Fort McCoy, WI
Pine View @ Fort McCoy Share

Pine View . . . more like Minimal Basket View

1    11/13/2011   11/16/2011
Pros: 1) Discatchers are a good basket here because the whole course is in the woods. It would be even tougher to find these baskets if they were DGA baskets.

2) Nice property for disc golf with a lot of mature evergreen trees and some natural fairways (following what I assume are walking paths).

3) You need a lot of shots here (PS I also mention the shot requirements in the negatives). There are sharp turns down tight fairways requiring either a skip or a high hyzer. There are a couple of flicks (or strong turnovers) required. There are a few straight up the gut type shots. All in all you will need it all including some overhand throws maybe depending on how many rows of evergreens you need to get through.

4) Rushing water of the river that you cross over on the bridge brings a nice feature to a few of the holes on this course. It would have been nice if the water could have been used, but with the Eagle Scouts project of repairing the river bank, I would imagine making the water in play might be frowned upon.

5) I think this property has the potential to be awesome, a little maintenance and tree trimming and removal) they could have a great 9 holer and possibly expanding it to 18 holes. I am actually going to try and go stay there sometime next summer and see if I can meet up with the operator/manager and discuss the options on the property.

6) 4 aggregate stepping stones placed in a square mark the tees, along with painted #'s and direction of the hole on those stones. They are all within about 10-20' of the previous basket which maybe could have been thought out a little more.

7) Distance variation is adequate with a couple longer holes in the upper 300's and lower 400's and a few in the typical hole range of 225-325' and then a couple short ones under or near 200'.
Cons: 1) Discatcher chains are already rusty??? Were these replacement chains or old baskets. They didn't look old but perhaps the baskets came from somewhere else.

2) Not at all beginner friendly because of the near impossible shot shapes needed on a few holes and the tight tree lined fairways on almost every hole.

3) No garbage cans, no tee signs, no benches, no bathrooms (except the woods) on the course, but the campground has all sorts of activities and amenities, just not near the disc golf.

4) Quite literally there are shots on this course that are near inmpossible. Start out on #1 with an S Curve with the most stable disc in the world. Hole #2 could be a straight skip shot but if you go to the air you need to throw a stable disc that s's slightly through the woods also. #3 is two really tough shots that would be best suited to 2 flicks, but for the RHBH player it is a tough hole. I was thrilled to pull off two great shots to make my 3. #4 is a massive sky hyzer outside of the woods or a near impossible straight shot through a 6' gap all the way to the basket or an even tougher turnover (which I really should not have tried to throw). #5 is another one down a tight alley to a basket that is tucked off to the left of any fairway lane you might find. #6 is a tight throw through a couple of trees with a basket tucked off the path but it is a blind shot from the tee. #7 is a good tight low hyzer and I would be thrilled to throw a good drive on this hole. #8 is a tight straight short shot. #9 is a flick S curve that finishes hard right or a lucky up the gut shot that may get tangled in brambles.

5) Dirt/grass tees are always a negative in my opinion unless they wanted us to throw from the 3' x 3' concrete stepper tee pads in which case that is just poor design.
Other Thoughts: At anytime I feel like I could be jumped by "the character" of Gary Busey in the classic Chris Farley movie. . . Black Sheep. An old retired army vet living in the woods (in this case the building by Hole # 7's basket) who hates the world and is very politically opinionated. Anyways I thought I saw him peering at me as I missed my 25' birdie putt on #2.

With that said, I am not totally sure of what this property is all about. I assume it is privately run and not on government property, because it is open to the public. I would guess it exists to give the friends and family of people who are set at Fort McCoy to come visit and virtually be on site.