Wadsworth, OH
Wadsworth Memorial DGC Share
Uploaded By: Mike C Hole #9 (Taken 7/2011)

Course is not quite finished

5+    7/24/2011   7/24/2011
Review By: Matt O
Pros: Holes don't seem repetitive, although they are short. They did a pretty good job of fitting this course into a park that has a lot of other things going on. Nice new baskets (as of this review hole 3 basket is still missing). For now it's good for a beginner to prepare for a more challenging course, i.e. Portage Lakes. There's a nice playground next to the parking area, I can come here with my wife and daughter and still sneak in a round.
Cons: The only major problems are the result of this being a new course (signs, tees, etc.), but this will improve eventually. Some of the baskets are close to the walking path, and one of the fairways contains a seldom used swing set. I have never had any trouble with this, as you can easily see if anyone is nearby.
Other Thoughts: I live in Wadsworth and am very excited to have a course close by. For now, this isn't a destination course. I know there are plans to install the back nine when the funding comes.

Easy But Enjoyable 9 Hole Course

2-4    7/22/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: Mike C
Pros: -The course has good scenery variety with the first 3 holes and hole 7 playing through woods, and the rest playing through a more open but moderately wooded park.

-Most the holes feature mild, gradual elevation changes, with a few steeper areas throughout. The fairways are a mix of pretty wide open to fairly wooded, but never very demanding in length or number of obstacles. There are some interesting turns on a few holes that keep things interesting, such as 7's various elevation changes.

-Fresh baskets. Basket placements were well done too. They were generally tucked behind corners or trees to make getting the birdie a little tricky, which helps add a little challenge.

-Short, beginner friendly holes with a few tighter fairways that demand some line shaping.

-Grills, tons of benches, tennis court, long walking trail, multiple pavilions, multiple playgrounds...I think I saw bathrooms too.

-The people involved in building the course seem dedicated to creating an enjoyable course, so I'm sure it will progress nicely.
Cons: -No tees. Tee areas are indicated by fading orange spray paint at the moment. I put some twigs in the ground near some of the teepads to make them easier to spot.

-No tee signs. No next tee signs. No numbers on baskets.

-Long walk from 9 to the parking area by 1. You could park in the middle, or if they add more holes this could be fixed.

-8 has a swing set near its fairway, which could make the hole difficult to throw if it were being used.

-For a skilled player there won't be much challenge. While it's certainly an enjoyable course, it doesn't offer much length, very many technical shots or difficult lines. For the most part, if you can throw a decent 250' hyzer backhand and forehand (Or BH turnover etc.), you'll have this park covered.
Other Thoughts: This course reminds me a lot of Louisville's Wildwood. While it's pretty short and not very demanding, it's still a solid, enjoyable 9 hole that's worth playing. It's not a destination course, but if you're in the area or heading out to Roscoe Ewing it'd be worth playing.

It looks like there is room for another 9 holes, and that way hole 18 could end closer to 1 than 9 currently does. Based on the quick google research I did it looks like they plan to put up signage etc. over the summer and then expand the course to 18 holes next year or when they get enough sponsors. Good to hear.

I'll be stopping by frequently to assess progress and enjoy the course. I work 2 miles away so this will give me something else to do on my lunch break than practice putts on my practice basket. I'm really happy to have a course so close by.

The Facebook page said they were looking for feedback on how to improve the course, but I don't have a Facebook so I'll leave it here and hope they see it: Next tee signs, teesigns, tee's, another 9 holes, clear out a few trees on the first part of hole 2, consider a set of long tees (Even just kickboards or something simple) for players looking for increased challenge (Or I'll make up my own :) ). Thanks for putting the course together!

The course rating will be raised as teepads, signage etc. are installed.