Shelby, MI

WOWZA!!

1    8/27/2011   7/23/2012
Review By: That1AndyGuy
This review was updated on 9/10/2012
Pros:
+ Very technical layout: Shooting up hill, down hill, over hills, off a cliff.

+ Forgiving course: paths cut through rough made finding poor shots much easier.

+ Camping area: looked like a nice size area, although I haven't stayed.

+ Concrete pads: longer pads, well kept

+ Only $1 per round

+ 18 or 24 hole option: be a boy scout - PREPARE. It is a long course. Bring extra water, snacks, etc.
Cons:
- Poison Ivy is everywhere.

- Reputation is intimidating for beginners: Shouldn't be, but several players I throw with in my home town heard that FLIP is difficult and won't even try.
* Respect the course: Don't be a d-bag and bring a trash bag. This is a private course, be respectful to the guy opening his property up to us.

* Rock sculptures are awesome: Help construct one :D

Exceptional course!

2-4    6/19/2012   7/1/2012
Review By: MrDiscinox
Pros: - Immaculately maintained.
- Uses the entire land area to create an extremely diverse field of holes. (private 88 acres!)
- Plenty of sitting areas and hole 1 has a small patio section for hanging out between rounds.
- The rock gardens are a true work of art.
- Bill, the course owner, is as nice as can be and his passion for the sport is shown with every little detail on this beautiful course. Please respect Bill's work!
A must see course.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Some people don't respect the course owner or game and throw their litter around the course.

Don't be one of these people!

Definately Worth The Trip

1    6/30/2012   7/1/2012
Review By: Todd Wiley
Pros: *Excellent Scorecard with course map, hole lengths, and more information than you need waiting for you at hole 1

*The course uses elevation changes extremely well to leave you speechless at most of the teepads

*Concrete "Pro" Teepads and alternate teepads marked with large rocks are easily found, navigation signage throughout the course will help you stay on the right track

*Plenty of trash cans, benches, shaded rest areas, brooms at teepads, and more at this course

*This course is full of amazing holes that will leave you wanting to toss more than one drive just to watch the discs fly down the fairways
Cons: *"Locals" using the course apparently were not happy that the course was "crowded" on a Saturday (They need to get over it) <- For a little clarification, my family didn't need to hear snide remarks about course crowding from locals who skipped holes to avoid the PIF Groups on the course.

*Too far away to make it a regularly visited course to play for me, but definately worth a trip at least once a year

Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my day trip to meet up with a bunch of DGCR PIF'rs and this opportunity to play Flip City. This course should be a guideline in how to build a disc golf course and maximize challenge and fun at the same time.

Bill (the owner) is a great guy! Thanks for sharing this great course with so many disc golfers!

24 holes of awesomeness

1    6/22/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: lcra0825
Pros: - immaculately maintained (even the brush has rows mowed through it to make finding disks easier)
- hole design is amazing. Every hole looks different and is beautiful to look at
- design of course incorporates many different kinds of throws
- great use of elevation
- benches spread throughout the course for resting
- map and scorecard available at beginning (my friends and I navigated the course pretty well without use of map which leads to next point)
- course flows very well and the alternative holes can be skipped with no extra walking to play the next hole after them -although there is absolutely no reason to skip them because they are some of the best holes on the course
- very fun and while not super easy the course is in no way frustrating. Beginners and Pros alike can play this course
- the maker of the course has all these stone statues placed around the course to add to its majesty
- it goes without saying but there are cement tee pads at every hole and the tees and baskets are labeled with the number of the hole
Cons: - it is nine hours away from me
Other Thoughts: My brother was traveling to Michigan to visit a friend and so i went with him just so I could play this course and it was well worth the trip. I played a few more great courses in the are as well. Hole 1-3 I was like this was pretty good but after that every time I stepped up to the tee I had to stand in awe for a couple of seconds just looking at the holes. This course is well worth a trip to Michigan and I can't wait to get there again

If perfect existed, this is the place!

1    6/21/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: JSquizz
Pros: Well-manicured, challenging, serene, clean, variety of holes.
Cons: The only con is the terrain is probably too difficult for children or people in poor physical condition. It is a long drive from the major cities but worth the trip.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful course, so much in fact you almost don't care if you play bad!

Like No Place Else

1    6/16/2012   6/20/2012
Review By: DurstMajors
This review was updated on 7/1/2012
Pros: Everything was like I imagined and then some. This is THE course to play. Whether you're a beginner or a pro this course will make your jaw drop. Meticulously manicured fairways and very forgiving trees populate this gem nestled in Shelby, Michigan. I recommend this course to everyone I see. Even if they don't play disc golf I tell them they have to go see it.
Cons: Not discovering disc golf sooner so I could have enjoyed this course a long time ago!
Other Thoughts: There is something very special about Flip City and you'll never know what IT IS until you go play there. One round will hook you into planning multiple trips to play this course. I guarantee it!

flip city

1    6/11/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: alimagnetbomber
Pros: great course with a variety of shots. cool stone scultures and scenery. loved the mowed paths through the rough made finding discs alot easier.
Cons: teepads need work very small and very beat up. a few holes are just poke and pray. Personally wouldnt put this course in my top 5.

You can't be unhappy here

2-4    6/17/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: Grublam
Pros: More variety then any other course I have ever played.

Course is so well maintained that its incredibly diffecult to loose a disc there.

Beautiful Stone towers stacked all over the course.

Camping available on site for 10$ a person.

The owner helped us put up our massive tent and got his other friends, who are now invited to my wedding, to help also.

In the middle of no where, so there isn't a lot of traffic on the course.

Disc golf Perfection!
Cons: Unfortunately with the perfect use of elevation changes some may get tired playing this course due to walking up and down. But, that would be entirely there fault for not being decently in shape.
Other Thoughts: I went there for my bachelor party. Met two other people who were the most generous people I've ever met. They gave us clothes to wear, discs to keep, bathing options, beer, vodka, tent help, course tour guides, and we never even knew them before we got there. Crazy. Thanks Jason and Jessica.

Got to play it!

1    6/17/2012   6/17/2012
Review By: cmchavis
Pros: There are plenty of reviews stating the amenities and the good parts of the course. So there isn't much to add so I will list some of the things that stood out.

Of course, Bill has put a tremendous amount of time into the course and it shows. The fairways are clean and clear - the rough is pretty easy to navigate too.

Some of the 'touches' I liked were:

- the directional teepads. They narrow at the front - and give a good indication of where the basket is located.

- The holes, while many of them are short, are usually protected by trees, rocks.

- The transition from 11->1A and back from 6A->12 is very well thought out. The course flows well overall. The only issue I had that I had to refer to the map too is 13->14. Right next to 13 is the tee for 10 and if you aren't paying attention, you'll probably head the wrong direction since pretty much all the other baskets and tee pads are right next to each other.

- The course is very clean - there were _no_ cigarette butts that I could see.

Loved seeing all the signatures on all the sheds that have been erected.
Cons: Not the course itself and the course info does mention it, but the deer flies are killer. Mosquitoes do not bother me, but I was eaten alive by the deer flies - DEET didn't scare them away either.

Mentioned this as a Pro, but looking at the hole lengths this is important to note. Many of the holes are short, but even the short ones have plenty of trees guarding the baskets. Without the trees most of these would be quick 2s.

I played minutes after it rained and it would have been nice to have bag hooks available. There are some concrete 'blocks' around many of the holes to set a bag down on and there are some benches around on other holes though.

Other Thoughts: They don't affect the game, unless you are hitting them - but I love all the rock cairn's around the place. They are all over, in many sizes.

This isn't really a pro or a con, but the layout is really setup for 18-24 holes. There are no front and back 9. There is a trail off of 6 tee pad to bring you to 15 if you just want to play 9 holes though. But once you pass that, you are playing 18 or 24 unless you want to go safari. Because of this layout, there isn't a quick stop at the car after 9 - once you are out, you are committed - bring drinks and maybe a snack.

Both a pro and a con - while there are pro/am/jr tees - the am/jr are just marked with rocks. I appreciate the additional shorter tees, but the rocks aren't as nice as the concrete tees.

I listed the cleanliness as a pro - there were plenty of bottle caps. I think I picked up 30-40 and tossed them. He has a no glass containers sign posted, but that seemed to have been largely ignored. The trash bins are full of beer bottles, so at least they are making their way into the bins and not into the woods.

The family brought me out for a Father's day present - much better than a tie. Drove 3 hours to get here and it was worth it.

Flip is really close to some other great courses in the area too.

I don't care who finds this helpful

1    6/13/2012   6/13/2012
Review By: Lightman
Pros: Great elevation shots.
Tremendous aesthetic appeal.
I drove 2 hours there and 2 hours back, spending $50 in gas and paying a dollar to play and it was totally worth it.
Cons: I wish it was closer
Other Thoughts: I might move closer to this course.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20