Huntersville, NC
Bradford Park Share
Uploaded By: Mortis Canyon Hole #9 (Taken 7/2013)

1    12/18/2013   1/7/2014
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The course has a nice amount of variety. About 2/3 is wooded, with some being very tight lines to hit (#9) but with most leaving a little room for error. There are a few pretty open holes as well. I liked the use of the cedar trees on holes 8 and 11, a little reminiscent of Maple Hill.

One of the better holes is #12, which begins with a drive from an elevated tee across a small valley to an open area before sweeping to the right. The second shot is tough, as you either lay up on the near side of a pond or go for the pin with danger in front and behind (a hill leading down to the woods). I'm still thinking about how I should have played this hole.

Elevation is moderate and comes into play on about half the holes. All holes have two tee pads, both concrete.

Navigation was easy, and I never consulted the map. The tee signs did a decent job of showing the contours of the fairway, but many of the holes are short enough that you can see the basket (from the short tees, anyway).
Cons: The alternate tee pads are almost always located right behind the short pads, so you don't get to throw more interesting shots, just longer ones (with a few exceptions). There are a couple that are way longer, though. About half of the extra 1000 feet from the long tees comes from just two holes: 8 and 18.

The distances on the tee signs can not be right. They seemed too high, but more to the point, there are times when the two tee pads are clearly within 30 feet of each other (front to front), and the tee signs show a distance of something like 60 feet.
Other Thoughts: The course is mostly pretty friendly to rec players who can throw fairly straight, but holes 12 and 15 feature a murky pond that is just waiting to eat a RHBH hyzer. I like the pond and the use of it, but just know that newer players could easily lose discs here.

Also, while I like the cedar holes, your only option is to throw right over them, and if you can't throw 350 feet, you are left with some awkward shots out. So these holes are a bit less rec friendly as well, for what it's worth. But I don't mind having to throw a thumber now and then.

This felt more secluded than many of the Charlotte courses I played, and I like the country feeling of it, including the nice wooden bridges with railings. If you are looking for a course that is not the championship-caliber beat down that some of the big courses in the area offer, this is one of the better options.

Great Course

2-4    6/9/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: NC-Tuc
Pros: Gotta Love Bradford! I fell in love with this course the first time I played it and will continue to play it as often as I can. It's a challenging yet fun course to play. There's flat holes, hilly holes, long holes, short holes, it's got it all. A very nice gem in Huntersville. I'm not a great player but I come out with a handful of pars on both sides! #9 is my favorite so far. Made par on it the first 2 times I played there. Cedar Alley is always fun. Very clean course with trash bags at every hole. Very nice Cedar benches to sit on too!
Cons: None!
Other Thoughts: Definitely a Must Play if your in the area. Can't wait to play it again!

Sometimes straightforward, sometimes insane

1    1/18/2013   1/18/2013
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 1/22/2013
Pros: + Variety of hole layouts - really dig playing into the woods, out of the woods, and back into the woods
+ Course was in decent shape even after heavy rains the week before we played
+ Some mighty fine teepads and easy to see Innova baskets
+ Classy end tables at some of the first holes to place your bag
+ Confidence building amateur tees
+ Scenery: mature w00ds, fields, a variety trees, awesome bridges all over the place... Really appreciated them bridges. No trolls, thankfully.
+ Next tee signs are always helpful and I appreciated the hole nicknames being written on them
+ Decent elevation change, super fun to throw over valleys and creeks (or cricks as my dad calls them)
+ Really appreciated the whiz palaces on hole 1 and 11
Cons: - The biggest downside for beginners was the little water hazards that, while cool, were positioned to MESS with you (5 holes with hazards)
- Drainage mudpit with sarlacc to the left of hole 3's fairway almost swallowed a disc, but was recovered barefoot
- A couple holes had mean and nasty bushes with huge thorns on them
- Did not like throwing next to the parking lot
Other Thoughts: Biggest take away point that I think you should know about is that the course, while known as an intermediate/advanced course, can definitely be a good learning course, too. It's hard, that's a fact, but not so hard that beginners won't have fun.

The environment was the absolute best part. It's secluded and out of the way of the other courses. There was no one around (early on Friday) and we had such a great time. My buddies had never played a full round of disc golf anywhere, and although Bailey was really nearby and is supposed to be the best course for a beginners, we chose Bradford because of recommendations on the DGCR forums. It was actually a really good course to teach on because Bradford has it all: straight holes, doglegs (both hyzerz and anhyzerz), long bombs, and short shots. We were all using brand new discs (Volt, Axis, and Anode each) and that was all we needed to feel well-equipped to battle the course. We did somehow lose one disc on 16 (red Neutron Anode to the left of the bridge, may have went into the stream as it was moving quite a bit after the rain), but we also had an adventure recovering one from the sarlacc mud pit on 3. In the end we all agreed we enjoyed this course immensely. It was a great course to learn judging each shot's risk and reward.

Bradford Belongs

1    12/31/2012   1/2/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Bradford Park in Huntersville NC is a very nice course and very much in line with the high quality of disc golf in the Charlotte area, and across North Carolina. Mixed into the course are different looks from elevated tees or baskets, water, woods with different varieties of trees in isolated areas, and versatile length on many holes with long and short tees. I played the short tees and still found the course very fun and challenging. I loved the layout, which was well marked and easy to follow. A short 9 hole loop is an option if you have to rush, but it would be hard to skip the inner circle to me. Wind and elevation added difficulty on the more open holes, and the fairways were always nicely defined in the woods. Some long holes, and some good birdie chances as well.

Located in a multi use park, most holes are out of the way from roads and other park patrons. Benches were abundant. The concrete tees are all nice and level, and the baskets are good too. Signs mark each tee box, and signs guide the transitions between holes also.
Cons: There were not a lot of trash receptacles on the course, but not entirely absent, and more could be added. Water was in play at several points, and could easily result in lost plastic from errant throws or bad rolls. Also some thick rough in places. Not the most beginner friendly course.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed Bradford Park immensely, and recommend a visit to any serious disc golf enthusiast who happens to be nearby. A great setting for a course, and very well executed. A bit of room for improvement, but excellent as is. Sort of reminds me of Redan or Deer Lick in ATL.

Great mix at Bradford

5+    7/15/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: #19325
Pros: This is a very fun course that is more open than many of the Charlotte courses that I played. Along with the open there are some awesome wooded holes with elevation coming into play. Water and OB comes into play on quite a few holes making it very challenging. There are some nasty putting greens too.

There are short and long concrete tees that were installed perfectly.

Brand new Innova Discatchers.

Tee signs were in great shape at the time I played and it was easy to navigate the course.

If you want to learn how to throw a mid range disc this is the place to do it. If you can master a 250 to 325ft mid range you can just destroy this course. About half the course fits into that category.

Hole #12 is an awesome par 4. It's an L shaped hole that recquires a solid drive to the corner. From there you have to make a great shot to a sloped green. One side has water and the other side is a large drop off. Great hole!!

Hole #3 is a great looking hole from the tee. It plays slightly downhill and it was on top of a HUGE boulder!

The course flows really well. There are no long walks and there is a stop by a restroom after hole #11.
Cons: I really liked the course but found myself throwing the same disc over an over. I threw the same Roc off the tee on holes 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, & 16.

I like hole #8 but I would not want to play that hole by myself from the long tee. After it leaves your hand it's very difficult to see where it lands. There is a good chance you can lose it in the many trees and rough in the fairway.
Other Thoughts: Just like all the other Charlotte Area courses this one is super fun and challenging.

The 41 that Michael Johansen shot at Pro Worlds blows my mind! The other top pros were shooting in the 46 to 50 range. Go try that from the long tees!!

Another great course

1    5/28/2012   5/29/2012
Review By: Voice of Reason
Pros: This was a really fun course to play. It was the second course I played that day and I am glad I made the trip to Bradford. The first thing I noticed was the nice Practice Basket and the brand new Innova Discatchers with hole numbers on them. I played the long tees and for the most part its not a huge difference. holes 2,8, and 18 were the biggest differences. while on the subject, HOLE 8 was the most unique open hole I have played in a long time. from the long pad, you have to throw over small cedars and hope you land in a good spot, then (if you can or if you are far enough down the fairway) you throw over some slightly taller pines. placement is everything, DO NOT GO LEFT. there is a mess of briars, poison ivy and other hazards if you go way left(speaking from experience). after that is "Cedar Lane" a fun tunnel shot with cedars all along the left side. There are lots of birdie opportunities here if you can throw straight, and lots of bogeys if you cant. I also loved the open hole with the downed tree. (15 i think) This was a really fun shot for a lefty backhand. as was 17. All in all I would say this course is one of the better ones in Charlotte.
Cons: Not many. The only thing I would change would be the tee signs. I really like to see a picture, or diagram of the hole, and just having the hole number, distance, and sponsors left a little to be desired. i guess most holes you can see the pin, but some you cannot. Really thats all I can say, the land was used well and I really enjoyed my self.
Other Thoughts: Keep it up. I am looking forward to playing some of the other courses before Worlds and hope they are as entertaining as this was.

Bring your guns

1    5/12/2012   5/21/2012
Review By: New013
This review was updated on 6/20/2012
Pros: I really enjoyed my round here, it gives you a full round of disc golf in a great setting.

Layout - The course is set up well so that it flows in and out of the woods to mix it up. The open holes really let you rip it and the wooded holes demand accuracy through gaps and placement around the basket. The fairways are also extremely fair in that the longer holes give you more room to operate while the shorter ones really pack it in.

The greens here are well placed, you'll really need to set your shot down in the right place to have a good putt. I'd say the course does a good job of creating risk/reward with nicely placed OB and punishing rough if you go offline.

I really like how the course uses the elevation in the park. Although more than few holes are relatively straighter shots you really don't notice it because each hole has a unique look to it.

Multiple teepads on some holes but both are definitely aimed at more experiened players which is nice in its on way. I played the shorts and was still given ample oppurtunity to bomb some drives.

Some of the holes have you throwing over topped cedar trees which throws a different aspect in to the course that you don't see on most courses.

Equipment - Brand new baskets and teepads; the teepads are large and close to the ground which is key when you have a long course like tihs. There's a bathroom and vending machine in the parking lot which you swing back around to near mid round.

Atmosphere - The park is a great place for disc golf, some really beuatiful holes out there. I love the cedars and how they are utilized. It's a pretty secluded place, not sure how much the park is used regularly but not many people were out there when I played it.
Cons: Not many cons to this one, and a few of those are really just because it's so new.

Layout - While the course does make you have length and accuracy it doesn't force every shot you have. More holes are straighter shots and that's primarily what keeps me from rating it higher.

I think the addition of more basket locations would really serve the course well to help mix things up even more.

Equipment - I don't think there were any benches or trashcans out there yet but it's new and that stuff will come. The signage is just numbers and with the long blind shots on some holes that could be a problem. I had a guide but I can see that being frustrating to people new to the course.

Atmosphere - The course still isn't beaten in that well and you can tell it's still a work in progress. I'd like to see the immediate rough off the fairway open up just a bit and that will come with wear.
Other Thoughts: I had a blast playing this course, it really sets up to what I like about disc golf. I love to get out and drive and this is a drivers paradise. Even the wooded holes let you rip some mids down the fairway.

Go play this course, your feet on the ground will only make it better and it's a great experience.

good times at bradford

5+    3/18/2012   3/18/2012
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: brand new concrete pads at all holes,a few holes have long tees as well. tee signs are nice and simple. the course is only a few months old but has a finished feel to it, its like its been here longer than it actually has. good mix of open and wooded holes, open holes are fun for big arms.. and the wooded holes are technical enough to even things out, the rough can be just that... rough...didnt see much in the way of trash, so people have been picking it up as they play...always good to see. every time i get back out there, something new has been done. the crew of workers doing the course work are busting ass...
Cons: location... not way out of the way, but enough that i dont seem to get up to huntersville, for the traffic in that area is horrible.really no big cons as far as the course goes...
Other Thoughts: this is a really great piece of land, and it is used well, great design...i cant wait to see what the longer open holes look like in 5-7 years...the charlotte area is truley blessed to have the amount of top quality courses at our dispossal

Be rad @ Bradford

2-4    3/6/2012   3/8/2012
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 5/18/2012
Pros: Really solid course. In terms of Charlotte, probably one of if not the most well-rounded course around. A little elevation, great tees, short holes, long holes, open holes, wooded holes, water in play, this course has a little of everything. It's like a smorgasbord of disc golf holes, a sampler.

The course flows really well, design is quite good as no two holes feel the same. Concrete tees and accurate tee signs give the requisite amount of polish. Feels like it would appeal to a wide range of skill levels as some holes definitely favor bigger armed vets but none really punish too much in terms of tight fairways or being rife with obstacles/OB.

The variety really stands out, it's a hard course to dislike b/c it's wooded enough to appeal to NC traditionalists and open enough to appeal to those that like to let'er rip.
Cons: This isn't a con so much as a warning: Hole #12 is a tough cookie to crack. You'll need some decent D (300' or so) to get to the bend of this fishhook. The drive is a good bit downhill so that's not too bad. The bend is pretty acute though so the farther your drive, the better. Here's where it gets rough. The basket sits on a modest finger of land with a nasty, brown reservoir to the left and a steep bank immediately right and behind it. So you're approach needs to be done with surgical precision. Tough but thinking man's hole that one.

I'm not usually a complainer of this but I think this course would greatly benefit from having a picture of the hole layout on the tee signs, especially for holes like 12.

Some of the long tees look dumb, like hole #2. It's just a wee bit longer but sits in a hole. Maybe I'm just biased against teeing off from inside a bunker.

I'm also not fond of using water catchment areas and reservoirs for well, water. They're just gross and ugly 8/10 times, purely an aesthetic con as design wise they're used well here.

Be wary of the creek on the back 9, it gets very deep like a gorge (elevation, not water depth) and if I had little kids with me I'd be worried about them falling in or off the many large boulders.

Other Thoughts: This course is very pretty, if more of it was like the holes on the back 9 with its gorgeous rocks and mountain creek, I'd be in love. The open holes kind of brought me back down to Earth.

After a 2nd time playing, I really appreciate the balance of the open to wooded more. Highly enjoyable round of golf.

It will be interesting to see how this course ages. The 2 holes that play over the forest of little cedar trees, for example, are basically just open holes but as they grow I swear it's going to be a wall b/w the basket and tee. There's lots of nice land here, so there's room for adapting.

Great new course

5+    3/2/2012   3/8/2012
Review By: jhargett71
Pros: Large Tee pads
Beautiful layout
Well groomed fairways
Large greens
Short and Long pads.. "big difference"

Cons: Needs better signage..
Other Thoughts: A true gem to add to a already amazing collection of courses in the Charlotte area. This one is a little different though. It seems like your in another state. Each time you walk to the next tee pad you are blown away. Each hole is different from the next. To me that make a great course. In time it will be the nicest in Charlotte..