Cincinnati, OH
Mt. Airy Forest Share
Uploaded By: ImSchizoidMan Hole #17 (Taken 6/2009)
4 / 510ft.   4 / 535ft.   4 / 535ft.   4 / 630ft. Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4
A Cincy Gem

1    5/26/2013   5/30/2013
Review By: el_duder
Pros: +Teepads and Baskets: Pads are concrete, good size, generally good condition. Baskets are DGA Mach III and in good condition.
+Layout: The course has multiple pin placements to provide a good amount of re-playability.
+Tee Signs: All were generally in good condition, provide necessary info, also have pin indicators that are a great help on blind holes.
+Challenge: This course requires a pretty good variety of shots and has a good bit of length to it depending on the pin locations.
+The Nati. I'll get into this more in the "Other Thoughts" section.
+Other: Very nicely maintained, clean, the park offers a bunch of picnic areas and trails and playground equipment, restrooms and water also available. Also has two additional holes available during the winter.
Cons: -Hazards: Several holes play close to roads or parking areas, one hole has you throwing over a road. These make me a bit nervous but probably don't bother more experienced players too much. It seems like the park can be very busy at times and that means there may be some unexpected spectators oblivious to flying discs.
-Variety: Generally the variety is pretty good but there were a handful of similar straight open throws. Not a major problem, but noticeable.
-Navigation could be a little bit of a problem so take a map.
Other Thoughts: Mt. Airy is probably the best top notch course in Cincy for the widest range of skill levels. The course plays fairly quick, but does put up a pretty good challenge. I believe most of the pins were in B and C positions when I played. You will certainly use a variety of shots and may find yourself in a bit of trouble if you don't hit the fairway on many of the holes. However, other holes can be very forgiving too. It's very well balanced course and offers a fun round of golf.

One of the best aspects of this course is the Nati. This place is awesome for just hanging out and exudes a traditional clubhouse vibe. They stock a great selection of plastic and snacks for pre or post round munchies. In addition to the pro shop, you can warm up your arm at the driving nets or at one of the two warmup baskets. If you want to make a day of it, pack a lunch, eat at the picnic tables and challenge one of the locals to a game of "porch-shoes."

Hopefully the concern over this park getting closed passes and golfers can enjoy this course for many years to come. I'm very glad I had the opportunity to play at this classic course.

Wow, what a great course.

1    4/28/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: Jowsepi
Pros: I have not been playing that long (about a month or so). I have played a few of the smaller courses and decided to play a longer one. Let's face it, Winton Woods is tiny compared to this place. I thought I was pretty good until I came here. I only managed to par a few of the holes while a couple of the others really kicked my butt. It didn't help that I came on a day when all of the tee's were in their longest position. I have a long way to go in my game.
Cons: Being my first time here, I had trouble finding my way from tee to bucket. (Maybe it was because the tee's were all the way back.
Other Thoughts: The pro shop was excellent and loaded with discs and accessories. The guy working was full of knowledge and actually talked me out of buying a couple of discs because he knew I wouldn't be able to throw them. Instead he personally took me outside to the practice driving net and gave me a lesson real quick. I bought another disc that he recommended. Also they have maps in the pro shop to help you out.

Salty milkshakes squishing between my toes

1    11/25/2011   10/20/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal Rank: 108

A great selection of holes at Mt Airy offers challenges involving a variety of elevation, wooded and open, lengths from ace runs to par 4s. All in a beautiful escape from the city, one of the more secluded feeling city park courses that I've played.

The Nati Pro shop is a big bonus with a huge selection of discs and equipment, knowledgeable staff, practice area outside with the only driving net I've ever come across.

Of the Cincy area big 3, this is my second favorite in that it has a bit more overall variety than Lincoln Ridge, and is a level below the awesomeness that is Idlewild. The area is a great weekend disc golf destination with Mt Airy being one of the shining gems.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.

My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene. If I was involved in a tournament or league or met up with some locals and played the course multiple times I appreciate different aspects of a course.

Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.

Mt. Fun

1    7/27/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: #19325
Pros: Mt. Airy is located in a huge park. There is a nice building with a pro shop near the tee of #1. The land has rolling hills, open areas, and wooded areas. I'ts a really good mix of land and holes. There is a restroom and water located right in the middle of the park and accessible from several holes during the round. The locals do a great job taking care of this course.

Near tee #1 there is a great practice area. There are 2 practice baskets. One has astroturf lining it so there is no mud to contend with. There is also a net to throw into. I've never been to a course with a better practice area.

Each hole had 1 concrete tee pad. All were flat and long.

Each hole had a very desriptive tee signs showing all 3 pin placements.

Mach 3 baskets were in great shape. Looks like they just replaced them.

With the use of a map I had no problem navigating this course.

This course was challenging and fun. I could see newer players have a good time as well. There was rough but we did not have a hard time locating discs.

Roads come into play on quite a few holes adding challenge.

Hole #15 was a super fun hole crushing it down the hill.
Cons: There was quite a bit of traffic on the park roads the day I played. Our group almost blasted a car on accident. Not fun.

The course has very fun "tunnel" type shots.

The day I played it seemed like there were many holes in the 300 to 330 foot range.
Other Thoughts: This is a very fun course and well worth the stop. I had played Idlewild and wanted to try something new. I was not let down by this course.

Obstacles and confusion

2-4    1/21/2012   3/9/2012
Review By: morgantobin
Pros: This course is a great place to practice moving around obstacles and has a wide array of hole types to keep things interesting.
Cons: You will have to go back toward the 3rd/4th holes to find the 7th hole, because it is not in an obvious spot.
Other Thoughts: The course is missing many signs and the tees are in need of repair.

Mt. Airy Forest

1    2/19/2012   3/5/2012
Pros: 1) There are two practice baskets by the first tee as well as a net and two 60' strips of concrete for you to practice your drives. I didn't bother throwing on them because I had just enough time to play this course before we headed back to WI.

2) There is a pro shop located on site which I have rarely seen in disc golf. It is in an old historic building that has been in the park for a long time which makes it an even cooler experience, I just wish I could have gone in to see what the store had, but no one was around when I was there.

3) Awesome and attractive red powder coated Mach baskets. That is a really nice color and will probably be helpful in finding the basket on occasion. They were all mounted in valve boxes . . . something I would recommend to all courses with multiple basket locations, because it helps protect the basket sleeves from damage and it also makes it much harder for someone to try and break or pick the lock that keeps the basket in place.

4) A bathroom and water are available in the middle of the course over near Holes 2 and 15.

5) Benches and garbage cans are available in many spots on the course.

6) The concrete tees are nicely sized and nice and grippy. I played on a chilly morning and didn't have to worry about slipping on frosty or icy tees.

7) Mulch was used in the key spots where mud would be visible. The only spot I felt could have used more mulch would be in the woods on #1, there seemed to be some bare spots in the wooded portion . . . but the rest of the course was in really good shape.

8) Nice tee-signs with Par, Hole # Distance, OB marked, hole sponsors and a decent hole map.

9) This course is set on the typical Kentucky landscape (even though it's just across the border into Ohio). There are rolling hills all through this entire park and the course uses those hills as one of the main features of design. Not a single hole on this course is flat and the rolling fairways even have some side slopes that make them even harder to land your disc on.

10) They used gravel in a few spots where mud must be consistently present. Stone won't decompose like mulch which would always need to be refreshed.

11) There are a lot of different
throws out here but many holes have options too. You will want to work your disc both directions for sure and also know how to take advantage of elevation change and how it affects the disc flight because there are some nice elevation changes here, both up and down. While I do prefer wooded courses, I do like to air it out when elevation change is involved. It is fun to try that perfect shot to throw the disc an extra hundred or more feet because of the drop.
12) The scenery here is amazingly beautiful. Idlewild was cool because of the disc golf pictures you can take. . . Mt. Airy Forest is cool because of the natural beauty and the scenic photos you could take, not necessarily the beauty of the disc golf (and this isn't a knock on the course).

13) There is plenty of challenge out here, some from OB some from the elevation changes, some from the perimeter woods.

Cons: 1) The single biggest thing I disliked about this course had nothing to do with the course itself (It's called Mt. Airy Forest so I would assume the forest gets used) . . . it had to do with all of the awesome woodlands on the perimeter of the holes. I was shocked they decided to not use any of the woods other than to just to form an edge of the fairway with it. Perhaps they were not allowed to cut trees or perhaps they wanted to provide a different kind of disc golf experience than Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge by offering up the park-like setting instead. I much prefer wooded holes to par0like holes even if there are key trees to avoid. I just love throwing technical shots over distance shots.

2) The second biggest issue I had was the walk between Hole #6 and 7. There were no directionals and there was no way to know if the next hole was off in the woods on the left across the road or if I was supposed to continue up that side of the road and hug the woodline some more. I wandered around a bit looking for the next red basket and I didn't see anything. You have to backtrack halfway down #5 to get there which would create a safety issue and a backlog during a tourney.

3) This is a perfect course for advanced players and intermediate players wanting to stretch their arms a little bit. For me I am a mediocre Intermediate player who doesn't throw very far but has an excellent upshot game . . . so I have a lot of dropin 3's. Those get boring and old. It would be more fun if I could park more holes or throw an excellent shot and make a great putt for birdie, but the holes are like 30-50' out of my range to do that.

4) There were a few signs missing unfortunately.
Other Thoughts: I suppose it wasn't a good idea to play here after playing Idlewild. I really should have saved the best for last because I think Mt. Airy disappointed me because I had just played the #2 course in the country. With that said Mt. Airy is a solid course with a lot of nice features, it just maybe felt like it wasn't quite as nice because of how impressed I was at Idlewild even though I played it the day after. I recognize that this is a well designed course that is fairly diverse. It uses elevation and the wood-line to create a fairway edge.

Wow Factor for the Big Guns

1    12/26/2011   12/27/2011
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 8/2/2012
Pros: + One set of concrete tees and three pin placements (long, longer, and longest).

+ Absolutely gorgeous course, with sweeping hills, valleys, woods etc.

+ First rate full service Disc Golf store (The Nati) on site!

+ Brand new baskets.

+ Very friendly and knowlegable locals.

+ Plenty of parking, restrooms, picnic tables, pavilions, and a playground.

+ Benches and trash buckets at almost every hole.

+ Course is impeccably maintained. Mowed grass fairways, large concrete tees in great condition, and I didn't even see a cigarette butt on the ground anywhere. They have alot of pride in this course, and it shows!

Cons: - Needs some better tee signs. A minor concern and I believe they are going to update them soon.

- Course navigation flows generally pretty good, but as already stated by a previous reviewer there was a long walk between two of the holes. I would also recomend getting a map, or playing with a local.

- One set of tee pads. On a long course like this, I would like to see a short set of tees, to make the course more accesible.

- I would have liked to have seen more holes in the woods. Most of the holes play in between the woods and the road, so there is plenty of ob. The locals said the city doesn't really want people in the woods, but hopefully this changes in the future.(There is some evidence of this already with the two alternate holes in the woods).
Other Thoughts: Overall, a great course in an area known for its awesome courses.

This course is LONG. I would not recommend it for beginers, but anyone of at least an intermediate level of skill will have a blast here.

The locals said that another 18 hole course is in the works for the park.

Friendly and dedicated locals, and nice courses with something for everyone, make the greater Cincinnati area a "destination" city for disc golf. I can't wait to come back!

Course Pro Update

5+    11/7/2011   11/18/2011
Review By: AdamJ
Pros: Upgrades for 2011: 20 brand new powder coated Red Mach 3 baskets from DGA, purchased by Cincinnati Parks and installed by volunteers. Addition of up to 3 Pin locations per hole for added challenges and erosion control. New benches and bridges built by local boy scouts. Planting of numerous trees and continued removal of Honey suckle throughout the Park.
Cons: As I read through these reviews I notice many do not understand that we are still working on these renovations and most of the complaints will be taken care of when we accomplish our final goals. Hence the new signage and last few alternate sleeves will be finished by next spring. All I ask is please be patient while we continue to renovate this course to make it the best it can be.

Maps can be found at the Nati Pro shop for current layouts and info.
Other Thoughts: We will be pulling out Holes A and B which play between holes 3 and 4 for the winter months. These two holes where removed due to the Parks dept. had concerns of the erosion back in 2006. We are always looking for hole sponsors to help cover costs of these renovations, if interested please contact me anytime for further details.

Great Wooded/Technical Course

1    10/1/2011   10/1/2011
Review By: amryan11
Pros: -forces use of many different types of shots and challenges you technically
-signs show layout of holes, distance, and par
-pro shop at course is awesome and has almost any disc you'd ever want
-beautiful course in 1500 acre forest
-bathrooms onsite
-some narrow and challenging fairways without extreme overgrowth in the woods to lose discs
-excellent practice/warmup area
-logical flow between holes for the most part
-garbage can and bench at almost every hole
Cons: -some holes are missing their signs
-sometimes a little muddy in the woods
Other Thoughts: This is an excellent course in a great natural setting. It's not often you have a pro shop on site and I loved that, it has an amount of variety you can usually only find on the internet. The course is technical and challenging but a lot of fun. If you're in Cincinnati this is definitely one you have to hit.

clean park and nice DG challenge

2-4    8/5/2011   8/24/2011
Review By: discNDav
This review was updated on 8/4/2013
Pros: "The Nati" pro shop on site...what a wonderful selection of discs. It was air-conditioned in 2011 unlike my previous stops there.

The practice area btw the pro shop and tee #1, they have a net to practice your drives plus a basket for putting.

The DG directional sign to other world class courses, you got to see it!

Very clean urban park, Cincy takes care of their parks unlike most big cities.

The course provides a great DG challenge starting with a par 4 on #1. Great elevation changes throughout the course.

Cement tees (although some are cracked and slightly uneven in spots since they are not new). The new tee signs indicate which basket position is currently being used, A, B or C.

Newer large benches on most holes.

Course plays around large mature trees, the fairways are quite fair. Nothing too tight.

Scenic and well maintained park with cut grass.
Cons: The long walk btw a few holes, 3 to 4 and even longer walk backtracking to 7 from 6 while passing most of 5.

More anhyzer than hyzer shots for this RHBH player.

Half the holes are btw 300-400, this Adv Master simply can't birdie most of these even with a great drive. I'd rather have slightly longer par 4's.

Other Thoughts: Print a map ahead of time, this will save you considerable time your first time through.

Alternate basket positions are being planned to provide more variety and help with erosion control.

One of the "big 3" in the Cincy area along with Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge (both in nearby KY).

Probably a 4.25 star course but I'm a very tough reviewer of courses and can't choose 4.25.

< Prev 1 2 3 4