Cincinnati, OH
Mt. Airy Forest Share
Uploaded By: ImSchizoidMan Hole #18 (Taken 6/2009)
3 / 267ft.   3 / 370ft.   3 / 267ft.   3 / 480ft. Par / Distance:

Break Out the Big Guns

1    5/14/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: Jarrod
Pros: Beautiful setting and well-manicured park that creates an excellent mix of open/wooded and long/short holes. This course will challenge every aspect of your game, especially your ability to control long-distance drivers - there are multiple holes with 400+ foot shots requiring careful turnovers and S-Curves.

Nice little pro-shop for when you finish the course. The help is friendly and knowledgeable.
Cons: There are a few navigational issues early on (I'm looking at you, hole 7) and the lack of markers for the next tee can be frustrating at times. A few tee signs do not always clearly depict a basket's location (ex: hole 17).

The course clearly favors people with big arms and the distances are such that people who can't throw much past 350 ft are left out a bit as they're always just out of deuce range on a lot of holes on the back nine.

There is a single hole early on with a completely unnecessary mandatory. I suppose that there are concerns with the parking lot nearby but really, this place has an unbelievable amount of land available - it shouldn't be that difficult to work in a different hole sans mandatory.
Other Thoughts: Mt. Airy is one of the top-notch courses in this area. With Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge being nearby, the three definitely form an awesome trifecta worthy of any serious golfer's attentions.

This course is stunning to look at and only suffers from minor issues that could be easily cleaned up with some small alterations. Excellent, excellent play.

5+    4/17/2010   4/26/2010
Review By: Ace1
Pros: One of the original World's courses. It is a very challenging course. Good for beginners but expect a higher number of throws. The course is rolling with numerous trees to challenge even the seasoned pro.

The course now has a pro shop where hole 1 is located. One can pick up discs, supplies, drinks and snacks.
Cons: Hole 5 is an almost impossible par 4 due the maturing trees along and in the fairway. A couple holes can get a little slippery with a little rain. A couple holes get close to picnic tables.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a very fun course. Mt.Airy in Cincy, Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild in Kentucky (just across the river) can make for a great and exhausting day of disc golf.

Must hit this one

1    4/24/2010   4/25/2010
Review By: Hitmetal
Pros: Long, beautiful forest, chains were just recently regalvonized. Proshop on site (need more courses with a proshop) Mix of open and tight fairways. Use of elevation was fun, making no look throws over hills and around ridges. The proshop,
"The Nati" has a huge selection of discs and equipment and a throwing net to practice putting or throw technique, and some pretty cool dudes running it to talk disc golf with.
Cons: Some sigange was missing and a little navigation complaint with the walk from 6 to 7.
Other Thoughts: Loved it. Great time, and tests all skills in throwing a disc.

Above average, but needs TLC

1    8/1/2009   4/23/2010
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: Loved the length. Aesthetically the park was pleasing and the grass was nicely kept.

The pro shop was very nice and carried a wide assortment of plastic. I picked up some Lat64 stuff that I've only seen online otherwise.
Cons: This is no longer a new course and it's showing it's age in places. Basket/teepad/sign improvements would probably raise my score to 4.0.

I'm not a huge fan of blind shots and this course has several. Maybe it's a matter of personal preference, but we spent quite a while looking for discs.

The layout doesn't flow well, and considering the renumbering of the holes, maps should definately be provided at the first tee.
Other Thoughts: With a little TLC I'd give this course a 4. That's a very solid course. If I lived in Cincy, I'd likely play this course quite a bit. Unfortunately, I don't live in Cincy, and whenever I make it up that way, Idlewild and Banklick rank higher on my priority list than Mt Airy does.

An average course that could be better

1    4/17/2010   4/20/2010
Review By: numbernine
Pros: - There are a ton of different shots on this course. Long and open, short and technical and everything in between.
- There is a pro shop on site. Though it was not open when I was there, this is always a bonus. They also had practice nets and pads set up near the clubhouse.
- Beautiful park! The course sits in the middle of a national forest and the course has amazing views.
- Concrete pads on every hole that seem to be in pretty good shape. 11 has a very unique elevated pad that makes for a cool shot coming out of the woods.
- This is a hard course over all. it is fair, but it is definitely tougher than your average course. you will get your face handed to you if you decide to take a risky shot and end up in the woods or down one of the bigger hills.
- TONS of elevation changes and blinds. this is probably the best part of the course for me.
Cons: - The baskets aren't in very good shape on most holes. The inside chains lay against the pole and the outside chains are very close to the pole. There were one or two exceptions to this rule, but overall they were not in good shape.
- The layout is just not great. There were quite a few times that I spent an inordinate amount of time searching for the next tee pad after I left the basket. In fact, the walk between 6 basket and 7 tee is so long that it feels like you're leaving the course. I missed 16 all together because I couldn't find it. the layout was so bad in fact, that none of the locals I talked to even knew were some of the holes were. I got a lot of "yeah, this used to be #1, but they've moved everything and didn't mark it."
- Very poor signage on most holes. I think on more than half of the holes either there was no sign on the tee pad, or just a sign that said what number you were on. this led to me walking out and trying to find the basket before I threw. and there are zero "this way to next tee" signs or arrows or anything to let you know where to go.
Other Thoughts: This is an average course that could really raise it's game with some very simple changes. Add some signs to the tee boxes, throw some directions out there and fix the baskets, and we're probably talking about a legit 4 star course.

you can see my video of this course here:

let me know if you dig the videos or whatever. I think it helps the review to see the course.

1    3/10/2010   3/10/2010
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: Very long and challenging course! It's set in a national forest and the area is basically exclusively used for disc golf. The forest is used very nicely and I'm sure is veeeeery pretty when fall and spring come around.
Some of the elevation changes are a lot of fun to shoot from. It requires more distance throws than any other course I've ever played! Definitely a course for bigger arms and experienced players.
Cons: I can't even begin to explain how muddy it was. The snow must have just melted or something because I was slipping and sliding all over the place.
Some of the holes are just a tad long for my taste, but other people may really like the challenge.
I think I normally would have given this course a 4, but the mud was really just unbearable and hurt the fun factor pretty significantly.
Other Thoughts: The Nati disc golf clubhouse is awesome! Definitely drop in and check out the discs and talk to the owners, they are really cool guys! The lost discs are really cheap as well if you need something.

One of my favs

5+    3/7/2010   3/9/2010
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 4/6/2010
Pros: The park is beautiful, just driving to the course is an enjoyable experience. Nice flora, excellent vistas and some of the best disc golf postcard holes in the game can be enjoyed here.

Several multi-shot holes provide good opportunities to demonstrate course management skills.

It's helpful to have good power here, but the course does demand a well rounded game to score well. A nice variety of holes will give you a chance to throw all the shots you know and you'll certainly have to scramble out of trouble at least once during the round.

The course is seasoned and well-maintained, which means that you're likely not to lose a disc unless you throw a very bad shot.

Mt. Airy is a great place for intermediate/advanced players to develop their games and will still make a pro work hard to go super-low.

There's a stocked pro-shop by the first tee.
Cons: Quite a few of the cement pads had major cracks.

The course could use one or two more sets of tees as it's a bit tough for new players.

As other reviewers have stated, it can be quite muddy at times, which is tough on the hills.
Other Thoughts: This course is challenging, both from the golf standpoint and the hiking standpoint. If that doesn't turn you off, then I'd definitely call Mt. Airy a "must play" if you're visiting the Cincinnati area.

Remember: Don't be a dirty disc golfer. If you pack it in, pack it out!

It was a muddy mess...

2-4    1/17/2010   1/18/2010
Review By: skottyb
Pros: I had played this course once before but never had the chance to give it a review. I don't like giving course reviews of just my one time first impression. Here goes after playing it twice. Mt Airy is situated nicely, hole 1 is right next too the Pro Shop (which was closed unfortunately but I understand) and it finishes almost exactly in the place it starts. The course had great flow too it, it demands accurate distance throws. A lot of hyzer flip shots are needed for RHBH players which I love. Distances are perfect, rewarding a nice drive and challenging you too make a good upshot/putt if you miss placement of your drive. Baskets are placed nicely to maximize the risk/reward factor.
Cons: The tee pads, some were great, others were cracked badly which made it difficult for a solid run up, which is needed on some holes. The course had just been put through a nice snow storm and I played it when the ground had thawed out so it was very muddy. Around the baskets could have used some wood chips or some drainage to prevent standing water. Again I don't consider this a con, heck I was the only player on the course at the time.
Other Thoughts: I love the distance shots on this course, most of the par 4s can be birdie'd, except maybe 5, and I was fortunate to take a 4 on that hole. It's tough. I love the course though and would definitely go out of my way to play it, I think I'd rather be over at Lincoln Ridge/Idlewild but if I had to come a little farther north then this course would be my top choice in the area. I love the pro shop thats there, can't wait to check it out when it warms up.

5+    7/10/2009   12/22/2009
Review By: richardmmill
This review was updated on 10/3/2011
Pros: Awesome course. Nice concrete tee pads (excluding the new holes still not poured). Helpful tee signs. Nicely kept always mowed. Course is very challenging, Hole 5 wrapping a long way around brush and against the road, very hard par 4. Many blind shots on the course. Good elevation changes in the course. Nice variance of long and short mostly long. Many tight fairways that require a great deal of precision. Fairways are well defined because the rough is pretty dang rough. Long course takes a while to play through, not for a first time player thats for sure. Pro Shop at the course!!! That is awesome.
Cons: Is heavily played and isn't as beautiful as it used to be. Flow can be confusing.
Other Thoughts: I liked the old course before they took out the heavy deep woods holes.

1    2/7/2009   11/3/2009
Review By: FreddieC
Pros: Very scenic. Plenty of variety of shots. Beautiful rolling hills. Definitely a must play course in Cincinnati area.
Cons: Course layout can be confusing unless you know the course well.
Other Thoughts: Winter time is probably not the best time to try out this course - there was a lot of damage to the signs on the tees and to the bulletin board which kind of