Cincinnati, OH
Mt. Airy Forest Share
Uploaded By: sisyphus Hole #15 (Taken 7/2014)
3 / 460ft.   4 / 560ft.   4 / 560ft.   4 / 580ft. Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Decent multi-use park course

1    9/5/2016   9/6/2016
Review By: gcoghill
Pros: Clean, well-maintained course with friendly locals and of course the on-site pro disc shop! A decent course flow, and a decent variety of holes. Ample parking. Water faucet. Easy access off freeway. Good signage.
Cons: Most of the course runs around the perimeter of the park, along the roads. Some of the transitions are confusing. Non-exclusive land for the course. Lots of other park visitor traffic on the fairways.
Other Thoughts: This was a decent course in a multi-use city park. There wasn't anything particularly exceptional about the course save for the very cool pro shop on-site. The holes were challenging, and some were fun. None were particularly memorable.

The course plays so close to the park roads, as well as the other park activities, that I just found myself wanting to finish up my round as soon as possible. I prefer more seclusion when I play disc golf. There was none of that here.

There were no real technical challenges as the course never went back into the woods after the first hole.

The course is obviously well-maintained and cherished by the local players, which is a big plus. But that doesn't change the fact that at best the holes and course are what one would expect at any multi-use park course that takes the "road hug" design approach. There is nothing particularly unique or memorable about the course itself or any of it's holes.

I played Mt. Airy in between playing Lincoln Ridge and Osage Grove the same day on a road trip. I will make a point to play those courses again, and would go out of my way to play Lincoln Ridge. I wouldn't head back to Mt. Airy.

This is what a course should be

5+    8/23/2016   8/24/2016
Review By: UFM82
Pros: The more I play this course the more I like it. It has everything a course should have. A pro shop on site. Concrete tee pads. Great signage. Common sense layout. Garbage cans, benches, etc. Everything everyone wants is here. The setting is beautiful with big trees and rolling terrain. It's just pleasant to play here. The baskets are the best I've ever seen- painted, marked and they catch properly. No issues not knowing what basket you are throwing at. Overall a great course and one I like to call my home course even though it's not the closest to me. It's that good.
Cons: Only con is that it can be busy, especially on perfect summer weekends. And since it is a local park, you'll get everyone from closet pros down to families with little kids. Usually playing through isn't a problem unless you get behind someone who doesn't understand proper etiquette. But that normally isn't an issue.
Other Thoughts: This course challenges me as rec player with its various lines. Right bends, left bends, low ceilings, wood, brush, etc can all play parts in the round. There are easy par 3s, hard par 3s, reasonable par 4s and an evil par 4. This is a long course for the par 3s it offers. 380' through trees is a tough 3 for me. But the course is such a pleasure to play that I'll just keep at it. If you are in the area it is definitely worse the stop.

Mt. Airy Is Scary!

1    8/13/2016   8/16/2016
This review was updated on 8/22/2016
Pros: Sitting high above the city of Cincinnati is the disc golf course that is called Mt. Airy. Before starting your round, a visit to the pro shop is a must. It's a shame they don't stock advanced arms for sale, I couldv'e used one on the course. There you will find an awesome selection of discs, knowledgeable sales people and just about anything else disc golf related.

Right off, you can tell that this is a labor of love. There is the usual practice basket. Then there's a practice net to warm your arm up. You'll need it warmed up before and iced down afterward. And there is a basket set down a hill to warm up your mid-range shots. At the first hole you'll find a bench, nice tee signs giving you the usual information as well as a washer system indicating which position the basket is in at the moment.

Now is when reality sets in and you step up and see the basket is in the B position today, just 489' up a decent sized hill. I would describe Mt. Airy as relentless. It never lets you catch your breath. Hole after hole keeps the pressure on, both in the distance and in the challenging terrain and design. I was playing with local brothers, Tony & Kevin, they of the 400' drives, and to see them struggle at times made me wonder, what the hell am I doing on this mountain with my rec arm and tired old body. Thanks guys for letting me tag along on your round.

I really liked # 4, throwing over the ravine, but it's still a 400' hole. It would be so great to be able to play this course being able to throw 400'. The course is made for young, strong armed players. What a great challenge for them.

Cons: There's not much to complain about. I won't complain about this course being a little too much for us recreational types. I get tired of hearing better players complain that the little rec courses aren't challenging enough for them.

I guess the park's road come into player on a couple of holes.

The rough is nasty in a few places. I'm glad I was able to join up and play with other players. Those extra eyes helped finding discson more than one occasion.

If I'm being extremely picky, I'd say there's no water in play. Another thing, IMO, is Mt. Airy lacks that signature hole, one that players talk about over campfires and is passed on in awe from generation to generation. It has lots super challenging, world class challenging holes but not that awesome downhill bomb. Again, I'm being picky.
Other Thoughts: I've been really torn over my rating here and I'm usually very quick to decide. I'd love to give Mt. Airy a 4.25 because that's what I'm comfortable with but I guess, with some regrets, I'll give it a 4.0 rating, it is an excellent course with great challenge for those players Intermediate rated and above. Enjoy!

A must visit!

2-4    7/17/2016   7/18/2016
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: The Mt. Airy DGC is set in a great multi use park just outside downtown Cincinnati. Visit in the pro shop with a HUGE selection of discs, bags, accessories and other things to prepare for the round. The shop has great prices and the workers are great! Before you start there is a field with about 100 feet of grass to a practice basket, allowing you to practice upshots. Another basket is set up for putting as well with uphill, downhill and flat putts. Their is a driving net set up to warm your arm up your arm, which you will need! There are not many holes under 300 feet, requiring a driver for most holes. The course is very well designed and will require you to use every shot in your bag. The baskets are well kept and catch well. They are extremely visible painted red. The course is very well maintained, but has rough that can swallow discs! A great place to practuce everything that you need for a complete life of disc golf.
Cons: The biggest con for me is the fact that their is only one teepad per hole. This course will be very difficult for a beginner. As I said earlier, not too many holes under 300 feet. Their are alot of lefty friendly holes, which is good for a southpaw like me, but can get repetitive over time.
Other Thoughts: If I could give this course a 4.25 I would. I really enjoyed ny experience and look forward to coming back and playing again. The local club is awesome and I will most definitely reccomend this to anybody.

Great Place

1    11/20/2015   6/21/2016
Review By: Skeeter3
Pros: This course was great. It was well taken care of. Facilities on site were good. Awesome pro shop with nice and helpful staff! Good mix of shots. Holes were challenging but not too challenging for an recreational player. If we're ever in the area again, we will definitely be back and will recommend it to our friends traveling in the area.
Cons: I have no cons for this course!
Other Thoughts: Everything was great.

Stop in the Pro Shop....AWESOME Selection of discs!

First time player

1    5/25/2016   5/27/2016
Review By: Rlslavens2
Pros: It was our first time out playing and we were blown away by everything. We were greated by a nice man before we started and he was telling us a little bit about the course and the staff/volunteers that keep up the course. He even was nice enough to give us a few pointers before we started. The course was really well maintained and had great signs to let you know the hole layout. The course overall was groomed and had a good variety of hole layouts.
Cons: There was some poison ivy around the wedges and when you lost your frisbee in the woods you really had to look out for it.

Great park, good course.

1    6/21/2015   12/21/2015
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: 18 hole course located in a VERY nice park in Cincinnati, OH.

Great tee signs. Full color, large, and with every bit of information you could want. Really like that there was a pin indicator on each hole, and that they were actually being used.

Concrete tee pads, one per hole. Plenty long, wide, and grippy. No issues with these.

DGA baskets, in good repair and mounted well. Holes all had 2 or 3 basket placements on each, with relatively different lines for most. All caught just like you'd expect them to.

Lots of nice, rolling elevation. Many holes incorporated good uphill and downhill shots. Mix in the plethora of large, mature trees, and there were obstacles on every hole. Going off the fairways here usually results in an extra stroke, which makes for nice scoring separation.

Some more open holes, and some that were tighter and more wooded. Definitely a decent mix. Some good pin placements that made you think about running putts or laying up.

The Nati disc golf shop on site is a great touch. Super cool building, and all the gear you could want, including a nice selection of used discs.
Cons: We played the course in all long positions, and there was just too much of the same shot...left to right. Don't get me wrong, I actually love this shot, but I don't want to throw it on 75% of the holes on a course. I'd assume lefties love the longs. Looking at many of the additional pin placements, they just didn't seem to add much intrigue.

Navigation here gets a little weird in the middle here, around holes 6-8. You walk back over your path.

I wasn't a huge fan of all the shots playing really close to roads. As full as this place can get, I have to imagine that plenty of automobiles get plunked over the course of a season.

Other Thoughts: While this is definitely a nice course (in a super beautiful park), it just didn't have that "it" factor for me. I definitely can see how some people love it, though. Out of all the greater Cincy courses we played, it probably ranked 4th behind Lincoln Ridge, Osage, and Idlewild for me.

I'd definitely tell people to go play here and decide for themselves if they're in the area, but it wouldn't be my first choice. With that said, it's still a fun round of golf, and most people will have a great time here.

Very Fun Course

1    9/9/2015   9/9/2015
Review By: Jonny T
Pros: The Nati Pro Shop is fantastic. They have tons of discs and lots of great DG gear. The guys who run the shop are very helpful with lots of good info on the local DG scene. The had printed maps of the course, which was helpful for navigation, but was seldom needed. The course is well marked.

The condition of the course was impeccable. The grass and grooming was what I'd expect at a "traditional, ball-golf" course. Each hole looked very well designed with three pin placements for each hole, and a marking at each tee to show which pin was being played.

There were several tight shots and narrow fairways, that are mostly lined by dense forest. This was especially apparent on holes 1, 5, 10, 11, 15, and 16.

There was also a lot of elevation change, especially around the pins. I don't recall a single hole that featured a flat green, which led to lots of difficult up hill and down hill puts. Hole 8 was really the only hole that I'd say was somewhat simple, as it was fairly open and only about 240 ft downhill.

There are also lots of water stations with tap water available throughout the course.
Cons: I can't think of any cons. There were a few holes that were near some very dense woods, especially to the right of the 5th fairway. If you throw right of the fairway on the 5th hole, there's a good chance you'll never see your disc again.
Other Thoughts: This is a very fun and challenging course to play. The course was in excellent condition and it was easy to follow.

Feels like ball golf!

5+    11/1/2014   11/12/2014
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Excellently maintained course with a well stocked pro shop. Many different pin placements for all of the holes.

This course requires you to bring your best game. Missed putts will add up and there's not many short holes to deuce to catch back up.

Some of the most picturesque holes you will ever see (15 & 10)!
Cons: As previously mentioned in other reviews there is a long walk from hole 6's basket to hole 7's tee.

Mt. Airy Forest is not located in the best neighborhood either. Pack some heat. I've never had a problem, but I'm a bigger guy that drives a beat up old truck with nothing to steal.

Since the course was renumbered to start near the pro shop, starting on Hole 1 can be a rough way to go. I like to start on 14 (old 1). Seem to have my best rounds starting there.

I really get bummed out when Hole 10 and 15's baskets are in their other locations. These two holes are so awesome, I feel like they should never move. Throwing that rare perfect drive on hole 10 for the deuce keeps me coming back.

When everything is in the long positions, it'll wear you out!
Other Thoughts: Make sure to pay a visit to the Nati pro shop! I love the fact I can drop in and get a snickers in the middle of a round or a gatorade when I forget to stop at the gas station. Plus, they seem to have every disc known to man!

Mt.Airy my old home course

5+    7/22/2015   8/31/2014
Review By: Aestheticflight
This review was updated on 4/28/2016
Pros: Well designed course which is very challenging for all skill levels.

Most holes require power and control if hunting a low score. Many risk and reward holes which is the sort of golf I love.
If you attempt to make the long drive on many of these holes you had better retain control or a price will be paid.

On the other hand most holes are fair to the intermediate player as well with reasonable fairways if they don't get over ambitious and can retain control. Lots of opportunity to go astray and be punished for an errant throw.

Some world class holes here like #15, gorgeous challenging hole that just calls for you to crank a long throw, but don't go right side into the rough or you will be getting some extra strokes and might have to hunt for your disc and a good recovery shot.
#16 as well is very cool, but don't go off the fairway right, or left for that matter.
#1 is a great hole, uphill with the pin back in the woods protected.
I love the alt #4 (Old #7) what a great woods hole,
Then there is the green monster #5. Long curving to the right with very nasty rough to the whole right side. You don't want to go there believe me.
#13 is another good hole, big blind anhyser with some rough on the right side if you come in early.
Many,many great holes.....
If you choose to you can play conservatively , but if you decide to go for the holes and you are off, it will be a painful thing for you.

Great golf course. Nice elevation changes with good use of them. Multiple pin placements, a lot of holes have three. In the long positions Mt.Airy is a VERY challenging and interesting course indeed!
Cons: Gets busy now a days and can be slow because of that.
If you are a wild thrower with a big arm, you might have a very bad day here hunting for your discs. There certainly is rough enough to loose them.

This is the kind of course that will beat you down and wear you out if you are not on your game and take risks.

Way better to play here before late afternoon and the people show up. It can be busy then and often is.

Other Thoughts: The park is a Cincinnati treasure, it is old and large with lots of great woods and trails. It is the best course in Cincinnati and close to downtown.

There is a very well stocked Disc store by #1 and 18 called " The Nati", founded by one of the true greats of disc golf, Hall of famer - Fred Salaz (Of Idlewild,Ky renown ). A man I am proud to call my friend. He was a joy and a wealth of knowledge to play with and a man who has given much to the sport of DG and I thank him for his work for the sport.

I feel honored to have called this course my home course for many years, although it isn't necessarily the most fun course, it is a potent and good teacher and I love it and respect it. One of the Great courses of all Disc golf.

I once was speaking to Ken Climo in the 90's and he told me at the time it was one of his favorite courses. I am not sure if he still holds the record there or not. Something insane like a 47!
If you can shoot a 54 here you will feel very good about that I am sure.
Not many can do that very often.

In my opinion there are Three must plays in the Greater Cincinnati area: Idlewild, Northern Ky , Lincoln ridge, Northern KY (Old Banklick), and Mt. Airy forest Cincinnati,Oh.

There are many other good courses in the area.
Well worth a long Disc golf weekend road trip believe me.
It is a City park so bear that in mind with your behavior.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10