Cincinnati, OH
Mt. Airy Forest Share
Uploaded By: ImSchizoidMan Hole #7 (Taken 6/2009)

Is more Airy than Forest

1    5/3/2010   5/18/2010
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: This course is situated in a large urban park with grassy fairways that meander within the manicured areas of the park and skirt the forest briefly a few times without ever completely providing woods golf. The emphasis is on big arm power as most holes are more open than technical and length is rewarded moreso than precision. Those players who can throw 350+ will often be looking at birdies while the rest will be scrambling to make long approaches and deep putts to keep pace. Get your arm loose and break out the long distance drivers here. You still have to hit your lines and placement drives are required on a few of the longer holes but it is not nearly as punitive as Lincoln Ridge can be or Idlewild always is for missing your lines. Very well maintained park with elevation changes on the back 9. Your often weaving your drivers amongst sporadic hardwoods rather than dense woods here. Elevation is either downhill just enough to help your driver fulfill its flight path and not sharp enough uphill to cramp your distance too adversely. I particularly enjoyed #15, a multi shot hole dogleg R downhill 560 ft to a basket sitting atop a hill that looks like it was made by nature to be a DG green. I'm sure during world's top pros got to that green in one shot due to the attainability afforded by the 50 feet of elevation drop.Also fun was #16 a blind shot but employing a perfect wooded fairway that begs you to trust your strongest hyzer across a sloping bank and let the disc hone in on the wooded green 400 feet away. Many holes reward a player who can perform a long line such as long anhyzers on #5 & #13. So it's a big arm course but requires more loosely controlled drives over reckless bombing. Compliments the tighter Cinnci courses well with its big park like and open feel.
Cons: Too open for my tastes and not very well marked. Most of the front 9 plays too close to the access road with #2 actually throwing over it and #3 basically playing mando around a busy lot. #5 seemed such a waste as your trying to endlessly make that long right turn and the entire time your close to the road and seeing this amazing woods to your right with steep elevation drops and mature trees (Valley to valley hole anyone) instead your skirting the road and trees and forced to ignore what could have been some killer wooded holes to your right. After hole 6 you do have to backtrack to find hole 7. A few blind holes where you might not know where to throw to or where your disc landed. With all those woods nearby I wish there was some more use of the elevation and trees that seemed to be beckoning my attention as I plugged away in the open and at times mundane fields.
Other Thoughts: The best part of this course is the Nati DG store that serves as clubhouse and perhaps the center of the Cinncinatti DG universe. I never saw such a well equipped store and I was able to pawn off my old plastic in return for a brand new 80 dollar bag! If the store is open don't miss this one.

Airy is the pinnacle

1    5/14/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: Cobra165
Pros: Good, beautiful, memorable holes with moderate elevation change
Tough but fun (a GREAT combination)
Nice mix of short and long--a couple of easy deuces but also several holes where you are really able to let it rip
Awesome pro shop (not always open though--opened at 1 pm the day we played)
Driving pad with a huge net to throw into--very nice--have not seen that anywhere else
Benches everywhere!
Great picnic facilities
Ample parking
Good restrooms (or so my wife said)
Even the guy on the mower was helpful
Cons: Navigation from 6 to 7 (at least put up a sign so players don't wander aimlessly for 15 minutes)
A few too many tweener holes that give a serious advantage to long throwers
A few cracked teepads that made me worry more about my footing than shot execution (a couple are bad enough to cause a twisted ankle, and should be replaced)
Other Thoughts: Much of what I would say has already been said by Jarrod (I played the course with him).

Apparently the course has changed somewhat, since some of the photos don't match the holes we played. In fact, the photo for hole 7 makes me think that was a hole that had to be taken out, and I'm guessing that now accounts for the aforementioned navigational issue from 6 to 7 (there is a serious backtrack issue there).

I had no issue with the mando (probably because I hit it, whereas Jarrod did not). As long as it is plainly posted, which it was, then I consider that to be "local flavor." Could the hole be changed or even eliminated? Possibly, but then that could cause problems elsewhere.

Hole 1 is just beautiful, a true par 4 with nice scenery. Great way to start the round. Other memorable holes are 5 (which Jarrod 3'd, by the way--big arm), 10, 13, 15, and 17.

Break Out the Big Guns

1    5/14/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: Jarrod
Pros: Beautiful setting and well-manicured park that creates an excellent mix of open/wooded and long/short holes. This course will challenge every aspect of your game, especially your ability to control long-distance drivers - there are multiple holes with 400+ foot shots requiring careful turnovers and S-Curves.

Nice little pro-shop for when you finish the course. The help is friendly and knowledgeable.
Cons: There are a few navigational issues early on (I'm looking at you, hole 7) and the lack of markers for the next tee can be frustrating at times. A few tee signs do not always clearly depict a basket's location (ex: hole 17).

The course clearly favors people with big arms and the distances are such that people who can't throw much past 350 ft are left out a bit as they're always just out of deuce range on a lot of holes on the back nine.

There is a single hole early on with a completely unnecessary mandatory. I suppose that there are concerns with the parking lot nearby but really, this place has an unbelievable amount of land available - it shouldn't be that difficult to work in a different hole sans mandatory.
Other Thoughts: Mt. Airy is one of the top-notch courses in this area. With Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge being nearby, the three definitely form an awesome trifecta worthy of any serious golfer's attentions.

This course is stunning to look at and only suffers from minor issues that could be easily cleaned up with some small alterations. Excellent, excellent play.

Mt. Airy

5+    4/17/2010   4/26/2010
Review By: Ace1
Pros: One of the original World's courses. It is a very challenging course. Good for beginners but expect a higher number of throws. The course is rolling with numerous trees to challenge even the seasoned pro.

The course now has a pro shop where hole 1 is located. One can pick up discs, supplies, drinks and snacks.
Cons: Hole 5 is an almost impossible par 4 due the maturing trees along and in the fairway. A couple holes can get a little slippery with a little rain. A couple holes get close to picnic tables.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a very fun course. Mt.Airy in Cincy, Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild in Kentucky (just across the river) can make for a great and exhausting day of disc golf.

Must hit this one

1    4/24/2010   4/25/2010
Review By: Hitmetal
Pros: Long, beautiful forest, chains were just recently regalvonized. Proshop on site (need more courses with a proshop) Mix of open and tight fairways. Use of elevation was fun, making no look throws over hills and around ridges. The proshop,
"The Nati" has a huge selection of discs and equipment and a throwing net to practice putting or throw technique, and some pretty cool dudes running it to talk disc golf with.
Cons: Some sigange was missing and a little navigation complaint with the walk from 6 to 7.
Other Thoughts: Loved it. Great time, and tests all skills in throwing a disc.

Above average, but needs TLC

1    8/1/2009   4/23/2010
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: Loved the length. Aesthetically the park was pleasing and the grass was nicely kept.

The pro shop was very nice and carried a wide assortment of plastic. I picked up some Lat64 stuff that I've only seen online otherwise.
Cons: This is no longer a new course and it's showing it's age in places. Basket/teepad/sign improvements would probably raise my score to 4.0.

I'm not a huge fan of blind shots and this course has several. Maybe it's a matter of personal preference, but we spent quite a while looking for discs.

The layout doesn't flow well, and considering the renumbering of the holes, maps should definately be provided at the first tee.
Other Thoughts: With a little TLC I'd give this course a 4. That's a very solid course. If I lived in Cincy, I'd likely play this course quite a bit. Unfortunately, I don't live in Cincy, and whenever I make it up that way, Idlewild and Banklick rank higher on my priority list than Mt Airy does.

An average course that could be better

1    4/17/2010   4/20/2010
Review By: numbernine
Pros: - There are a ton of different shots on this course. Long and open, short and technical and everything in between.
- There is a pro shop on site. Though it was not open when I was there, this is always a bonus. They also had practice nets and pads set up near the clubhouse.
- Beautiful park! The course sits in the middle of a national forest and the course has amazing views.
- Concrete pads on every hole that seem to be in pretty good shape. 11 has a very unique elevated pad that makes for a cool shot coming out of the woods.
- This is a hard course over all. it is fair, but it is definitely tougher than your average course. you will get your face handed to you if you decide to take a risky shot and end up in the woods or down one of the bigger hills.
- TONS of elevation changes and blinds. this is probably the best part of the course for me.
Cons: - The baskets aren't in very good shape on most holes. The inside chains lay against the pole and the outside chains are very close to the pole. There were one or two exceptions to this rule, but overall they were not in good shape.
- The layout is just not great. There were quite a few times that I spent an inordinate amount of time searching for the next tee pad after I left the basket. In fact, the walk between 6 basket and 7 tee is so long that it feels like you're leaving the course. I missed 16 all together because I couldn't find it. the layout was so bad in fact, that none of the locals I talked to even knew were some of the holes were. I got a lot of "yeah, this used to be #1, but they've moved everything and didn't mark it."
- Very poor signage on most holes. I think on more than half of the holes either there was no sign on the tee pad, or just a sign that said what number you were on. this led to me walking out and trying to find the basket before I threw. and there are zero "this way to next tee" signs or arrows or anything to let you know where to go.
Other Thoughts: This is an average course that could really raise it's game with some very simple changes. Add some signs to the tee boxes, throw some directions out there and fix the baskets, and we're probably talking about a legit 4 star course.

you can see my video of this course here:

let me know if you dig the videos or whatever. I think it helps the review to see the course.

Mt. Airy

1    3/10/2010   3/10/2010
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: Very long and challenging course! It's set in a national forest and the area is basically exclusively used for disc golf. The forest is used very nicely and I'm sure is veeeeery pretty when fall and spring come around.
Some of the elevation changes are a lot of fun to shoot from. It requires more distance throws than any other course I've ever played! Definitely a course for bigger arms and experienced players.
Cons: I can't even begin to explain how muddy it was. The snow must have just melted or something because I was slipping and sliding all over the place.
Some of the holes are just a tad long for my taste, but other people may really like the challenge.
I think I normally would have given this course a 4, but the mud was really just unbearable and hurt the fun factor pretty significantly.
Other Thoughts: The Nati disc golf clubhouse is awesome! Definitely drop in and check out the discs and talk to the owners, they are really cool guys! The lost discs are really cheap as well if you need something.

One of my favs

5+    3/7/2010   3/9/2010
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 4/6/2010
Pros: The park is beautiful, just driving to the course is an enjoyable experience. Nice flora, excellent vistas and some of the best disc golf postcard holes in the game can be enjoyed here.

Several multi-shot holes provide good opportunities to demonstrate course management skills.

It's helpful to have good power here, but the course does demand a well rounded game to score well. A nice variety of holes will give you a chance to throw all the shots you know and you'll certainly have to scramble out of trouble at least once during the round.

The course is seasoned and well-maintained, which means that you're likely not to lose a disc unless you throw a very bad shot.

Mt. Airy is a great place for intermediate/advanced players to develop their games and will still make a pro work hard to go super-low.

There's a stocked pro-shop by the first tee.
Cons: Quite a few of the cement pads had major cracks.

The course could use one or two more sets of tees as it's a bit tough for new players.

As other reviewers have stated, it can be quite muddy at times, which is tough on the hills.
Other Thoughts: This course is challenging, both from the golf standpoint and the hiking standpoint. If that doesn't turn you off, then I'd definitely call Mt. Airy a "must play" if you're visiting the Cincinnati area.

Remember: Don't be a dirty disc golfer. If you pack it in, pack it out!

It was a muddy mess...

2-4    1/17/2010   1/18/2010
Review By: skottyb
Pros: I had played this course once before but never had the chance to give it a review. I don't like giving course reviews of just my one time first impression. Here goes after playing it twice. Mt Airy is situated nicely, hole 1 is right next too the Pro Shop (which was closed unfortunately but I understand) and it finishes almost exactly in the place it starts. The course had great flow too it, it demands accurate distance throws. A lot of hyzer flip shots are needed for RHBH players which I love. Distances are perfect, rewarding a nice drive and challenging you too make a good upshot/putt if you miss placement of your drive. Baskets are placed nicely to maximize the risk/reward factor.
Cons: The tee pads, some were great, others were cracked badly which made it difficult for a solid run up, which is needed on some holes. The course had just been put through a nice snow storm and I played it when the ground had thawed out so it was very muddy. Around the baskets could have used some wood chips or some drainage to prevent standing water. Again I don't consider this a con, heck I was the only player on the course at the time.
Other Thoughts: I love the distance shots on this course, most of the par 4s can be birdie'd, except maybe 5, and I was fortunate to take a 4 on that hole. It's tough. I love the course though and would definitely go out of my way to play it, I think I'd rather be over at Lincoln Ridge/Idlewild but if I had to come a little farther north then this course would be my top choice in the area. I love the pro shop thats there, can't wait to check it out when it warms up.