Cincinnati, OH
Mt. Airy Forest Share
Uploaded By: ImSchizoidMan Hole #13 (Taken 6/2009)
3 / 350ft.   3 / 410ft.   3 / 410ft.   3 / 470ft. Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
A must visit!

2-4    7/17/2016   7/18/2016
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: The Mt. Airy DGC is set in a great multi use park just outside downtown Cincinnati. Visit in the pro shop with a HUGE selection of discs, bags, accessories and other things to prepare for the round. The shop has great prices and the workers are great! Before you start there is a field with about 100 feet of grass to a practice basket, allowing you to practice upshots. Another basket is set up for putting as well with uphill, downhill and flat putts. Their is a driving net set up to warm your arm up your arm, which you will need! There are not many holes under 300 feet, requiring a driver for most holes. The course is very well designed and will require you to use every shot in your bag. The baskets are well kept and catch well. They are extremely visible painted red. The course is very well maintained, but has rough that can swallow discs! A great place to practuce everything that you need for a complete life of disc golf.
Cons: The biggest con for me is the fact that their is only one teepad per hole. This course will be very difficult for a beginner. As I said earlier, not too many holes under 300 feet. Their are alot of lefty friendly holes, which is good for a southpaw like me, but can get repetitive over time.
Other Thoughts: If I could give this course a 4.25 I would. I really enjoyed ny experience and look forward to coming back and playing again. The local club is awesome and I will most definitely reccomend this to anybody.

Great Place

1    11/20/2015   6/21/2016
Review By: Skeeter3
Pros: This course was great. It was well taken care of. Facilities on site were good. Awesome pro shop with nice and helpful staff! Good mix of shots. Holes were challenging but not too challenging for an recreational player. If we're ever in the area again, we will definitely be back and will recommend it to our friends traveling in the area.
Cons: I have no cons for this course!
Other Thoughts: Everything was great.

Stop in the Pro Shop....AWESOME Selection of discs!

First time player

1    5/25/2016   5/27/2016
Review By: Rlslavens2
Pros: It was our first time out playing and we were blown away by everything. We were greated by a nice man before we started and he was telling us a little bit about the course and the staff/volunteers that keep up the course. He even was nice enough to give us a few pointers before we started. The course was really well maintained and had great signs to let you know the hole layout. The course overall was groomed and had a good variety of hole layouts.
Cons: There was some poison ivy around the wedges and when you lost your frisbee in the woods you really had to look out for it.

Great park, good course.

1    6/21/2015   12/21/2015
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: 18 hole course located in a VERY nice park in Cincinnati, OH.

Great tee signs. Full color, large, and with every bit of information you could want. Really like that there was a pin indicator on each hole, and that they were actually being used.

Concrete tee pads, one per hole. Plenty long, wide, and grippy. No issues with these.

DGA baskets, in good repair and mounted well. Holes all had 2 or 3 basket placements on each, with relatively different lines for most. All caught just like you'd expect them to.

Lots of nice, rolling elevation. Many holes incorporated good uphill and downhill shots. Mix in the plethora of large, mature trees, and there were obstacles on every hole. Going off the fairways here usually results in an extra stroke, which makes for nice scoring separation.

Some more open holes, and some that were tighter and more wooded. Definitely a decent mix. Some good pin placements that made you think about running putts or laying up.

The Nati disc golf shop on site is a great touch. Super cool building, and all the gear you could want, including a nice selection of used discs.
Cons: We played the course in all long positions, and there was just too much of the same shot...left to right. Don't get me wrong, I actually love this shot, but I don't want to throw it on 75% of the holes on a course. I'd assume lefties love the longs. Looking at many of the additional pin placements, they just didn't seem to add much intrigue.

Navigation here gets a little weird in the middle here, around holes 6-8. You walk back over your path.

I wasn't a huge fan of all the shots playing really close to roads. As full as this place can get, I have to imagine that plenty of automobiles get plunked over the course of a season.

Other Thoughts: While this is definitely a nice course (in a super beautiful park), it just didn't have that "it" factor for me. I definitely can see how some people love it, though. Out of all the greater Cincy courses we played, it probably ranked 4th behind Lincoln Ridge, Osage, and Idlewild for me.

I'd definitely tell people to go play here and decide for themselves if they're in the area, but it wouldn't be my first choice. With that said, it's still a fun round of golf, and most people will have a great time here.

Very Fun Course

1    9/9/2015   9/9/2015
Review By: Jonny T
Pros: The Nati Pro Shop is fantastic. They have tons of discs and lots of great DG gear. The guys who run the shop are very helpful with lots of good info on the local DG scene. The had printed maps of the course, which was helpful for navigation, but was seldom needed. The course is well marked.

The condition of the course was impeccable. The grass and grooming was what I'd expect at a "traditional, ball-golf" course. Each hole looked very well designed with three pin placements for each hole, and a marking at each tee to show which pin was being played.

There were several tight shots and narrow fairways, that are mostly lined by dense forest. This was especially apparent on holes 1, 5, 10, 11, 15, and 16.

There was also a lot of elevation change, especially around the pins. I don't recall a single hole that featured a flat green, which led to lots of difficult up hill and down hill puts. Hole 8 was really the only hole that I'd say was somewhat simple, as it was fairly open and only about 240 ft downhill.

There are also lots of water stations with tap water available throughout the course.
Cons: I can't think of any cons. There were a few holes that were near some very dense woods, especially to the right of the 5th fairway. If you throw right of the fairway on the 5th hole, there's a good chance you'll never see your disc again.
Other Thoughts: This is a very fun and challenging course to play. The course was in excellent condition and it was easy to follow.

Feels like ball golf!

5+    11/1/2014   11/12/2014
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Excellently maintained course with a well stocked pro shop. Many different pin placements for all of the holes.

This course requires you to bring your best game. Missed putts will add up and there's not many short holes to deuce to catch back up.

Some of the most picturesque holes you will ever see (15 & 10)!
Cons: As previously mentioned in other reviews there is a long walk from hole 6's basket to hole 7's tee.

Mt. Airy Forest is not located in the best neighborhood either. Pack some heat. I've never had a problem, but I'm a bigger guy that drives a beat up old truck with nothing to steal.

Since the course was renumbered to start near the pro shop, starting on Hole 1 can be a rough way to go. I like to start on 14 (old 1). Seem to have my best rounds starting there.

I really get bummed out when Hole 10 and 15's baskets are in their other locations. These two holes are so awesome, I feel like they should never move. Throwing that rare perfect drive on hole 10 for the deuce keeps me coming back.

When everything is in the long positions, it'll wear you out!
Other Thoughts: Make sure to pay a visit to the Nati pro shop! I love the fact I can drop in and get a snickers in the middle of a round or a gatorade when I forget to stop at the gas station. Plus, they seem to have every disc known to man!

Mt.Airy my old home course

5+    7/22/2015   8/31/2014
Review By: Aestheticflight
This review was updated on 4/28/2016
Pros: Well designed course which is very challenging for all skill levels.

Most holes require power and control if hunting a low score. Many risk and reward holes which is the sort of golf I love.
If you attempt to make the long drive on many of these holes you had better retain control or a price will be paid.

On the other hand most holes are fair to the intermediate player as well with reasonable fairways if they don't get over ambitious and can retain control. Lots of opportunity to go astray and be punished for an errant throw.

Some world class holes here like #15, gorgeous challenging hole that just calls for you to crank a long throw, but don't go right side into the rough or you will be getting some extra strokes and might have to hunt for your disc and a good recovery shot.
#16 as well is very cool, but don't go off the fairway right, or left for that matter.
#1 is a great hole, uphill with the pin back in the woods protected.
I love the alt #4 (Old #7) what a great woods hole,
Then there is the green monster #5. Long curving to the right with very nasty rough to the whole right side. You don't want to go there believe me.
#13 is another good hole, big blind anhyser with some rough on the right side if you come in early.
Many,many great holes.....
If you choose to you can play conservatively , but if you decide to go for the holes and you are off, it will be a painful thing for you.

Great golf course. Nice elevation changes with good use of them. Multiple pin placements, a lot of holes have three. In the long positions Mt.Airy is a VERY challenging and interesting course indeed!
Cons: Gets busy now a days and can be slow because of that.
If you are a wild thrower with a big arm, you might have a very bad day here hunting for your discs. There certainly is rough enough to loose them.

This is the kind of course that will beat you down and wear you out if you are not on your game and take risks.

Way better to play here before late afternoon and the people show up. It can be busy then and often is.

Other Thoughts: The park is a Cincinnati treasure, it is old and large with lots of great woods and trails. It is the best course in Cincinnati and close to downtown.

There is a very well stocked Disc store by #1 and 18 called " The Nati", founded by one of the true greats of disc golf, Hall of famer - Fred Salaz (Of Idlewild,Ky renown ). A man I am proud to call my friend. He was a joy and a wealth of knowledge to play with and a man who has given much to the sport of DG and I thank him for his work for the sport.

I feel honored to have called this course my home course for many years, although it isn't necessarily the most fun course, it is a potent and good teacher and I love it and respect it. One of the Great courses of all Disc golf.

I once was speaking to Ken Climo in the 90's and he told me at the time it was one of his favorite courses. I am not sure if he still holds the record there or not. Something insane like a 47!
If you can shoot a 54 here you will feel very good about that I am sure.
Not many can do that very often.

In my opinion there are Three must plays in the Greater Cincinnati area: Idlewild, Northern Ky , Lincoln ridge, Northern KY (Old Banklick), and Mt. Airy forest Cincinnati,Oh.

There are many other good courses in the area.
Well worth a long Disc golf weekend road trip believe me.
It is a City park so bear that in mind with your behavior.

Airy in the Forest

1    7/2/2014   7/2/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 18 excellent holes over some beautiful rolling elevation with fairways that are well balanced and shaped and lined with hardwoods, some large pines, and roads. Great variety of distances with a few ace runs to long par 3s and a few 4s. The elevation changes are incorporated phenomenally. Fairways are very nicely mowed. Nice concrete tees a few holes had two and signage and Cincy Red DGA baskets. A few holes had alternate baskets in place. Very nice pro shop with bathroom and water fountains around the course. Disc golf only area of the park for the most part. The huge artwork basket behind the shop/hole 18 was pretty cool too. Benches.

Note: The baskets for Holes A and B were not in place when I played, guessing they went to the holes that had two baskets in place.
Cons: Nothing that would ever keep me playing here except for the crowds maybe. The course might be too much for rank beginners, but intermediate and above should fare well here. Park roads come into play on a few holes. The blind tee shot on 17 might be a little dangerous if the hole is not clear of players. Some spotty poison ivy in the rough and just off some walking paths and down the steps going to hole 16, but it's really not bad at all here.
Other Thoughts: There is some interesting history to the Mt. Airy Forest Park. Not only is it the largest park in Cincy, but it was the largest reforestation project by a US city at the time. The originally forested land was cleared for agricultural use in the 19th century, but years of poor grazing and agricultural practices led to severe erosion and poor soil composition. As quoted in a 1914 Cincinnati Times Star editorial, a farmer facetiously remarked that his farm "was a good one when he first took it up but that since he had cleared off all the trees it had slid down the creek and was to be found somewhere in the neighborhood of New Orleans." The city bought up the land in parts that is now Mt. Airy Forest because it was cheap and wanted to provide the largest urban forest for the city to enjoy. There are interesting historical structures in the park and although the forest appears natural they were designed by talented and creative people. Translated Mt. = mountainous or hilly, Airy = open or spacious, Forest = thick growth of trees and bushes that covers a large area which is exactly what the course plays through, open areas through the forest and hilly.

I must say I certainly enjoyed Mt. Airy Forest. Everyone I ran into from the pro shop to on the course was very pleasant. The disc golf course is fairly busy and I can understand why. Hole 1 was a great start, long uphill to a protected basket. Hole 2 has a tricky basket placement with the sloping elevation behind it. Hole 3 was a tight dogleg left. I played the first 3 holes solo and a local was hot on my tail. I waited on hole 4 and asked to join him since I didn't know the course and we would just be waiting around for other groups anyways. I asked him about some of the other courses in the area and he said he only plays Mt. Airy and hadn't play Idlewild or Lincoln Ridge or Osage. I was bamboozled by this info, you have been playing 8 years and have a top 10 course just a few miles away and never played it? The course started growing on me hole after hole. The last four holes then had me hooked. I had to go back and play those again! After that I could understand why a local would only play this course, it's pretty spectacular!

I have to give a shoutout to Pep Boys in Cincy, especially Jose. I got a flat tire as I pulled out the parking lot at Mt. Airy and called shop after shop that was closed on Thursday evening. I figured I was in Cincy and should try some Skyline Chili. I pull into the lot and notice the Pep Boys across the street and the lights were still on. I peeled out the lot and went across the street. It was 15 minutes to closing and they got me back up and running in about 20 minutes. Jose came back into the waiting room after driving my vehicle into the shop and asked if I was a disc golfer. Um yeah thats why my backseat was littered with discs. Turns out Jose is an avid dger and we talked the entire time about disc golf. So after that I went back across the street to Skyline and got some chili, I wasn't very impressed with it there and those are the smallest hot dogs and burritos I've ever seen. If anyone reading this comes to the DC area you got to check out Ben's Chili Bowl. At any rate I highly recommend Mt. Airy Forest to about anyone but rank beginners and this is a great destination course especially combined with Idlewild.

1    4/16/2014   5/19/2014
Review By: Bachmann_3
Pros: Well managed
Good variety
Nice baskets
Pro Shop
Cons: Not for the feint of arm, no chance for short throwers other than a few holes.
Major traffic, players on every hole during peak hours
You will be exhausted after this course
Other Thoughts: I rated this course lower than most, because of the heavy traffic and outrageous difficulty. Coming here without doubles, an amateur player will expect to shoot well over and experience a major level of frustration. I am normally not a player to get angry on the course, but this one is just relentless between the length and tree coverage. Rolling terrain and heavy wooded holes provide a very well made professional level course. I am an established player in my area, but this course KICKED MY ASS. WIll not be returning here without a partner.

Mt. Airy Forest

5+    2/28/2014   3/29/2014
Review By: Donthavefun3
Pros: Wide varity of shots here, with multiple pin placements, makes this an excellent course. You name it you'll find it here elevation changes, long holes, short holes, wooded holes, pro shop. This place is one of a kind.
Cons: This course could be a bit overwhelming for a beginner, but definitely worth playing if your willing to put your game to the test.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10