Huntersville, NC
Bradford Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #1 (Taken 12/2014)

1    4/19/2012   4/19/2012
Review By: jkdisc
This review was updated on 10/24/2013
Pros: Bradford offers a nice mix of disc golf. There are wooded and open holes, and long and short holes. There is some up and down elevation that is used.

Other Pros:
- practice basket
- perfect concrete tee pads
- adequate tee signs
- easy to navigate (there is a post at the base of #2 pointing you toward where #3 is now located)
Cons: I have no major complaints.

Nit Picks:
- the grass was long on the open holes and the dew soaked my feet
- the pond on #12 was chocolate milk colored but I'm sure wasn't as tasty

Seriously, those are my only complaints.
Other Thoughts: #12 was my favorite hole because of the risk/reward. For 1st timers, I recommend walking the hole before throwing to get an idea of where the elevations and pond are located.

Bradford is another solid addition to an already disc golf rich area.

EDIT: I will be coming back soon to re-evaluate this course, this has been my least helpful review to date and I'm not sure why. I am sorry for any information I have gotten wrong. I've been told my rating is too low for some of your taste, does the rating really matter to some of you?

good times at bradford

5+    3/18/2012   3/18/2012
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: brand new concrete pads at all holes,a few holes have long tees as well. tee signs are nice and simple. the course is only a few months old but has a finished feel to it, its like its been here longer than it actually has. good mix of open and wooded holes, open holes are fun for big arms.. and the wooded holes are technical enough to even things out, the rough can be just that... rough...didnt see much in the way of trash, so people have been picking it up as they play...always good to see. every time i get back out there, something new has been done. the crew of workers doing the course work are busting ass...
Cons: location... not way out of the way, but enough that i dont seem to get up to huntersville, for the traffic in that area is horrible.really no big cons as far as the course goes...
Other Thoughts: this is a really great piece of land, and it is used well, great design...i cant wait to see what the longer open holes look like in 5-7 years...the charlotte area is truley blessed to have the amount of top quality courses at our dispossal

Be rad @ Bradford

2-4    3/6/2012   3/8/2012
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 5/18/2012
Pros: Really solid course. In terms of Charlotte, probably one of if not the most well-rounded course around. A little elevation, great tees, short holes, long holes, open holes, wooded holes, water in play, this course has a little of everything. It's like a smorgasbord of disc golf holes, a sampler.

The course flows really well, design is quite good as no two holes feel the same. Concrete tees and accurate tee signs give the requisite amount of polish. Feels like it would appeal to a wide range of skill levels as some holes definitely favor bigger armed vets but none really punish too much in terms of tight fairways or being rife with obstacles/OB.

The variety really stands out, it's a hard course to dislike b/c it's wooded enough to appeal to NC traditionalists and open enough to appeal to those that like to let'er rip.
Cons: This isn't a con so much as a warning: Hole #12 is a tough cookie to crack. You'll need some decent D (300' or so) to get to the bend of this fishhook. The drive is a good bit downhill so that's not too bad. The bend is pretty acute though so the farther your drive, the better. Here's where it gets rough. The basket sits on a modest finger of land with a nasty, brown reservoir to the left and a steep bank immediately right and behind it. So you're approach needs to be done with surgical precision. Tough but thinking man's hole that one.

I'm not usually a complainer of this but I think this course would greatly benefit from having a picture of the hole layout on the tee signs, especially for holes like 12.

Some of the long tees look dumb, like hole #2. It's just a wee bit longer but sits in a hole. Maybe I'm just biased against teeing off from inside a bunker.

I'm also not fond of using water catchment areas and reservoirs for well, water. They're just gross and ugly 8/10 times, purely an aesthetic con as design wise they're used well here.

Be wary of the creek on the back 9, it gets very deep like a gorge (elevation, not water depth) and if I had little kids with me I'd be worried about them falling in or off the many large boulders.

Other Thoughts: This course is very pretty, if more of it was like the holes on the back 9 with its gorgeous rocks and mountain creek, I'd be in love. The open holes kind of brought me back down to Earth.

After a 2nd time playing, I really appreciate the balance of the open to wooded more. Highly enjoyable round of golf.

It will be interesting to see how this course ages. The 2 holes that play over the forest of little cedar trees, for example, are basically just open holes but as they grow I swear it's going to be a wall b/w the basket and tee. There's lots of nice land here, so there's room for adapting.

Great new course

5+    3/2/2012   3/8/2012
Review By: jhargett71
Pros: Large Tee pads
Beautiful layout
Well groomed fairways
Large greens
Short and Long pads.. "big difference"

Cons: Needs better signage..
Other Thoughts: A true gem to add to a already amazing collection of courses in the Charlotte area. This one is a little different though. It seems like your in another state. Each time you walk to the next tee pad you are blown away. Each hole is different from the next. To me that make a great course. In time it will be the nicest in Charlotte..

Radford (yes that was intentionally spelled Radford)

1    2/15/2012   3/4/2012
Pros: 1) Nice large concrete tees are always appreciated.

2) There is a practice basket near the parking lot and the 1st tee.

3) Tee-signs have Hole #, par, distance and hole sponsors. Unfortunately there was no map, but most of the holes are self explanatory (see also cons).

4) This course seems to be the furthest along in terms of infrastructure. They have really nice bridges and it looks to me like they did them right!

5) #'d discatchers are in good shape and helpful for some of the more wooded holes. Even on the more open holes I can appreciate just how good these baskets look.

6) Bathrooms, soda machine, and a water fountain (bubbler for you Wisconsinites) on the 12th hole.

7) Dual tees on some holes which makes the holes play a whole lot harder if you play the longs. Most of the longs are simply additional distance . . . but #18 is truly a different hole from the long tee.

8) Lots of Cedar trees in a few places along the course and many of you may know that these are some of my favorite trees for disc golf courses.

9) There is a very nice variety here, ranging from a couple of more open shots, plenty of moderately wooded holes and a couple more densely wooded holes. Having holes play differently through the course really makes the whole experience just that much more enjoyable. I think this is probably the #1 factor in my desire to come back here. It isn't over the top and extreme like so many of the other courses in Charlotte, but it is solid and fun to play.

10) #12 is simply a great hole . . . it plays almost like a double dogleg as you want to lay your drive straight out or slightly left to give yourself a shot towards the baskets which is about at a 100 degree turn to the right and is protected by a pond on the left and a steep dropoff to the right which will leave you at 30' or more if you go to that side of the basket. It is simply the first time I have ever seen this kind of combination on a hole and I really appreciate the design that went into this hole.

11) There is a pretty good mix of birdieable holes and those that will challenge you to make par (or end up with a bogey). I like balance that makes you shoot right around par as opposed to so many courses where you are pushing double digits under par. Sure there is a value in the game for courses that allow you to make a ton of birdies . . . but this type of setup makes the course feel a whole lot more like it is part of a championship or something. Par is something that should be strived for, not something that you can laugh at when you destroy a course (under par).

12) Moderate elevation changes on this course . . . nothing too extreme again but the slopes and elevation change definitely affect your shot selection.

13) Another unique hole idea appears on #10 . . .the rock hole. Basically they slapped a 5-6' diameter boulder right in front of a basket. It is a short hole so the challenge is minimal but you better make sure you are on the right side of the boulder or you will have tough putt because the boulder is s tall as the basket basically. I was short of the basket but was fortunate enough to have a look up and over the basket. It all came down to the flight of the disc and I nailed the putt for birdie. Don't mess around with this boulder, throw it right, throw it left, or throw it past the basket . . . but please don't do what I did and leave it short (thankful I made the putt anyways but I know I left my drive on the only bad side of the boulder.
Cons: 1) No maps on the signs which would be helpful on a couple holes where the baskets are not visible from the tee.

2) No garbage cans that I can remember on the course. I didn't feel like the course was messy because of it but I generally would like to see at least a few around the course in easy to reach areas for the parks department.

3) I really didn't like the evergreen tree nursery hole. It was almost completely luck whether or not you had an upshot or not. Sure I almost got to the end of the trees, but I lucked out to have a simple turnover upshot to the basket. I just don't think that this hole seems fair because you may or may not know where the little pockets of openings are.

4) There seems to be plenty of spots that will suffer from compaction and use. Hopefully alternative baskets and education will keep people from dooming this course to the old standard compaction and erosion.
Other Thoughts: All in all another solid course. I am giving the course 3.5 rating which I think is about where it will settle out, once all the amenities are in, the teepads are done, and the peripherals are completed. It doesn't quite live up to the top in the area but it would be a solid course in many places (like Milwaukee . . . bring it on over). It's biggest asset . . . its variety. It will appeal to the masses like those that want a challenge but not too much. The general public would be all over this course if it was right in the metro area, and they still may be out in the suburbs, but access is everything.

A little bit different than the average Charlotte course..

1    12/26/2011   2/21/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Excellent mix of open and wooded.
Plenty of elevation, both uphill and downhill.
Literally almost brand spankin' new discatchers.
Solid mix of shots required to have a good round here.
I personally find the thick trees along the fairways a pro, as long as you hit your lines, you don't have to worry about it being a con : )
Cons: When I was there( two months ago) I can't remember any big flaws, maybe a lack of trashcans and benches.
Other Thoughts: Per usual my pros and cons sections suck, so I'm just going to tell you what to expect playing the course.

Lots of cool holes on this track, hole sixteen is one of the cooler holes i've seen in a while, definitely my favorite one on the course. A shorter hole, straight downhill with a tight gap, with water coming into play at the bottom, very cool view from the top.

Hole 12 is another one of my favorites, cool par four with water left of the basket, and a steep rollaway green to the right of it, be patient and play it smart.

This course blends everything almost seamlessly, a nice mix of distances and hole shapes, it's always nice to be able to use every disc in your bag, and I definitely did that here.

When I played there wasn't concrete tees, and I haven't looked at the other more recent reviews to see if there are now...alright i just did, there are now teepads which makes this course even more excellent.

I feel like this is one of the more balanced courses surrounding the Mecca. Definitely one to play if you're nearby, and as I got to play with a whole bunch of locals, this course will only improve.

Mix of everything

2-4    2/19/2012   2/19/2012
Review By: bjfergus21
Pros: When you drive by Bradford Park for the first time you see a basket on a rugged looking hill, a big open field, and lots of trees You will also see softball fields and a playground and you think to yourself "is this course worth it?" That's what I thought when I stumbled upon this course in suburban Charlotte. I decided to try it out not realizing it was new. The first few times I thought, this course has potential with cement tees in the works. Those are in on all holes as of last week and it makes this course one of the best I have played. There is a mix of wooded holes, tight fairways, elevation, and open holes. There is even some water that can drown your discs as well. The front nine has a mix of wooded to open shots and wide open shots. I like #2 because it gives you a chance to launch a disc as far as you can. The use of terrain throughout the course is great too; there are downhill shots, throws that go around large rocks, and even unique throws over small bushes on two holes that are like anything I have seen on a disc golf course. The signature hole on the course is #12 which is 500+ feet dog-leg right with a large dead tree as an obstacle and water coming into play on your second shot. I think with the new additions of cement tee-pads this course overall is one of the best in Charlotte. And it is a must play for someone who wants a challenge, or is just playing for fun.
Cons: As much as I praised the course above I do have to say there are some cons to the course as well. It is still rugged and throughout some of the wooded portions there are holes in the ground you could turn your ankle in if you aren't looking. Also, in some spots there is standing water after a hearty rain that will be in the middle of the fairway. I assume in the summer the course won't be as fun to play because of the the amount of insects that will be flying around. Lastly, for more advanced players some of the holes may seem short, but dual tees are in place on many holes on the course.
Other Thoughts: There is plenty of parking for the course, they have a practice basket, and the the course doesn't get too crowded, but enough people come by and play so it's not empty. It is still a little bit rugged but it has come light years from when I first played it months ago.

5+    1/25/2012   1/25/2012
Review By: xcrunner134life
This review was updated on 3/16/2012
Pros: Good distances
great mix of short and long holes, wooded and open holes, and use of elevation
Each hole has a sign with distance to basket
Cons: when it rains, things don't dry out well.
Could get a little lost, no maps of course (but the course does flow pretty well)
Good luck finding your disc if you land in the hole-12 pond
Other Thoughts: There are plans to add more long tees (from what I'm told). This is a very enjoyable course to play.
For me, Holes 13 & 14 are difficult to traverse since I'm a stay at home dad and I usually am pushing a stroller.
Even with the fallen trees on these holes, they have cut parts of them out so that people can get through.

Fun course on the northside

2-4    11/20/2011   11/24/2011
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 7/4/2014
Pros: Bradford park is a solid addition to the Charlotte/Mecklenburg County disc golf scene. It's not the most challenging of courses (maybe it will be once all the long layouts are finished), but offers an enjoyable, refreshing, change of pace.
- Course is suitable for casual to intermediate-level players. From the short tees, only two holes are longer than 375 feet, with 14 of the 18 in the 200 - 310 foot range. If you can throw accurately, you're going to see your share of birdies, or at least avoid high scores. There's also the open field on #2, as well as the soccer field near #12 & 12 that give you a place to practice throwing.
- It begs you to be aggressive and shoot a low score. Fairways aren't tight on the wooded holes (think Reedy Creek) nor are the woods overly thick, so even if you hit a tree with your tee shot, you should usually have a chance to save par. Even on #8, if you miss a "landing zone," you still will be able to advance your shots forward. 5 years from now as some of those tree get bigger, this may not be the case.
- It has a good variety of holes - from wide open holes to wooded, holes with water to ones with some decent elevation. There are also some hole layouts that are unique to other Charlotte-area courses. #9,10 & 16, the three shortest holes on the course, all had very cool layouts.
- Solid use of the limited elevation that's available. #10, 16 & 18 have the most "extreme" elevation, but plenty others use it well. For example, #4 is a slight downhill, 305 foot hole with basket nestled by a large rock and a small creek.
- Course is almost completely isolated from the rest of the park, so very little chance of running into others. Only places where there could be issues are: #11 (behind basket), #12 (road on left side of fairway) & 18 (parking lot behind basket). I felt like I was out in the country in the back of the course. So much so, in fact, that when I stepped into the opening from #7 to #8, my first thought was that it'd be a great place to camp. That is if parks & rec let you camp on DG courses.
- Course is very "November" friendly. There are some wooded courses around Charlotte (Kilborne, Nevin, Stumpy Creek amongst others), and probably everywhere, where you can lose discs in the fairway with all the leaves on the ground. When I played this the first time in late November, I was impressed that the wooded holes were easy to play, and locate discs, with all the leaves on the ground. The only think leave area I noticed was behind and to the right of #17's basket.
Cons: You have your typical "work in progress" issues here, so you can understand those. The biggest issue had nothing to do with that.
- Retention ponds/large puddles that comes into play on #2, 3, 12 & 15. I had issues with them on a variety of fronts. They're way too close to baskets, and come into play a lot more than they should. On #2, if you're just a little long, you're going to end in the water; on #12, if you're slightly left of target, you're in the mud puddle. That doesn't even include any disc that may roll down the embankment into the water. The water is brown and murky, so even if your disc is in a couple inches of water, or just a foot or two in, you're not going to see it. If your course is designed to attract beginners/casual players, chances are they're not going to be the most accurate of throwers, or carry many discs. You should never have a high "lost disc factor" on a beginner-friendly course, at least not that close to a basket. A simple barrier, or fence, even to stop discs from rolling in, would go a long way to helping.
- There are a lack of amenities throughout the course - trashcans, benches, water fountains or bathrooms. There a bathroom behind #11, but I don't know if it's always opened.
- Tee signs need to be improved. They're only hole number and distance. I had to walk a couple holes to find the basket before throwing.
- Other basic new courses include: dirt tee pads, better signage needed between holes (and to the first hole) and an updated course map.
Other Thoughts: Bradford remind me a lot of Sugaw, both in difficulty level and layout. Just like Sugaw, and Reedy Creek, it's a good course to bring newbies to. Other than the water holes (listed in the cons), there aren't any real blow-up holes, where you could easily shot double or triple bogey if not careful.
- As the course keeps getting improved, I'd like to see more holes with true risk/reward elements. The average player could play it safe here and shoot 18 pars in a row, without facing much danger.
- I think #4 could be an awesome hole if the basket was placed 40 feet back, on top of the big rock. It'd bring the hole further back into its nook and bring small creek into play (there's no lost disc factor with the creek), which could add risk/reward with stroke penalties.
- #9 was a fun, potential ace hole. It's a 200 foot, straight hole, with big trees running along the entire left side of the fairway. Basket is just left of center enough, that you can't throw it straight off the tee, or you'll hit one of the trees.
- This is definitely a good change of pace course. It's not far from Bailey, so you could hit up two beginner/intermediate-level courses. If you don't mind sitting through the traffic snarl on NC 73, this is worth checking out.

An Emerging Gem

1    11/13/2011   11/13/2011
Review By: The Ox
Pros: Luckily, I had the honor of playing this course for the first time with the course designer (Stan McDaniel). The park contains old grow trees and has many picturesque holes. All tee pads are marked with easily visible signage which includes length and par info. The property gives way to a mix of wooded and open holes, allowing players to truly test their skills. Elevation changes come into play on a number of holes, but are fair, fun, and rewarding when you make that birdie !
Cons: Although concrete tee-pads are not installed, this is a VERY new course and they will be poured in the near future (but on the plus side: all the dirt tee-pads are level and marked). If you live in Charlotte, especially on the South side, it may be a bit of a drive (but it's worth it, this course is a gem). Water comes into play on a few holes, so bring some cheap plastic, just in case.
Other Thoughts: This course will played in the 2012 World's and is surely a destination for anyone that lives in the Charlotte area. Stan has done a wonderful job of creating a beautiful landscape which will be appreciated by anyone who visits. This course was easily one of my favorites played so far.