This review was updated on 11/30/2009
Pros: Open fairways with defined rough areas on most holes that offer many opportunities for power throws. Great cement tee pads. Varied layout with a minority of wooded holes (some holes, like 8 and 13, are both wide open and wooded), 24 total holes, beautiful course. Hole 2A is a 670 foot mostly-open, slightly-downhill with two 'humps' and some tree obstacles. Holes 1A, 3, 6 and especially Hole 11 have great hilltop tees with stunning fairways that are second to none. Terrific maintenance. A private park, some times empty. Porta-jon at back of course is well-kept, an important bonus for female players. Huts at intersection of 8 and 14, as well as Hole 2A provide shelter in case of rain. Rock formations have neo-mystic qualities. Nifty tee signs added in 2009 resolve previous navigation issues. Tons of fun for any player. On site camping allowed.
Cons: Eliminate and replace 5, 10, 17 and 18 and this course would be perfect (i.e. out of reach for basically any competition). However, even this is disputed by some who like short and/or blind holes. If one of the only cons for a course is having to drive eight to ten miles for water, food or beer, you know you're in the right place.
Other Thoughts: A reason to get up in the morning. Highly recommended, not a just a case of loyalty for my home state. Course was impeccable on 7/3/2009 after Bill finished mowing the entire course, making Holes 2A and 11 virtually perfect. Out of the 40-plus courses I've played, nothing matches this course, even others which are first-rate.

5+    10/11/2008   10/11/2008
Review By: stargator231
Pros: cement tees, beautiful holes, fun to play challenging
Cons: i dont really find any cons in this course now they have cement tees on all the holes.
Other Thoughts: this course is probably the most beautiful and fun course i have played. you can come here and have a bad round and still have a good time here.

Lives up to its Reputation!

1    10/4/2008   10/7/2008
Review By: MountainMan
Pros: Great variety of holes and required shots. Open enough that you could really air out your disc on several holes. Very few holes that reward luck as much as skill. Beautiful landscape and very, very well maintained course. Just a joy to play.
Cons: Okay, I'll be nit-picky here. It would be nice if the tee boxes had the hole # painted on them so that you were sure you were on the correct hole. This only really came into play on #10 which didn't seem to match up with the map as well as the rest.
Other Thoughts: I may live 2,000+ miles away, but with family in the area I'll be sure to play Flip City every time I head back to visit. What a blast!

Always a Thrill

5+    10/5/2008   10/6/2008
Review By: TunaSled
This review was updated on 11/11/2008
Pros: As others have said, just about everything concerning this mecca is a 'pro'. Varied terrain and awesome elevation changes give every hole lots of character. Very scenic, #11 is absolutely breathtaking from the tee... bring a camera, your friends will never believe you. The course is easier to navigate all the time, there were a couple new signs on our last outing. Even when your game is at it's worst it's hard to have a bad time here.
Cons: That I can't spend an entire summer camping on Bill's property.
Other Thoughts: Allow yourself a couple hours to shoot this course, and by all means do not skip the alternate six holes. Drink it in, take your time. there are plenty of places to chill along the way and everyone we've ever come across here is as friendly as people get. Tag the shelters and represent your home course. Add to a rock sculpture or start your own.

This place is beautiful in Autumn! We may go again in two weeks after more color sets in...

The St. Andrews of DG courses

2-4    9/6/2008   9/12/2008
Review By: gsklein
Pros: Of the 15 or so DG courses that I have played since finding my way back to the game nothing compares. I feel an emptiness playing my local courses I didn't have before my visit to Flip City. (Damn you Bill) I went with a few friends for a weekend of golf and since we all can't stop talking about going back to play at the St. Andrews of DG courses.

You can tell this course was built with care by someone who grew up playing hide and seek on every inch of the land it's on. The way the holes make use of the terrain and elevation to toy with your head is amazing. Tee pads that make you feel comfortable throwing at baskets that make you use every trick you know. (Like the Wheel on #18) No two holes play the same and when you have 24 holes on a course that's saying a lot.

So sure you can play 5 plus courses in the area and have a great couple days. Sure you can see some of the best landscapes east of the Mississippi. You can make friends with people who you would never talk to if you didn't meet them making chains rattle. But you can't get anywhere near this course and make the mistake of not playing it. It's brought my joy for playing the game to a new level.
Cons: It isn't closer to my house.
It isn't a beginner friendly course.

Other Thoughts: Beauty is in the details, the pads, the brooms, the Sector cut ruff. Bill gets my vote for best land owner ever.

5 star course!

5+    9/9/2010   9/11/2008
Review By: discNDav
This review was updated on 9/13/2010
Pros: Everything...a lot has been said before. Located on private property, 24 holes,
scenic, challenging, not too long, rock lined fairways and paths, rock gardens, easy to follow without a map, cement tees. Tree stumps with rocks on top of them preventing you from tripping over them, plenty of shade.

The tee areas are now marked with numbers.The tees have more cement in front of the black line with helps with footing and prevents erosion, this is a very nice.

Very clean. I usually pick up a stray bottle or can every round that I play, but I didn't see any litter to pick up.

The elevation changes are terrific!

Hole 2a is a great par 4.
Cons: It is hard to come up with a negative. It's not a world class challenge on every hole. I'd say only 3 holes are par 4....2, 2A and 16.

17 & 18 are not great finishing holes, both can be birdied with a short left to right tee shot.
Other Thoughts: I plan on returning every September when I'm only 2.5 hours from Flip City.

In Sept 2009, I drove 300 miles round trip to play FC for my 2nd/3rd rounds there. It is as good and I remembered it. The fairways were being mowed as I played and I got got to meet Bill, the owner. He is my hero for creating such a masterpiece.

I played extremely well considering the state of my current level, this course brought out the best of me on 9/3/09.

Again on 9/9/10, this course remains the same, simply spectacular!

There are a lot of holes where the basket can not be seen form the tee, this is neither a positive or negative.

Try a huge hyzer shot immediately off the tee of 1A, I was able to pin it twice doing this.

1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21