Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: tomjulio
The crossroads at hole 8 and 14. A broom at every tee.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20
 Best course I've played...

1    6/18/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: Chris Jane
Pros: This course is great. Very diverse hole layouts. From clear open tees that you can really drive from, to blind tees that need a little finesse.
The owner has been working on this course the entire time I've been alive and it shows. I only wish it was a little closer to home.
Cons: It's very hilly so be prepared to hike. Also, the tall grass is really thick and would be easy to lose discs in. Bring a friend to spot for you.

Worth the trip!

1    6/11/2013   6/15/2013
Review By: zreiter
Pros: Aside from the many pros that others have mentioned (great variety, both left/right holes, changes in elevation, great setup, easy to follow for a newb), this is the most beautiful course that I have ever played. While most courses are somewhat maintained by a crew of people, Bill does an INCREDIBLE job on his own. Lots of features don't add much to the actual gameplay, but just are a wonder to behold. If you are heading this way, you need to stop by.
Cons: You have to drive off the beaten path to get to this course. I personally found this to enhance the experience, but some may be weary of the gravel.
Other Thoughts: I was a little skeptical about playing a course on someone's property, and not sure if the layout would be interesting enough. Gladly, my worries were completely blown away. We played this course on a short Michigan Disc Golf Tour, and not only was it the best course that we played (out of 11), it might be the best course that I have ever played (out of 122). Bill, you are my hero!

Flip Trip 2013

5+    6/2/2013   6/2/2013
Review By: Bottlefed70
Pros: An amazing park located on what could possibly be the best land a course could be built on. Lots of elevation which puts this course on a whole different level than any other. Favors both right and left handed shots about equally. Also has a good mix of distances ranging from 500'+ hole all the way to 187'. Nice long concrete tee pads to throw from to top off this great course. Newer baskets and properly mowed and manicured fairways is the ice cream to this masterpiece. Has a few benches and picnic tables around the course which is much needed for the adventure you will have and the rest that will be needed after walking on what could be the motherland of disc golf. Camping at the course is a total bonus and makes it perfect for out of towners wanting to come and play this beauty over the weekend and not have to drive all over. The owner Bill is a really cool, laid back guy willing to play a round with you or just sit by the fire and chat for hours. Has port-o-potties on site that are always cleaned and stocked. An all around amazing course and in my top 3 and def a top 10 course in the world.
Cons: Very few cons but with small improvements could send this course to the #1 spot. Some of the tees pads are showing their age and the sand has not been nice to them. They have started to grind holes and divots right where your feet spin and you power up and release your disc. Could be fixed easily with some mortar mix. Not all the holes have a bench to sit on. And with a course that is long and elevated you really start to feel that round when you've been standing all day. Mosquitos can be a pain here, so I highly recommend bringing lots of spray.

PEERING THROUGH THE GROVE

1    8/17/2012   4/22/2013
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: This is the best course I have ever played, hands down. I enjoyed it so much that a normal review wouldn't do. I have written about 5500 words on my experience at Flip, and that's way to many to post here! I have posted the first part of my story in "Other Thoughts." If you would like to read the rest, feel free to PM me and I will hook you up. Viva Flip!!!
Other Thoughts: Excerpt from "Peering Through the Grove":

The anticipation became palpable as we drew closer. Tall pines lined either side of the dirt road; totems to guide us. The car bounced along in erratic rhythm. An eternity seemed to pass before the tree line broke on the right, and our first look at olive-tinged fields quickly supplanted three years' worth of imaginations. A basket sat longingly in the shade, calling out like to us like a Siren; wanting us to fill her with our plastic. A hush came over the cabin as we turned onto a grassy, rutted trail. There, spelled out in the lawn with big boulders, was the reason for our journey: FLIP CITY.
No one dared speak as the car came to a stop next to an old, beat-up Toyota slathered in bumper stickers. I peered through the rear-view mirror and was met by three sets of inquisitive eyes; heads attached to bodies that sat in lawn chairs under a home-made pavilion. I turned off the car. As the minutes passed, we sat unmoving, for fear of violating some unspoken sanctity.
When we finally opened the doors, the air that hit us felt like molasses--sticky and sweet. The warm, slow burn of the mid-August sun basked everything in ruddy, glowing tones. The day was golden. I think it's safe to say that we all had rose-tinted glasses on; sublimely stuck in a state that held us so tightly we would never want to leave. And we weren't even high yet.
A light breeze swept through the leaves above, and my attention was drawn towards the house. A bird sang from its perch atop an old pickup in the driveway. I could see that the truck bed was filled with scrap and wondered if that was how he made his living. A tire swing hung low from an oak tree next to a corrugated shed. In the distance, I spotted a few campsites and heard some music playing softly, coming out from one of the tents. Smoke rose from a dwindled campfire and danced through the air on its way upwards. Flip's land seemed to stretch on forever.
As we teed off, everything appeared too good to be true. We had been discussing this trip for over a year, building up the course in our minds. In the weeks leading up to it, the mythology had become almost absurd. After all, nothing is ever as good as advertised; not in this world. Something had to be wrong with it--had to be. The web reviews must have been embellished, at least a little; the photos airbrushed to hide the imperfections. Yet there we were, fully immersed in its splendor, and it was all we could do to line up our shot and let it rip; to pay our respects.

Best in the world

2-4    8/10/2012   4/6/2013
Review By: JC AceHole
Pros: As stated, this is disc golfs field of dreams. Extreme elevation, beautiful scenery and rock formations. All types of different shots. Nice concrete tees and seclusion. 1 dollar to play which helps bill maintain this beautiful land.
Cons: Nothing
Other Thoughts: This is a course you have to check out at least in once. It should be on every ones disc golf bucket list

Flip City

2-4    3/7/2010   3/7/2013
Review By: Bushman71
Pros: Great course, well maintained, elevation, woods, open shots. Will test most aspects of your game and your luck. The course,T pads and baskets are the best I've seen on a private course. Don't forget to leave donations in honor box
Cons: Too far from home
Other Thoughts: Had a great weekend camping out, too bad there are no more glow rounds

By far the best in the US

1    7/25/2012   2/25/2013
Review By: sebtacular
This review was updated on 3/4/2013
Pros: Played nearly 25-30 courses in a few states, and flip is THE best. Description is accurate. One guy runs this entire course!!! Covers a lot of acres. Nice elevation changes and some real tough shots. Well balanced all around. Beautiful signs. Easy to follow course. Brooms at every hole is amazing. I would recommend you donate a few dollar more than the 1$/round he asks for. We spent probably 4-5 hours playing the full course (somewhat leisurely). Bring lots of water. There ARE even a few porta johns
Cons: Nothing at all. Honest

#1 Disc Golf Experience

5+    1/26/2013   2/22/2013
Review By: billow890
Pros: Layout
Design
Challenge
Risk/Reward
Overall, the layout wins the day, great elevation, mix of holes(wooded,open, ect...) and excellent maintenance.
Cons: Signage-scorecards are more than adequate though
Teepads- a few need some repair, winter salting has corroded some
Other Thoughts: Best time you'll have on a disc golf course! The hospitality you'll receive, the round you'll play, and the experience make this the best course around.

Unique and Well Kept

5+    9/3/2012   1/25/2013
Review By: smorg15
Pros: Very well kept. Unique with the majority of pin placements on steep slopes. Great mix of long and short holes as well as tight to somewhat open holes. Bill runs and keeps up the hole course by himself. Please be respectful to the course.
Cons: The only thing this course is missing is water.

Flip City

5+    12/15/2012   1/15/2013
Review By: nickrockey
This review was updated on 6/28/2013
Pros: Very nice owner, Bill. How awesome to have someone open up his land and build something like this, a true treasure!
+ Tee pads are cement and in great shape. +Trash bins, and people actually use them!
+Amazing, beautiful, awesome, dosen't describe it well enough! There is a hole here for every sort of player, this was one of the first courses I was brough to and it hooked me right away!
+The obvious, cool little rock formations everywhere easily make it 'fun'
+The upkeep, This privately owned course is maintained better than most any other course! Always mowed and clean!
+Risk vs. Reward here is unmatched! You just gotta go for it!
+The 'ALT' holes are some of the best holes anywhere!
+I have never aced here, but someday...someday!
+The flow is perfect, awesome layout, easy to follow
+Rain cover /smoke shacks, benches A++
+Port-o-jons!
+Some of the holes here aren't like anywhere else in that, they are more like landing strips for aliens with a sense of humor!
+I have played good rounds here, and I have played really bad rounds here but I still can't wait to go back again!
+Scorecards are always ready
+I really pretty much like every hole here, they design was so well though out really nothing could make it better!
+Camping on site
Cons: No cons. none. zero. zilch.
Other Thoughts: Be sure to thank Bill for letting you come to his 'home', and be respectful to it!
^Watch your disc!
^Bug spray
^Shoes with good grip
^Don't destroy the landscape!
^Have fun! Best course ever in my opinion!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20