Cincinnati, OH
Mt. Airy Forest Share
Uploaded By: ImSchizoidMan Hole #15 (Taken 6/2009)
3 / 460ft.   4 / 560ft.   4 / 560ft.   4 / 580ft. Par / Distance:

An average course that could be better

1    4/17/2010   4/20/2010
Review By: numbernine
Pros: - There are a ton of different shots on this course. Long and open, short and technical and everything in between.
- There is a pro shop on site. Though it was not open when I was there, this is always a bonus. They also had practice nets and pads set up near the clubhouse.
- Beautiful park! The course sits in the middle of a national forest and the course has amazing views.
- Concrete pads on every hole that seem to be in pretty good shape. 11 has a very unique elevated pad that makes for a cool shot coming out of the woods.
- This is a hard course over all. it is fair, but it is definitely tougher than your average course. you will get your face handed to you if you decide to take a risky shot and end up in the woods or down one of the bigger hills.
- TONS of elevation changes and blinds. this is probably the best part of the course for me.
Cons: - The baskets aren't in very good shape on most holes. The inside chains lay against the pole and the outside chains are very close to the pole. There were one or two exceptions to this rule, but overall they were not in good shape.
- The layout is just not great. There were quite a few times that I spent an inordinate amount of time searching for the next tee pad after I left the basket. In fact, the walk between 6 basket and 7 tee is so long that it feels like you're leaving the course. I missed 16 all together because I couldn't find it. the layout was so bad in fact, that none of the locals I talked to even knew were some of the holes were. I got a lot of "yeah, this used to be #1, but they've moved everything and didn't mark it."
- Very poor signage on most holes. I think on more than half of the holes either there was no sign on the tee pad, or just a sign that said what number you were on. this led to me walking out and trying to find the basket before I threw. and there are zero "this way to next tee" signs or arrows or anything to let you know where to go.
Other Thoughts: This is an average course that could really raise it's game with some very simple changes. Add some signs to the tee boxes, throw some directions out there and fix the baskets, and we're probably talking about a legit 4 star course.

you can see my video of this course here:

let me know if you dig the videos or whatever. I think it helps the review to see the course.

Mt. Airy

1    3/10/2010   3/10/2010
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: Very long and challenging course! It's set in a national forest and the area is basically exclusively used for disc golf. The forest is used very nicely and I'm sure is veeeeery pretty when fall and spring come around.
Some of the elevation changes are a lot of fun to shoot from. It requires more distance throws than any other course I've ever played! Definitely a course for bigger arms and experienced players.
Cons: I can't even begin to explain how muddy it was. The snow must have just melted or something because I was slipping and sliding all over the place.
Some of the holes are just a tad long for my taste, but other people may really like the challenge.
I think I normally would have given this course a 4, but the mud was really just unbearable and hurt the fun factor pretty significantly.
Other Thoughts: The Nati disc golf clubhouse is awesome! Definitely drop in and check out the discs and talk to the owners, they are really cool guys! The lost discs are really cheap as well if you need something.

One of my favs

5+    3/7/2010   3/9/2010
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 4/6/2010
Pros: The park is beautiful, just driving to the course is an enjoyable experience. Nice flora, excellent vistas and some of the best disc golf postcard holes in the game can be enjoyed here.

Several multi-shot holes provide good opportunities to demonstrate course management skills.

It's helpful to have good power here, but the course does demand a well rounded game to score well. A nice variety of holes will give you a chance to throw all the shots you know and you'll certainly have to scramble out of trouble at least once during the round.

The course is seasoned and well-maintained, which means that you're likely not to lose a disc unless you throw a very bad shot.

Mt. Airy is a great place for intermediate/advanced players to develop their games and will still make a pro work hard to go super-low.

There's a stocked pro-shop by the first tee.
Cons: Quite a few of the cement pads had major cracks.

The course could use one or two more sets of tees as it's a bit tough for new players.

As other reviewers have stated, it can be quite muddy at times, which is tough on the hills.
Other Thoughts: This course is challenging, both from the golf standpoint and the hiking standpoint. If that doesn't turn you off, then I'd definitely call Mt. Airy a "must play" if you're visiting the Cincinnati area.

Remember: Don't be a dirty disc golfer. If you pack it in, pack it out!

It was a muddy mess...

2-4    1/17/2010   1/18/2010
Review By: skottyb
Pros: I had played this course once before but never had the chance to give it a review. I don't like giving course reviews of just my one time first impression. Here goes after playing it twice. Mt Airy is situated nicely, hole 1 is right next too the Pro Shop (which was closed unfortunately but I understand) and it finishes almost exactly in the place it starts. The course had great flow too it, it demands accurate distance throws. A lot of hyzer flip shots are needed for RHBH players which I love. Distances are perfect, rewarding a nice drive and challenging you too make a good upshot/putt if you miss placement of your drive. Baskets are placed nicely to maximize the risk/reward factor.
Cons: The tee pads, some were great, others were cracked badly which made it difficult for a solid run up, which is needed on some holes. The course had just been put through a nice snow storm and I played it when the ground had thawed out so it was very muddy. Around the baskets could have used some wood chips or some drainage to prevent standing water. Again I don't consider this a con, heck I was the only player on the course at the time.
Other Thoughts: I love the distance shots on this course, most of the par 4s can be birdie'd, except maybe 5, and I was fortunate to take a 4 on that hole. It's tough. I love the course though and would definitely go out of my way to play it, I think I'd rather be over at Lincoln Ridge/Idlewild but if I had to come a little farther north then this course would be my top choice in the area. I love the pro shop thats there, can't wait to check it out when it warms up.

Mt. Airy

5+    7/10/2009   12/22/2009
Review By: richardmmill
This review was updated on 10/3/2011
Pros: Awesome course. Nice concrete tee pads (excluding the new holes still not poured). Helpful tee signs. Nicely kept always mowed. Course is very challenging, Hole 5 wrapping a long way around brush and against the road, very hard par 4. Many blind shots on the course. Good elevation changes in the course. Nice variance of long and short mostly long. Many tight fairways that require a great deal of precision. Fairways are well defined because the rough is pretty dang rough. Long course takes a while to play through, not for a first time player thats for sure. Pro Shop at the course!!! That is awesome.
Cons: Is heavily played and isn't as beautiful as it used to be. Flow can be confusing.
Other Thoughts: I liked the old course before they took out the heavy deep woods holes.

1    2/7/2009   11/3/2009
Review By: FreddieC
Pros: Very scenic. Plenty of variety of shots. Beautiful rolling hills. Definitely a must play course in Cincinnati area.
Cons: Course layout can be confusing unless you know the course well.
Other Thoughts: Winter time is probably not the best time to try out this course - there was a lot of damage to the signs on the tees and to the bulletin board which kind of

1    10/21/2009   10/22/2009
Review By: Chainchaser
Pros: First thing is go to the lodge to find hole one. This was a bit of a problem. It took me a a while to find it.
This course was rather difficult for a newbie like me but I enjoyed all the same. It starts off with a nice par 5 or at least that is what hand written sign had said that went from a open field to the woods. Each hole on this course will challenge every shot you have. From dogleg left's and right's to overhands. Bring it all because you will need it or at least I did. The only thing i don't remember seeing where true tunnel shots. With the surrounding woods you figure they could have had a few. Hole 3 and the end of hole one was probably the closest thing to a tunnel shot I remember. I am trying to think of a stand out hole for me but really I don't remember any that caught my attention. Don't get me wrong though all the hole had chalenges to them and made for an exciting round of disc golf.
This course also has a pro shop but was not open when I was there. It also has a disc screen to practice drive. I am not sure if that is free or for instructional basis by the pro shop.
Cons: The biggest con I think is the proximity to the roads of a lot of holes. Being a lifelong resident of Cincinnati and actually hanging at this park when I was a younger man it seems they could have used the surrounding woods to a little more of their advantage than they did. I noticed some old tee pads in the woods and thought I had missed a hole but they were just that, old tee pads.
To get around on this course can be difficult for the first time user. Lack of direction signs and tee signs(select holes from vandalism) takes this course from a great one to a very good course for me. If you are going to this course for the first time go to www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com and print off a map it will save you some time and confusion.
Other Thoughts: This course could be a great course with a just a few minor aesthetic things done to it. If your in the cincy area though make sure to put it on the list to play. It definitely compliments Lincoln ridge and idlewild. Even with all it's faults though this course is definitely a must play

Another fun Cincy course

1    4/21/2009   8/13/2009
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a large park with rolling hills. There is a really nice mix of open grassy areas with scattered trees, and more heavily wooded areas with some brush off the fairways. Both types of terrain are used well to add variety to the course, and keep it interesting throughout. The design made good use of elevation, with uphill, downhill and cross-hill holes, along with some interesting greens that added some risks on putts.

There was a good mix of some holes that let you open up a little with shorter more technical holes. The course does a pretty good job of encouraging the use of different shots to score well. There is some punishment for errant shots, and accurate drives are rewarded here.

There were concrete tees, and most holes had signs with some hole information. The park was beautifully taken care of with nice grass and almost no trash. The park is beautiful, and it's always nice to play in such a scenic park. Though it wasn't open at the time, locals told us there is a pro shop which is always really nice to have at a course.
Cons: There were definitely some navigation issues here. Some holes have clearly been moved without good signage to direct players through the new layout. Many hole signs were vandalized or missing, which added a little to the navigation problems.

Some tees were cracked or broken, though all were at least level. Many had large drop offs to the ground which limited run ups and follow throughs. There were some spots where walking paths and roads were in play, and that meant a little bit of waiting for other park users on some tees.

Though there weren't any real bad holes on the course, I didn't walk away with vivid memories of specific holes like I did from Lincoln Ridge or Idlewild. The tee and sign issues along with the lack of real signature holes are what knocks this course below the other two for me.
Other Thoughts: This course is not all that beginner friendly. There aren't any short tees, and there are plenty of spots to lose discs on errant shots, and some difficulties with navigation. More experienced players will really enjoy the variety and challenges this course presents, and everyone will enjoy the natural beauty here.

If you are in the Cincinnati area, definitely make time to play this course. Any one of the top three area courses are worth a trip on their own, and if you can play two or all three of them while you're here you won't be disappointed by any of them. I'm always jealous of disc golfers in this area whenever I play here.

No-Nonsense Cincinnati Highlight

1    7/31/2009   8/7/2009
Review By: TheTennesseeFireman
Pros: Pro Shop- I got lost for a bit on the way in, assuming that the "lodge" was some random park building. I was sorely mistaken. Helpful staff and many shelves of discs, bags, etc are a sight to see for one who is used to the homegrown nature of disc golf.

Challenge- Mt. Airy seems to work well as a "barometer" course; you can always improve your score here. The distance can make the course very difficult at times, especially on the holes when the elevation change is minimal. Holes 1, 5, 15, and 17 in particular will test you. Recovery shots are particularly tricky as the deep woods will not let you out without a fight.

Incline- The elevation changes make this course what it is. Sweeping doglegs and downhill shots erase the otherwise average feeling you would get from many of these holes. You will have a better chance to air it here out than anywhere other course in the region.
Cons: Creativity- The major flaw with the course. While the course provides a variety of holes. Mt. Airy doesn't deliver when it comes to uniqueness. You can easily get away with throwing purely straight shots on many of the holes. The course is no-nonsense to a fault, with no significant hazards or "signature" elements.

Natural Beauty (Only slightly con)- While this is no fault of the courses, the Cincinnati woodland scenery is as a rule only moderately interesting. Woodland Mound's brevity works well with the format; at Mt. Airy, it occasionally feels dragged out. The closeness of the course to the park roads also brings it down slightly.
Other Thoughts: This course rewards talent in spades, and as close as it is to the city it should be appreciated as a great piece of parkland. This course has probably been made as good as it can be; however, it still falls short of true greatness.

Fantastic layout and challenge

2-4    7/13/2009   7/13/2009
Review By: crandellfamily
This review was updated on 7/17/2009
Pros: Every hole fits well in the overall design. Nothing seems artificial, extravagant, or out of place.

General features I like most:

Long holes that require different strategies: I have no power, but appreciate a course that rewards those who throw 300+ feet with control. At #1, the first shot should ideally stay high to the left, and at least crest the uphill for the tight dogleg right approach. The 17th has several roller coaster hills and trees to navigate. The 5th is long and essentially straight, and slopes down to the brush on the right. You need to stay left, and just keep going until you hole out. It was a bear for my most reliable left-right forehand.

Doglegs of various severity: several with generous landing areas, and a well-defined best line of play. The 15th begs for a long strong drive that stays safe on the high left side, but the fairway is wide enough to accept a bit of left-to-right drift.

Excellent basket placement, including the 1st and 17th: Others of note when I played - the 4th stands on a slight slope and gap in the woods. 11th is great for risk-reward. On a steep wooded slope that could drop all the way to a dry creekbed with bad enough luck. 13th basket to the far right maximizes the dogleg. 15th stands on the crown of a cleared hill, with the forest on all sides.

Again, the challenge: The 6th through the 8th provided about the only chance for a par without my best shotmaking. Of course that gives another clue to my limited ability. 15-17 are relentlessly tough closing holes. The 16th is relatively long and very tight, snaking through the woods. 18th offers a bit of a relief, but not much if the pin is back.

Great pro shop: lots of discs and a very friendly staff. There's a net set up outside to practice full throws - a big help given the immediate challenge of #1, and the number of people at the course.
Cons: Nothing too serious. This course isn't fancy like some. Simple signs. Most baskets are well-worn. Some of the cement tees are cracked, but somebody put in a lot of effort to get them level.

Only one set of tees, with almost no gimme holes. If you're not good, you should at least be good-tempered. I've already mentioned the challenge as a plus, but for some it would be a definite problem. I will not be taking my daughters to this one.
Other Thoughts: Lots of blind shots. It's essential to pick up a map at the pro shop, especially to get from basket to tee in a few cases. Experience should make a big difference in scoring. Wishful thinking for me.

Never played the previous layout, but the current setup seems great. Lots of mid-afternoon mid-week golfers when I was out, and nobody minded my wildness. No conflicts with non-golfers in the park area either.