Huntersville, NC
Bradford Park Share
Uploaded By: Schleppy Hole #12 (Taken 8/2011)
4 / 565ft.   4 / 565ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #12 Tee: OB road left.

Course that grows on you as you play it

5+    4/16/2013   4/17/2013
Review By: jksenior
Pros: Excellent mix of birdie holes, tough 3's and a few 4's.

Good mix of open and tight shots

My favorite holes are:
9: nice cedar lined tunnel shot
16: good downhill shot through trees, rocks, over a creek.

Has a nice option to cut from 4 to 14 to play a 9 hole loop
Cons: Just a couple of minor things:
Two of the "long" tees are gravel and will likely be completed in the future (1, 2)

Ponds are dirty - don't throw in them

Deep hole on 16 by the rocks - would be beneficial to cover up.
Other Thoughts: The first time I played it I was only OK with it, but as I've played it more and more it definitely ranks with the top courses in Charlotte.

If playing alone, I suggest not playing long 8 for risk of losing a disc in the "cedar alley"

Sometimes straightforward, sometimes insane

1    1/18/2013   1/18/2013
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 1/22/2013
Pros: + Variety of hole layouts - really dig playing into the woods, out of the woods, and back into the woods
+ Course was in decent shape even after heavy rains the week before we played
+ Some mighty fine teepads and easy to see Innova baskets
+ Classy end tables at some of the first holes to place your bag
+ Confidence building amateur tees
+ Scenery: mature w00ds, fields, a variety trees, awesome bridges all over the place... Really appreciated them bridges. No trolls, thankfully.
+ Next tee signs are always helpful and I appreciated the hole nicknames being written on them
+ Decent elevation change, super fun to throw over valleys and creeks (or cricks as my dad calls them)
+ Really appreciated the whiz palaces on hole 1 and 11
Cons: - The biggest downside for beginners was the little water hazards that, while cool, were positioned to MESS with you (5 holes with hazards)
- Drainage mudpit with sarlacc to the left of hole 3's fairway almost swallowed a disc, but was recovered barefoot
- A couple holes had mean and nasty bushes with huge thorns on them
- Did not like throwing next to the parking lot
Other Thoughts: Biggest take away point that I think you should know about is that the course, while known as an intermediate/advanced course, can definitely be a good learning course, too. It's hard, that's a fact, but not so hard that beginners won't have fun.

The environment was the absolute best part. It's secluded and out of the way of the other courses. There was no one around (early on Friday) and we had such a great time. My buddies had never played a full round of disc golf anywhere, and although Bailey was really nearby and is supposed to be the best course for a beginners, we chose Bradford because of recommendations on the DGCR forums. It was actually a really good course to teach on because Bradford has it all: straight holes, doglegs (both hyzerz and anhyzerz), long bombs, and short shots. We were all using brand new discs (Volt, Axis, and Anode each) and that was all we needed to feel well-equipped to battle the course. We did somehow lose one disc on 16 (red Neutron Anode to the left of the bridge, may have went into the stream as it was moving quite a bit after the rain), but we also had an adventure recovering one from the sarlacc mud pit on 3. In the end we all agreed we enjoyed this course immensely. It was a great course to learn judging each shot's risk and reward.

Bradford Belongs

1    12/31/2012   1/2/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Bradford Park in Huntersville NC is a very nice course and very much in line with the high quality of disc golf in the Charlotte area, and across North Carolina. Mixed into the course are different looks from elevated tees or baskets, water, woods with different varieties of trees in isolated areas, and versatile length on many holes with long and short tees. I played the short tees and still found the course very fun and challenging. I loved the layout, which was well marked and easy to follow. A short 9 hole loop is an option if you have to rush, but it would be hard to skip the inner circle to me. Wind and elevation added difficulty on the more open holes, and the fairways were always nicely defined in the woods. Some long holes, and some good birdie chances as well.

Located in a multi use park, most holes are out of the way from roads and other park patrons. Benches were abundant. The concrete tees are all nice and level, and the baskets are good too. Signs mark each tee box, and signs guide the transitions between holes also.
Cons: There were not a lot of trash receptacles on the course, but not entirely absent, and more could be added. Water was in play at several points, and could easily result in lost plastic from errant throws or bad rolls. Also some thick rough in places. Not the most beginner friendly course.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed Bradford Park immensely, and recommend a visit to any serious disc golf enthusiast who happens to be nearby. A great setting for a course, and very well executed. A bit of room for improvement, but excellent as is. Sort of reminds me of Redan or Deer Lick in ATL.

My area favorite...

5+    12/27/2012   12/31/2012
Review By: Trackerdude
Pros: Fantastic course!! Awesome variety of shots, some open, some wooded, some elevation, some water...a touch of everything. Any night of the week you can see improvements being done.

There is a public restroom with water fountain just past the halfway mark...very handy for refilling water bottles.

There is also a 9 hole option incorporating the first few holes and the last few holes that is a seemless transition if you are short on time or can squeeze in 27.

Cons: While holes 8 and 11 are unique with the "Cedar tree farm" feel, it is helpful to send a spotter upfield as discs can get intercepted by the trees or lost in the underbrush.
Other Thoughts: This has become our "go to" course during the week.

New Mecklenburg Gem

1    12/26/2012   12/26/2012
Review By: Toro71
Pros: --I'm a sucker for this type of layout, schizo, with a little of everything. Tough, line-dependent wooded holes. Open holes with bomb potential, yet you must consider landing areas. Like a safari, you move through several different areas w/r/t terrain, look, feel. Holes that feature elevation. Couple of water hazards. Just fun.

--8 and 11 play over 'cedar farms.' The trees are short enough now to go over, but someday they'll have to think about the design of these holes, which is intruguing to me.

--Long vs.Short layouts done right...really changes the complexion of the course, rather than simply adding D.

--Fairly easy navigation, given the two layouts. Well marked transitions.

--Good tee pads and Discatcher baskets. Benches/bridges/trashcans, etc. Bathrooms between 11 and 12. Not in a "shady" area, so parking lot etc don't feel 'iffy.'
Cons: --Some good opportunities to lose discs on a few holes...8 from the long tee is the classic example. First time through, it's a good idea to eyeball where the short tee is, since that's the recommended landing area from the longs. 12 has a lttle pond that seems so innocent, but has swallowed 2 of my discs.

--if there's a big baseball/softball day at the park, sometimes cars will be right up against 18s basket, which can give me the yips.

--if you're unused to course nav, there are a couple of places where it might be challenging...just look for the arrows. some painted on road, some transitions marked by colored "tape" or "ribbon."

--There are a couple of holes where not being able to carry 300 ft might prove frustrating, but none are impossible.
Other Thoughts: This course was new for worlds this summer, and I think it's an instant classic. Right off the interstate, it's accessible for a "drive-by." Even when it was dirt tees and un-brush hogged, it was great, and CDGC did a great job with the finishing touches. A must play for a Charlotte swing.

2-4    11/23/2012   11/23/2012
Review By: chappyMP03
This review was updated on 1/1/2013
Pros: Great course, alot of variety. Uphills and downhills with some wide open shots. Some doglegs which are personaly my favorite. Like the water that comes in on holes 12 and 15. If in the area definitely stop to play this course.
Cons: I lost my favorite disc on hole 18. It has alot of sentimental value. I was pretty pissed off. There is a basket that is behind a huge rock, some people hate it but i enjoyed it. Other than that no cons.
Other Thoughts: There is a water hazard on a couple holes, just be careful. My buddy went swimming for his disc.

great course

1    7/22/2012   8/2/2012
Review By: jgrubb22
Pros: course has a good mixtures of holes.. some being open then also in the woods.. great combine of long and short holes and also most of the holes have 2 tee pads.. has some nice tight woods fairways that you have to hit the caps or u might b in trouble..
Cons: dont really have any cons jus b careful on some of the holes if u have never played it b/c there is some water on the holes that u cant c from tee pad..
Other Thoughts: got to play this course after the worlds so they had hole 3 basket up on the rock which was really cool and got to meet the guys that designed it.. really nice and down to earth guys!! if ur in the area u should def check this course out u want regret it!!!

Great mix at Bradford

5+    7/15/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: #19325
Pros: This is a very fun course that is more open than many of the Charlotte courses that I played. Along with the open there are some awesome wooded holes with elevation coming into play. Water and OB comes into play on quite a few holes making it very challenging. There are some nasty putting greens too.

There are short and long concrete tees that were installed perfectly.

Brand new Innova Discatchers.

Tee signs were in great shape at the time I played and it was easy to navigate the course.

If you want to learn how to throw a mid range disc this is the place to do it. If you can master a 250 to 325ft mid range you can just destroy this course. About half the course fits into that category.

Hole #12 is an awesome par 4. It's an L shaped hole that recquires a solid drive to the corner. From there you have to make a great shot to a sloped green. One side has water and the other side is a large drop off. Great hole!!

Hole #3 is a great looking hole from the tee. It plays slightly downhill and it was on top of a HUGE boulder!

The course flows really well. There are no long walks and there is a stop by a restroom after hole #11.
Cons: I really liked the course but found myself throwing the same disc over an over. I threw the same Roc off the tee on holes 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, & 16.

I like hole #8 but I would not want to play that hole by myself from the long tee. After it leaves your hand it's very difficult to see where it lands. There is a good chance you can lose it in the many trees and rough in the fairway.
Other Thoughts: Just like all the other Charlotte Area courses this one is super fun and challenging.

The 41 that Michael Johansen shot at Pro Worlds blows my mind! The other top pros were shooting in the 46 to 50 range. Go try that from the long tees!!

1    7/24/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: themanlevan
Pros: I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I definatly plan on playing it again soon. Has the ability to play a quick nine hole loop or play the full 18.
Cons: the chocolate milk river on two of the holes. Actually claimed one of my friends discs.
Other Thoughts: My home course isn't amazingly nice so nicer courses always seem better but if your in the area at all, definitely worth a play

I Played the Course and the Course Won

1    7/22/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: What's not to like about this course? It's a challenge, it's well-groomed, it's typical Charlotte disc golf. Throw straight and be rewarded. Throw off-line, and you will pay.

I played the Sunday after Worlds, so the signage was still in great shape. Tee signage was great, Next Tee signs were in place and came in handy a few times. Walking trails were worn in -- this didn't look like a pretty new course to me. It has the look and feel of a course that has been there a while.

I love that there is a nine-hole loop you can play. I really wish more courses were designed with this in mind -- I understand you can't always end the 'front nine' at the parking lot, but there are ways to create a nine-hole layout.
Cons: I wish there were water jugs on the course.

OK, that's just so I can have a 'con'. Seriously, I loved this place, and I can't think of anything I didn't like that wasn't really my own poor play.
Other Thoughts: I was expecting a crowd, the Sunday after Worlds, but I guess everyone was burned out (or nursing a hangover or something), because the course wasn't full. I played through two groups, and they really weren't holding me up at all (the first group I was actually following so I knew where the lines were, since they seemed to be locals). Cedar Alley is going to be brutal in a few years when those trees get bigger (it was bad enough this year!!). #12 beat me up and stole my lunch money.

Found out this year that I can do 36 holes on Sunday while the family is shopping; next year, I may have to go for 54 and see if I can do North Cabarrus (warm up), Bradford, then Reedy Creek. Or maybe by then I'll have another favorite Carolina course.