Charlotte, NC
Kilborne TPC Share

Super Fun

1    3/14/2013   3/15/2013
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: This course was an absolute blast to play! And thanks to a couple of local players - sorry, can't remember your names! - who provided me some insight into lines and distances!

Though tight in spots, the fairways were mostly open with only a few trees to navigate. And except for a few instances, getting back to the fairway and beyond after a bad kick was easy.

And the signage was SUPERB! Loved the hole layouts on the signs. I wish more folks would do that. Multiple baskets and tee pads add an extra incentive to stay and play multiple rounds
Cons: Can't really think of any. I just kept telling my new found friends how much I enjoyed the course.
Other Thoughts: One interesting fact about the course was the number of doglegs right off the tee pad. You had to shape a lot of shots from the get-go, but like I mentioned before, miss your line and you ain't all that bad.

Skillborne or Not, Very Interesting

1    12/31/2012   1/2/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Kilborne TPC is quite good, and has an 18 hole layout that can be played with numerous options, because most holes have two tee pads, as well as two baskets. Skillborne (long tee to long pin) layout I played required just about every throw I can think of, excluding almost any elevation change. Trees provide obstacles is some form on every hole, and several are densely wooded with very tight windows (especially on Skillborne). Both accuracy and distance are keys to success on this very technical course.
Cons: The course it's self is very good, in my opinion, but there are some cons. The equipment is all very functional, but the concrete tees were sometimes on the small side, the buckets on the baskets were on the shallow side, and signage left much to be desired. No tees had signs to illustrate shape or distance, but the baskets were all numbered at least. The flow of the course was not easy to follow, luckily we joined up with locals who knew where to go. Many baskets and or tees are often visible at the same time, and transitions between holes can be difficult to negotiate I would say. This course was the most crowded I visited in the city, in terms of other disc golfers. Several groups playing the short layout caught up with us and played through, while we traversed the Skillborne layout. Pace was slow. I found a bit of standing water on the first fairway, but after that the course was entirely dry.
Other Thoughts: Overall I liked Kilborne TPC a lot, and rate it excellent based mostly on versatility and difficulty. Not as nice as many of the other courses in the area, but still a good one. Thanks to Adam and Jim for hosting my last round of 2012. If you plan to try this one out, do yourself a favor and print the map. Somewhat reminds me of Elon Eager Beaver with less water and more distance.

Respect The Krewe

1    7/12/2012   7/12/2012
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This course has a great layout that really makes you shape good shots. Consistent tee pads with an alternate set of tee pads for a longer tougher layout on most holes. These longer tee pads have minis set in the concrete. Consistent baskets. Nice arrows of various different kids all over the place to help you find the next tee. Nice paths through the course to help you get around. A good variety of shots and several well designed holes that make good use of the land. The fun level on this course is high and should be that way for just about any skill level even though it is a tough challenging course. Set in a park that is nice with a playground and some ball fields. Bathrooms are near the playground. There definately appeared to be a good local crowd that loves and takes care of this course and I am very thankful for them and the work that they do.
Cons: Map on course sign is not accurate. Older baskets. Tee signs are not accurate as they are from an older layout. The bathrooms were not marked mens or womens so you kinds had to peek in and see if there was a urnal or not (the mens was on the right as you look at it from the playground, at least there was a urnal in there). In the middle of the afternoon and a weekday there was quite a bit of traffic, I can only imagine what this place would be like on the weekend.
Other Thoughts: I am reviewing this course after my practice round for the 2012 Am World Championships. This seems to be another one of those courses in the area with a lot of history behind it. It is definitely worth playing if you are in the area. There were times deep in the forest when you migh get turned aorund and not really know directions. Based on the way some holes were layed out I thought for sure we were about to cross a hole that I had already played, but that was not the case. That does not mean that you won't find several baskets in similar places. Make sure you are throwing to the right basket. I always have a lot of respect for local clubs or groups of people and the work that they do on courses. I know it was mentioned in the PDGA's info for this course that a local group has done a lot of work on this course and I highly respect this group.

Locals are too tough on this course

1    1/17/2010   1/17/2010
Pros: 1) Concrete tees help the overall score on this course. Skillborne layout does not have permanent tees yet but you can generally see packed areas of leaves.

2) Course challenges everyone despite having SOME very forgiving fairways. In my opinion it is an easier and more fair copy of Nevin or Hornets Nest. More skill is needed to play well, but luck is less of a factor here as it is at Nevin or Hornest Nest. Skillborne layout is a lot tougher than the original because the baskets are always longer and they are also tucked into pockets of the woods as opposed to having a wide open green area.

3) Tee signs are present but only contain Hole #, par and distance. I consider this a minimum. The picture ont he signs are mostly decorative and do not offer much of a layout. It does have a dot for the tee and a dot for the basket and a general shot shape, but there is no other detail about the hole. Skillborne layout does not have a tee sign and.or is not indicated on the original layout tee signs.

4) Course is way more forgiving than any of the other Charlotte courses of (Rennaisance, Nevin, Hornets Nest, Squirrel Lake) and thus is pretty beginner friendly. I would have no problem bringing a beginner to this course. Not only are the fairways somewhat forgiving but the holes will still challenge the beginner. i think it is a better place to learn than an open field except for the FIRST TIMER.

5) DGA baskets of differing ages and condition have custom # plates indicated Killborne or Skillborne layout. This is also listed int he negatives.

6) This course has a good variety of shot shaping. The fairways allow for some variance and decision making, but you still have to execute the shot. It has everything from hyzers, anhyzers, hyzer flips, skip hyzers, spike hyzers and even some straight shots. Bring it all!

7) Course has a good variety in foliage density, hole distance, slight elevation changes, and it includes some water in play

8) Garbage and benches at many teeboxes. Welcome additions to this course.

9) Multiple baskets left in the ground all of the time. This may create some confusion (but I already recommended they change the # plates be painted specific colors to avoid confusion) because on many holes you end up throwing right over the original basket to the deeper more challenging "Skillborne" baskets, but always having the flexibility to play this course different ways would be tremendous in my eyes. This concept is new to me to have "seperate" layouts but apparently the local CHarlotte crew has been doing it for a while because Hornets Nest and Renaissance also have the "Charlottes Web" layout.
Cons: 1) Some baskets have some strange chain configurations creating inconsistant catching. I am not sure if these were homemade additions to baskets with les chains or if this was the original intent, but a few of them are not in good shape. Baskets also are tough to differentiate between Kilborne and Skillborne layouts. I think they should have made all of the Skillborne baskets gold and the Kilborne baskets could have been Blue.

2) Course is entirely in the woods creating all sorts of rough spots in fairways. The ground is covered with tons of downed leaves, but the ground underneath is muddy and clay and will be very slick when it rains (which it did for the entire night before I played).

3) I have to agree that the fairways a little too forgiving in many spots. I like that they are easier than the other local courses but I would have been just fine playing another tough wooded course. This one was a little short of TOUGH, but it still did challenge,

4) Tee signs have only the minimum of info. The bulk of the sign is the local clubs logo. I would much rather see a bigger hole diagram especially because the baskets are not always visible from the tee. The lack of Skillborne info is also disappointing, but I assume this will be taken care of if they actually do get concrete installed on all the Skillborne holes.

5) Lacking in directional signage. It could get very confusing with the multiple layouts, multiple baskets, and multiple tees. Perhaps it will come when all the tees are in, but I was glad to have a local there even though he hadnt played the Skillborne layout before, he still knew where most of the tees were.

6) Apparently this is a bad part of town and there are shady people on the course at different times. I have always found playing DG in the rain and crappy weather keeps the creeps away because I didnt see anything out of the ordinary. I am also convinced Charlotte is a progressive city and locals ideas of safe and unsafe vary dramatically from say Milwaukee residents. I think that is the reason Kops Park is not allowed on the site because Timg is worried about peoples safety! Oops I broke my new years resolution, but I doubt he will see it unless he reads all reviews!!! Regardless the local non DGers have been a problem for some people so I thought I would mention it even though I didnt see it.
Other Thoughts: I have played some pretty awesome courses on my road trip but also on my 2 days in CHarlotte. I have gotten to Renaissance, Squirrel Lake, Hornets Nest, Nevin and Kilborne. I have to say that is a pretty nice selection and some might consider Kilborne to be "too easy" or "too little" of a course. I cannot go along with that notion and judging by the overall rating I think it is a better course than people give it credit for. I played it the same day as Nevin and Hornets Nest and 1 day after Renaissance and Squirrel Lake and sure it is a little more forgiving than the others, but it still is a great course in my opinion. I only wish Milwaukee had more good courses than just quantity because I could play any other these courses any day!!! Any course I would play everyday is at the worst a 3.5 disc course. I love the versatility of the multiple baskets being left in all the time. In WI we simply have multiple tees and single baskets (that generally get moved regularly) but on any day you could play this course 3-4 different ways. The Skillborne layout is definitely for the advanced player. Some of the teeshots require a simple layup to start the hole rather than risk a horrible ricochet, so if you are balls to the walls driver throwing player the Skillborne may not treat you well, but if you know when 50' less than max in the fairway is better than risking those bad shots, then playing the Skillborne layout is for you. Not all of those tees make the holes that much tougher but a handful do. It is more a factor of the basket location. You need way more variety in skills to get good access to some of those baskets. The normal baskets are way more accessible and generally a whole lot straighter. If you arent an early rec player I recommend playing both layouts, start with the shorts to know the holes, then play the longs to experience the greatness of the course. Although I only played the longs I did pay attention to the shot types on the regular layout and can say it would still be a fun course, but way more birdie opportunities than you would get the chance at on the SKillborne layout.
Have fun and huk it!

feels like home

5+    12/27/2009   12/27/2009
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: this is my home course, about 1.5 miles from the house. probably the better overall course in charlotte for all levels. there is a longer more challenging layout for players who need the challenge. but the original layout is good enough for most. for being in a busy part of town, you get a feeling of being in the woods, for a good part of the round. benches and trashcans at all holes. 2 baskets per hole. except #8 &#9
Cons: there is a fat lady who walks her dog through the park...she is responsible for putting large limbs and sticks in the paths from one hole to another. graffiti is on all the pic-nic tables and trashcans
Other Thoughts: ive played this course over a 100 times, and it still has its shine. it can get crowded, especially on the front 9. so i usually start on hole 10 when that is the case.

Solid DG course, lacking very little

5+    7/5/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: bettsjc
This review was updated on 9/20/2011
Pros: [UPDATED 9/20/11, with rating up to 4.0 because of recent love given to the course]

Located in a multi-purpose park, Kilborne offers alot to disc golfers of any level of play. Each hole has a long and short combo, either with tees, baskets or both, with the exception of hole 8 which is currently the same on both layouts. All baskets are in excellent condition, and all recently stolen baskets have been replaced. All tees are concrete(except for long 7 and 9 as of 9/20/11). New tee signs at all holes are sufficient, par, distance, and line shape posted(laminated printed paper attatched to posts). Nevermind the fact that the name of the course is misspelled on the tee signs. Benches at all tee pads except hole 10 and trash cans at about every tee.

This course stays fairly clean of litter, thanks to all who collect trash and dump it in the next can. Most of the wooded areas on the course are free of underbrush, which makes it quite tough to lose a disc that is close to the fairway.

The course has a mix of open and tight shots, left and right dog-legs.

With dual tee/basket placements, this course could be played as four different courses, keeping the course fresh for advanced players, and allowing beginner/intermediate players to play with little frustration.
Short tee/short basket: Beginner/Intermediate
Long tee/short basket: Intermediate/Advanced
Short tee/long basket: Intermediate/Advanced
Long tee/long basket: Advanced/Pro

In addition to the different combos to play, try the "Clash Layout". Layout designed for the Carolina Clash 2011, and will be used in future tournaments. Par 58;
Hole;Basket/Pin (S=short, L=long,)
1;S/L, 2;S/S, 3;S/S, 4;S/S, 5;L/S, 6;S/L, 7;S/S, 8;S/S, 9;S/S, 10;S/L, 11;S/S, 12;S/L, 13;S/S, 14;S/L, 15;S/L, 16;S/S, 17;S/S, 18;S/L. Par 4s are #s 6, 12, 15, 17.
Cons: Lack of elevation is the only true downfall of the course. Some holes, even though they run through the woods, have a wide and forgiving fairway which play fairly easy without having to worry about terrain. Holes 14 and 15 have mild elevation compaired to the rest of the course, but this is a pretty easy walking course as it is mostly flat.

Anything else that may be considered a con would just be nitpicking. The course is under new direction, and those currently in charge have been putting their asses into turning the course around into a clean and beautiful natural experience.
Other Thoughts: A course for all levels of play, Kilborne is a somewhat technical course and can require a variety of shots. Most holes would not qualify as "let 'r rip" holes. Strategy plays a huge role in a good round at Kilborne.

Long tees to long baskets is known as "Skillborne", and was recently added for use for the 2012 PDGA Worlds, which will be played in Charlotte. Thank you to CharlotteDGC and the Kilborne Krew for the addition of the new tees and baskets, along with the constant upkeep of this beautiful course.

Favorite Holes: 14, 18, 4

Least Favorite: 9, 16, 7

PLAY SKILLBORNE!

Love this course

2-4    5/25/2009   5/29/2009
Review By: sloshed
Pros: Course Layout
Good mix open wooded
Condition of Course
Enjoyment factor
Fair use of elevation changes
Cons: Signage is there but not in good condition as of date last played
risk reward is not that great on most holes
Other Thoughts: Wife and I play this one when we come to town. There is something about this course we both love. Would highly recomend it to anyone.

A- = A Great Course!

5+    12/30/2008   4/23/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- C+
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Oh....and a PS: I love the online "Be the Disc!" narrated fly-by videos! :)

My Favorite Charlotte Course

5+    7/2/2009   11/17/2008
Review By: YonderScott
This review was updated on 8/5/2009
Pros: This is easily my favorite Charlotte course, Reedy Creek being second. I love the seculeded feel you have on most holes. This is a woods course that is fairly open. 14-17 are my favorite 4 holes, they are really tough but fair. Basket placements make them a challenge to me. I would recommend anyone of any level to play this if you are in Charlotte. There are multiple baskets on some holes. Benches on every hole, tee signs, picnic tables on some holes, plenty of trash cans, and restrooms near the break between 9 and 10. You need to be in the fairway with your throws, getting into the trees can really wreck your score here, and to me that is a plus.
Cons: In the fall you have a ton of leaves on almost every hole, making it impairative to keep an eye on where your disc lands. And it helps to throw a bright disc. There are a couple of holes that might be hard on a first timer to this course as far as finding the next hole. Transition from 5 to 6 comes to mind, go left on the walking path. The tee signs are starting to date and I would question the length on a few of them. They are soon to be replaced.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in the Charlotte area. But I do have to say I don't have big D. The Killy layout is great for novice up to intermediate. The Skilly layout will challange anyone. For me this course is just a great walk through the woods with a great course thrown in.

Update-A lot of recent work has been done on this course. #1 and #2 have changed and there is a new #9. The intention was to get back to the original intent of the course prior to the park renovations. The Skilborne layout has been completed and is a monster layout with a par 70. Once the concrete tees for that layout and the new tee signs are in I will give a better updated review.

Kilborne/Skillborne

5+    11/5/2008   11/14/2008
Review By: borndasaur
This review was updated on 11/26/2009
Pros: Two course layouts using 2 tees and 2 baskets on most of the holes. Signage is being upgraded to reflect major changes (see below). The long course (Skillborne) will challenge pros while the short course challenges rec players. Good mix of long/short, right/left doglegs, slopes and flat keep it interesting. Drinking fountain and indoor restrooms available. The front nine loop back to the restrooms and the back nine loop back to the parking lot. All concrete tees on the short course, most tees have benches and trash cans. Some tees have picnic tables.
Cons: The paths for the course cross walking trails at some points which causes some confusion. Watch out for pedestrians using fairways as walking paths. The fairway on hole 2 is pinched between woods and a heavily used soccer field which can cause some delay. (The soccer fields are temporarily closed so this problem is gone for now.) The fairway on hole 10 borders a fenced baseball field and shots lost high and short to the left will be over the fence.
Other Thoughts: The park closes promptly at sunset. Leave when you hear the horns or sirens.

There have been major changes made to the Skillborne layout. New, natural tees have been created for holes 1 thru 9, and 11 thru 18. Hole #1 has been changed to throw from the #1 tees to what was the #2 basket. The old #1 basket has been moved to a new short position. The hole numbers on the front 9 have been changed. A new #9 hole has been added between new #8 and #10. A long basket has been added to #18 This new layout emphasizes both accuracy and control lending new meaning to the name SKILLborne. Par is set at 70.