Cincinnati, OH
Mt. Airy Forest Share
Uploaded By: ImSchizoidMan Hole #9 (Taken 6/2009)

Phenomenal

1    2/24/2013   2/25/2013
Review By: lukejones
Pros: Category I: "Essential Properties of a Good Course"
-Baskets were in great condition and clearly visible with red paint
-Tee pads were in great condition as well (concrete) and provided plenty of room for runup
-Course map found online was a life saver....though overall navigation wasn't too difficult, it did come in handy on a few holes

Category 2: "Combine w/ Cat I to make a great course"
-General course design- Mt. Airy seemed to flow very well. Fairways seemed well defined, not crossing, and tees were relatively easy to find based on visual clues and the map when needed
-Course is very well maintained
-Benches and trash bins were located throughout which was a lifesaver for my 35wk pregnant wife!

Category 3: "bonus attributes to make an excellent course"
-Nice mix of elevation throughout.
-You'd never guess you were inside or very near downtown Cincinnati as quiet and peaceful as the park was
-Very memorable holes. Some of my favorites were #15, 17 and 18. The gentleman in the pro ship indicated #14 used to be #1 and the course was later re-routed. I can understand why because the course finished strong.
-Good variety of hole distances from a couple hundred feet to over 700 ft. Even the shorter holes though provided just enough challenge to force you to earn your birdies which I liked.
-In terms of shot variety, I used a good portion of my bag and mixed it up a lot between RHBH and RHFW throws with an occasional roller and tomahawk.
-The pro shop was fully loaded with just about every disc or brand imagineable. The gentleman inside was very friendly as well.
-Very nice practice facility with 2 long concrete pads going to a large net for warming up. Also there were 2 practice baskets for putting and at least 1 of them had synthetic turf which was a nice touch to avoid mudd from heavy traffic.
Cons: Park signage should be updated to point to the real Hole #1. My wife and I followed the signs to the disc golf park which led us to Hole #14.

Course signage could have been better. Without the course map, we could have gotten lost a few times. "Next tee" signs or arrows could have been helpful.

Tee signs on most holes were OK, but some need replaced

I felt like cars in the parking lot were in play for a long drive on hole 13.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the 1.5 hr drive and hotel stay to play 3 of Cincinnati's finest courses........Lincoln Ridge (only time for front 9), Mt. Airy, and Idlewild

The unofficial capitol of Cincinnati disc golf

5+    12/4/2012   12/5/2012
Review By: MightyJeff
Pros: -Great mix of holes. There are long holes and short ones, with lots of elevation changes that keep things interesting. You'll have to deal with tight holes with thick brush to the sides of fairways but get relief from open holes as well.
-Pretty good drainage - often times, great disc golf weather in Cincinnati coincides with rain, making places like Lincoln Ridge prohibitively muddy and dangerous. At Mt. Airy, if it rains one day, the course will be relatively dry the next.
-Easy access off I-74 from most of the Cincinnati area. This is great because pro-caliber courses are rarely this accessible.
-Very clear navigation, which makes the course accessible for first timers. Pretty hard to get lost here.
-Phenomenal upkeep. The course is clean, the grass is cut regularly, and hazards or broken baskets are taken care of quickly. It shows that Cincinnati disc golfers value this course (as they should).
-Outstanding practice area. There's a driving range of sorts next to hole 1 with a net to catch practice drives, and there are two practice baskets with plenty of room to work on your putts.
-The Nati disc golf shop is right next to hole 1 and the parking area, and Fred and Jason have done a great job making it a first rate disc golf shop. They carry almost every disc currently available at great prices. The patio makes for a nice place to hang out before or after a round.
Cons: -The tee signs need replacing. A good number are missing, and the ones that are there are old and weathered.
-Some of the holes have just one basket position. This has never bothered me, but some people like new basket locations every now and then to keep them on their toes.
-No water hazards? There really aren't many cons to this course.
Other Thoughts: I've been playing this course for about 15 years and it's never been better than it is now, which is saying something. This is a solid, challenging course that's tough to throw par on, and it has the ability to make you want to come back again and again. Mt. Airy has spoiled me with playing new courses, as it is what I compare all new courses I play to. I'm proud to call it my home course. It doesn't match Idlewild down the freeway in Kentucky, but then again, not much can touch Idlewild. Mt. Airy should absolutely be on your list if you're planning on coming to or traveling through Cincinnati.

Salty milkshakes squishing between my toes

1    11/25/2011   10/20/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal Rank: 108

A great selection of holes at Mt Airy offers challenges involving a variety of elevation, wooded and open, lengths from ace runs to par 4s. All in a beautiful escape from the city, one of the more secluded feeling city park courses that I've played.

The Nati Pro shop is a big bonus with a huge selection of discs and equipment, knowledgeable staff, practice area outside with the only driving net I've ever come across.

Of the Cincy area big 3, this is my second favorite in that it has a bit more overall variety than Lincoln Ridge, and is a level below the awesomeness that is Idlewild. The area is a great weekend disc golf destination with Mt Airy being one of the shining gems.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.

My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene. If I was involved in a tournament or league or met up with some locals and played the course multiple times I appreciate different aspects of a course.

Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.

Wish this was in my back yard....

2-4    10/7/2012   10/16/2012
Review By: lteppen
Pros: Design:
Looking at othe peoples comments and talking to people about Mt. Airy, I knew it was going to be a descent course, but was it worth the 10 hour drive? We had driven 10 hrs from Mpls/St Paul the day before to tackle some of the Cinci area courses. To our delight, this course did not disappoint. This was a well thought out layout and great use of elevation and open/woods combinations.

Fairways: were in good shape and well maintained, no down sticks/trees and grass was a good length.

Rough: at Mt Airy has got a touch of everything imaginable. Many holes have dense woods risk, drop off risks and thick prickly patches of hell. Not knowing the course almost guarantees sacrificing a disc or two but most holes give you a good chance to find your disc.

Elevation Variety: was phenomenal. Many slight uphill shots that turn 270 foot holes into what seems more like 350. Nice mix of gradual downhill right and left hooking holes with larger fairways. Shooting over a gully back to head height is in the mix of holes here. There is really a touch of all styles of elevation layouts requiring your shot selection to be diverse and consistent.

Length: was average, great use of park land. This is a course one could play every day if they lived close. A much more managable course when compared to close by "IDLEWILD", the behemoth.

Use of Water: Not a whole lot here, however the pin placements, elevation and environment more than make up for it.

Course Beauty: is fantastic. Set among rolling hills outside of Cincinatti. The course meanders through a mature forest on the grouds of a well maintained public park. Little trash and simply beautiful.

Overall: Phenomenal design and a very "playable" coures. One that doesnt wear you out but demands consistency and focus.

Signs: Fairly well maintained and marked. Basic sketches. Lengths do not match the scorecards in all cases. Pars seemed to be a bit "novice" on some holes. We typically play any course all 3's to keep it simple. Playing the course this way definitely makes it a challenge to play a par game! I shot a 65 (5 over) my first round here and was pretty satisfied!

Tees: concrete and in good shape.

Ease of Navigation: pretty straightforward, especially if you have the map. If not, find a local. The two added holes (A and B) midcourse are a bit difficult to find your first time through. Look for a small path into the woods to the right after hold 3.

Lost Disc Potential: Moderate

Other: Free Course! Cool sign at the parking lot that shows distances to other phenomenal courses.

Cons: Not much to complain about here...

No water holes is about it.
Other Thoughts: Special Features / Misc:
The Pro Shop here is amazing. More disc selection than I have seen in 90% of the shops I have been in.

There is also a practice basket, a midrange basket and a tee off net. On the concrete are stenciled footings to show beginers the proper pre-throw steps. Very Cool!

Favorite Hole(s): 5, 13, 17

Hudson Mills Metropark, Dexter MI

Fun Course

2-4    7/9/2012   10/9/2012
Review By: steven2361
Pros: Wow.

To start there is a great pro shop. There is also a terrific warm up area to throw drives into the net and putt to two different turf greens so they don't get muddy. The sign with mileages to famous disc golf courses adds a nice touch. There are many cool little features like this.

Great concrete tee pads with decent signage.

Every hole is unique here, I never got bored with the holes. There are many par 4s and one great par 5 with a skinny fairway bending right.

Hole 15 is an amazing downhill bomb to a large flat plateaued green. It is a great looking and playing hole.

Lots of opportunities to huk a drive.
Cons: Hole 3 is kind of a goofy angle. Par 3.5=not very fun. The tees on the two extra holes after hole 3 are not good. 8 is a weak hole playing very short downhill and open. Some of the par 4s are too easy to three.

This course is not too technical.

Mt. Fun

1    7/27/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: #19325
Pros: Mt. Airy is located in a huge park. There is a nice building with a pro shop near the tee of #1. The land has rolling hills, open areas, and wooded areas. I'ts a really good mix of land and holes. There is a restroom and water located right in the middle of the park and accessible from several holes during the round. The locals do a great job taking care of this course.

Near tee #1 there is a great practice area. There are 2 practice baskets. One has astroturf lining it so there is no mud to contend with. There is also a net to throw into. I've never been to a course with a better practice area.

Each hole had 1 concrete tee pad. All were flat and long.

Each hole had a very desriptive tee signs showing all 3 pin placements.

Mach 3 baskets were in great shape. Looks like they just replaced them.

With the use of a map I had no problem navigating this course.

This course was challenging and fun. I could see newer players have a good time as well. There was rough but we did not have a hard time locating discs.

Roads come into play on quite a few holes adding challenge.

Hole #15 was a super fun hole crushing it down the hill.
Cons: There was quite a bit of traffic on the park roads the day I played. Our group almost blasted a car on accident. Not fun.

The course has very fun "tunnel" type shots.

The day I played it seemed like there were many holes in the 300 to 330 foot range.
Other Thoughts: This is a very fun course and well worth the stop. I had played Idlewild and wanted to try something new. I was not let down by this course.

Well Done, Exceptional

1    6/11/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Disc Golf Dave
Pros: What a fantastic course this is. The pro shop is one of the best I have seen. It is staffed by some very friendly people. It's a great course for some shot making.

The course is well designed with views, variety and plenty of challenge without being too tight and punitive. The course has a great vibe and feel privileged to have played. I wish I live closer to this jewel.
Cons: None that I can think of.

Fun course!

5+    6/3/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: telusive
Pros: Plays around a very nice park in MT Airy forest
Elevation changes, fun hole variation
Usually very well taken care of
Concrete tees, excellent baskets. Some holes have multiple placements
Good for all throwing styles
Cons: Pretty hard to navigate the course in some places
Can sometimes be rough in some areas, could use a little bushwacking.
I liked the course more prior to the redesign it got several years ago. There use to be more wood holes, and the ones they removed were very interesting.
Other Thoughts: Pro shop on the course is in a really cool building, tons of discs.

The Home of the Nati Big 3

5+    5/23/2012   5/25/2012
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: Though Idlewild is the crown jewel, Mt.Airy Park is the home of the Cincinnati Big 3. Come to the end of the drive and visit the Nati pro shop (I'm not advertising or affiliated, just pointing out the type of setup other courses might aspire to), and you'll see the definition of care and dedication to the sport.
Outside the old converted park house is a practice driving area (yes, driving into a net from dedicated strips of concrete allowing you to run up, work on your x-step, etc), an astroturfed, dedicated putting basket, and a second practice basket to work on upshots.
The course itself has extra large teepads, detailed signage, benches, trash receptacles, and new baskets this year. Fairways are always well maintained, and paths are mulched and/or graveled. Bathrooms and shelters are located on a few locations along the path of the course. The rough seems more focused on punishing bad shots than on making your discs disappear (and even if you lose one, this is the most likely place to have a found disc wind up in the box at the pro shop, so check there if you've ever been so unfortunate…)
The folks who keep Mt.Airy one of the best city park courses in the world demonstrate their devotion in the simple things, like constantly improving, expanding, or building better erosion control around a teebox here or there, or regularly moving the basket placements (just stop in the shop and they'll provide a map and scorecard, and let you know that day's configuration). And the locals who play here are mostly very knowledgeable and helpful to newcomers (like me).
Rather than multiple tees, Mt. Airy features many alternate pin positions, and the longs can really increase (boo!) the scores for novice and rec players. I put this in the plus column, because I aspire to compete with intermediate and advanced players, for whom this course is a challenge.
Mt. Airy hosts many tournaments throughout the year, and weekly ace funds and doubles, yet is big enough and challenging enough to minimize having too many casual players, and is therefore seldom overcrowded.
There are a number of memorable holes, starting with #1, which requires a right-bending tee shot over the ridge, an approach into the woods, and a decent putt to hit par (of course I envy those who can deuce this one). #2 goes through a set of guardian trees, across the drive, and over to one of three just-blind pin positions. #3 is a tricky left-turning shot with the only mando on the course. Skipping ahead, #5 is a huge dogleg right that requires power and precision to keep your shots between the tree line and the road. #8 is the most aceable hole, while I enjoy #10 the most (well...it's a downhill beauty!) - with the possible exception of #15, which may be even more magnificent. Come take a look, and decide which you like best. #17 goes long over two ridges and beyond some towering pines. You finish with a long but tightening line back behind the pro shop on #18.
There are Temp holes employed for tournaments, and they even set the course up for a 30 hole birdie bash once or twice a year.
There are still rumors of expansion (even another 18 coming?) in the park.
Cons: Negatives are few, and difficult to change anyway. The wet season in the fall can cause some of the sloping fairways to be a treacherous walk, but I guess if I'd have thrown my discs where I meant to, I would've been walking on more level ground (gotta try it that way next time it's wet, huh?).
Because of the layout and growth of the course, it's a fairly long walk from #6 basket to #7 tee, and if #11 is in the long position past the creek, there's a considerable hike back up #11's blind fairway to #12's tee. And there is no front nine/ back nine loop: but you're here to play it all, anyway!
Other Thoughts: Obviously, if you're coming to Cincinnati as a serious disc golfer, you will want to get in a round here.

mt anny... getting better

5+    4/5/2012   4/6/2012
Review By: tatonka
This review was updated on 4/30/2012
Pros: mt. airy mixes moderately wooded fairways with good distance capped off with inconspicuously tough greens. you will need your entire arsenal off the tees (esspecially annys and straight shots). even good drives will lead to ups that can't be taken for granted due to the difficulty of many of the greens. This course has a wonderful mix of open to heavily wooded drives, but doesnt have those annoying trees that are in the middle of the fairway where you want to put your disc. Instead, any fairway trees actually shape the fairways so that good clean shots get rewarded not rejected.
New pins have been added recently which help add variety to the course. A lot of these new pins can be added due to extensive work put into cleaning up the roughs just off the fairways. just a couple of years ago arrent tee shots could be lost just yards from the shot grass. now the rough is exactly what it should be, poor drives rarely result in pars or birdies, but now at least you can find your disc and attempt a desent recovery. Places that might once have been in the deepest darkest abiss now feature baskets on nicely wooded greens. The new pin locations also add a bit of a distance variety that the course sorely lacked.
Cons: Even with the before mentioned pin variety, the distances can still be a little static. I through rhbh and forehand both about 300'. I dont think there is a less enjoyable distance for this course. I find myself throwing my sidewinder either straight or w/ anny on almost all of the drives resulting on alot of ups slightly outside of putter range. With the new placements i get one or two more chances at bird and there are a few more true 2 shot par 4s but still a lot of annys.
Other Thoughts: When you think of mt. airy its hard to pick a signature hole. there are a lot of great holes but not much stands out as... magestic i guess is the word. 15 might stand out the most and is a wonderful hole... one of my favorites in all of disc golf. but im going to talk about one that i think encompasses what mt. airy is.
hole 4 is as forgetable a hole as there is but is a classic mt airy hole. a little under 400' it requires a straight drive that penetrates a few columns of fariway trees. after about 200 feet the hole opens up into a nice landing area for your up (one that is 10 times harder than it looks). a good drive will leave me another 60 or so feet of flat fairway before a 40 degree dropoff on which the basket sits. Its hard to stop your disc on that hill and not go 25 feet past. (I throw a banger that likes to sit down for me and doesnt pick up and glide way past). It isnt a hole that stands out but is what mt. anny is about. a good clean drive a nice well executed up will leave you with a put for 3, yet 4s are just as common.
A final thought about mt. airy... it is an exellent course that will challenge players of all caliber. It really is only lacking that word i was looking for earlier...majestic. Maybe im bias with idlewild near by but i guess i wish there was a little more water... there is a small creek or two that run near the course yet never really come into play. hole 11 is a perfect chance for that... moving the basket back over the creek would change that hole from the mt. airy typical (fairly tight anny drive, short but hard up, putt at 3) to a hole with some pizazz... which is the only thing this great course is missing... pizazz
(update) OMG so i go to mt. airy the other day and guess where there is a new basket...across the creek on hole 11, i couldnt believe it. It was fun to play and a true 2 shot hole... what also makes this green unique to at airy is that it is a green you can run at and not be penalized as it is on an up slope. If you can make the gap on the 2nd shot it only adds a half stroke to the hole, but more importantly variety... great job fred.
also ive added a half star to the course with these new baskets and the wonderful warm up area they have been developing over the last couple years... A throwing net, a couple of warmup baskets, and some equalizers hanging from the pro shop door. Great job.