Charlotte, NC
Kilborne TPC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #6 (Taken 6/2010)

Locals are too tough on this course

1    1/17/2010   1/17/2010
Pros: 1) Concrete tees help the overall score on this course. Skillborne layout does not have permanent tees yet but you can generally see packed areas of leaves.

2) Course challenges everyone despite having SOME very forgiving fairways. In my opinion it is an easier and more fair copy of Nevin or Hornets Nest. More skill is needed to play well, but luck is less of a factor here as it is at Nevin or Hornest Nest. Skillborne layout is a lot tougher than the original because the baskets are always longer and they are also tucked into pockets of the woods as opposed to having a wide open green area.

3) Tee signs are present but only contain Hole #, par and distance. I consider this a minimum. The picture ont he signs are mostly decorative and do not offer much of a layout. It does have a dot for the tee and a dot for the basket and a general shot shape, but there is no other detail about the hole. Skillborne layout does not have a tee sign and.or is not indicated on the original layout tee signs.

4) Course is way more forgiving than any of the other Charlotte courses of (Rennaisance, Nevin, Hornets Nest, Squirrel Lake) and thus is pretty beginner friendly. I would have no problem bringing a beginner to this course. Not only are the fairways somewhat forgiving but the holes will still challenge the beginner. i think it is a better place to learn than an open field except for the FIRST TIMER.

5) DGA baskets of differing ages and condition have custom # plates indicated Killborne or Skillborne layout. This is also listed int he negatives.

6) This course has a good variety of shot shaping. The fairways allow for some variance and decision making, but you still have to execute the shot. It has everything from hyzers, anhyzers, hyzer flips, skip hyzers, spike hyzers and even some straight shots. Bring it all!

7) Course has a good variety in foliage density, hole distance, slight elevation changes, and it includes some water in play

8) Garbage and benches at many teeboxes. Welcome additions to this course.

9) Multiple baskets left in the ground all of the time. This may create some confusion (but I already recommended they change the # plates be painted specific colors to avoid confusion) because on many holes you end up throwing right over the original basket to the deeper more challenging "Skillborne" baskets, but always having the flexibility to play this course different ways would be tremendous in my eyes. This concept is new to me to have "seperate" layouts but apparently the local CHarlotte crew has been doing it for a while because Hornets Nest and Renaissance also have the "Charlottes Web" layout.
Cons: 1) Some baskets have some strange chain configurations creating inconsistant catching. I am not sure if these were homemade additions to baskets with les chains or if this was the original intent, but a few of them are not in good shape. Baskets also are tough to differentiate between Kilborne and Skillborne layouts. I think they should have made all of the Skillborne baskets gold and the Kilborne baskets could have been Blue.

2) Course is entirely in the woods creating all sorts of rough spots in fairways. The ground is covered with tons of downed leaves, but the ground underneath is muddy and clay and will be very slick when it rains (which it did for the entire night before I played).

3) I have to agree that the fairways a little too forgiving in many spots. I like that they are easier than the other local courses but I would have been just fine playing another tough wooded course. This one was a little short of TOUGH, but it still did challenge,

4) Tee signs have only the minimum of info. The bulk of the sign is the local clubs logo. I would much rather see a bigger hole diagram especially because the baskets are not always visible from the tee. The lack of Skillborne info is also disappointing, but I assume this will be taken care of if they actually do get concrete installed on all the Skillborne holes.

5) Lacking in directional signage. It could get very confusing with the multiple layouts, multiple baskets, and multiple tees. Perhaps it will come when all the tees are in, but I was glad to have a local there even though he hadnt played the Skillborne layout before, he still knew where most of the tees were.

6) Apparently this is a bad part of town and there are shady people on the course at different times. I have always found playing DG in the rain and crappy weather keeps the creeps away because I didnt see anything out of the ordinary. I am also convinced Charlotte is a progressive city and locals ideas of safe and unsafe vary dramatically from say Milwaukee residents. I think that is the reason Kops Park is not allowed on the site because Timg is worried about peoples safety! Oops I broke my new years resolution, but I doubt he will see it unless he reads all reviews!!! Regardless the local non DGers have been a problem for some people so I thought I would mention it even though I didnt see it.
Other Thoughts: I have played some pretty awesome courses on my road trip but also on my 2 days in CHarlotte. I have gotten to Renaissance, Squirrel Lake, Hornets Nest, Nevin and Kilborne. I have to say that is a pretty nice selection and some might consider Kilborne to be "too easy" or "too little" of a course. I cannot go along with that notion and judging by the overall rating I think it is a better course than people give it credit for. I played it the same day as Nevin and Hornets Nest and 1 day after Renaissance and Squirrel Lake and sure it is a little more forgiving than the others, but it still is a great course in my opinion. I only wish Milwaukee had more good courses than just quantity because I could play any other these courses any day!!! Any course I would play everyday is at the worst a 3.5 disc course. I love the versatility of the multiple baskets being left in all the time. In WI we simply have multiple tees and single baskets (that generally get moved regularly) but on any day you could play this course 3-4 different ways. The Skillborne layout is definitely for the advanced player. Some of the teeshots require a simple layup to start the hole rather than risk a horrible ricochet, so if you are balls to the walls driver throwing player the Skillborne may not treat you well, but if you know when 50' less than max in the fairway is better than risking those bad shots, then playing the Skillborne layout is for you. Not all of those tees make the holes that much tougher but a handful do. It is more a factor of the basket location. You need way more variety in skills to get good access to some of those baskets. The normal baskets are way more accessible and generally a whole lot straighter. If you arent an early rec player I recommend playing both layouts, start with the shorts to know the holes, then play the longs to experience the greatness of the course. Although I only played the longs I did pay attention to the shot types on the regular layout and can say it would still be a fun course, but way more birdie opportunities than you would get the chance at on the SKillborne layout.
Have fun and huk it!

Another Good Charlotte Course

1    12/12/2009   1/7/2010
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Overall, Kilborne TPC is a nice DG course. It's definitely not the most extravagant course in Charlotte, but don't let that stop you from playing here. Concrete tees, adequate tee-signs, benches, dual tees, dual pins, nice baskets, good shots, and fair.
- Open Wooded. The course plays mostly through the woods (16 holes)… however, the FAIRways are really fair… (almost to a fault). Most are 20+ foot wide and mostly clear of obstacles, but with tons of punishment for drives that don't find the fairway.
- Two Looks. There are two courses that overlap each other: Kilborne TPC (original) and Skilborne (long)… thus, letting you select the experience you desire (short tee to short pin, short tee to long pin, long tee to short pin, long tee to long pin). Of the other Charlotte courses with overlapping layouts, (S)Kilborne is the cleanest looking.
Cons:
- No Directional Signage. This course is fairly easy to navigate, however I got lost twice?? Several holes end near the tee-pads of other (not the next) holes (i.e. 5 pin and 14 tee… it wasn't until I got to 14's pin that I realized I messed up)... A few simple arrows pointing to the next tee would help tremendously.
- Scary Bum. At two different points on the course there was a bum creeping through the woods near me. I don't know what he was trippin' on, but he was doing some heavy breathing exercises and kinda moving around behind me in the woods… made me miss my putt.
- Kilborne Layout. The Kilborne TPC layout seems pretty straight forward. The fairways have defined shapes and are wide enough to allow you to shape the shot that is required. The shots ranged from 200-400, but most hovered around 300. There also seemed to be an equal number of straight, right, and left holes. Slightly longer and nicer than Reedy.
-Skilborne Layout. I did not play the Skilborne layout due to looming darkness, however I did get a look at a lot of the shots and can say that the Skilborne Layout is much more difficult than the original layout. The shots are either much, much longer or require some sort of drive to a layup zone to dogleg finish… and the pins are located in heavier woods. No tee-signs for this layout yet (that I saw).
- My Rankings. If you're planning a road trip to Charlotte, here are my rankings (of the courses I've played): Renny, Hornetts, Sugaw, Kilborne, Reedy, …………………Veterans.
- My Score: a disappointing -4 (pro Par)

Kilborne TPC

5+    1/2/2010   1/3/2010
Review By: bikinjack
Pros: A good variety of throws is needed, there are right and left turning, and straight fairways.

With relatively short holes, lots of chances for deuces can be had.

The fairways are just that, fair, and well defined. It's a fairly open course to be in the woods.

OB is nearly non-existent at Killborne.

Multiple tees and/or baskets are at every hole, to appeal to different skill levels.

Course signage is good, with signs showing a basic hole map, par and distance.

A practice basket is next to the parking lot, and there's a big field to throw in if you want to work on your technique.

There are restrooms near the parking lot, and the course plays back near them (and the parking lot) at the end of holes #8 & #9, and you're not too far away on several other holes.

Benches and thrash cans are at every tee. There are also pic-nic tables at several tees.

Plenty of convenience stores and restaurants are nearby.
Cons: First and foremost, this is a park in what is now a bad part of town. There seems to always be some shady characters hanging around. I personally would advise against playing there alone.

The course is popular, and gets crowded. You can almost expect to have to wait on a few holes, so it's a good thing there are all those benches and pic-nic tables.

On couple of the fairways that have grass growing in them, the grass never seems to get cut. I know it does at some point, but it just seems this way to me.

Course signage, while good, is not perfect. I've never noticed signs for the longer "Skilborne" layout, or arrows pointing to the next tee.

There's not a lot of hole length variety. Nothing really long, and nothing really short.

The holes are all pretty straight forward, with few creative "alternate" lines. There's little need to get creative and think outside of the box. Non-existent OB takes away a bit of the risk.
Other Thoughts: I enjoy playing Kilborne, and it keeps me coming back. It's a fun, not too challenging course, that can make you try out most of the throws in your arsenal.

feels like home

5+    12/27/2009   12/27/2009
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: this is my home course, about 1.5 miles from the house. probably the better overall course in charlotte for all levels. there is a longer more challenging layout for players who need the challenge. but the original layout is good enough for most. for being in a busy part of town, you get a feeling of being in the woods, for a good part of the round. benches and trashcans at all holes. 2 baskets per hole. except #8 &#9
Cons: there is a fat lady who walks her dog through the park...she is responsible for putting large limbs and sticks in the paths from one hole to another. graffiti is on all the pic-nic tables and trashcans
Other Thoughts: ive played this course over a 100 times, and it still has its shine. it can get crowded, especially on the front 9. so i usually start on hole 10 when that is the case.

shoulder to shoulder

5+    10/17/2009   10/26/2009
Review By: albert8fish
This review was updated on 11/25/2009
Pros: I love playing at this course, it is easy to play 3 rounds to Renny's one round.I give it a pitiful score, because of novice traffic jams alone.The course is cool, and fairly easy on the short tees.Can be hard to evil on the longs.Back nine is a forehanders paradise.I am one of those, and I take three birdies in a row most days with a cold arm.
Cons: Traffic.Bad traffic. You will encounter many parties of 4 or more with dogs that don't understand that you don't have tee times because it is easy to let you play through and continue your round(s) and discgolf is free. Simple etiquette folks, most important part of the game.Learn that first.Too crowded in the evenings, and that is midweek.Great sign for our sport, but, I mean come on now.
Other Thoughts: Unless you are an early bird, there will be no quick adrenaline run throughs, but is a fun course when the trannys arent there.Number 10 is mine, will ace it before I expire.

Fun but too easy

1    10/6/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: Redneck Machismo
Pros: Fun course with some pretty well thought out holes. Great course for beginners or a relaxing round.
Cons: Course is really too easy for anything more than rec play. Can be a little hard to get around from time to time.
Other Thoughts: Decent course but just out-dated.

Nice course

1    9/13/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: CHAINSEEKER66
Pros: Played the course for the first time over the weekend. Real enjoyable day. Nice range of shots. concrete tee pads at every hole except the new #9 Overall a good course.
Cons: Needs a some direction markers to next tee.Having never played found myself wondering on a couple of holes. But after playing 2 rounds was very familiar with the layout.
Other Thoughts: Being new to the game this is just a general review. I usally play Reedy Creek which is where I played first. I will play this course again. One note the pictures on this review page do not reflect the new layout and shifting of some tees.

Decent course

1    9/7/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: sdecker
Pros: Tee pads were adequate on every hole. Signage was mostly good. The course flowed well from hole to hole so locating the next tee was never a problem. A nice mix of shorts/longs and left/right shots required does not really favor any particular style.

Overall a good course if you are in the area. I had driven up to play Renaissance and this was just a quick second round. I wouldn't drive the 3+ hours up there to play just this course though.
Cons: There were just a few. On hole 15 there were a couple of young men who were pretty obviously peddling drugs or up to no good. I don't personally care if people want to blaze, but if I had my kids with me I'd be pissed.

There was also a random burnout dude wandering the course in a daze. I'm talking COMPLETELY shot out. If he's local and on the course all the time, I'd consider that a con. There were also random people spread out throughout the woods in weird places talking on cell phones and stuff. I've played a few courses in rougher areas, but this one was a step above.
Other Thoughts: The burnout dude creeped me out at first, but then we just labeled him as a zombie and got a good kick out of watching him shamble around - oo000hhhhhh, 'more brains' ooo0000hhh.

Good times, just not the best course I've ever played. Not bad, but not great either. If you're in the area, go enjoy it and tell the zombie I said hi. :-)

All Around Solid

1    8/21/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Good tee pads on every hole. Good balance of left and right dog legs. Clean fairways and no serious rough or underbrush to deal with when errant shot goes in woods. New multiple baskets on many holes to add to variety and difficulty. Look's like there will also be some new tee pads also.
Cons: Not a lot of cons. Course is in a park near a neighborhood so you have to deal with non-golfes. I had 2 kids biking down fairways and about 5 people using the fairways as walking trails. Not the course's fault, but something you have to deal with anyway. Course is being improved so the the signs aren't updated yet. As a first time player I had to find some of the new baskets by accident. Some long walks between holes.
Other Thoughts: I really liked the course itself, but the non-golfer activity does mess with the enjoyment of the round a little. The improvements being done will make the course better once they are all done. New signs marking the multiple basket positions would really help. Looks like the Charlotte Disc Golf Club is doing a good job trying to improve the course. I would definitely play again when I am in Charlotte. Once everything is done I think the course could easily earn a 3.5 or even a 4.

Solid DG course, lacking very little

5+    7/5/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: bettsjc
This review was updated on 9/20/2011
Pros: [UPDATED 9/20/11, with rating up to 4.0 because of recent love given to the course]

Located in a multi-purpose park, Kilborne offers alot to disc golfers of any level of play. Each hole has a long and short combo, either with tees, baskets or both, with the exception of hole 8 which is currently the same on both layouts. All baskets are in excellent condition, and all recently stolen baskets have been replaced. All tees are concrete(except for long 7 and 9 as of 9/20/11). New tee signs at all holes are sufficient, par, distance, and line shape posted(laminated printed paper attatched to posts). Nevermind the fact that the name of the course is misspelled on the tee signs. Benches at all tee pads except hole 10 and trash cans at about every tee.

This course stays fairly clean of litter, thanks to all who collect trash and dump it in the next can. Most of the wooded areas on the course are free of underbrush, which makes it quite tough to lose a disc that is close to the fairway.

The course has a mix of open and tight shots, left and right dog-legs.

With dual tee/basket placements, this course could be played as four different courses, keeping the course fresh for advanced players, and allowing beginner/intermediate players to play with little frustration.
Short tee/short basket: Beginner/Intermediate
Long tee/short basket: Intermediate/Advanced
Short tee/long basket: Intermediate/Advanced
Long tee/long basket: Advanced/Pro

In addition to the different combos to play, try the "Clash Layout". Layout designed for the Carolina Clash 2011, and will be used in future tournaments. Par 58;
Hole;Basket/Pin (S=short, L=long,)
1;S/L, 2;S/S, 3;S/S, 4;S/S, 5;L/S, 6;S/L, 7;S/S, 8;S/S, 9;S/S, 10;S/L, 11;S/S, 12;S/L, 13;S/S, 14;S/L, 15;S/L, 16;S/S, 17;S/S, 18;S/L. Par 4s are #s 6, 12, 15, 17.
Cons: Lack of elevation is the only true downfall of the course. Some holes, even though they run through the woods, have a wide and forgiving fairway which play fairly easy without having to worry about terrain. Holes 14 and 15 have mild elevation compaired to the rest of the course, but this is a pretty easy walking course as it is mostly flat.

Anything else that may be considered a con would just be nitpicking. The course is under new direction, and those currently in charge have been putting their asses into turning the course around into a clean and beautiful natural experience.
Other Thoughts: A course for all levels of play, Kilborne is a somewhat technical course and can require a variety of shots. Most holes would not qualify as "let 'r rip" holes. Strategy plays a huge role in a good round at Kilborne.

Long tees to long baskets is known as "Skillborne", and was recently added for use for the 2012 PDGA Worlds, which will be played in Charlotte. Thank you to CharlotteDGC and the Kilborne Krew for the addition of the new tees and baskets, along with the constant upkeep of this beautiful course.

Favorite Holes: 14, 18, 4