Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #5 (Taken 8/2009)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20
 Flippin' Nuts

5+    9/20/2011   12/19/2011
Review By: discflinger
This review was updated on 1/3/2012
Pros: Bill's pin placement is top notch. Almost every placement offers challenges. Aside from the beauty and the "ambiance" this is what makes this course great. Also, Bill has not forgotten a thing on this beauty. The up keep is phenomenal. Even when it's muddy you'll find him out there putting dirt down on the driveway. Everything is marked like no other place on Earth. Enjoy the shelters! Don't turn into a witch and fly off on the brooms like I did. Shots are varied and challenging. It helps to have a big arm on this course, but it's not necessary to have a good time or score.
Cons: Really? You want me to say something bad about Flip? Forget it...
Other Thoughts: Wonderful story about the course being Bill's family farm and has been there since the 70s though just receiving baskets in 98, I believe. He's given us all such a gift. Was disappointed to hear that some people who played a glow earlier in the year left some trash out on the course. I think they may have ruined the glow experience for some, but this place needs to be treated with respect. We are all guests.

1    9/4/2011   9/6/2011
Review By: nohr
Pros: Lots of elevation changes. Beautiful course maintenance.
Cons: Every course I have played I can list negatives for. I am not going to list the negatives for this course because the positives vastly outweigh the negatives.
Other Thoughts: I have played blue ribbon pines and highbridge courses before playing this. Flip city is truly one of the best courses in the country. It was worth the 8 hour drive from Iowa to enjoy 2 quick rounds at this gem. I look forward to playing this course again.

Amazing!

1    6/25/2011   8/29/2011
Review By: jimmie51
Pros: Wow Wow Wow! beautiful course, amazingly taken care of. You can tell that Bill loves his course by the condition it is is. The lay out is challenging, but is forgiving at the same time. Tee pads are solid. They are skinny and I have an odd run up so I thought it was going to be an issue. To my plesant suprise I had plenty of room for my run up width and length wise. A must play course no matter where you live.
Cons: Cons? Seriously? not one to be found accept it's in Bills backyard instead of mine.
Other Thoughts: The course has a lot of elevation changes and is a work out. It is one of the most fun courses I have ever played. I smiled the whole time I was there. I met Bill briefly and what a humble and great guy. If your a avid disc golfer you know that it's not always about the score. I swear i could bogie every hole and leave Flip City the happiest guy I know.

Beautiful and fun

1    8/12/2011   8/27/2011
Review By: cefire
This review was updated on 1/4/2012
Pros: The description says it all, Flip City really is disc golf's field of dreams. This is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been fortunate enough to visit not only in terms of natural beauty but also in terms of aesthetic golf fairways.

Hole 2A is probably one of my favorite all time holes requiring two long dead straight shots with straight to slight turnover finishes to obtain the pin. Complicating the drive and 'approach' shots are rolling hills with two moderately sloped ravines. After playing many rounds here, I'd expect to find some pretty cool variation in scoring depending on whether you land near the top or the bottom of the slope. Drives that miss the fairway are likely to either hit the lining trees, land in deep rough, or at least land in areas of long grass which will damper ones effort for recovery. This hole also comes after many shorter and more simplistic holes which really highlights the contrast in challenge and length - Fantastic hole!

Variety - Although distance and challenge are relatively uniform across the course (shorter and less challenging), variety in terms of shot selection is awesome at Flip. I especially enjoyed several of the low-ceiling holes or upward finishing holes that begged for a long controlled roller shot. Of course the more traditional mix of forehands, backhands, and tomahawk shots were also on tap. The course also boasts many holes with multiple routes which have a fair balance of pros/cons of their own leaving the player to weigh their strengths against potential rewards and risks.

Beauty - I've mentioned it several times in this review, but it is worth restating - the course is absolutely gorgeous. You really can't go wrong with your visit to Flip City!
Cons: The first main drawback I felt playing through Flip City was the relative lack of variety in terms of hole distances and challenge. I was throwing an Aviar off of nearly one-third of the holes, often short turnovers or slight downhill straight shots. Many of the more open holes allowed for very straightforward hyzer bombs with little risk or penalty for missed shots. Teepads seem to be another problem, perhaps only one that has developed over time as they have worn down. Even after sweeping them off (with the really cool brooms on each hole), I was sliding all over on release. I usually have a fairly light-foot on tees so I would expect that this is likely a problem for many that play the course. Finally, the overall challenge of the course is mostly suited to players of a more intermediate level rather than geared towards advanced/pro players. Although there are more than a few holes which will test even the most veteran golfer, there are LOTS of 'gimmes' and filler holes that don't add a whole lot to the experience and aren't present in such numbers on other top courses I've played.
Other Thoughts: This course really is worth the trip for any level of golfer from very new players to the most skillful throwers. New players will still have the opportunity to get a few birdies, and while experienced players will probably find a majority of holes too straightforward for excitement, they will still enjoy the course aura and the more challenging holes that intersperse the course. For beauty and playing experience, Flip City is certainly tops for beauty and experience but for a true test of the golfers game, I'd recommend the nearby Leviathan course as an all-around better choice.

Remember to kick in what you think the experience of playing Flip City was worth. $1 is a completely crazy price to get the priviledge of playing this course. I'm sure it takes lots of money to not only outfit the course with all of the cool amenities present but also for general maintenance. Gas costs alone for mowing fairways must be quite expensive!

Flyboy visits Flip

2-4    7/25/2011   8/2/2011
Review By: Flyboy
Pros: See Cons
Cons: See Pros
Other Thoughts: Making a trip up north to play the legendary Flip City course has been on my to-do list since long before I ever dreamed of building my own disc golf course. With the Atlanta summer heat index well into the miserable 100's, the time seemed right, and fellow disc golfer Brad Meier and I headed north on a spur of the moment combined trip to Oshkosh, Wisconsin, Mecca of sport aviation, and Flip City, Shelby, Michigan, Mecca of disc golf. Oshkosh: been there done that before. Flip City: epic.

Having heard so many great things about Flip over the years, our expectations were high, and neither of us got much sleep the night before our visit, as the anticipation of playing one of the best disc golf courses on the planet had us all keyed up. We'd given Bill, creator of Flip City, a courtesy call prior to the trip just to make sure we were good to go, he gave us the green light, and the trip was on. Airline flight Atlanta to Detroit, and rental car drive Detroit to Shelby dragged on forever, but as we finally got to within 10 minutes or so of Flip, the pavement faded to gravel, time seemed to slow down, and the beautiful landscape gave us a hint of what was to come.

I wasn't sure what to expect pulling into Bill's driveway...giant flashing neon Flip City sign?…big asphalt parking lot?...wrong end of the spectrum. The place is quaint and understated with only a few initial subtle hints of disc golf. The faint word "Flip" was mowed into the grass in the front yard. Nice touch. Stepping out of the rental car, we were the only sign of life on the property, aside from the swarm of seasonal deer flies buzzing around our heads (we were in season). Near the parking area, a small faded wooden sailboat sits on a pedestal, and around the corner of a shed is an old mailbox nailed to the wall with scorecard/course maps and pencils. There's a donation lock box labeled "$1". $1…are you kidding me…to play this legendary private course? My first insight into the kind of guy Bill is.

The #1 tee pad, around the shed, is marked by a diminutive white post and points out towards Bill's front yard. No tee signs, huh. "Must be that-a-way", over the hill between those trees? Our hunch was confirmed with a few steps up the hill to get a visual on the basket. I almost aced #1 with my trusty Road Runner. Let's see, next tee…no next tee signs either, huh…there it is…over there, and the pad points "that-a-way", basket must be over there somewhere. We continued working our way around the first five holes using the "must be that-a-way" method, noticing the increasingly beautiful scenery, swatting deer flies, and certainly enjoying but not blown away with the course…until we found the #6 tee. Wow…now I get it! Absolutely beautiful. After putting out, we followed a meandering path we hoped would lead us to…Holy Cow!…#7…even more picturesque off the tee than #6. Ok, officially blown away now. And so it went.

And then we stepped up to #11. The scene unfolds below and in front of you like stepping into a wonderland. Curious rock sculptures sprout up randomly around the manicured grass fairway, loosely bordered by knee high wild flower spattered rough areas, serrated by ribbons of artistically mowed pathways. Mesmerized, we grab for our cameras with no thought of grabbing for a disc. Finally, oh yeah, we gotta tee off don't we. I managed another decent Road Runner pull, but "niced" Brad's Wraith just as it turned over and headed for the rough. Finding it was a breeze though, thanks to the accommodating mowed paths in the knee high wild flowers.

As we continued around the course, learning to spot the subtle pathways to the next tee, and realizing the lay of the land is all the tee sign you really need here, we began to appreciate the "experience" of playing Flip, as one beautiful fairway after another eased into view before us. Somewhere along the way, without mention, we stopped keeping score, ridding ourselves of any additional stress. Our fun meters were pegged. Even the Deer Flies seemed to cut us some slack, or maybe we just quit noticing them, as we became fully immersed in the incredibly beauty of this special place. A wind chime played some faint background music. Brad and I respectfully added our own small touch to the Flip City tapestry, stacking a couple of small stones on one of the many rock sculptures, and writing a thank you note in sharpie to Bill on a picnic table, already covered in countless signatures, musings and hieroglyphics from 30 years of disc golfers. Another insight into Bill's psyche, inviting his guests to become a part of his creation.

As we progressed through the layout, I began to understand and respect the "feel-good" nature of Flip City. Having played Flyboy hundreds of times, with it's heart-pounding lake challenges, every trick in the bag required, and mental and physical endurance demands, it was a welcome relief to be able to totally relax and enjoy a completely different realm of disc golf. With nary a par 4 or 5 to worry about, my "Nut Sac" of four trusty discs was plenty to play Flip (Oh. The "Nut Sac" is a small travel bag I use on the road). Remember, Bill built this course 30 years ago, when a 250-foot drive was a pretty good rip. To choose between Flip and Flyboy…well, they're two entirely different animals. Brad and I, both pilots, mused it'd be like trying to decide whether you'd want to fly a vintage WWII P-51 Mustang, or a supersonic, high tech F-22 Raptor, each sexy fighter planes in their own right. We'd give both our arms to be able to fly either.

It is understandable to me now how Flip City, one of the very first private courses in the sport, has stood the test of time, and in fact become part of the history and lore of disc golf: one word…Bill. We were able to meet and chat with him after the round, because he gave up his afternoon at the lake to wait for us to finish the course. Bill has dedicated about 30 years of his life to his dream, and I really do mean major sacrifice…in his personal life, the enormous amount of work he's done not only creating this jewel, but meticulously maintaining it on a daily basis. And financially…how many thousands upon thousands of dollars of his own money has he invested over the years to make this course one of the best in the world? The mailbox nailed on the side of the shed says "$1 to play". C'mon Bill…. you kidd'n me! One dollar won't even pay to back the mower out of the shed! But that's Bill's way, quietly motoring along, almost apologizing for asking that you please not bring your dog to crap around the course, or throw your cigarette butts down, or donate $1 to play. I urge you to ignore the ridiculous "$1" sign and donate as much as you possibly can afford to the Flip City cause. And if you insist on throwing your cigarette butts on the ground, just wait and throw them down right at Bill's feet when you finish. He's the one ultimately going to be picking them up, might as well save him walking around the course to do it. Don't forget, this is a private venue. There's no grounds crew to mow and clean up after you, there's no public funding coming in to build, maintain, and improve the course, there's just Bill.

If you wanted specific hole-by-hole details about Flip City, read some of the other detailed, well-written reviews. To me, this course is so much more about experiencing something very special in our sport, than about the mathematics of a perfect disc golf hole, the stats on the course, or even your score. It's about enjoying a once in a lifetime, unique disc golf experience, and well worth the time, effort, and money to come up here to "Mecca", and experience it for yourself.

Kelly Leggette
Flyboy Aviation

2-4    9/2/2010   7/29/2011
Review By: CKR-JK
Pros: Elevation
A great wow factor.
Great challenge.
A place to camp if needed.
Cons: Not close enough to me to play more often.
I just cant see any major or minor falt with this course.
Other Thoughts: Bill is a great guy who has done a terrific job.

Flipping Awesome

1    7/13/2011   7/21/2011
Review By: Ben17
Pros: Well taken care of
Nicely groomed fairways
Broom at almost every hole
Nice baskets
Great use of elevation
Unique, but nice tee pads
Great variety of shots
Nice benches
Maps and scorecards at #1
Amazing rock structures
Nice pedestrians
Wonderful terrain
Cons: None that I can think of
Other Thoughts: Oh my god, where to even begin. This course is definitely one of the best in the world. It just puts together all of the things needed for a perfect course. I couldn't imagine a course any better than what this one has to offer. It is an all in one course. Some holes are short and narrow, while others are long and wide. It just makes you use every shot imaginable. It makes you think harder about one shot than you ever have. I just loved the diversity here.

Bill, he is a great guy. He definitely knows how to put together a perfect disc golf course. I came up on a mini vacation and camped out here. He made the experience a thousand times better. He just wants you to be satisfied by the time you leave the course. I know for a fact that I was very satisfied when I left here. He's a great guy and if any of you go, for sure say hi to him. Without Bill here the course would be no more. He loves this place like no other. So keep it clean.

Just overall this course gave me the expierence of a lifetime. I am from Ky and I live 5 minutes away from Idlewild. I don't know what course that I like better. They are just both magnificent. They both are perfect courses. When I came I was surprised how it was in the middle of no where. Regardless of where it is located, it is still on top of the world. The one little complaint I had was the tee signs. I know the give you a map at the beginning, but it could use to have better tee signs. The only other thing was the bugs. I know they can't control it but the bugs are everywhere. Just bring bug spray and you'll be good to go. Come here for a great time with Bill and the rest of Flip. Enjoy

Truely Great

1    7/15/2011   7/19/2011
Review By: slash87
Pros: WOW! I loved this course easily one of my favorites. THe first few holes don't seem real spectacular, but when you get to 5 and on I was just mind blown away. I loved the use of the rolling hills and rocky terrain. The rock structures throughout the course added a touch of class. Fairways were clean of garbage, clearly marked and fun just to look at. There are plenty of blind shots and not knowing the course made shot selection diffictult at times. If I had to pick a favorite hole it would have to be them anything from hole 5 on.
Cons: 2 things would be nice, a proshop on hand with water and discs and making it more stroller friendly. I pushed my son ina running stroller and parts were a bit difficult.
Other Thoughts: Having played Highbridge Hills Blueberry Hill course the day before and Blue Ribbon Pines early in the month this course beats them both. Blue Ribbon comes close but lacks in elevation change. Blueberry lacks mostly in grooming, but also just the feel of the course. THIS IS A MOST PLAY COURSE!

Shelby Nirvana

5+    7/4/2011   7/4/2011
Review By: RedHotCujo
Pros: A beautiful course with a wide variety of shots and varying elevations.
Perfectly laid out, easy to follow path with signs.
24 hole course including 6 alternate holes so you can play a quicker round of 18 or get the full experience with 24.
Great pin placement and challenging distance on many holes.
Isolated location and elegantly carved through many acres of rolling land.
Pretty forgiving on many holes.
Cons: *[*not really a con, but*]* Not beginner friendly as it is a long course utilizing a wide variety of shots.
Other Thoughts: With a good arm and decent aim, it is fairly easy to make par (3) on most holes and birdies are a viable option for a good portion of holes. Speaking as an amateur with a lot of different courses played and 8 years of experience, this is definitely my favorite course due to the amount of fun it is just to just play the course and experience the game of disc golf in pure Shelby nirvana. The course is amazingly kept and laid out and the sense of serenity and karma of the course is unmatched.
If you can make a trip to play a round here, DO IT!

Sweet Course

5+    6/11/2011   6/19/2011
Review By: Valet
Pros: This course offers many different shot selections. Not overly long and all holes have obstacles. (Long 500' holes without any obstacles, in my opinion, are a complete waste.) Elevation changes were very nice and quite surprising as I wasn't expecting to hump it as much as I did. While many of the holes are short, they are not easy. Great fun factor, but also challenging. Brooms at almost every hole made it nice to be able to clean them off. Others playing the course were very nice. We arrived during leagues on Wednesday and got to meet many of the "locals". A lot of these guys are driving 45 min. - 1 hour to play each week! I think that says a lot about the course. Everyone we met was very cool and they offered good advice. Trash cans at almost every tee and awesome, conveniently placed "rest areas" along the way. Many shots require hitting your line, but you're not punished too badly on most holes if you miss that line. There are some tunnel shots though. The stacked rocks add to the mystique of the course.
Cons: Too far of a drive from Independence, KY (but it certainly was worth it.) Cell phone reception is spotty (try the tee on 18)
Other Thoughts: If you camp, watch out for the racoon. He's probably about 20 lbs fatter after eating our bacon, goetta, peanuts, etc... Bill was an awesome host. Got to enjoy a few drinks with him and learn the history of Flip. This course was very clean too. While talking to Bill, I learned a little bit about the time commitment to keep this course up and it takes a LONG time just to mow, not to mention emptying the trash cans. We spent 3 days at Flip and while it rained during the morning on 2 of the 3 days, it was still awesome and well worth the 7 hour trip. Bill has a beautiful course in his back yard and we are all very fortunate that he is willing to share it with us.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20