Huntersville, NC
Bradford Park Share
Uploaded By: Schleppy Hole #6 (Taken 8/2011)

1    7/24/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: themanlevan
Pros: I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I definatly plan on playing it again soon. Has the ability to play a quick nine hole loop or play the full 18.
Cons: the chocolate milk river on two of the holes. Actually claimed one of my friends discs.
Other Thoughts: My home course isn't amazingly nice so nicer courses always seem better but if your in the area at all, definitely worth a play

I Played the Course and the Course Won

1    7/22/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: What's not to like about this course? It's a challenge, it's well-groomed, it's typical Charlotte disc golf. Throw straight and be rewarded. Throw off-line, and you will pay.

I played the Sunday after Worlds, so the signage was still in great shape. Tee signage was great, Next Tee signs were in place and came in handy a few times. Walking trails were worn in -- this didn't look like a pretty new course to me. It has the look and feel of a course that has been there a while.

I love that there is a nine-hole loop you can play. I really wish more courses were designed with this in mind -- I understand you can't always end the 'front nine' at the parking lot, but there are ways to create a nine-hole layout.
Cons: I wish there were water jugs on the course.

OK, that's just so I can have a 'con'. Seriously, I loved this place, and I can't think of anything I didn't like that wasn't really my own poor play.
Other Thoughts: I was expecting a crowd, the Sunday after Worlds, but I guess everyone was burned out (or nursing a hangover or something), because the course wasn't full. I played through two groups, and they really weren't holding me up at all (the first group I was actually following so I knew where the lines were, since they seemed to be locals). Cedar Alley is going to be brutal in a few years when those trees get bigger (it was bad enough this year!!). #12 beat me up and stole my lunch money.

Found out this year that I can do 36 holes on Sunday while the family is shopping; next year, I may have to go for 54 and see if I can do North Cabarrus (warm up), Bradford, then Reedy Creek. Or maybe by then I'll have another favorite Carolina course.

A great addition to Charlotte

2-4    7/14/2012   7/23/2012
Review By: DiscBunny
Pros: Bradford is a baby, at only a year old, but plays like a much older course. A great blend of open and wooded holes, especially for Charlotte where it seems like trees and more trees are the norm. We played here as part of the 2012 worlds and were impressed with the signage, gorgeous benches at each hole and the overall condition of the course.

2 pads on many holes, lots of diversity for righties and lefties.

Also, as a lady golfer, I appreciated that there was a rest room half way through the course, as well as before the first tee.
Cons: Hole #8 "Cedar Alley" isn't really an alley. Its more a glade-o-cedar-frisbee-death or a xmas tree farm. It's interesting but very easy to loose a disc in the long grass or even in one of those darned trees.
Other Thoughts: I cannot imagine what Michael Jo did to shoot a 17 down here. epic. Can't wait to come back and play again.

Another great course

1    5/28/2012   5/29/2012
Review By: Voice of Reason
Pros: This was a really fun course to play. It was the second course I played that day and I am glad I made the trip to Bradford. The first thing I noticed was the nice Practice Basket and the brand new Innova Discatchers with hole numbers on them. I played the long tees and for the most part its not a huge difference. holes 2,8, and 18 were the biggest differences. while on the subject, HOLE 8 was the most unique open hole I have played in a long time. from the long pad, you have to throw over small cedars and hope you land in a good spot, then (if you can or if you are far enough down the fairway) you throw over some slightly taller pines. placement is everything, DO NOT GO LEFT. there is a mess of briars, poison ivy and other hazards if you go way left(speaking from experience). after that is "Cedar Lane" a fun tunnel shot with cedars all along the left side. There are lots of birdie opportunities here if you can throw straight, and lots of bogeys if you cant. I also loved the open hole with the downed tree. (15 i think) This was a really fun shot for a lefty backhand. as was 17. All in all I would say this course is one of the better ones in Charlotte.
Cons: Not many. The only thing I would change would be the tee signs. I really like to see a picture, or diagram of the hole, and just having the hole number, distance, and sponsors left a little to be desired. i guess most holes you can see the pin, but some you cannot. Really thats all I can say, the land was used well and I really enjoyed my self.
Other Thoughts: Keep it up. I am looking forward to playing some of the other courses before Worlds and hope they are as entertaining as this was.

Bring your guns

1    5/12/2012   5/21/2012
Review By: New013
This review was updated on 6/20/2012
Pros: I really enjoyed my round here, it gives you a full round of disc golf in a great setting.

Layout - The course is set up well so that it flows in and out of the woods to mix it up. The open holes really let you rip it and the wooded holes demand accuracy through gaps and placement around the basket. The fairways are also extremely fair in that the longer holes give you more room to operate while the shorter ones really pack it in.

The greens here are well placed, you'll really need to set your shot down in the right place to have a good putt. I'd say the course does a good job of creating risk/reward with nicely placed OB and punishing rough if you go offline.

I really like how the course uses the elevation in the park. Although more than few holes are relatively straighter shots you really don't notice it because each hole has a unique look to it.

Multiple teepads on some holes but both are definitely aimed at more experiened players which is nice in its on way. I played the shorts and was still given ample oppurtunity to bomb some drives.

Some of the holes have you throwing over topped cedar trees which throws a different aspect in to the course that you don't see on most courses.

Equipment - Brand new baskets and teepads; the teepads are large and close to the ground which is key when you have a long course like tihs. There's a bathroom and vending machine in the parking lot which you swing back around to near mid round.

Atmosphere - The park is a great place for disc golf, some really beuatiful holes out there. I love the cedars and how they are utilized. It's a pretty secluded place, not sure how much the park is used regularly but not many people were out there when I played it.
Cons: Not many cons to this one, and a few of those are really just because it's so new.

Layout - While the course does make you have length and accuracy it doesn't force every shot you have. More holes are straighter shots and that's primarily what keeps me from rating it higher.

I think the addition of more basket locations would really serve the course well to help mix things up even more.

Equipment - I don't think there were any benches or trashcans out there yet but it's new and that stuff will come. The signage is just numbers and with the long blind shots on some holes that could be a problem. I had a guide but I can see that being frustrating to people new to the course.

Atmosphere - The course still isn't beaten in that well and you can tell it's still a work in progress. I'd like to see the immediate rough off the fairway open up just a bit and that will come with wear.
Other Thoughts: I had a blast playing this course, it really sets up to what I like about disc golf. I love to get out and drive and this is a drivers paradise. Even the wooded holes let you rip some mids down the fairway.

Go play this course, your feet on the ground will only make it better and it's a great experience.

1    4/19/2012   4/19/2012
Review By: jkdisc
This review was updated on 10/24/2013
Pros: Bradford offers a nice mix of disc golf. There are wooded and open holes, and long and short holes. There is some up and down elevation that is used.

Other Pros:
- practice basket
- perfect concrete tee pads
- adequate tee signs
- easy to navigate (there is a post at the base of #2 pointing you toward where #3 is now located)
Cons: I have no major complaints.

Nit Picks:
- the grass was long on the open holes and the dew soaked my feet
- the pond on #12 was chocolate milk colored but I'm sure wasn't as tasty

Seriously, those are my only complaints.
Other Thoughts: #12 was my favorite hole because of the risk/reward. For 1st timers, I recommend walking the hole before throwing to get an idea of where the elevations and pond are located.

Bradford is another solid addition to an already disc golf rich area.

EDIT: I will be coming back soon to re-evaluate this course, this has been my least helpful review to date and I'm not sure why. I am sorry for any information I have gotten wrong. I've been told my rating is too low for some of your taste, does the rating really matter to some of you?

good times at bradford

5+    3/18/2012   3/18/2012
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: brand new concrete pads at all holes,a few holes have long tees as well. tee signs are nice and simple. the course is only a few months old but has a finished feel to it, its like its been here longer than it actually has. good mix of open and wooded holes, open holes are fun for big arms.. and the wooded holes are technical enough to even things out, the rough can be just that... rough...didnt see much in the way of trash, so people have been picking it up as they play...always good to see. every time i get back out there, something new has been done. the crew of workers doing the course work are busting ass...
Cons: location... not way out of the way, but enough that i dont seem to get up to huntersville, for the traffic in that area is horrible.really no big cons as far as the course goes...
Other Thoughts: this is a really great piece of land, and it is used well, great design...i cant wait to see what the longer open holes look like in 5-7 years...the charlotte area is truley blessed to have the amount of top quality courses at our dispossal

Be rad @ Bradford

2-4    3/6/2012   3/8/2012
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 5/18/2012
Pros: Really solid course. In terms of Charlotte, probably one of if not the most well-rounded course around. A little elevation, great tees, short holes, long holes, open holes, wooded holes, water in play, this course has a little of everything. It's like a smorgasbord of disc golf holes, a sampler.

The course flows really well, design is quite good as no two holes feel the same. Concrete tees and accurate tee signs give the requisite amount of polish. Feels like it would appeal to a wide range of skill levels as some holes definitely favor bigger armed vets but none really punish too much in terms of tight fairways or being rife with obstacles/OB.

The variety really stands out, it's a hard course to dislike b/c it's wooded enough to appeal to NC traditionalists and open enough to appeal to those that like to let'er rip.
Cons: This isn't a con so much as a warning: Hole #12 is a tough cookie to crack. You'll need some decent D (300' or so) to get to the bend of this fishhook. The drive is a good bit downhill so that's not too bad. The bend is pretty acute though so the farther your drive, the better. Here's where it gets rough. The basket sits on a modest finger of land with a nasty, brown reservoir to the left and a steep bank immediately right and behind it. So you're approach needs to be done with surgical precision. Tough but thinking man's hole that one.

I'm not usually a complainer of this but I think this course would greatly benefit from having a picture of the hole layout on the tee signs, especially for holes like 12.

Some of the long tees look dumb, like hole #2. It's just a wee bit longer but sits in a hole. Maybe I'm just biased against teeing off from inside a bunker.

I'm also not fond of using water catchment areas and reservoirs for well, water. They're just gross and ugly 8/10 times, purely an aesthetic con as design wise they're used well here.

Be wary of the creek on the back 9, it gets very deep like a gorge (elevation, not water depth) and if I had little kids with me I'd be worried about them falling in or off the many large boulders.

Other Thoughts: This course is very pretty, if more of it was like the holes on the back 9 with its gorgeous rocks and mountain creek, I'd be in love. The open holes kind of brought me back down to Earth.

After a 2nd time playing, I really appreciate the balance of the open to wooded more. Highly enjoyable round of golf.

It will be interesting to see how this course ages. The 2 holes that play over the forest of little cedar trees, for example, are basically just open holes but as they grow I swear it's going to be a wall b/w the basket and tee. There's lots of nice land here, so there's room for adapting.

Great new course

5+    3/2/2012   3/8/2012
Review By: jhargett71
Pros: Large Tee pads
Beautiful layout
Well groomed fairways
Large greens
Short and Long pads.. "big difference"

Cons: Needs better signage..
Other Thoughts: A true gem to add to a already amazing collection of courses in the Charlotte area. This one is a little different though. It seems like your in another state. Each time you walk to the next tee pad you are blown away. Each hole is different from the next. To me that make a great course. In time it will be the nicest in Charlotte..

Radford (yes that was intentionally spelled Radford)

1    2/15/2012   3/4/2012
Pros: 1) Nice large concrete tees are always appreciated.

2) There is a practice basket near the parking lot and the 1st tee.

3) Tee-signs have Hole #, par, distance and hole sponsors. Unfortunately there was no map, but most of the holes are self explanatory (see also cons).

4) This course seems to be the furthest along in terms of infrastructure. They have really nice bridges and it looks to me like they did them right!

5) #'d discatchers are in good shape and helpful for some of the more wooded holes. Even on the more open holes I can appreciate just how good these baskets look.

6) Bathrooms, soda machine, and a water fountain (bubbler for you Wisconsinites) on the 12th hole.

7) Dual tees on some holes which makes the holes play a whole lot harder if you play the longs. Most of the longs are simply additional distance . . . but #18 is truly a different hole from the long tee.

8) Lots of Cedar trees in a few places along the course and many of you may know that these are some of my favorite trees for disc golf courses.

9) There is a very nice variety here, ranging from a couple of more open shots, plenty of moderately wooded holes and a couple more densely wooded holes. Having holes play differently through the course really makes the whole experience just that much more enjoyable. I think this is probably the #1 factor in my desire to come back here. It isn't over the top and extreme like so many of the other courses in Charlotte, but it is solid and fun to play.

10) #12 is simply a great hole . . . it plays almost like a double dogleg as you want to lay your drive straight out or slightly left to give yourself a shot towards the baskets which is about at a 100 degree turn to the right and is protected by a pond on the left and a steep dropoff to the right which will leave you at 30' or more if you go to that side of the basket. It is simply the first time I have ever seen this kind of combination on a hole and I really appreciate the design that went into this hole.

11) There is a pretty good mix of birdieable holes and those that will challenge you to make par (or end up with a bogey). I like balance that makes you shoot right around par as opposed to so many courses where you are pushing double digits under par. Sure there is a value in the game for courses that allow you to make a ton of birdies . . . but this type of setup makes the course feel a whole lot more like it is part of a championship or something. Par is something that should be strived for, not something that you can laugh at when you destroy a course (under par).

12) Moderate elevation changes on this course . . . nothing too extreme again but the slopes and elevation change definitely affect your shot selection.

13) Another unique hole idea appears on #10 . . .the rock hole. Basically they slapped a 5-6' diameter boulder right in front of a basket. It is a short hole so the challenge is minimal but you better make sure you are on the right side of the boulder or you will have tough putt because the boulder is s tall as the basket basically. I was short of the basket but was fortunate enough to have a look up and over the basket. It all came down to the flight of the disc and I nailed the putt for birdie. Don't mess around with this boulder, throw it right, throw it left, or throw it past the basket . . . but please don't do what I did and leave it short (thankful I made the putt anyways but I know I left my drive on the only bad side of the boulder.
Cons: 1) No maps on the signs which would be helpful on a couple holes where the baskets are not visible from the tee.

2) No garbage cans that I can remember on the course. I didn't feel like the course was messy because of it but I generally would like to see at least a few around the course in easy to reach areas for the parks department.

3) I really didn't like the evergreen tree nursery hole. It was almost completely luck whether or not you had an upshot or not. Sure I almost got to the end of the trees, but I lucked out to have a simple turnover upshot to the basket. I just don't think that this hole seems fair because you may or may not know where the little pockets of openings are.

4) There seems to be plenty of spots that will suffer from compaction and use. Hopefully alternative baskets and education will keep people from dooming this course to the old standard compaction and erosion.
Other Thoughts: All in all another solid course. I am giving the course 3.5 rating which I think is about where it will settle out, once all the amenities are in, the teepads are done, and the peripherals are completed. It doesn't quite live up to the top in the area but it would be a solid course in many places (like Milwaukee . . . bring it on over). It's biggest asset . . . its variety. It will appeal to the masses like those that want a challenge but not too much. The general public would be all over this course if it was right in the metro area, and they still may be out in the suburbs, but access is everything.