Charlotte, NC
Kilborne TPC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #13 (Taken 6/2010)
Hole #6 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
 Always a Treat to Play

5+    6/19/2014   6/19/2014
Review By: BringBackTheBuzzz
This review was updated on 6/20/2014
Pros: This is a great course. The "fun" factor is high as it's not especially difficult but features many holes that are a lot more tricky than they initially appear.

It's difficult to lose discs here; the course gets a lot of play, so there are multiple paths in and around many of the rough areas and the brush has been beaten back a good bit. Wider fairways give you a chance to shape shots without too much fear of getting kicked into the rough.

That said, while you can easily find your disc, your score will definitely suffer if you miss your line by a few feet here and there on many of these holes. I consider this a pro because it keeps the score challenging.

There are a few holes - 1, 3, 6, and 12 come to mind - that are much more tricky than they initially appear. On 3, for instance, you have a wide fairway beckoning you for a big hyzer shot but a well-protected green that can quickly turn your birdie into a bogey. I love holes like this because they make you stop and think what your approach will be instead of having an obvious strategy.

Benches, long tee pads, and trash cans are aplenty.

This is the only decent course that's located right outside uptown Charlotte.

There are multiple tee pads all over the park. In some cases, this simply provides a slightly longer shot, such as in the Skillborne layout. Other times this may invite a great chance to safari the course. For instance: for hole 1, there are three potential tee pads, none of which are close to the other - one at the edge of the nearby field; one way over by the road, with a direct line to the basket; and of course, the main one right next to the bulletin board. Hole 2 features a potential alternate tee pad at the edge of the field and the woods, to the left of hole 1's basket.

The locals who play here often are among the most friendly, knowledgeable, and skilled discers in the area. Meet some new friends here!
Cons: For whatever reason, the park itself tends to attract some seedy characters. It's not enough to affect my rating too much, but it does make me pause before bringing my family around. Just be aware. Many disc courses are in bad areas but the crowd seems to be worse here.

The course doesn't quite have the length and variety to be true championship layout.

I don't understand the point of Skillborne; to me, it's just a slightly longer version of the same shot. The current regular layout is just fine for this course, and as stated above the random, once-used tee pads located in a couple places would be better suited for the alternate version.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a fantastic course. Kilborne is my home course; I play here all the time and I am nowhere near tired of it. I have really learned a lot about myself and about how to play the game from the different shots this course forces you to take. This is a great place to introduce someone to disc golf and get him or her to continue to hone the skills of this great game!

Aging well

1    12/18/2013   12/21/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Set almost entirely in the woods, Kilborne has wider fairways than many of the other Charlotte courses. They aren't absurdly wide, but you won't necessarily get punished harshly if your shot is 3 feet off its line.

To score well, you need to be able to shape lines here, but the course allows you a reasonable berth to do so (on many holes you'll need a hyzer followed by a turnover or vice versa). This makes it a great intermediate course, even though it is a perfectly reasonable place to introduce someone to wooded disc golf.

As for advanced players, there are longer tee pads that usually force a tougher gap to hit. On top of that, there are longer baskets on many holes that are colored blue, so there is no confusion as to which you are playing to. I am a big fan of multiple baskets on a hole.

My favorite hole was 15, a 500-foot hole requiring a well-placed drive to negotiate the dogleg, and then an accurate approach to the basket next to a creek. There is a nice drop zone on a peninsula created by the creek.

Navigation was pretty easy, and I only consulted the map twice.
Cons:
The longer tee pads tend to be straight behind the shorter pads, so it's usually a longer look with a narrower gap, but it's not a completely different look.

There is some inevitable repetition with a course in the woods that has no elevation changes. All the holes were solid, but few were especially memorable.
Other Thoughts: From the fairways, the walking paths, and the baskets, this course is showing its age. Not in a bad way, more in a Helen Miren-esque way.

One of the things I think about when reviewing is the re-playability of the course. This isn't always easy when you're playing a course once, but I know from experience that courses with dual tee pads and dual baskets are pretty tough to get tired of. I'd be very happy to have this as my home course.

Old School and Cool

1    11/16/2013   11/16/2013
Review By: Bergman Bomber
Pros: Kilborne is a very old school and is a blast to play. Most every hole is really open even being carved out of the woods with some obstacle trees to maneuver around. Every fairway is well worked in and you can really tell Kilbornes age. Not Left or Right hand dominate holes with some holes making you decide which way to fade. Even with little signage this is a relatively easy course to navigate. The thing I really liked about Kilborne was that is was not that challenging. Very very flat makes it a easy course to do in a big day of disc golf around Charlotte.
Cons: When I showed up to Kilborne the first thing I noticed how old the pin are. They are double chains but a old school pin. I mean did they use these pins when Worlds was here 2 years ago? But they do the job. I think some of the upkeep could be a little better with maybe cleaning the course up and the benches. And if you are use to the hard, challenging courses that are around Charlotte this may not be the course for you, but you need that every now and then.
Other Thoughts: I really really enjoyed playing Kilborne. I felt it was a great place to bring a group of golfers and having a close game and the end. Overall I can see why disc golf became so popular.

Super-enjoayable round - I will be back!

1    11/13/2013   11/13/2013
Review By: pfpro
This review was updated on 11/19/2013
Pros: - This overall layout of the course is strong. It is not a killer course, but it was fun to play.
- Multiple pads (and pins on some holes) allows for variation. I don't think you could get bored if this was the only park you had to play (OK - if you knew Renaissance was 20 minutes away and had played it, you may consider this boring....). For the most part the blue baskets just make the holes a bit longer - they didn't really change the shapes - so when I thought I was throwing at the basket - I could see the blue basket for the approach shots.
- It was a wooded course with "fair" fairways. They are not punishingly narrow (actually, some may think they are a bit wide).
- It seems like it is in a very nice park - and the course seems like it is set apart from the other activities (for the most part). I actually like the fact that you see this big open field when you park, and then the course is tucked into the woods. It didn't feel too crowded, and there weren't a ton of long walks between holes. You could use the field for practice - I'm guessing
- Tee 1 super easy find, with full course map so you can snap a picture and practice basket for warm-up.
- The design is intelligent - for the most part, the shorter holes have some sort of dogleg that make them not be a pitch and putt hole.
Cons: - Minor con, but the flow is sometimes non-intuitive. Many times there were arrows to the next tee, but sometimes there weren't. I had to refer back to the picture I took at the kiosk.
- The map and signs don't show the alternate pads or baskets. I'm guessing they were new from 2012 where people only cared about the specific basket they were throwing at. It would be nice if there was a map (somewhere, anywhere.... please) that showed the alternate pads and baskets along with the distances. Don't necessarily need it on the teepad (would be nice), but something to reference. If you are a regular, I'm sure this is not an issue.
Other Thoughts: I am reviewing this as someone passing through the area. I played a brisk autumn round today and completely enjoyed may experience. I thought the course flowed nicely, there was an intelligent mix of long(er) (no 1000' footers here) and short, straight (which, most seemed to have a secondary long pin to keep it challneging) and dog-legged holes. It will challenge you without punishing you! I will definitely be stopping here again as I travel through the area. Not as "epic" as Renny, but I thought it was a fun, quick round. If I could have navigated the extra pads/baskets from a map, I would have bumped the rating up to 4.0 (*was reviewing my reviews and did bump this up to 3.5)

One of the best in Charlotte

5+    6/9/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: doctharock
Pros: This course is very fun to play. You have long holes to let it fly (6,12, 15 if you are brave,16,17) and some great tight holes (2, 9, 13). What i love best is that you truly do need every shot in the bag to play this course, and it can be extremely rewarding as the short course is probably one of the easier to play for beginners. It is also one of the toughest from the Skillborne layout (hole 7 should be a par 4 from the long, by the way). Hole 15 is now a par 5 from long to long and a really fun hole to play.
The course is extremely well maintained by the Kilborne Krewe.
It is great fun to play no matter your throwing style or dexterity.
Cons: It is usually one of the most used courses, so it can be slow playing when the weather is nice.
There are a lot of random people that meander the fairways and are oblvious to the rest of the world.
Other Thoughts: Hole 1 is probably one of the worst holes in Charlotte to start on unless you have a big RHBH. Oh how I miss old 1 and old 2.

Middle of Pack for Charlotte Courses

5+    3/9/2013   3/31/2013
Review By: Mortis Canyon
Pros: Good signage that gives hole info and layout.
Course is easy to navigate.
Course has a good variety of holes that require an array of shots to score well.
Benches and trash cans at most if not all holes.
Multiple tee pads and baskets on most holes.
Course has other amenities, bathrooms, playgrounds, etc.
Course doesn't get in the way of others in the park.
Cons: Course can get very muddy when it rains.
The park itself can attract sketchy people. Always be on the lookout of who is around you and your group. I wouldn't recommend playing this course alone.
No tee signs or information for the Skillborne holes.
Other Thoughts: Even though Kilborne may lack some factors of some other Charlotte courses (Renny, Hornet's), it is still fun to play. If you are not from the area and have time, I would suggest playing at least once.

Super Fun

1    3/14/2013   3/15/2013
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: This course was an absolute blast to play! And thanks to a couple of local players - sorry, can't remember your names! - who provided me some insight into lines and distances!

Though tight in spots, the fairways were mostly open with only a few trees to navigate. And except for a few instances, getting back to the fairway and beyond after a bad kick was easy.

And the signage was SUPERB! Loved the hole layouts on the signs. I wish more folks would do that. Multiple baskets and tee pads add an extra incentive to stay and play multiple rounds
Cons: Can't really think of any. I just kept telling my new found friends how much I enjoyed the course.
Other Thoughts: One interesting fact about the course was the number of doglegs right off the tee pad. You had to shape a lot of shots from the get-go, but like I mentioned before, miss your line and you ain't all that bad.

Skillborne or Not, Very Interesting

1    12/31/2012   1/2/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Kilborne TPC is quite good, and has an 18 hole layout that can be played with numerous options, because most holes have two tee pads, as well as two baskets. Skillborne (long tee to long pin) layout I played required just about every throw I can think of, excluding almost any elevation change. Trees provide obstacles is some form on every hole, and several are densely wooded with very tight windows (especially on Skillborne). Both accuracy and distance are keys to success on this very technical course.
Cons: The course it's self is very good, in my opinion, but there are some cons. The equipment is all very functional, but the concrete tees were sometimes on the small side, the buckets on the baskets were on the shallow side, and signage left much to be desired. No tees had signs to illustrate shape or distance, but the baskets were all numbered at least. The flow of the course was not easy to follow, luckily we joined up with locals who knew where to go. Many baskets and or tees are often visible at the same time, and transitions between holes can be difficult to negotiate I would say. This course was the most crowded I visited in the city, in terms of other disc golfers. Several groups playing the short layout caught up with us and played through, while we traversed the Skillborne layout. Pace was slow. I found a bit of standing water on the first fairway, but after that the course was entirely dry.
Other Thoughts: Overall I liked Kilborne TPC a lot, and rate it excellent based mostly on versatility and difficulty. Not as nice as many of the other courses in the area, but still a good one. Thanks to Adam and Jim for hosting my last round of 2012. If you plan to try this one out, do yourself a favor and print the map. Somewhat reminds me of Elon Eager Beaver with less water and more distance.

Don't get killed

2-4    12/27/2012   12/27/2012
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 7/5/2013
Pros: -Nice park in Charlotte with a fun disc golf course. Course flows very well and has no long transitions.
-Benches and trashcans are on every hole. I don't remember any litter laying around so it's well maintained.
-There is a practice basket by the course kiosk, it's labeled "0" and the course is very close to the parking lot.
-I played the worlds layout and #15 is AWESOME. One of the coolest par 4's I have played. It plays uphill and your approach shot is nicely downhill on an island green with water in play. That was definitely my favorite on the course.
-#18 is a another great hole. Teeshot is in the woods and then becomes open after 165' feet. It's a great finish to Kilborne.
-Good bit of variety here, doglegs, uphill/downhill on a few holes, open, wooded, and an island green.
-Great teesigns on the course, very accurate and it's easy to find the basket by looking at them.
-LONG teepads. I had no foot faults today because they are about 12 feet long.
-Two pin positions or two teepads on most holes. Not on the ace runs though but one of them is very tough.
-Course kiosk is beside #1, which is right of the giant field and parking lot. IIf you didn't bring a map, which is still recommended.
-Out of bounds isn't too bad on any holes. I didn't lose any discs. There was no tall grass or anything. Nicely groomed.
-I had no problems finding the holes, there ARE next tee signs from the longer transitions. If you look closely, there is an arrow pointing you straight ahead to #5 after you finish #4. Go straight ahead.
Cons: -You see in the previous review that the bathrooms are not marked. No, no they are not. The men's is to the right from what I saw so keep that in mind.
-#3's green in the short needs to be a cleared out a bit and #4 to the rightside can result in a lost disc but that's the only hole you should be conserned in losing a disc.
-Very sketchy. Some suspicious looking people hang around here. I didn't see any homeless people follow me but don't be surprised. This is in the "real bad part of town". In reference to my title, I am saying this can be very scary. You won't get killed (I was joking) but homeless people may be hitting up for money. This is why I woundn't recommend this for families who have small children.
-The entrance is very hard to find. If we didn't bring a GPS, we would probably be lost. Address is 2600 Kilborne drive.
-#14's basket is a bit tilted, it also doesn't catch as well as the others. The baskets catch okay but are very old.
-After a significant rainfall, the course can be very, very muddy. Don't bring your newer shoes.
Other Thoughts: Overall, the layout can't be much better however, I didn't like #9 at all, only because it's almost impossible to not hit a tree, but it's a great layout. I don't like that it's in the bad part of town but this course has some memorable holes, particularly #15 which I described in the pros as AWESOME. It provides a challenge for any players because a lot of the holes are doglegs which make it unique and interesting. The fun holes or standout would be #5, it's an easy straight wooded hole, #7 is a sidearmer's ace run, #13 is a more open short hyzer shot, #15 is the toughest hole, goes uphill for the teeshot and the approach goes downhill into an island green with a tough tunnel shot. #18 is the finishing hole that can't be 2'd unless you put a bit of mustard on it and give it a nice turn.
Overall, the course is worth the play, even though it's the most sketchy in Charlotte, you have plenty of holes to look forward to.

From a beginners view

1    8/5/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: mlondon89
Pros: Truly a very nice very well laid out course. Some holes can help you build some confidence and others if you are like me " a newbie" make you realize you have a long way to go! Great course over all. I can't wait to go back!
Cons: Not to much. I played it right after the worlds were in town so the pins were moved to even deeper locations. A few holes had vague markings to get to the next hole. No biggie though.
Other Thoughts: Great course to get your legs wet on and keep coming to for years! Hit a birdie from over a hundred feet out on 18! First time I hit one from that distance. Smiled all the way home!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5