Cincinnati, OH
Mt. Airy Forest Share
Uploaded By: ImSchizoidMan Hole #15 (Taken 6/2009)
3 / 460ft.   4 / 560ft.   4 / 560ft.   4 / 580ft. Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Feels like ball golf!

5+    11/1/2014   11/12/2014
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Excellently maintained course with a well stocked pro shop. Many different pin placements for all of the holes.

This course requires you to bring your best game. Missed putts will add up and there's not many short holes to deuce to catch back up.

Some of the most picturesque holes you will ever see (15 & 10)!
Cons: As previously mentioned in other reviews there is a long walk from hole 6's basket to hole 7's tee.

Mt. Airy Forest is not located in the best neighborhood either. Pack some heat. I've never had a problem, but I'm a bigger guy that drives a beat up old truck with nothing to steal.

Since the course was renumbered to start near the pro shop, starting on Hole 1 can be a rough way to go. I like to start on 14 (old 1). Seem to have my best rounds starting there.

I really get bummed out when Hole 10 and 15's baskets are in their other locations. These two holes are so awesome, I feel like they should never move. Throwing that rare perfect drive on hole 10 for the deuce keeps me coming back.

When everything is in the long positions, it'll wear you out!
Other Thoughts: Make sure to pay a visit to the Nati pro shop! I love the fact I can drop in and get a snickers in the middle of a round or a gatorade when I forget to stop at the gas station. Plus, they seem to have every disc known to man!

Mt.Airy my old home course

5+    8/9/2014   8/31/2014
Review By: Aestheticflight
This review was updated on 10/8/2014
Pros: Well designed course which is very challenging to all skill levels.

Many holes require power and control. It forces a player to focus and give their all or pay the price.
Several risk and reward holes which is the sort of golf I love.
If you attempt to make the long drive on many of the these holes you had better retain control or your disc might be laying in a very bad place that may take you a while to find... if you do.

On the other hand most holes are fair to the intermediate player as well with reasonable fairways if they don't get over ambitious and get in over their heads. Lots of opportunity to go astray if you over extend.

Some world class holes here like #15, gorgeous challenging hole that just calls for you to crank a long throw, but don't go right side into the rough or you will be getting some extra strokes and might have to hunt awhile.

#16 as well is very cool, but don't go off the fairway right, or left for that matter.
#1 is a great hole, uphill with the pin back in the woods protected.
I love the alt #4 (Old #7) what a great woods hole,
Then there is the green monster #5. Long curving to the right with very nasty rough to the whole right side. You don't want to go there believe me.
#13 is another good hole, big blind anhyser with some rough on the right side if you come in early.

If you choose to you can play conservatively and not have a brutal day, but if you choose to go for the holes and you are off, it will be a painful thing for you.

Great golf course. Nice elevation changes with good use of them.
Cons: Gets busy now a days and can be slow because of that.
If you are a wild thrower with a big arm, you might have a very bad day here hunting for your discs.

This is the kind of course that will beat you down and wear you out if you are not on your game and showing up with reasonable skills.

It can have a lot of players on the course at times and because it is so brutal it can mean a lot of delays while people look for errant discs and just moving slowly because they are tired and beat.

Way better to play here before late afternoon and the crowd shows up. It can be busy.

Other Thoughts: The park is a Cincinnati treasure, it is old and large with lots of great woods and trails.

There is a very well stocked Disc store by #1 and 18 called " The Nati", founded by one of the true greats of disc golf, Hall of famer - Fred Salaz (Of Idlewild,Ky renown ). A man I am proud to call my friend. He was a joy and a wealth of knowledge to play with and a man who has given much to the sport of DG and I thank him for his work for the sport.

I feel honored to have called this course my home course for many years, although it isn't necessarily the most fun course, it is a potent and good teacher and I love it and respect it. One of the Great courses of all Disc golf.

I once was speaking to Ken Climo in the 90's and he told me at the time it was one of his favorite courses. I am not sure if he still holds the record there or not. Something insane like a 47!
If you can shoot a 54 here you will feel very good about that I am sure.
Not many can do that very often.

In my opinion there are Three must plays in the Greater Cincinnati area: Idlewild, Northern Ky , Lincoln ridge, Northern KY (Old Banklick), and Mt. Airy forest Cincinnati,Oh.

There are many other good courses in the area.
Well worth a long Disc golf weekend road trip believe me.
It is a City park so bear that in mind with your behavior.

Airy in the Forest

1    7/2/2014   7/2/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 18 excellent holes over some beautiful rolling elevation with fairways that are well balanced and shaped and lined with hardwoods, some large pines, and roads. Great variety of distances with a few ace runs to long par 3s and a few 4s. The elevation changes are incorporated phenomenally. Fairways are very nicely mowed. Nice concrete tees a few holes had two and signage and Cincy Red DGA baskets. A few holes had alternate baskets in place. Very nice pro shop with bathroom and water fountains around the course. Disc golf only area of the park for the most part. The huge artwork basket behind the shop/hole 18 was pretty cool too. Benches.

Note: The baskets for Holes A and B were not in place when I played, guessing they went to the holes that had two baskets in place.
Cons: Nothing that would ever keep me playing here except for the crowds maybe. The course might be too much for rank beginners, but intermediate and above should fare well here. Park roads come into play on a few holes. The blind tee shot on 17 might be a little dangerous if the hole is not clear of players. Some spotty poison ivy in the rough and just off some walking paths and down the steps going to hole 16, but it's really not bad at all here.
Other Thoughts: There is some interesting history to the Mt. Airy Forest Park. Not only is it the largest park in Cincy, but it was the largest reforestation project by a US city at the time. The originally forested land was cleared for agricultural use in the 19th century, but years of poor grazing and agricultural practices led to severe erosion and poor soil composition. As quoted in a 1914 Cincinnati Times Star editorial, a farmer facetiously remarked that his farm "was a good one when he first took it up but that since he had cleared off all the trees it had slid down the creek and was to be found somewhere in the neighborhood of New Orleans." The city bought up the land in parts that is now Mt. Airy Forest because it was cheap and wanted to provide the largest urban forest for the city to enjoy. There are interesting historical structures in the park and although the forest appears natural they were designed by talented and creative people. Translated Mt. = mountainous or hilly, Airy = open or spacious, Forest = thick growth of trees and bushes that covers a large area which is exactly what the course plays through, open areas through the forest and hilly.

I must say I certainly enjoyed Mt. Airy Forest. Everyone I ran into from the pro shop to on the course was very pleasant. The disc golf course is fairly busy and I can understand why. Hole 1 was a great start, long uphill to a protected basket. Hole 2 has a tricky basket placement with the sloping elevation behind it. Hole 3 was a tight dogleg left. I played the first 3 holes solo and a local was hot on my tail. I waited on hole 4 and asked to join him since I didn't know the course and we would just be waiting around for other groups anyways. I asked him about some of the other courses in the area and he said he only plays Mt. Airy and hadn't play Idlewild or Lincoln Ridge or Osage. I was bamboozled by this info, you have been playing 8 years and have a top 10 course just a few miles away and never played it? The course started growing on me hole after hole. The last four holes then had me hooked. I had to go back and play those again! After that I could understand why a local would only play this course, it's pretty spectacular!

I have to give a shoutout to Pep Boys in Cincy, especially Jose. I got a flat tire as I pulled out the parking lot at Mt. Airy and called shop after shop that was closed on Thursday evening. I figured I was in Cincy and should try some Skyline Chili. I pull into the lot and notice the Pep Boys across the street and the lights were still on. I peeled out the lot and went across the street. It was 15 minutes to closing and they got me back up and running in about 20 minutes. Jose came back into the waiting room after driving my vehicle into the shop and asked if I was a disc golfer. Um yeah thats why my backseat was littered with discs. Turns out Jose is an avid dger and we talked the entire time about disc golf. So after that I went back across the street to Skyline and got some chili, I wasn't very impressed with it there and those are the smallest hot dogs and burritos I've ever seen. If anyone reading this comes to the DC area you got to check out Ben's Chili Bowl. At any rate I highly recommend Mt. Airy Forest to about anyone but rank beginners and this is a great destination course especially combined with Idlewild.

Mt. Airy Forest

5+    2/28/2014   3/29/2014
Review By: Donthavefun3
Pros: Wide varity of shots here, with multiple pin placements, makes this an excellent course. You name it you'll find it here elevation changes, long holes, short holes, wooded holes, pro shop. This place is one of a kind.
Cons: This course could be a bit overwhelming for a beginner, but definitely worth playing if your willing to put your game to the test.

Mt. Airy DGC

5+    10/21/2013   1/21/2014
Review By: joshtrum
This review was updated on 2/21/2014
Pros: -Variety of Holes
- Pro Shop on site
- Multiple types of practice baskets and practice material
- multiple pin placements
Other Thoughts: What new can be said about an established well known course. Go play Airy, you will not regret it. It is one of the best courses in SW Ohio for overall practice or good play. Go. Go now. On a serious note, The course has holes that offer everything: Distance, Tight technical wooded holes, blind shots, uphill, downhill. Airy gives you a chance to practice every type of shot. Practice basket for putting and a practice basket for approaches. The course baskets change on a somewhat regular basis, so the course can always feel fresh, and have a slight variation to it. This course is just a good pro/open level course that is fun for beginners to learn on, all the way to the most skilled of players to practice their game.

Great Course

1    10/25/2013   10/26/2013
Review By: pmorgan1214
Pros: This course has it all. If your looking for distance, mid range, wooded shots, open shots.
- pads are in good condition
- baskets are nice and in a nice red color
- pro shot at hole 1 allows you to get a new disc
- hole markers showing where the pin is located
- clean fairways
- 2 practice baskets
Cons: There are no cons to this course. It is quite amazing.
Other Thoughts: This course is just superb. You have to bring out every disc in your bag to get a good score here. I love the pro shop, the course and everything about this course.

Mt Airy Forest

1    9/20/2013   9/22/2013
Review By: AnimeJ
Pros: This is a gorgeous course. The layout is truly phenomenal, and should provide a solid challenge to most skill levels.

Each hole has 2-3 pin placements from a single tee, with the placement for the day marked on each hole. Additionally, there is a lot of elevation throughout the park, and this course does a very good job of making use of the elevation changes to provide additional challenge to players.

Last, the course itself is fantastically maintained. Fairways were very clear and kept neatly cut. Each holes signage was pristine, and knowing which basket position was a plus, although there are a few holes which caused some issue despite the outstanding signage.
Cons: While for the most part, the red coated baskets are very easy to see, there are several holes which require the player to throw blind. In some cases, due to tree layout, a first time player to the course(which I was) may wind up losing strokes simply for not being able to easily identify the location of the basket. However, this is a very, very rare occurrence, with only one or two holes having this sort of issue.

Additionally, there are a few holes where the transition from pin to the next teepad aren't immediately obvious; I highly advise stopping by the pro shop for a map.
Other Thoughts: While this was personally a negative with regards to the course, I have not negatively accounted for it in the score. This course heavily favors players who either throw predominantly left hand back hand, or right hand fore hand. Nearly half the holes on the course play directly left to right, and several of the more neutral, straight holes are laid out in a manner that provides a solid advantage to players who favor those techniques. Again, this isn't a strict negative, but for those players who are strict RHBH without a forehand, expect to throw the anny backhand on a plurality of the holes.

Also, the pro shop on site near the 1st and 18th holes deserves a mention. It's very well stocked, and the individual staffing the day I went down was exceptionally friendly, even ensuring that I had a map of the course before I went out, which was very helpful in sucessfully navigating my way through.

All told, even having to drive somewhat more than an hour to play Mt Airy, despite any personal issues with the layout, or slight difficulties in navigating the course, it's a fantastic course, and easily one of the top 5 in the state. I highly recommend throwing a round here if you're able to make the drive.

Mt. Airy

1    4/27/2013   4/27/2013
Review By: preludedrew
Pros: A truly challenging course, with rolling hills, massive trees, long distances up in the mountains. This is a great course, that will test your game, and make you a better player. Added signs are perfect, and has long concrete pads, with benches.
Cons: Not many water hazards, but not a big deal.
Other Thoughts: A great course, up there with Idlewild, though doesnt have the putt putt green like Idlewild does. Phenomenal course, that must be played by any disc golfer who takes the sport seriously.

Phenomenal

1    2/24/2013   2/25/2013
Review By: lukejones
Pros: Category I: "Essential Properties of a Good Course"
-Baskets were in great condition and clearly visible with red paint
-Tee pads were in great condition as well (concrete) and provided plenty of room for runup
-Course map found online was a life saver....though overall navigation wasn't too difficult, it did come in handy on a few holes

Category 2: "Combine w/ Cat I to make a great course"
-General course design- Mt. Airy seemed to flow very well. Fairways seemed well defined, not crossing, and tees were relatively easy to find based on visual clues and the map when needed
-Course is very well maintained
-Benches and trash bins were located throughout which was a lifesaver for my 35wk pregnant wife!

Category 3: "bonus attributes to make an excellent course"
-Nice mix of elevation throughout.
-You'd never guess you were inside or very near downtown Cincinnati as quiet and peaceful as the park was
-Very memorable holes. Some of my favorites were #15, 17 and 18. The gentleman in the pro ship indicated #14 used to be #1 and the course was later re-routed. I can understand why because the course finished strong.
-Good variety of hole distances from a couple hundred feet to over 700 ft. Even the shorter holes though provided just enough challenge to force you to earn your birdies which I liked.
-In terms of shot variety, I used a good portion of my bag and mixed it up a lot between RHBH and RHFW throws with an occasional roller and tomahawk.
-The pro shop was fully loaded with just about every disc or brand imagineable. The gentleman inside was very friendly as well.
-Very nice practice facility with 2 long concrete pads going to a large net for warming up. Also there were 2 practice baskets for putting and at least 1 of them had synthetic turf which was a nice touch to avoid mudd from heavy traffic.
Cons: Park signage should be updated to point to the real Hole #1. My wife and I followed the signs to the disc golf park which led us to Hole #14.

Course signage could have been better. Without the course map, we could have gotten lost a few times. "Next tee" signs or arrows could have been helpful.

Tee signs on most holes were OK, but some need replaced

I felt like cars in the parking lot were in play for a long drive on hole 13.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the 1.5 hr drive and hotel stay to play 3 of Cincinnati's finest courses........Lincoln Ridge (only time for front 9), Mt. Airy, and Idlewild

The unofficial capitol of Cincinnati disc golf

5+    12/4/2012   12/5/2012
Review By: MightyJeff
Pros: -Great mix of holes. There are long holes and short ones, with lots of elevation changes that keep things interesting. You'll have to deal with tight holes with thick brush to the sides of fairways but get relief from open holes as well.
-Pretty good drainage - often times, great disc golf weather in Cincinnati coincides with rain, making places like Lincoln Ridge prohibitively muddy and dangerous. At Mt. Airy, if it rains one day, the course will be relatively dry the next.
-Easy access off I-74 from most of the Cincinnati area. This is great because pro-caliber courses are rarely this accessible.
-Very clear navigation, which makes the course accessible for first timers. Pretty hard to get lost here.
-Phenomenal upkeep. The course is clean, the grass is cut regularly, and hazards or broken baskets are taken care of quickly. It shows that Cincinnati disc golfers value this course (as they should).
-Outstanding practice area. There's a driving range of sorts next to hole 1 with a net to catch practice drives, and there are two practice baskets with plenty of room to work on your putts.
-The Nati disc golf shop is right next to hole 1 and the parking area, and Fred and Jason have done a great job making it a first rate disc golf shop. They carry almost every disc currently available at great prices. The patio makes for a nice place to hang out before or after a round.
Cons: -The tee signs need replacing. A good number are missing, and the ones that are there are old and weathered.
-Some of the holes have just one basket position. This has never bothered me, but some people like new basket locations every now and then to keep them on their toes.
-No water hazards? There really aren't many cons to this course.
Other Thoughts: I've been playing this course for about 15 years and it's never been better than it is now, which is saying something. This is a solid, challenging course that's tough to throw par on, and it has the ability to make you want to come back again and again. Mt. Airy has spoiled me with playing new courses, as it is what I compare all new courses I play to. I'm proud to call it my home course. It doesn't match Idlewild down the freeway in Kentucky, but then again, not much can touch Idlewild. Mt. Airy should absolutely be on your list if you're planning on coming to or traveling through Cincinnati.

< Prev 1 2 3 4