Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: tomjulio Hole #1
Standing in fairway #1 looking right at the creators house. He built it, we came

1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19
 Amazing

1    10/15/2010   10/22/2010
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: I had pretty large expectations coming from Missouri to play Flip. I had read all the reviews and wondered if it was possible for a course to live up to all the hype. As we played the first few holes, I was enjoying it, but it seemed like there wasn't anything there that I hadn't seen before. I soon realized how brutally wrong I was.

Tees- Exceptional concrete tees. Plenty of length (which I feel dirty saying, considering how phallically shaped they were). There were brooms at every tee to brush them off which was very helpful as we went when the trees were all shedding their leaves. There were multiple shelters to chill out and take a break. The metal shelter where everyone signed their name was great. There were some pretty entertaining things on there.
Flow of the Course- Awesome…considering that the 6 holes were added after the fact I was amazed at how well the course flowed. The signage was awesome. Tee signs were great, but there were tons of added navigation helpers like the street signs at the pavilion and a few others. We had no trouble finding any of the tees or baskets. The course made perfect sense….which is so refreshing for a course that I hadn't played before. There was no wasted time on where to go next.
Course Play- The course was a blast. For an average player like myself I found plenty of challenge and variation. I threw every shot in my bag at one point or another. There was a ton of elevation change, which always adds so much to a course. There were quite a few pins in very precarious risk/ reward spots to add some intrigue to putting. A bazillion mature trees of all kinds. I can easily see how the course can be relevant for all skill levels.
Beauty- This was the thing that put the course over the top for me. I am sure that going in the fall only added to the brilliance, but I really felt like I was in disc golf heaven. Some of the views were unbelievably epic. The rock theme was so much more awesome than what I thought looking at pics online. Pictures really can't do this course justice at all. The rocks/ stones really add this extra level of cohesion and coolness that I didn't expect.
Cons: I really can't think of a single negative thing to say.
Other Thoughts: This course was amazing. Everything about my trip to Flip will be emblazoned in my memory for a long time. It is very difficult imagine a course I could enjoy more than Flip. I am sure they are out there, but this was the closest thing to perfection I have played so far. Well worth the 11-hour drive. I hope I get to again soon.

Lived up to the hype...

1    10/15/2010   10/17/2010
Review By: cooktastic
Pros: I have read the reviews of this course and heard the discussion on here for the past couple of years...and I finally got a chance to play this legendary course on our annual disc golf road trip. It was a long haul from Missouri up to Michigan...but the trip was worth it. It lived up to the praise that everyone has given it.

Everything about this course...the big and small details are special.

-the teepads are unique and plenty of room and there were brooms at each to clean the fallen leaves off
-the rock stackings throughout the course are amazing (I was left scratching my head on a few wondering how they were even balanced on each other)
-The trees were beautiful...amazing fall colors (we picked the right time of year to come)
-The variety of shots was very impressive (great elevation changes...short and long holes...open and heavily wooded holes...every shot was there)
-great benches, pavilions, and areas to just sit and take it all in
-loved some of the high risk greens with imminent drop-offs all around them
-super easy to navigate...no confusion at all as to where to go next
-really nice baskets
Cons: -I would really be nitpicking to come up with anything negative to say...too good of an experience to really notice anything bad to say about this place.
Other Thoughts: I can't believe this course is in someone's backyard. I'm pretty sure if it was in my yard I'm not so sure I would ever get much done for all the disc golf I would be playing. A must play for any disc golfer...do yourself a favor and find a way to make it up here.

Changed my definition of a good course

1    9/19/2010   10/9/2010
Review By: ArcheType
This review was updated on 6/28/2012
Pros: This course is truly the defining standard for a good course. It was so good its pushed me to look at my old reviews and see if the courses deserve the scores they got.

-Provides holes for every type of shot and line.

-Rock gardens were so pretty, and the mental pressure to not hit them (BAD LUCK!) really makes some holes a game in your head alone.

-The tees were all level and excellently maintained.

-The tee signs were small and unobstructive to the environment of the course.

-The pavilions are gorgeous resting places. They make benches by holes so much less appealing.

-This course has the best baskets on the market, imo.

-Several brooms were available to brush off tees.

-The course was excellently cleaned and trimmed, the fairways were perfect on every hole.

-The pin positions were PHENOMENAL. Risky pin positions are a favorite, and several of these gave the group 50+ft rollaways for missed putts.

-"Glowie" - play this course and you'll see.
Cons: -The biggest con for this course, it is TOO FAR AWAY!!! I could only dream of living close to Flip.

-Water hazards would've been nice, but in its defense, to build a man made water hazard would be far too costly, and not sustainable. Man made lakes always turn murky, dirty, and nasty with time, due to the environment. Using the land Bill had, he couldn't have designed a better course.
Other Thoughts: With all the great things about this course, the most outstanding of them all was.....BILL! This man is the kindest and most friendly man I believe I've met during my time playing DG. He left his house at after 11pm, led our car down to the campsite on foot, and help us set up camp! Then he led us to meet up with the other members to play some glow. The next night, after we'd returned from Leviathan, he left his house and met us at well after 1am, and brought us flip city mini's and pins! He then said he was sorry he couldn't play, but he had to be up at 6 to go to work! That level of caring and consideration is something you'll probably never see anywhere else in the world.

Also, to the amazing group of guys I played here with: Noill Golf, WorldsCoolestGuy, bizarbies, Jukeshoe, Terry C, and craftsman, I couldn't ask for a better group to disc with. You were all so much fun, that weekend will forever be the heyday of my DG career.

Idlewild visits Flip City

2-4    9/19/2010   10/4/2010
Review By: Fred Salaz
Pros: I just want to say that "This place Rocks"
So I wanted to take my employees out for the weekend to a disc golf course of their choice. I recommended Flip City and everyone got really excited about the trip. So, we leave on Sunday morning and 71/2 hours later we get to the Flip. It's midafternoon and everyone is ready to throw some plastic. Needless to say it was a great experience and seeing the "rocks" for the first time made me feel like I was back in the renaicance period. It was very cool. The course was fun, challenging, clean(gotta be clean) and a blast to play. I got to practice my roller which is something we can't really do much of in the Cincy area. It had everything that I could think of that makes a great disc golf course except water but it doesn't need it. It's great just the way it is.
I liked the gazebo's, brooms on each hole and bench's as well.
Cons: None except that it's too far away.
Other Thoughts: We met Bill and had a few brews with him that evening. He couldn't have been nicer and he let us camp out on his property. I took Bill a "I Survived Idlewild" tee shirt and disc(I'm such a suck up) and invited him to come down to Ky and play Idlewild.

I played the course fairly well and beat all my employees.

nati crew Visits FLIP

2-4    9/20/2010   9/21/2010
Review By: hanesjm
Pros: The course was beautifully designed and the hole lay out was up there with the best. protected baskets tight and open fairways, and a good mix of challenging and scoring holes. the rock formations around the entire course also add a additional element to the course because as long as they are not the short tee markers you have the opportunity to add your own touch to the course while waiting between shots, build something. Good elevation changes with hole that are down and up hill. GREAT COURSE!
Cons: Not a whole lot of distance, longest holes being around 550-650, although the protected baskets do challenge nearly as much as longer holes on other courses. trails in certain places off tee pads and or to the next tee can be a little steep and some stairs would be a great addition (Bill says stairs coming soon). This is a course where the cons are not really a worry because Bill is a man who is always adding to the course and any cons you have not may be pros in the near future.
Other Thoughts: We went up as a group from the Nati Disc Shop in Cincinnati and stayed for two days the hospitality that Bill showed to us and the fact that we where able to camp basically on the course and play a glow round was great. Great course that will only improve more and more due to Bill's dedication to the course and to the sport.

Flippin Out At FLIP!!!

2-4    9/19/2010   9/20/2010
Review By: TheWCG
Pros: Let me start out by saying this place was a Disc Golfers Paradise.. They amount of shots and lines required are up there with all the "5.0" courses I have rated. The course was easy to navigate, fairways were SUPER clean, 0% trash around, and Bill who runs the show out there is by far, one of the most "down to Earth" individuals I've met in the "Disc Golf World". And I loved all the rock sculptures up there too!!
Cons: One of the "Cons" which I hate to say is, there is NO water hazards to be found on this course. All the Courses I have rated a "5.0" have at least 1 water hazard. Although this kinda bummed me out, it didn't effect my rating. I'll tell you why in my "Other Thoughts".. Other than that HUGE water hazard downfall, this place was done right.:)
Other Thoughts: My first impression of this course was a 4.5 rating. I was also thinking of even a 4.0 at one point because of the water hazard factor during my Flip trip. But I had to let these "first impression" thoughts sink in a little bit before I jumped the gun. Water hazards are a HUGE deal to me in terms of rating any course. and this lovely place had none... But the more and more I thought about this course and the feeling I got from it was a "5.0" rating all the WAY!! I couldn't figure out why the feeling I got from Flip was a "5.0"? Then I started weighing different Pros and Cons of other courses that I have rated "The Best of The Best". And the one thing that threw me over to the "5.0" rating was the FLIP GLOW ROUNDS. The Glow rounds here were TOP NOTCH FUN!!! Where else could you have a bunch of beers in your bag, play an EXCELLENT course, and take your daytime fun and just cruise right into the night.. Nowhere I've played yet can offer that on the same level of fun.. So on that note, Flip City is a "5.0" in my book and will always be...
Also, The DGCR members I played with throughout the weekend were all stand up, geniune guys and made my Flip City experience one I will never forget..
Special thanks to: Noill Golf, Jukeshoe, Bill at Flip, ArcheType, bizarbies, craftsman, and Terry C.. All these guys helped make my weekend one of the best Discn trips I've ever had. All these DGCR members are unique and truly genuine people who are all very friendly, humble people and Disc Golf players alike. Thanks again!! I love you FLIP!!!! Keep it up Bill!!

Worth the trip

1    8/29/2010   9/12/2010
Review By: The Shide
Pros: Very well kept. Best I've seen in Michigan.
Cons: It's not just around the corner, but well worth the trip.
Other Thoughts: It really helps to play with someone who has been there before, which I did. Unfortunately we were in a hurry towards the end of our game because we had over an hour journey to get home & in my haste I left a disc.

I love this Course

5+    6/4/2010   9/7/2010
Review By: underpar24
Pros: Fairways are challenging but not so difficult that you can't find a lane. the rough is great, he mows path ways in the tall grass so that if you throw in it you can find it. All T-boxes are concrete and big. Great rolling hills. The grass is always mowed. Basically this course is as close to perfect as you can get.
Cons: Nothing!!!!
Other Thoughts: Everytime i make a trip to Michigan i put this course in my top pirority. I don't see any good reason to go here and not camp out for a night and get to play it for two days. Camping is great and the owners are awesome. Just throw them a nice donation and they don't care what you do. I also think you should camp there because then if you are with a nice group you can get a great night golf game in.

2-4    8/24/2010   9/3/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: Made two trips here now and stayed for total of two full weekends plus. (Had the pleasure of playing with more than one person who had longer term insights.)
This course is in my top ten played for overall enjoyment; on all levels.
Roll away greens here are excellent; and force all but gold rated players (who will more than likely be parked on most holes); to make choices regarding layup or going for 30-70 foot putts.
In regards to praise for Bill and maintenance/improvements here: Despite the massive number of reviews; players have been able to add new praise; partially because new and exciting stuff keeps happening. The half size tee posts with the gold tops appeared in May....classy little addition.
This course is interactive; like a toy, in that you feel able to add to the many wonderful rock sculptures. In fact, should you knock one over with a shot; you will feel obligated to rebuild it. (A group sharing camp area had knocked one over; and noted that it takes quite a while to rebuild even a fairly small one.)
Should be noted that many of these rock sculptures are completed in ways that make you say, "Hard to believe those supporting rocks support." Yet, they are entirely sound structures.
The many sheltered resting areas are meeting grounds with other players; shady retreats on a sunny day; and also encourage interaction as regards reading signatures of visitors and adding yours to the mix. Each shelter is unique.
Benches throughout the course also varied.
Extra six holes are tough. This a plus from both the standpoint of adding difficulty; and that you can skip these if interested in quicker; or less strenuous/time related round.
Port a potties; while never enjoyable; are available. Toilet paper has been continually present (somewhat to my surprise). Bring a roll or two and leave extra.
Scorecards present.
Water available.
Cool practice area; with full scale boat art.
You can play all night long if you wish...all night lonnnnng; all niiiiight; all night long; all riiiiight....Areba, Aruba....(I'm just making it up)
(For N.C. discers; artistic enhancements here on par with Ramcat Ridge X 60).
Should you happen to go in the very first garden bed by #1; beware the little hidden crocodile!
Various shot skills required. (I think the best possibility for #2 is a roller; though my roller game can't pull it off any more.)
Cow bell/hole clear, ringer is a nice touch.
On site play allows for easy, early morning rounds. Of course, if you were thirsty the day/night before; you can sleep in as well. In other words, allows for entire group to play as they choose; without conflict.
Cons: I think Am tees may be fairly tough to find (though I think 95% of everyone plays from cement tees and these are fine for beginners). Seems like I remember more than one set of rocks on many holes; which would seem to be confusing as to which to play.
At just over 5,500 ft. for numbered 18; the course is not up to most 5 star length standards. Extra six seems tougher; but compares in regards to footage average. Therefore, as noted, gold level players will have to get by on the fun factor; consider it a must score course, and will probably enjoy Leviathan and the Ludington courses more. Though for most players; I will rate L& L lower. Navigation much easier at Flip too.
There is no water in play here; and artificial o.b. is somewhat random. (Really only one hole where a big rock garden is a forced clear/choose layup; #11).
Other Thoughts: As has been mentioned many times; addition of Leviathan, Ludington courses (64 holes), Branstrom, and others in immediate area; makes this a top traveling destination spot. This adds to Flip's overall appeal.
I am getting towards 50 years of age. So, this is not the review of a brash young, long chucker. What disc golf has been about, at it's core, is well represented here: through design, landscape/art expression features and pure challenge in difficulty for most players. Roll away greens are one of disc golf's best answers to toughen putt attempts.
Bill knows what he's doing (Branstrom has his hand in it), and I imagine things will continue towards upside in all regards, for some years to come.
It is required that you contact Bill before arrival.

Surreal

2-4    6/28/2010   9/3/2010
Review By: Gonnagal
Pros: First and foremost my hats of to Bill for keeping this course as pristine as it is, and for so long. Bill really has a passion for disc golf and to share this truly tremendous course with everyone is beyond gracious. You can instantly see when you pull up to the course, everything is meticulous, from the fairways to the paths cut into the rough for wayward discs. As your conquer Flip, it takes you on a visually stunning hike through some of the best that northern Michigan has to offer. The first three to four holes are deceiving to how the rest of the course unfolds. As your walking to hole 5's basket, you instantly see how breath taking this course truly is. Not only is this course visually stunning, but it tests your shot selection almost every hole. Just about every tee pad has a broom to clear away debris. Making your way from one hole to the next is easily done with out a map. Granted the Ams and Womens tees are hard to find, as they're just noted by rocks in the fairway. The pro pads are in great shape, and even have a foul and follow through built into the concrete. The signs that show how the hole plays out are very nice, I wouldn't say they are as nice as Idlewild, but they do a great job. I can honestly say while playing Flip, you almost have this feel about you, like a feel good mystique about this course. Another nice touch to the course are what I would call welcome stations, that allow you to catch your breath and take in the true beauty of the course. There is also the sign in shelter on 2A. Another fun aspect to playing Flip is the pin placement. As frustrating as they are they add yet another element to your putting game. Hole 4 is probably the best example of this, if your approach or putt hits wrong, you have a solid chance of rolling down to almost the tee pad. Hole 4 is just the beginning of the great pin placement. This course also has it's fair share of blind holes to throw on as well, my favorite was after finishing 17, you get to ring the bell to signal that you've finished. The landscape of Flip is through out a forest, and it takes full advantage of using the foliage to test your shot making ability. Never does it make it look like a pin ball shot and a great deal of luck is needed to have a good shot.
Cons: As others have mentioned having more defined OB would make this course a little more challenging. I really liked how Idlewild accomplished this. The rock sculptures are OB, and very creative at that. This isn't the hardest course I've played, but it will take it's toll on you in a fun and rewarding way.
Other Thoughts: I wanted to wait and review Flip to I was able to play Idlewild to have another top ten course to compare it to. Idlewild is hands down a championship caliber course. Probably one of the hardest courses I've played. I would rate Idlewild a 4.5, because it doesn't have the same feel to it as Flip does. Really what more can be said that hasn't been said in the hundred plus reviews before this. 45 minutes north of Flip is yet another 4, 4+ rated courses in the Luddington area, which I HIGHLY recommend playing!! Seriously do yourself a favor and make the trek, you won't regret this pure Michigan experience.

1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19