Cincinnati, OH
Mt. Airy Forest Share
Uploaded By: sisyphus Hole #18 (Taken 7/2014)
3 / 267ft.   3 / 370ft.   3 / 267ft.   3 / 480ft. Par / Distance:

A little too tight, but not bad

2-4    8/13/2013   8/14/2013
Review By: philio37
Pros: Well-labeled
Variety of terrain
Interesting pin location
Varying distances, elevations, and visibility
Cons: Too close to roads and parking lots
Plenty of trees to hit
Other Thoughts: Enjoyable course, just have to be careful with trees, people, and cars.

Fun course!

5+    6/3/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: telusive
Pros: Plays around a very nice park in MT Airy forest
Elevation changes, fun hole variation
Usually very well taken care of
Concrete tees, excellent baskets. Some holes have multiple placements
Good for all throwing styles
Cons: Pretty hard to navigate the course in some places
Can sometimes be rough in some areas, could use a little bushwacking.
I liked the course more prior to the redesign it got several years ago. There use to be more wood holes, and the ones they removed were very interesting.
Other Thoughts: Pro shop on the course is in a really cool building, tons of discs.

Love the Nati!

2-4    9/17/2011   9/21/2011
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: You can feel the love and respect for the sport here
The course Pro Shop is excellent
The warm up area is the best I've ever seen
They really really take care of this place
Clean and Maintained
Not to tight
Long and Fairly open
Cons: Kinda repetitious
Outside of 2 wooded holes and the last 3 it didn't really use the land as good as they could have
Wouldn't recommend it for a beginner
Spend a lot of time playing next to a road
Other Thoughts: From the minute you pull in here you can tell that this place takes their Disc Golf seriously. The Pro Shop is very nice and the people working there are helpful and friendly. They warm up area is excellent, best I've ever seen. It's the first place I've ever been to that has a net to warm up your drives on. It also has 2 practice baskets.

You will be hard pressed to find a scrap of garbage, an un-mowed fairway, or overgrown brush. They keep this place gorgeous.

The course itself is large, outside of hole 8 you will will not have many ace opportunitys. If your just learning I may suggest somewhere else. Most holes are long with generous lines, they have trees in the fairway or they follow a tree line but they are not wooded holes.

It's just my personal preference but I will usually fall in love with a course if it incorporates the landscape and the natural surrounds creatively into the course (for example,Lincoln Ridge) and outside 2 holes that break off into the woods and especially the last 3 holes, which I thought were great. I didn't feel that this place really capitalized on the land. (but to be fair, I'm not really all that familiar with the area so the may have done the best they could do with what they had)

But other than that it was a great course. I played this course a long time ago when I was just learning and had not been back for years. I like it a lot better now that I've had some time to sharpen my skills and have played enough courses to really appreciate the difference between an average course and a great one. I wouldn't recommend this one for beginners but if your an experienced player and you live nearby it should be a staple. If your a road tripper and your in Cincinnati you'd be crazy to pass this one up. It's one of the best in an area that is just overflowing with great courses!

Grip it and Rip it

1    10/26/2010   11/2/2010
Review By: tistoude
Pros: This course is located in a very nice urban park that features lots of grassy fairways and tons of elevation changes. For the most part this course plays through the open parts of the park along the edges of the woods with only a couple of exceptions. This course is pretty open and really favors players with power so get out your big guns and loosen up your arm ahead of time. There are quite a few holes that while long have OB and dense woods along the fairway so your long drives need to be at least loosely controlled. Most of the holes feature some mature hardwood trees that require some shot shaping but leave many different line choices available. There is a pretty good mix of hole design at Mt. Airy. It has left turning, right turning, straight, uphill (lots) and downhill holes. There are also a few really good pin positions on the course that feature drop-offs or are protected by trees. The baskets and tees appeared to be in decent condition and the tee signs were nice. Also at the Disc golf parking lot there is an extremely nice Pro Shop called The Nati. The building itself is super cool and they offer a great selection of discs and gear. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We were told that in nicer weather there is a driving net near hole 1's tee that can be used to warm up. The course was very clean and free of debris despite there having been a pretty bad storm earlier in the day. Some notable parts of the course I really liked were the tee shot on number 2 (even though it goes over a road) that had trees right in front of the tee but has gaps for both backhand and forehand, hole number 11's very fast green tucked in the woods, and every thing about hole number 15. A 560ft down hill right turning hole that slopes away on the right of the hole and behind the pin.
Cons: Mt. Airy is just too open for my tastes. I prefer courses that reward accuracy and distance evenly and have a mix of open and wooded holes. Quite a few holes play near the roads or the parking lot, with hole number 2 actually going over the road. Hole 18 can put the pro shop itself into play if your drive hyzers out early. Some of the tees were still in ok shape but were cracked or needed to be leveled . It would also be nice to see some alternate tees put in. As it stands now beginners would have a hard time on this long course. With all of the great land around this course it could easily become a premier course. I did hear from the guys in The Nati that there were a few woods holes in the past that were moved and that there are some temporary holes that are setup occasionally for tournaments that are pretty good. This course as it is felt very much like just a longer park style course and not quite the championship caliber course that I had heard it to be. One final con that I am not sure should be attributed to the course itself is the amount of men "cruising" the parking lot near hole number three. It was super creepy and we were told by locals that this was fairly common and even worse elsewhere in the park.
Other Thoughts: Mt. Airy was a fun play and a solid course with an awesome pro shop. I like playing bomber courses occasionally and I got to air out some new plastic without fear of losing it. I liked the course but if I make the trip out to the Cinncy area again I will probably head to Banklick and Idlewild first.

best 3rd best course around

1    7/4/2010   7/4/2010
Review By: Journeyman
Pros: Pro shop on site, concrete pads, fairly well marked. Good use of elevation on many holes with opportunities to really let it rip, with good risk reward.

Good mix of shots needed. A few pin placements are nasty, requiring good approach shots.
Cons: Signs need to be updated.

Lots of traffic to be played around.

The course has been "cleaned" of underbrush, which does make it easier to find discs, but also made the course a little too easy now.
Other Thoughts: I liked the course better with the old layout, too bad they changed it. New #1 is a nice hole though, glad they moved it back into the woods.

This used to be one of my favorite courses, then I played the Dynamic Duo of Idlewild and Banklick. Now I would rank this third in the area and farther down my list of favorites. But, do not let that keep you from playing Mt Airy. It is a very fine disc golf course in a pretty place. Well laid out with a good mix of holes, a nice hilly walk and you can buy discs on-site!

Is more Airy than Forest

1    5/3/2010   5/18/2010
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: This course is situated in a large urban park with grassy fairways that meander within the manicured areas of the park and skirt the forest briefly a few times without ever completely providing woods golf. The emphasis is on big arm power as most holes are more open than technical and length is rewarded moreso than precision. Those players who can throw 350+ will often be looking at birdies while the rest will be scrambling to make long approaches and deep putts to keep pace. Get your arm loose and break out the long distance drivers here. You still have to hit your lines and placement drives are required on a few of the longer holes but it is not nearly as punitive as Lincoln Ridge can be or Idlewild always is for missing your lines. Very well maintained park with elevation changes on the back 9. Your often weaving your drivers amongst sporadic hardwoods rather than dense woods here. Elevation is either downhill just enough to help your driver fulfill its flight path and not sharp enough uphill to cramp your distance too adversely. I particularly enjoyed #15, a multi shot hole dogleg R downhill 560 ft to a basket sitting atop a hill that looks like it was made by nature to be a DG green. I'm sure during world's top pros got to that green in one shot due to the attainability afforded by the 50 feet of elevation drop.Also fun was #16 a blind shot but employing a perfect wooded fairway that begs you to trust your strongest hyzer across a sloping bank and let the disc hone in on the wooded green 400 feet away. Many holes reward a player who can perform a long line such as long anhyzers on #5 & #13. So it's a big arm course but requires more loosely controlled drives over reckless bombing. Compliments the tighter Cinnci courses well with its big park like and open feel.
Cons: Too open for my tastes and not very well marked. Most of the front 9 plays too close to the access road with #2 actually throwing over it and #3 basically playing mando around a busy lot. #5 seemed such a waste as your trying to endlessly make that long right turn and the entire time your close to the road and seeing this amazing woods to your right with steep elevation drops and mature trees (Valley to valley hole anyone) instead your skirting the road and trees and forced to ignore what could have been some killer wooded holes to your right. After hole 6 you do have to backtrack to find hole 7. A few blind holes where you might not know where to throw to or where your disc landed. With all those woods nearby I wish there was some more use of the elevation and trees that seemed to be beckoning my attention as I plugged away in the open and at times mundane fields.
Other Thoughts: The best part of this course is the Nati DG store that serves as clubhouse and perhaps the center of the Cinncinatti DG universe. I never saw such a well equipped store and I was able to pawn off my old plastic in return for a brand new 80 dollar bag! If the store is open don't miss this one.

Above average, but needs TLC

1    8/1/2009   4/23/2010
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: Loved the length. Aesthetically the park was pleasing and the grass was nicely kept.

The pro shop was very nice and carried a wide assortment of plastic. I picked up some Lat64 stuff that I've only seen online otherwise.
Cons: This is no longer a new course and it's showing it's age in places. Basket/teepad/sign improvements would probably raise my score to 4.0.

I'm not a huge fan of blind shots and this course has several. Maybe it's a matter of personal preference, but we spent quite a while looking for discs.

The layout doesn't flow well, and considering the renumbering of the holes, maps should definately be provided at the first tee.
Other Thoughts: With a little TLC I'd give this course a 4. That's a very solid course. If I lived in Cincy, I'd likely play this course quite a bit. Unfortunately, I don't live in Cincy, and whenever I make it up that way, Idlewild and Banklick rank higher on my priority list than Mt Airy does.

Mt. Airy

1    3/10/2010   3/10/2010
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: Very long and challenging course! It's set in a national forest and the area is basically exclusively used for disc golf. The forest is used very nicely and I'm sure is veeeeery pretty when fall and spring come around.
Some of the elevation changes are a lot of fun to shoot from. It requires more distance throws than any other course I've ever played! Definitely a course for bigger arms and experienced players.
Cons: I can't even begin to explain how muddy it was. The snow must have just melted or something because I was slipping and sliding all over the place.
Some of the holes are just a tad long for my taste, but other people may really like the challenge.
I think I normally would have given this course a 4, but the mud was really just unbearable and hurt the fun factor pretty significantly.
Other Thoughts: The Nati disc golf clubhouse is awesome! Definitely drop in and check out the discs and talk to the owners, they are really cool guys! The lost discs are really cheap as well if you need something.

1    10/21/2009   10/22/2009
Review By: Chainchaser
Pros: First thing is go to the lodge to find hole one. This was a bit of a problem. It took me a a while to find it.
This course was rather difficult for a newbie like me but I enjoyed all the same. It starts off with a nice par 5 or at least that is what hand written sign had said that went from a open field to the woods. Each hole on this course will challenge every shot you have. From dogleg left's and right's to overhands. Bring it all because you will need it or at least I did. The only thing i don't remember seeing where true tunnel shots. With the surrounding woods you figure they could have had a few. Hole 3 and the end of hole one was probably the closest thing to a tunnel shot I remember. I am trying to think of a stand out hole for me but really I don't remember any that caught my attention. Don't get me wrong though all the hole had chalenges to them and made for an exciting round of disc golf.
This course also has a pro shop but was not open when I was there. It also has a disc screen to practice drive. I am not sure if that is free or for instructional basis by the pro shop.
Cons: The biggest con I think is the proximity to the roads of a lot of holes. Being a lifelong resident of Cincinnati and actually hanging at this park when I was a younger man it seems they could have used the surrounding woods to a little more of their advantage than they did. I noticed some old tee pads in the woods and thought I had missed a hole but they were just that, old tee pads.
To get around on this course can be difficult for the first time user. Lack of direction signs and tee signs(select holes from vandalism) takes this course from a great one to a very good course for me. If you are going to this course for the first time go to www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com and print off a map it will save you some time and confusion.
Other Thoughts: This course could be a great course with a just a few minor aesthetic things done to it. If your in the cincy area though make sure to put it on the list to play. It definitely compliments Lincoln ridge and idlewild. Even with all it's faults though this course is definitely a must play

No-Nonsense Cincinnati Highlight

1    7/31/2009   8/7/2009
Review By: TheTennesseeFireman
Pros: Pro Shop- I got lost for a bit on the way in, assuming that the "lodge" was some random park building. I was sorely mistaken. Helpful staff and many shelves of discs, bags, etc are a sight to see for one who is used to the homegrown nature of disc golf.

Challenge- Mt. Airy seems to work well as a "barometer" course; you can always improve your score here. The distance can make the course very difficult at times, especially on the holes when the elevation change is minimal. Holes 1, 5, 15, and 17 in particular will test you. Recovery shots are particularly tricky as the deep woods will not let you out without a fight.

Incline- The elevation changes make this course what it is. Sweeping doglegs and downhill shots erase the otherwise average feeling you would get from many of these holes. You will have a better chance to air it here out than anywhere other course in the region.
Cons: Creativity- The major flaw with the course. While the course provides a variety of holes. Mt. Airy doesn't deliver when it comes to uniqueness. You can easily get away with throwing purely straight shots on many of the holes. The course is no-nonsense to a fault, with no significant hazards or "signature" elements.

Natural Beauty (Only slightly con)- While this is no fault of the courses, the Cincinnati woodland scenery is as a rule only moderately interesting. Woodland Mound's brevity works well with the format; at Mt. Airy, it occasionally feels dragged out. The closeness of the course to the park roads also brings it down slightly.
Other Thoughts: This course rewards talent in spades, and as close as it is to the city it should be appreciated as a great piece of parkland. This course has probably been made as good as it can be; however, it still falls short of true greatness.