Charlotte, NC
Kilborne TPC Share

Middle of Pack for Charlotte Courses

5+    3/9/2013   3/31/2013
Review By: Mortis Canyon
Pros: Good signage that gives hole info and layout.
Course is easy to navigate.
Course has a good variety of holes that require an array of shots to score well.
Benches and trash cans at most if not all holes.
Multiple tee pads and baskets on most holes.
Course has other amenities, bathrooms, playgrounds, etc.
Course doesn't get in the way of others in the park.
Cons: Course can get very muddy when it rains.
The park itself can attract sketchy people. Always be on the lookout of who is around you and your group. I wouldn't recommend playing this course alone.
No tee signs or information for the Skillborne holes.
Other Thoughts: Even though Kilborne may lack some factors of some other Charlotte courses (Renny, Hornet's), it is still fun to play. If you are not from the area and have time, I would suggest playing at least once.

Don't get killed

2-4    12/27/2012   12/27/2012
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 7/5/2013
Pros: -Nice park in Charlotte with a fun disc golf course. Course flows very well and has no long transitions.
-Benches and trashcans are on every hole. I don't remember any litter laying around so it's well maintained.
-There is a practice basket by the course kiosk, it's labeled "0" and the course is very close to the parking lot.
-I played the worlds layout and #15 is AWESOME. One of the coolest par 4's I have played. It plays uphill and your approach shot is nicely downhill on an island green with water in play. That was definitely my favorite on the course.
-#18 is a another great hole. Teeshot is in the woods and then becomes open after 165' feet. It's a great finish to Kilborne.
-Good bit of variety here, doglegs, uphill/downhill on a few holes, open, wooded, and an island green.
-Great teesigns on the course, very accurate and it's easy to find the basket by looking at them.
-LONG teepads. I had no foot faults today because they are about 12 feet long.
-Two pin positions or two teepads on most holes. Not on the ace runs though but one of them is very tough.
-Course kiosk is beside #1, which is right of the giant field and parking lot. IIf you didn't bring a map, which is still recommended.
-Out of bounds isn't too bad on any holes. I didn't lose any discs. There was no tall grass or anything. Nicely groomed.
-I had no problems finding the holes, there ARE next tee signs from the longer transitions. If you look closely, there is an arrow pointing you straight ahead to #5 after you finish #4. Go straight ahead.
Cons: -You see in the previous review that the bathrooms are not marked. No, no they are not. The men's is to the right from what I saw so keep that in mind.
-#3's green in the short needs to be a cleared out a bit and #4 to the rightside can result in a lost disc but that's the only hole you should be conserned in losing a disc.
-Very sketchy. Some suspicious looking people hang around here. I didn't see any homeless people follow me but don't be surprised. This is in the "real bad part of town". In reference to my title, I am saying this can be very scary. You won't get killed (I was joking) but homeless people may be hitting up for money. This is why I woundn't recommend this for families who have small children.
-The entrance is very hard to find. If we didn't bring a GPS, we would probably be lost. Address is 2600 Kilborne drive.
-#14's basket is a bit tilted, it also doesn't catch as well as the others. The baskets catch okay but are very old.
-After a significant rainfall, the course can be very, very muddy. Don't bring your newer shoes.
Other Thoughts: Overall, the layout can't be much better however, I didn't like #9 at all, only because it's almost impossible to not hit a tree, but it's a great layout. I don't like that it's in the bad part of town but this course has some memorable holes, particularly #15 which I described in the pros as AWESOME. It provides a challenge for any players because a lot of the holes are doglegs which make it unique and interesting. The fun holes or standout would be #5, it's an easy straight wooded hole, #7 is a sidearmer's ace run, #13 is a more open short hyzer shot, #15 is the toughest hole, goes uphill for the teeshot and the approach goes downhill into an island green with a tough tunnel shot. #18 is the finishing hole that can't be 2'd unless you put a bit of mustard on it and give it a nice turn.
Overall, the course is worth the play, even though it's the most sketchy in Charlotte, you have plenty of holes to look forward to.

Very enjoyable course

2-4    6/28/2010   6/28/2010
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 5/4/2011
Pros: Note: this review pertains only to the original layout and not the soon to be completed "Skillborne" overlay course.

Kilborne provides a very good challenge for white and blue level players. Gold level players can still get a good workout here and the track is not too difficult for red level players. So, the appeal to a broad player base is a plus.

The course is very fun with clean fairways, minimal schule, little chance of losing discs and good flow from hole to hole.

A variety of shot shapes are required, the course is very "fair" and there are a few times that strategic choices come into play.

I disagree with other reviewers who've said that the park is in a bad part of town. It's a very nice park, across the street from a beautiful neighborhood and draws a diversity of people to play and relax. That is a GOOD thing!
Cons: There are several places that "next tee" signage is needed. Neither the main sign nor the individual tee signs mention the "Skillborne" layout. With multiple baskets on many holes, it is potentially confusing for first-time players. Courses need to have adequate signage, such that the first-time player can easily navigate ALL course layouts that are present.
Other Thoughts: We had the great pleasure of meeting Stan and Diane McDaniel at the course and are very appreciative for all their hard work and hospitality.

Don't be a dirty discer! Leave the course cleaner than you found it.

Also, enjoyed meeting many other friendly locals that are appreciative of their Charlotte area disc golf mecca.

Kilborne TPC

5+    1/2/2010   1/3/2010
Review By: bikinjack
Pros: A good variety of throws is needed, there are right and left turning, and straight fairways.

With relatively short holes, lots of chances for deuces can be had.

The fairways are just that, fair, and well defined. It's a fairly open course to be in the woods.

OB is nearly non-existent at Killborne.

Multiple tees and/or baskets are at every hole, to appeal to different skill levels.

Course signage is good, with signs showing a basic hole map, par and distance.

A practice basket is next to the parking lot, and there's a big field to throw in if you want to work on your technique.

There are restrooms near the parking lot, and the course plays back near them (and the parking lot) at the end of holes #8 & #9, and you're not too far away on several other holes.

Benches and thrash cans are at every tee. There are also pic-nic tables at several tees.

Plenty of convenience stores and restaurants are nearby.
Cons: First and foremost, this is a park in what is now a bad part of town. There seems to always be some shady characters hanging around. I personally would advise against playing there alone.

The course is popular, and gets crowded. You can almost expect to have to wait on a few holes, so it's a good thing there are all those benches and pic-nic tables.

On couple of the fairways that have grass growing in them, the grass never seems to get cut. I know it does at some point, but it just seems this way to me.

Course signage, while good, is not perfect. I've never noticed signs for the longer "Skilborne" layout, or arrows pointing to the next tee.

There's not a lot of hole length variety. Nothing really long, and nothing really short.

The holes are all pretty straight forward, with few creative "alternate" lines. There's little need to get creative and think outside of the box. Non-existent OB takes away a bit of the risk.
Other Thoughts: I enjoy playing Kilborne, and it keeps me coming back. It's a fun, not too challenging course, that can make you try out most of the throws in your arsenal.

shoulder to shoulder

5+    10/17/2009   10/26/2009
Review By: albert8fish
This review was updated on 11/25/2009
Pros: I love playing at this course, it is easy to play 3 rounds to Renny's one round.I give it a pitiful score, because of novice traffic jams alone.The course is cool, and fairly easy on the short tees.Can be hard to evil on the longs.Back nine is a forehanders paradise.I am one of those, and I take three birdies in a row most days with a cold arm.
Cons: Traffic.Bad traffic. You will encounter many parties of 4 or more with dogs that don't understand that you don't have tee times because it is easy to let you play through and continue your round(s) and discgolf is free. Simple etiquette folks, most important part of the game.Learn that first.Too crowded in the evenings, and that is midweek.Great sign for our sport, but, I mean come on now.
Other Thoughts: Unless you are an early bird, there will be no quick adrenaline run throughs, but is a fun course when the trannys arent there.Number 10 is mine, will ace it before I expire.

Fun but too easy

1    10/6/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: Redneck Machismo
Pros: Fun course with some pretty well thought out holes. Great course for beginners or a relaxing round.
Cons: Course is really too easy for anything more than rec play. Can be a little hard to get around from time to time.
Other Thoughts: Decent course but just out-dated.

Nice course

1    9/13/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: CHAINSEEKER66
Pros: Played the course for the first time over the weekend. Real enjoyable day. Nice range of shots. concrete tee pads at every hole except the new #9 Overall a good course.
Cons: Needs a some direction markers to next tee.Having never played found myself wondering on a couple of holes. But after playing 2 rounds was very familiar with the layout.
Other Thoughts: Being new to the game this is just a general review. I usally play Reedy Creek which is where I played first. I will play this course again. One note the pictures on this review page do not reflect the new layout and shifting of some tees.

Decent course

1    9/7/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: sdecker
Pros: Tee pads were adequate on every hole. Signage was mostly good. The course flowed well from hole to hole so locating the next tee was never a problem. A nice mix of shorts/longs and left/right shots required does not really favor any particular style.

Overall a good course if you are in the area. I had driven up to play Renaissance and this was just a quick second round. I wouldn't drive the 3+ hours up there to play just this course though.
Cons: There were just a few. On hole 15 there were a couple of young men who were pretty obviously peddling drugs or up to no good. I don't personally care if people want to blaze, but if I had my kids with me I'd be pissed.

There was also a random burnout dude wandering the course in a daze. I'm talking COMPLETELY shot out. If he's local and on the course all the time, I'd consider that a con. There were also random people spread out throughout the woods in weird places talking on cell phones and stuff. I've played a few courses in rougher areas, but this one was a step above.
Other Thoughts: The burnout dude creeped me out at first, but then we just labeled him as a zombie and got a good kick out of watching him shamble around - oo000hhhhhh, 'more brains' ooo0000hhh.

Good times, just not the best course I've ever played. Not bad, but not great either. If you're in the area, go enjoy it and tell the zombie I said hi. :-)

All Around Solid

1    8/21/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Good tee pads on every hole. Good balance of left and right dog legs. Clean fairways and no serious rough or underbrush to deal with when errant shot goes in woods. New multiple baskets on many holes to add to variety and difficulty. Look's like there will also be some new tee pads also.
Cons: Not a lot of cons. Course is in a park near a neighborhood so you have to deal with non-golfes. I had 2 kids biking down fairways and about 5 people using the fairways as walking trails. Not the course's fault, but something you have to deal with anyway. Course is being improved so the the signs aren't updated yet. As a first time player I had to find some of the new baskets by accident. Some long walks between holes.
Other Thoughts: I really liked the course itself, but the non-golfer activity does mess with the enjoyment of the round a little. The improvements being done will make the course better once they are all done. New signs marking the multiple basket positions would really help. Looks like the Charlotte Disc Golf Club is doing a good job trying to improve the course. I would definitely play again when I am in Charlotte. Once everything is done I think the course could easily earn a 3.5 or even a 4.

2-4    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: honeycu4
Pros: Good design with a few multi-shot holes. Must take advantage of easier holes as a few holes provide a nice challenge. Fairways are a must on most holes as rough and angles to pins can be very challenging. For me it is kind of a mix between Reedy and Sugaw.
Cons: Don't care for the park.