Huntersville, NC
Bradford Park Share
Uploaded By: Schleppy Hole #5 (Taken 2/2012)
Hole #5 Long Tee

Beautiful Fall Foliage

1    11/9/2013   11/13/2013
Review By: rd.bittle
This review was updated on 11/18/2013
Pros: Absolutely Beautiful

Dual Concrete Tees
Great DisCatcher baskets
Great Tee signs (layout, length, number)
Navigation is easy with the "next tee" signs
Good Benches at every hole
Trash bags at each hole
Plenty of parking
Bathrooms/vending halfway (perfect timing)

Great use of the land
Variety of elevation change (up, down, flat)
Loved having to choose a flightpath. (Options)
Good layout balance (right, straight, left)
Distance variety was perfect (long, mid, short)
Some open, some into/through/out of the woods

Great course to work on your overall game.
Good for Intermediate to Pro players.
Makes you work on line-shaping, not just see who can bomb the farthest.
You'll use your whole bag to play well here.
Challenging in a fun way, not brutal

Well kept (thanks Schleppy)
Clear of trash
Trees and brush trimmed and shaped not just butchered to open a freeway to the basket
Baskets and Tees/teesigns in great shape
Stairs when you need them
Bridge when needed

Favorite Hole(s): 12, 16, 17
Cons: Very few cons

The parking lots at 1/18 and 12, if full, MIGHT create a safety/property hazard. (If your as bad a shot as me)
Would like to see Trashcans instead of bags (no big deal, I understand why)
Just a little nit-picky, but, playing through/over the field of small cedars (twice) is not preferable but you only have so much land/terrain to work with

--None of my cons are a big deal just barely enough to keep it from 5 discs.

Not really a con, but, in the fall play with brightly colored discs and save you and your cardmates the hassle of kicking through a lot of leaves looking for your disc.

Least Favorite Hole(s): 2, 8
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite kind of course. Challenging enough to test anyone, but fun and not a beatdown. I played horribly here but still had a blast. Some of this is probably because of the company I played with.

All in all I would consider this course a Must Play if you're in the Charlotte area. If traveling through or coming to Charlotte to play, put Bradford in your plans and you won't regret it.

I only played three courses in the area while here for work. Bradford is my favorite of them. Flag down Schleppy for a round or just to say thanks for all the work making Bradford a rewarding experience.

My disc rating is based heavily on "Fun Factor" which this course has tons of. I then bump it up or down a 1/2 disc or so for amenities or lack thereof.

PM me and let me know how I can make my reviews "more helpful."

Best in Charlotte Area

5+    10/30/2013   11/7/2013
Review By: Bergman Bomber
Pros: Bradford Disc Golf Course is everything you ask for in a disc golf course. Hard enough to challenge the best players but easy enough to take a rookie too. What makes this the best course in the Charlotte area is the "Signature" Holes. From Cedar Ally to the Rock Hole and the Snake Pit. All classic's in my mind. And great variety, open parkey holes to tight wooded shots. There is a small pond to maneuver around on a long Par 4 but is in a perfect position to the pin to either go for it or play it conseritaly. Bathroom and vending machines right around half way make a great stopping point before you go down the home stretch. A well maintained course with benches and garbage cans at every hole make it my favorite disc golf course.
Cons: Its hard to think of Cons for this course. Since I lost one here, it can be pretty difficult if you really let one get away from you to find, but for the most part not to bad. Highway 73 can be parking lot if you catch the traffic right, but what's not in this area. But as you can see not too much to complain about.
Other Thoughts: Giving a course a rating of 5 I think is almost impossible in my book but Bradford comes as close as you can. The park in it self is gorgeous and the uniqueness this disc golf course gives you make it the best around. If you are making a trip to Charlotte and consider yourself a disc golfer you must check out Bradford.

5+    11/2/2013   11/5/2013
Review By: JrodMan
Pros: I Love this course! It has a little bit of everything here. Hole 2 is just a bomb hole good for the players that have big arms. Hole 7 is a pretty narrow fairway througt the pine trees. Every hole is fun in its own way! The course is in great shape, most of the tee boexes have benches with garbage bags. Very easy to navigate with the tee boxes clearly marked.
Cons: Not very many Cons, maybe trash cans instead of just bags.
Other Thoughts: Overall really enjoy playing this course its very well maintained and just a great place to play!

You HAVE to come!

2-4    8/1/2013   8/1/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -This place rocks!! It's beautiful. It's the most beautiful course I have played! It's very family friendly and the course is truly a great experience and I'm coming back for sure!
-Great 28 chain baskets that catch well. There is also a practice basket on your way to #1.
-VARIETY!!! The cedar alley, some good elevation, rocks, an open bomb almost 500' feet, fun wooded holes, a gauntlet, several valley shots, and the most memorable par 4. I've played Ashe County and if you have played it, I know you remember #9 and #18, two extreme downhill breathtaking par 4's. Well the par 4 here, you will see something sick! EVERY hole has something unique and will leave you excited about the next one! Kilborne park has some fun holes but some were unexciting.
-The par 4. #12 rocks! It's an awesome 565' foot dogleg right. On your teeshot, you must rip your driver over 300' to get a straight second shot over the retention pond and you need a precise 250' anhyzer to get a 3. I parred it both rounds and felt like I could have birdied.
-Sweet sixteen. My "sweet" sixteen was three weeks ago when we traveled back from a mission trip in St. Louis. #16 at Bradford is a sweet downhill ace run with the basket out of the woods. It has two pin positions and it's in the long. I think there should be an "empty your bag" rule on that hole.
-#2 is the best open bomb I've played. It's the most scenic hole on the course as well. 460' foot par 3 sounds difficult but it's a straightforward hole. It's another "empty your bag" hole. Just rip it as far as you can, unless you can throw over 460 ft.
-Trash bags on some of the tees. There is a trash can on #8's tee.
-Great tee signs and diagrams! A tee diagram on #12 was needed so it wouldn't be hard to follow and maybe a few others needed tee diagrams of the fairway.
-This is close to downtown North Charlotte and had many places to go to. Many restaurants, department stores and a super target. The park is in a great neighborhood as well. Several courses in Charlotte are in bad neighborhoods. Like West Charlotte.
-#18 finishes by the parking lot and is close to #1. #18 from the short and long are different holes but share the same basket and fairway. The short is a straight shot and the long's tee in the woods and plays out through a different opening and plays as a dogleg left!
-Doubles on Friday nights out here! That means I can come out here on Fridays when I can!
-I played two rounds here! I played the first one solo and the second with Schleppy and his friends Jonathan, Steve and Joe! Schleppy's kind enough to guide you here and it's always fun to play with Schleppy. We played the shorts and Schleppy shot a 51!! I shot a 58 while Jonathan shot 55 and Steve shot 59 and Joe is a really good recreational player! So yea! The second round was much funner!
-Soda machines and bathrooms on the transition from #11 to #12. I ran 7 miles the day I played and then played here and needed fluids.
Cons: -It was hard to find any. #18 from the short's tee shot is over very tall grass so you will need to throw something that doesn't go with green.
-#12's second shot is fun and all but you won't be happy if you lose a disc in the retention pond. Or should I say the "Chocolate milk pond?" First round, I threw my starfire in there and wanted a better shot SO IT TURNS OUT MY BEAST IS IN THERE TOO! OUCH!
-"Cedar alley" it's very fun and interesting but #11 has a high lost disc possibility if it goes to the right, you should be okay but left, it might be gone.
-Most importantly. Schleppy found a 10 dollar bill in the middle of #11's fairway. I should have found it because I played a round there before the five of us played. That grinds my gears. Here's a helpful tip "Look for money as hard as you look for discs." I think Schleppy agrees with that statement.
Other Thoughts: -Bradford is a very, very, very fun course! It's such a shame shame shame that I didn't play here 18 months ago because I was desperate to play it for that long. You will find 18 great holes here with at least a third of them really standing out! This is definitely the best course designed by Stan McDaniel and so many other people including Schleppy and BraveThrower43 being a big help maintaining it and being a part of designing it. Easily something that you should play whenever you can, I could've at least twenty times and blew it by playing something else or settling which is never fun. Don't settle when it comes to disc golf in general. Don't ski, go to a hockey game or sit on the couch if you love the game.
-I said "This hole is awesome" on quite a few holes with 2, 12 and 16 standing out and there were couple I didn't love as much but every hole here has something fun to it and I really hope to go to doubles here soon!! I never got that birdie on #12 and thought I would and I know that I will someday!
-There are so many signature holes and the ultimate was #12! I call this a signature course as it is one of the most asthetically pleasing and it's in my top 3. Taking the second slot which knocks RL Smith to the third! The main point of this review is to tell all you readers to play this course! Really you can just read BennettUA's review because he nailed it. I just had to get my thoughts out here!

Best maintained course in Charlotte

5+    7/20/2013   7/31/2013
Review By: BennettUA
Pros: **DO NOT JUDGE THIS COURSE BY THE PICS! These are older pics -- many before teepads were installed, and before the course had matured and worn in to the sharp condition it is in now**

Bradford is a near ideal disc golf course in my opinion.

WHOAH. That's a BIG statement. Especially in the disc mecca that IS Charlotte. Allow me to explain.

The park itself is new and clean. Park is very safe, Huntersville is a nice area. Big restrooms with good soap and Vortex air hand dryers. Vending machines stock Coke products and Powerade. Also nice to have restroom in the middle of the course rather than at the beginning or end(hole 11 plays right up to one). Ample parking so long as there's not a base/softball tournament.

As for the course itself ---
My ideal course design can be summed up in three simple words: "challenging, but fair." Bradford is exactly that. The course is not easy by any stretch, but birdies are possible on every hole with a good shot, which is how I feel a course should be scored.

As for "fair" -- This course does not have any "luck" trees, meaning if you pure a drive down the center of the fairway, you're not going to hit a tree that's smack in the middle of the perfect line. The same can NOT be said about many courses in the area.

One of my favorite design features that largely goes unnoticed at Bradford is that it has more BALANCE than an Olympic gymnast. Evenly matched for straight, left-, and right-turning holes, uphill vs downhill, and blended very well --- the longest holes are separated by shorter ones, no back-to-back hard turns in either direction off the tee, etc.

Knowing Charlotte has very little elevation, the use of the land by Stan and Schlep MUST be appreciated.
For such a young course, Bradford feels well worn-in. This is largely due to the relentless, near daily upkeep by Schleppy. For instance, hole 8 -- a beautiful shot through the cedars -- but just two short years ago anything that didn't land on the green required a search party through briars surrounding the cedars. Hard to imagine if you see it now. Even harder to believe it's in such incredible shape after just two years of installation.

Benches -- nice, new, cedar, and on every. single. hole.

Innova Discatcher baskets.

Signage is excellent, distances are accurate.
Navigation is great as well -- there is some signage, but even without it, you should be able to find the next tee with ease.

I also love to feel alone in the woods when I'm playing disc golf, and Bradford delivers on that as well. Very little noise here, save for the soccer/baseball fields when in use, but these never come into play with the disc golf course. Feels very much like a private course. We've seen a few small lizards and snakes, some deer, even heard some coyotes howling in the distance one night in the spring during a glow event.

BEAUTIFUL. Some very memorable tee shots and pin placements here. Growing cedars line the fairways through the middle of the course, with a fantastic set of gap shops on holes 8 through 11.

Hole 12 is easily one of the best holes in Charlotte. (Again, I appreciate full well the weight of such a statement.) From either the short or long tee, your drive is a placement shot of 325-350'. To the left is OB road; to the right is punishingly dense woods that assures an extra stroke. The second shot turns right and plays between 200-260' to a pin perched atop a small crest of a sloping hill -- to the left, an OB retention pond -- to the right, more dense woods. The hill makes for tough putts from most anywhere -- if you're near the pond, you're putting slightly uphill, and a missed putt will send you down the hill toward the woods. If you're near the woods, you're putting uphill about 10', and a missed putt could put you in the pond. Birdies are common with both a good drive and an accurate upshot, but only with both.

Concrete teepads = good pooridge(not too big, not too small). Always a big plus to have two teepads at any course. Some of them here make for longer shots, but many do make for a much different golf experience, especially #8.

Course was used for 2012 Worlds, and is part of tourneys such as The Carolina Clash, Powerade State Games, and more. The Bradford Open will see its second year this fall.
Cons: Not a knock on the course itself, but when there's a base/softball tourney, parking near #1 can be tight, and sometimes a soccer mom will park too close to #18's basket.
Also, if there is a soccer tourney, some cars may come into play on the drive for hole #12, but it takes a big event to get them overflowing off the parking lot, which is OB anyway.
Other Thoughts: One of if not THE best maintained course in Charlotte. Schleppy is working his disc golf baby nearly every day, even carries a pair of hand shears in his bag to trim briars and branches off as need be.

To sum it up, my highest-rated courses are:
-- challenging but fair,
-- clean,
-- private by feel of play, and
have that little something extra, so you REMEMBER the course instead of just logging on to DGCR and checking it off your list.

I've played well over 50 rounds here, and I play it more than any course in Charlotte despite being 40 minutes away.

There's a reason for that.

In fact, there are 18 of them.

Schedule a round and see what the Bradford fuzz is all about. You'll likely find Schleppy out there, mowing/weed eating/pulling/picking/playing/loving his little slice of disc golf heaven.

good course

5+    6/15/2013   6/17/2013
Review By: jared18
This review was updated on 6/23/2013
Pros: Great course i Love to play this course you can tell people clean it up! There are benches on every hole and they seem to place the baskets in great spots too! There is no trash at all with trash bags on every hole(:! It is very clean and you can find some discs! People there are very nice and it is in a great area so you will feel safe. And there is also water just before the par 4 with a bathroom
Cons: There are not any cons at all all of the grace is cut and it is ready for the summer season!
Other Thoughts: The course is in a Great location the people are nice there are trash cans on every hole! And you feel safe while you are there there is water on your way to the par 4 there is also a bathroom. I feel this course is in tip top shape and is updated and i love to play here a real fun place to play at!

A park course that's scenic??

1    4/21/2013   4/26/2013
Review By: mx23ang
Pros: Starting off I like to let everyone know what Im personally looking for in a course. I love the scenic aspect of disc golf (this includes boulders, lakes, wildlife, and plantlife- I do study horticulture). With that being stated, I rate a course based on a combination of the scenic factor and the overall course aspects (this includes layout, fairway lines, divesity of holes, and amenities)
Wow for just outside a residential area what scenery! Boulders, well kept grass fairways in the open, and very well defined lines throughout the wooded holes (Which mix three types of forests perfectly)
I love how this course meanders the player through a middle aged hardwood forest, a cedar grove, then back into the open all in just holes like 7-10. Amenities are top-notch also.. Benches on every hole (many of which are handcrafted from cedar logs) Great tee signs(both giving the line and signs directing you to the course and next hole), huge concrete pads, etc.
This course is very well taken care of and you can tell as there is few to little trash on the property.
One thing that got me going (in a good way) about this course is the designers amazing use of natural features. Like hole 3 has a beautiful boulder filled green next to a creek and then you make your way through an Autumn-Olive patch where sweet smells await the golfer if they get off the fairway. This grove separates holes 3&4 by a barrier of pungent vegetation (awesome design and incorporation!)
Cons: Nothing really major at all, just a minor few nit-picky stuff. I like how there were trash bags on every hole, but trash bins/cans would be a little nicer.
Other Thoughts: The fun factor is very high here. The course is challenging enough to keep advanced players on their feet but fair enough they can score. I love this course and will most certainly be back!

Course that grows on you as you play it

5+    4/16/2013   4/17/2013
Review By: jksenior
Pros: Excellent mix of birdie holes, tough 3's and a few 4's.

Good mix of open and tight shots

My favorite holes are:
9: nice cedar lined tunnel shot
16: good downhill shot through trees, rocks, over a creek.

Has a nice option to cut from 4 to 14 to play a 9 hole loop
Cons: Just a couple of minor things:
Two of the "long" tees are gravel and will likely be completed in the future (1, 2)

Ponds are dirty - don't throw in them

Deep hole on 16 by the rocks - would be beneficial to cover up.
Other Thoughts: The first time I played it I was only OK with it, but as I've played it more and more it definitely ranks with the top courses in Charlotte.

If playing alone, I suggest not playing long 8 for risk of losing a disc in the "cedar alley"

My area favorite...

5+    12/27/2012   12/31/2012
Review By: Trackerdude
Pros: Fantastic course!! Awesome variety of shots, some open, some wooded, some elevation, some water...a touch of everything. Any night of the week you can see improvements being done.

There is a public restroom with water fountain just past the halfway mark...very handy for refilling water bottles.

There is also a 9 hole option incorporating the first few holes and the last few holes that is a seemless transition if you are short on time or can squeeze in 27.

Cons: While holes 8 and 11 are unique with the "Cedar tree farm" feel, it is helpful to send a spotter upfield as discs can get intercepted by the trees or lost in the underbrush.
Other Thoughts: This has become our "go to" course during the week.

New Mecklenburg Gem

1    12/26/2012   12/26/2012
Review By: Toro71
Pros: --I'm a sucker for this type of layout, schizo, with a little of everything. Tough, line-dependent wooded holes. Open holes with bomb potential, yet you must consider landing areas. Like a safari, you move through several different areas w/r/t terrain, look, feel. Holes that feature elevation. Couple of water hazards. Just fun.

--8 and 11 play over 'cedar farms.' The trees are short enough now to go over, but someday they'll have to think about the design of these holes, which is intruguing to me.

--Long vs.Short layouts done right...really changes the complexion of the course, rather than simply adding D.

--Fairly easy navigation, given the two layouts. Well marked transitions.

--Good tee pads and Discatcher baskets. Benches/bridges/trashcans, etc. Bathrooms between 11 and 12. Not in a "shady" area, so parking lot etc don't feel 'iffy.'
Cons: --Some good opportunities to lose discs on a few holes...8 from the long tee is the classic example. First time through, it's a good idea to eyeball where the short tee is, since that's the recommended landing area from the longs. 12 has a lttle pond that seems so innocent, but has swallowed 2 of my discs.

--if there's a big baseball/softball day at the park, sometimes cars will be right up against 18s basket, which can give me the yips.

--if you're unused to course nav, there are a couple of places where it might be challenging...just look for the arrows. some painted on road, some transitions marked by colored "tape" or "ribbon."

--There are a couple of holes where not being able to carry 300 ft might prove frustrating, but none are impossible.
Other Thoughts: This course was new for worlds this summer, and I think it's an instant classic. Right off the interstate, it's accessible for a "drive-by." Even when it was dirt tees and un-brush hogged, it was great, and CDGC did a great job with the finishing touches. A must play for a Charlotte swing.