Cincinnati, OH
Mt. Airy Forest Share
Uploaded By: ImSchizoidMan Hole #16 (Taken 6/2009)
3 / 330ft.   3 / 395ft.   3 / 395ft.   3 / 475ft. Par / Distance:

A little too tight, but not bad

2-4    8/13/2013   8/14/2013
Review By: philio37
Pros: Well-labeled
Variety of terrain
Interesting pin location
Varying distances, elevations, and visibility
Cons: Too close to roads and parking lots
Plenty of trees to hit
Other Thoughts: Enjoyable course, just have to be careful with trees, people, and cars.

A Cincy Gem

1    5/26/2013   5/30/2013
Review By: el_duder
Pros: +Teepads and Baskets: Pads are concrete, good size, generally good condition. Baskets are DGA Mach III and in good condition.
+Layout: The course has multiple pin placements to provide a good amount of re-playability.
+Tee Signs: All were generally in good condition, provide necessary info, also have pin indicators that are a great help on blind holes.
+Challenge: This course requires a pretty good variety of shots and has a good bit of length to it depending on the pin locations.
+The Nati. I'll get into this more in the "Other Thoughts" section.
+Other: Very nicely maintained, clean, the park offers a bunch of picnic areas and trails and playground equipment, restrooms and water also available. Also has two additional holes available during the winter.
Cons: -Hazards: Several holes play close to roads or parking areas, one hole has you throwing over a road. These make me a bit nervous but probably don't bother more experienced players too much. It seems like the park can be very busy at times and that means there may be some unexpected spectators oblivious to flying discs.
-Variety: Generally the variety is pretty good but there were a handful of similar straight open throws. Not a major problem, but noticeable.
-Navigation could be a little bit of a problem so take a map.
Other Thoughts: Mt. Airy is probably the best top notch course in Cincy for the widest range of skill levels. The course plays fairly quick, but does put up a pretty good challenge. I believe most of the pins were in B and C positions when I played. You will certainly use a variety of shots and may find yourself in a bit of trouble if you don't hit the fairway on many of the holes. However, other holes can be very forgiving too. It's very well balanced course and offers a fun round of golf.

One of the best aspects of this course is the Nati. This place is awesome for just hanging out and exudes a traditional clubhouse vibe. They stock a great selection of plastic and snacks for pre or post round munchies. In addition to the pro shop, you can warm up your arm at the driving nets or at one of the two warmup baskets. If you want to make a day of it, pack a lunch, eat at the picnic tables and challenge one of the locals to a game of "porch-shoes."

Hopefully the concern over this park getting closed passes and golfers can enjoy this course for many years to come. I'm very glad I had the opportunity to play at this classic course.

Wow, what a great course.

1    4/28/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: Jowsepi
Pros: I have not been playing that long (about a month or so). I have played a few of the smaller courses and decided to play a longer one. Let's face it, Winton Woods is tiny compared to this place. I thought I was pretty good until I came here. I only managed to par a few of the holes while a couple of the others really kicked my butt. It didn't help that I came on a day when all of the tee's were in their longest position. I have a long way to go in my game.
Cons: Being my first time here, I had trouble finding my way from tee to bucket. (Maybe it was because the tee's were all the way back.
Other Thoughts: The pro shop was excellent and loaded with discs and accessories. The guy working was full of knowledge and actually talked me out of buying a couple of discs because he knew I wouldn't be able to throw them. Instead he personally took me outside to the practice driving net and gave me a lesson real quick. I bought another disc that he recommended. Also they have maps in the pro shop to help you out.

Mt. Airy

1    4/27/2013   4/27/2013
Review By: preludedrew
Pros: A truly challenging course, with rolling hills, massive trees, long distances up in the mountains. This is a great course, that will test your game, and make you a better player. Added signs are perfect, and has long concrete pads, with benches.
Cons: Not many water hazards, but not a big deal.
Other Thoughts: A great course, up there with Idlewild, though doesnt have the putt putt green like Idlewild does. Phenomenal course, that must be played by any disc golfer who takes the sport seriously.

Phenomenal

1    2/24/2013   2/25/2013
Review By: lukejones
Pros: Category I: "Essential Properties of a Good Course"
-Baskets were in great condition and clearly visible with red paint
-Tee pads were in great condition as well (concrete) and provided plenty of room for runup
-Course map found online was a life saver....though overall navigation wasn't too difficult, it did come in handy on a few holes

Category 2: "Combine w/ Cat I to make a great course"
-General course design- Mt. Airy seemed to flow very well. Fairways seemed well defined, not crossing, and tees were relatively easy to find based on visual clues and the map when needed
-Course is very well maintained
-Benches and trash bins were located throughout which was a lifesaver for my 35wk pregnant wife!

Category 3: "bonus attributes to make an excellent course"
-Nice mix of elevation throughout.
-You'd never guess you were inside or very near downtown Cincinnati as quiet and peaceful as the park was
-Very memorable holes. Some of my favorites were #15, 17 and 18. The gentleman in the pro ship indicated #14 used to be #1 and the course was later re-routed. I can understand why because the course finished strong.
-Good variety of hole distances from a couple hundred feet to over 700 ft. Even the shorter holes though provided just enough challenge to force you to earn your birdies which I liked.
-In terms of shot variety, I used a good portion of my bag and mixed it up a lot between RHBH and RHFW throws with an occasional roller and tomahawk.
-The pro shop was fully loaded with just about every disc or brand imagineable. The gentleman inside was very friendly as well.
-Very nice practice facility with 2 long concrete pads going to a large net for warming up. Also there were 2 practice baskets for putting and at least 1 of them had synthetic turf which was a nice touch to avoid mudd from heavy traffic.
Cons: Park signage should be updated to point to the real Hole #1. My wife and I followed the signs to the disc golf park which led us to Hole #14.

Course signage could have been better. Without the course map, we could have gotten lost a few times. "Next tee" signs or arrows could have been helpful.

Tee signs on most holes were OK, but some need replaced

I felt like cars in the parking lot were in play for a long drive on hole 13.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the 1.5 hr drive and hotel stay to play 3 of Cincinnati's finest courses........Lincoln Ridge (only time for front 9), Mt. Airy, and Idlewild

The unofficial capitol of Cincinnati disc golf

5+    12/4/2012   12/5/2012
Review By: MightyJeff
Pros: -Great mix of holes. There are long holes and short ones, with lots of elevation changes that keep things interesting. You'll have to deal with tight holes with thick brush to the sides of fairways but get relief from open holes as well.
-Pretty good drainage - often times, great disc golf weather in Cincinnati coincides with rain, making places like Lincoln Ridge prohibitively muddy and dangerous. At Mt. Airy, if it rains one day, the course will be relatively dry the next.
-Easy access off I-74 from most of the Cincinnati area. This is great because pro-caliber courses are rarely this accessible.
-Very clear navigation, which makes the course accessible for first timers. Pretty hard to get lost here.
-Phenomenal upkeep. The course is clean, the grass is cut regularly, and hazards or broken baskets are taken care of quickly. It shows that Cincinnati disc golfers value this course (as they should).
-Outstanding practice area. There's a driving range of sorts next to hole 1 with a net to catch practice drives, and there are two practice baskets with plenty of room to work on your putts.
-The Nati disc golf shop is right next to hole 1 and the parking area, and Fred and Jason have done a great job making it a first rate disc golf shop. They carry almost every disc currently available at great prices. The patio makes for a nice place to hang out before or after a round.
Cons: -The tee signs need replacing. A good number are missing, and the ones that are there are old and weathered.
-Some of the holes have just one basket position. This has never bothered me, but some people like new basket locations every now and then to keep them on their toes.
-No water hazards? There really aren't many cons to this course.
Other Thoughts: I've been playing this course for about 15 years and it's never been better than it is now, which is saying something. This is a solid, challenging course that's tough to throw par on, and it has the ability to make you want to come back again and again. Mt. Airy has spoiled me with playing new courses, as it is what I compare all new courses I play to. I'm proud to call it my home course. It doesn't match Idlewild down the freeway in Kentucky, but then again, not much can touch Idlewild. Mt. Airy should absolutely be on your list if you're planning on coming to or traveling through Cincinnati.

Salty milkshakes squishing between my toes

1    11/25/2011   10/20/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal Rank: 108

A great selection of holes at Mt Airy offers challenges involving a variety of elevation, wooded and open, lengths from ace runs to par 4s. All in a beautiful escape from the city, one of the more secluded feeling city park courses that I've played.

The Nati Pro shop is a big bonus with a huge selection of discs and equipment, knowledgeable staff, practice area outside with the only driving net I've ever come across.

Of the Cincy area big 3, this is my second favorite in that it has a bit more overall variety than Lincoln Ridge, and is a level below the awesomeness that is Idlewild. The area is a great weekend disc golf destination with Mt Airy being one of the shining gems.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.

My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene. If I was involved in a tournament or league or met up with some locals and played the course multiple times I appreciate different aspects of a course.

Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.

Wish this was in my back yard....

2-4    10/7/2012   10/16/2012
Review By: lteppen
Pros: Design:
Looking at othe peoples comments and talking to people about Mt. Airy, I knew it was going to be a descent course, but was it worth the 10 hour drive? We had driven 10 hrs from Mpls/St Paul the day before to tackle some of the Cinci area courses. To our delight, this course did not disappoint. This was a well thought out layout and great use of elevation and open/woods combinations.

Fairways: were in good shape and well maintained, no down sticks/trees and grass was a good length.

Rough: at Mt Airy has got a touch of everything imaginable. Many holes have dense woods risk, drop off risks and thick prickly patches of hell. Not knowing the course almost guarantees sacrificing a disc or two but most holes give you a good chance to find your disc.

Elevation Variety: was phenomenal. Many slight uphill shots that turn 270 foot holes into what seems more like 350. Nice mix of gradual downhill right and left hooking holes with larger fairways. Shooting over a gully back to head height is in the mix of holes here. There is really a touch of all styles of elevation layouts requiring your shot selection to be diverse and consistent.

Length: was average, great use of park land. This is a course one could play every day if they lived close. A much more managable course when compared to close by "IDLEWILD", the behemoth.

Use of Water: Not a whole lot here, however the pin placements, elevation and environment more than make up for it.

Course Beauty: is fantastic. Set among rolling hills outside of Cincinatti. The course meanders through a mature forest on the grouds of a well maintained public park. Little trash and simply beautiful.

Overall: Phenomenal design and a very "playable" coures. One that doesnt wear you out but demands consistency and focus.

Signs: Fairly well maintained and marked. Basic sketches. Lengths do not match the scorecards in all cases. Pars seemed to be a bit "novice" on some holes. We typically play any course all 3's to keep it simple. Playing the course this way definitely makes it a challenge to play a par game! I shot a 65 (5 over) my first round here and was pretty satisfied!

Tees: concrete and in good shape.

Ease of Navigation: pretty straightforward, especially if you have the map. If not, find a local. The two added holes (A and B) midcourse are a bit difficult to find your first time through. Look for a small path into the woods to the right after hold 3.

Lost Disc Potential: Moderate

Other: Free Course! Cool sign at the parking lot that shows distances to other phenomenal courses.

Cons: Not much to complain about here...

No water holes is about it.
Other Thoughts: Special Features / Misc:
The Pro Shop here is amazing. More disc selection than I have seen in 90% of the shops I have been in.

There is also a practice basket, a midrange basket and a tee off net. On the concrete are stenciled footings to show beginers the proper pre-throw steps. Very Cool!

Favorite Hole(s): 5, 13, 17

Hudson Mills Metropark, Dexter MI

Fun Course

2-4    7/9/2012   10/9/2012
Review By: steven2361
Pros: Wow.

To start there is a great pro shop. There is also a terrific warm up area to throw drives into the net and putt to two different turf greens so they don't get muddy. The sign with mileages to famous disc golf courses adds a nice touch. There are many cool little features like this.

Great concrete tee pads with decent signage.

Every hole is unique here, I never got bored with the holes. There are many par 4s and one great par 5 with a skinny fairway bending right.

Hole 15 is an amazing downhill bomb to a large flat plateaued green. It is a great looking and playing hole.

Lots of opportunities to huk a drive.
Cons: Hole 3 is kind of a goofy angle. Par 3.5=not very fun. The tees on the two extra holes after hole 3 are not good. 8 is a weak hole playing very short downhill and open. Some of the par 4s are too easy to three.

This course is not too technical.

Mt. Fun

1    7/27/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: #19325
Pros: Mt. Airy is located in a huge park. There is a nice building with a pro shop near the tee of #1. The land has rolling hills, open areas, and wooded areas. I'ts a really good mix of land and holes. There is a restroom and water located right in the middle of the park and accessible from several holes during the round. The locals do a great job taking care of this course.

Near tee #1 there is a great practice area. There are 2 practice baskets. One has astroturf lining it so there is no mud to contend with. There is also a net to throw into. I've never been to a course with a better practice area.

Each hole had 1 concrete tee pad. All were flat and long.

Each hole had a very desriptive tee signs showing all 3 pin placements.

Mach 3 baskets were in great shape. Looks like they just replaced them.

With the use of a map I had no problem navigating this course.

This course was challenging and fun. I could see newer players have a good time as well. There was rough but we did not have a hard time locating discs.

Roads come into play on quite a few holes adding challenge.

Hole #15 was a super fun hole crushing it down the hill.
Cons: There was quite a bit of traffic on the park roads the day I played. Our group almost blasted a car on accident. Not fun.

The course has very fun "tunnel" type shots.

The day I played it seemed like there were many holes in the 300 to 330 foot range.
Other Thoughts: This is a very fun course and well worth the stop. I had played Idlewild and wanted to try something new. I was not let down by this course.