Hoover, AL
Inverness Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: RedHotCujo Hole #3 (Taken 8/2012)
3 / 268ft.   3 / 266ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #3 Red Tee

Fun but difficult

1    12/23/2013   12/28/2013
Review By: flashpver6
Pros: *Very good use of terrain.
*Discatcher baskets are great.
*The best tee pads I have played from with considerable difference between Red and Blue pads.
*Beautiful setting in a great location.
*Will force you to throw every shot you are capable of throwing.
Cons: *VERY rough terrain. IF you have bad knees or hips do not attempt this course.
*Could use better signage to help find next tee pad and pin locations.
*The steep terrain will discourage those new to the sport.
*The course needs a little sprucing up, I know it is fairly new, but it still has a ways to go.
Other Thoughts: I would not recommend this course for first timers or recent beginners due to the difficulty added by the steep terrain. I would not show up at this course in flip flops. If you have knee or hip issues this course could be difficult to navigate. With a little sprucing up and improved signage this course will easily rate a 4+. This course will force you to improve on your lines and your distance. Over all this was a fun course for my son and I to play but we carried 2 newbies with us and they quickly became discouraged. If you have moderate abilities you will enjoy the challenge of this course. I will definitely play this course next time I am in town.

A Disc Golf Hike in the Magic City

1    10/9/2013   12/5/2013
Review By: RussMB
Pros: • Beautiful park! Steep, rugged and varying elevation through the woods to hike through! Stunning scenery!
• There is a map available on this course page. Do not show up without it, or lose it like I did!
• Signs with detailed fairway maps, with distance, concrete tee's, Dual Tee's, Alternating Pin locations
• Not beginner friendly, but I'm not listing it as a con since there are other beginner friendly courses in the Birmingham area. This is a course for the seasoned player that knows how to work their lines.
• I'm using the terms long and short tee's, but in reality, they could put a third set of tee's in for a "True Short tee". If they decided to make it more "beginner friendly". The red tee's could actually be considered "Regular tee's".
• Long and short Tee's The difference between the long and the shorts is drastic! Almost 7K from the longs, vs. just under 4K from the shorts.
• Full of Risk/Reward shots.
• Physically demanding course. Prepare to hike up and down a plethora of steep hills. It's also long, so bring plenty of liquids and maybe a power bar. It took me over 2 hours to play a solo round here. (from the longs)
• Course was well designed. This isn't a rec course, this is a very challenging course that has a high level of difficulty from the longs. In my opinion, I think that this course will start gaining recognition as a pro caliber course. By difficult, I mean challenging.
• Although there are short tee's here, they still come with a degree of difficulty. They are the "Less demanding" of the two sets of tee's. Do not underestimate the shorts. (Next time I'm in town, I'll play the shorts)
• This course comes with a degree of difficulty. Most of the course plays in the woods, and the fairways can have deep ravines in the middle.
• Fairways have legit Par 4's and 5's on the long tee's. (I didn't play the shorts, so I can't really comment) You'll definitely want to give yourself a second shot placement on some fairways. On occasion a third shot placement. Overshooting on some fairways can be a risky move resulting in taking two steps back. (Sharp doglegs and extreme drops in elevation are very common here)
• You'll want to be accurate at long ranges, as well as using delayed turnover shots, Hyzer flips, or anything else that keeps you on the straight and narrow fairways.
Cons: • Navigation, isn't necessarily difficult, but could use a few more arrows from basket to the proper tee. Sometimes each tee is obvious to find, but other times you'd find the red tee and not the blue. …and vice versa. It's a physically demanding course, and it gets frustrating when you climb a steep hill, only to find that your tee is on an adjacent hill. This happened a few times.
• I did run into quite a bit of park traffic, including a group playing Catch frisbee on the fields of 5 and 6. It's a beautiful park, and you may find yourself sharing with Non-DG'rs. However, it did appear that non-dg'rs were aware of the sport.
• I think there is a need for benches. You'll find yourself wanting a breather and a place to sit down. They may be in the works, but I know I needed to sit down more than a few times.
• Rain could make it hard and sloppy to play here.
• You may have to walk the fairway to figure out which position the pin is in. This gets irritating when you have to traverse yet another down & up fairway to see where the pin is. Hopefully they'll add a location indicator to the signs in the future.
Other Thoughts: What can I say, but this course is fantastic! A "Must Play". Over the next few years, I think that this course will start to become a highlight among the south-eastern courses. It's still fairly new, but it is a very challenging, well put together course! Playing from the Longs reminded me a lot of playing at the PDGA headquarters. It's not as polished or refined, but as I said, it is still a new course. Inverness also has a good fun factor, as well as fantastic scenic beauty. I've only played the long tees, so my short tee notes are only observations. I'll be back one day, and I'll take in the red tees then. The reason I say that, is because there is a drastic difference between the two. The regular tees weren't easier; it's that the long tees were just that much more challenging.
Inverness challenged me to be accurate and strategic, as well as holding a long lines through a narrow passage. If you play here, you'll have to play smarter. For instance: There may be a 75ft gap, with a 100ft ravine between you and the basket. It may be better for you to layup and approach from the ravine, than to chance it and have to throw out of the ravine. …but then again, what's life without some risks? There are a plethora combinations of ravines, trees, amongst other scenarios and risk/rewards to keep you on your toes. So don't leave your "A" Game at home.
You'll definitely want to be physically prepared for playing here. There will be some hiking and hill climbing. Bring your liquids and energy bars, because it's a long treacherous walk. Definitely wear shoes that are made for hiking. I made the mistake of wearing worn out Chuck Taylor's, and found myself struggling to climb hills. …and sliding down a few as well.

2-4    9/29/2013   10/1/2013
Review By: B37470
Pros: Excellent layout, My kids and I really enjoyed the course,
Cons: The first time we played got lost a few times so pay attention to the markers on the pads they show you which way to go
Other Thoughts: I live in Mobile so most of the courses I play are pretty flat this was a real change but enjoyed it can't wait to play it again

My Home Course

5+    8/11/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: BirmingDan
Pros: As you see from the title, this is my home course, so I'm biased. It's great. I played from the tips only once. That was the first time I played it, and I hooked up with the two guys who designed and built it. Ever since, I've played from the Am tees, because I'm an amateur. I would love walking this course, even if I weren't chunking discs. It's beautiful in all seasons. Pretty easy from the Am tees, but challenging enough for my skills. It's teaching me to throw straight. No. Correction. It SHOULD be teaching me to throw straight.
Cons: If you've never played it before, you could get lost a couple of times. Just look for the pads and signage. You'll find your way.

Beauty and/or Beast?

1    7/7/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: jobwilson
Pros: Inverness Disc Golf Park is a beautiful championship level wooded course located in a pristine nature preserve. Upon arrival, my initial reaction was that I certainly didn't feel like I was in Birmingham (which technically I wasn't, but close enough).
When I walked up to the first hole, I knew I was in for a challenge. I read the tee sign (which was very descriptive and informative) and realized I was looking at a 573 or 518 feet to the pin. The initial shot was going to be 250' to get to the top of a hill and then I had the rest of the hole to play.

Well, after playing two holes from the blue tees, I realized that I didn't have the time, patience or skill to have an enjoyable round from the blue pads. So, I switched to the reds. Even from the reds, I found a nice variety of sweet ace run holes and holes that required distance and placement. Also, the greens were definitely treacherous from either pad. I had many hot shots that stood up and rolled on me.

The Hardware:
+Descriptive tee signs showing distances for two tee pads and two pin locations. Also, every pad had its own tee sign.
+Very large, flat, grippy, trapezoidal tee pads. I didn't bust out my tape measure, but I would estimate they were 12' long by 5' in the front and 7' in the back. I'm a big fan of trapezoidal pads because they a)look neat and b)give players ample room/angles to run up.
+Discatcher baskets. Can't say enough about Discatchers. They are visible and they catch. What else can you ask for?
+There were signs that lead me to my next hole as well as marks on the trees that kept me on the path.

The Terrain:
+Rolling wooded hills with a creek running through the course. To be honest, this is may be the most naturally beautiful, serene course I've played (Holler in the Hills is battling for the top spot as well). I think it really helps that I played the course at 7:00 AM on a Sunday morning after approximately 38 feet of rain. I don't know how active the creek usually is, but that morning it was rushing. It really added to the serene ambiance.

The Layout:
+The layout really utilized the land. There was a lot of variety of uphills, downhills, left-turns, right turns, dog legs, ace runs, placement shots.
+I loved the risk/reward scenarios as well as the runaway greens. Again, I played the shorts after hole 2, but my favorite throw by far was hole 5. It is a 310' downhill shot with creek behind the basket. Perfect placement for an ace run. I threw an Elite-X Comet which sailed just right of the basket directly into the creek. (I was able to retrieve it). That's the perfect kind of hole that tempts you to go for it while your head is telling you not to.
+Often times when I play a wooded course (or an open course), midway through a round I start to get that repetitive feeling where holes kind of blend together. This was not the case at Inverness.
Cons: The Hardware:
-I didn't see a main information sign near hole 1. After reading some other reviews, I get the feeling that it's coming, just hasn't been installed yet.
-There was nothing on the signs that showed which pin location the baskets were in. Mostly this wasn't a big issue, but a few holes it would have been nice on.

The Terrain:
-I guess this could be a con for some people, but the terrain is treacherous. It will wear you out going up and down the hills. Also, on the Sunday morning I was there, it was more humid than a swamp tater stir fry. Personally, these are not true cons that impact how I rate the course, but some people will want to know it.
-Definitely not a stroller friendly course. So Moms and Dads, leave the Graco in the car.

The Layout:
-There isn't really an opportunity to just air it out without consequence of hitting a tree. My arm is weak though, so I don't really care about that.
-Definitely not a beginner friendly course.
Other Thoughts: I really thought Inverness was a great course. I had such a blast playing it. It really is a brutal course, but it also affords plenty of opportunities to reward.
And to say I was going to play George Ward that morning. Luckily, a friend texted me saying me to be wary of bums and hypodermic needles there, so I made the longer drive.

If you are passing through Birmingham, you must play this course.

1    6/24/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: DGLobo999
Pros: Excellent technical layout. Dual tees and multiple basket placements change the complexion of every hole and shot required. Tough, long, and risk/reward in abundance. Errant shots are definitely punishable. Lots of strategic elevation changes. Good signage and marking of basket locations. Benches located throughout course. Good design.
Cons: Still a bit rough and will need some TLC in the years to come. It was fairly dry the day I played but it looked like it could get messy if played in the rain.
Other Thoughts: A great stop and a fun, challenging layout. Highly recommend. This should evolve into a championship course if the locals contnue to take care of it and tweak it.

Elevation and tunnels!

1    5/8/2013   5/8/2013
Review By: Terry 44
Pros: Very challenging! Hole placements are almost always next to a cliff or a water hazard. Overthrow and your doomed! trees and elevation play a major part in the challenge. Great course. Pro tees are VERY tough. This course is humbling when played from the pro tees, but rewarding.
Cons: Played with some locals luckily, or would have been wandering a little to find next tee pad, even though the tee signs are mostly done. Still a little rough around the edges as its pretty new, but will mature into a 4.5 rated course IMO. Example:river/creek crossings can be better. Bright pin flags would be helpful. Some picturesque holes, but mostly this course is to test your skills. I would cut down some trees on the hole (16?) where the lake is to your right, so you can see it from the tee. I didn't know how bad a hazard it was till I walked up to the pin. It would be a great hole for a mind game to see what you can get into if you go right. (sorry forgot the hole, I think its 16)
Other Thoughts: First course where most of the tee pads are really AM to PRO. Not just located 15' away and called a PRO tee. Very challenging, even when I played at the easy AM tees you had to place the shot and the elevation changes are used very well. GREAT new course!

5+    4/4/2013   4/4/2013
Review By: TomHawk
This review was updated on 3/2/2014
Pros: I've been playing this course 5 times a week since well before the pads were even poured and the baskets were just property marking sticks. I think this is the best course in Birmingham BY FAR. What a beautiful course and area this is compared to the murder parking lot of George Ward. INDIGO has 2 pads long/short and 2 pins for each of the 18 holes. Over the last year, the fairways have worked themselves out very well, with the exception of a few holes. This is a very wooded course, you must have control. I hope you can throw tunnel shots. The potential I see in this course is absurd. This course can be super fun for beginners and pros alike. It can also be very frustrating for beginners and pros alike. Really, really beautiful benches have been made by a scout for about 4 or 5 pads, hopefully these will be copied at all the other pads. It will only be getting better!
Cons: Edited 3-1-14: pretty much all of my previous cons are gone or have been fixed. Most pads have benches. Maps are up, and very nice. Paths are working themselves out nicely. Could use some direction signs around. They (dgb, I assume?) spray painted a bunch of trees to try to give direction, but it only kinda works... What I mean is there was probably way too many of these trees sprayed (like multiples beside each other that are with 20ish feet of the pad you can clearly see), it just looks like crap, and the difficult to find pads aren't really any easier to find w the trees painted. Just looks like a dumdum did it, and some little signs would probably be way more effective. The course rocks. There's a ton more people out there, and different folks than GW. It's getting its own scene of locals, which is pretty cool. Come see us! Still patrolled by police - still zero police trouble, they're awesome. This one cop brings his dog out to train him, which is pretty cool to watch. Need 1 more concrete base poured for the practice basket, which is currently just stuck in the extra position on 6. It's not a terrible spot, but there are atleast 2 much better practice basket locations to use, IMO. Done.
Other Thoughts: Best course in Birmingham BY FAR.
Absurd Potential
Very homie, family-friendly atmosphere.
Patrolled by police often (not in a bothersome way at all, but their presence is known)
Locals know the way, so just ask!
As soon as you figure out the layout, this course is the bomb!

FYI: there's water on more than 3 holes. #'s 5,6,9,10, 16, and 18. No clue how they cherry picked 3 of those to tell you about.

Great Pro Course

5+    10/20/2012   10/28/2012
Review By: bpartrid
Pros: This course is so much fun. Signs, baskets, and hole to hole signage are good and continually getting better. Every tee pad is large and luxurious!!! The course begins with a tough (especially from the long tee) but very iconic first hole. The next few holes play through up and down hills/valleys that are picturesque. Then you play downhill on a S curve hole and then from an elevated tee coming out of the woodline and into open field to a basket guarded by a stream right behind the basket. Soon after you return to the woods for more enjoyment with continued short and long fun and challenging holes with many different shots styles to take. There are more signature holes, including a downhill, elevated shot over a small stream with a small bridge. The last few holes are mostly shorter and technical shots. Finally, you finish on a signature hole downhill from an elevated tee to an elevated basket that is just past a great stream (very ace-able and fun to watch). The last hole ends back to the parking lot (as every course should). Overall, the course is a lot of fun in a beautifully wooded area that usually isn't crowded.
Cons: The course begins on a tough first hole, so it can be a rough start for first-timers. The tee signs are still in the beginnings (but still provide all information needed for every hole and will be upgraded). Summers in birmingham are hot and this place can have quite a few chiggers and other insects (however, the shade on this course helpful).
Other Thoughts: I live in birmingham and this course is quickly becoming my favorite in this area. If you are moderately good or a first timer you should probably play the short tees unless you are very advanced or professional as the short tees provide more than enough fun and challenge on its own. This course pretty much has all you can ask for from a wooded course!!!! Bring all your discs, your gonna use them!!! After the Tee Signs are upgraded I may upgrade my rating to 4.5

Fun Challenging Course

1    9/1/2012   10/27/2012
Review By: aussieinva
Pros: 1: The course was easy to find and had plenty of parking for players. It was not crowded even though I was there on a holiday weekend.
2: It was well sign posted and I had no trouble finding the next tee. The signs were temporary but were quite visible and had all of the information I needed.
3: The designers made excellent use of the hills and valleys in the area to make some challenging and interesting holes. It seems they tried to make the course challenging and something different to the other courses in the area and they succeeded. I enjoyed that they put the basket for hole 2 on top of a steep hill, that on two holes the baskets were next to the creek among others things.
4: The fairways were well defined and it was easy enough to figure out where the basket was on the dogleg holes. They were wide enough to so you weren't hitting every tree on the side of the fairway unless you did something wrong.
5: The two tee positions for each hole was well planned and gives players two separate experiences when playing on the course. On most holes it was a separate tee area all together, not just having the blue tee back 50 feet. This gives less experienced players a chance to play well at the course on the red tees and more advanced players will enjoy the challenge of the blue tees.
6: The course layout rewarded players for well placed shots and punished those who throw poorly. This is definitely a course that will refine your accuracy after a few rounds.
Cons: 1: This is not a course I would recommend taking first timers as it is more suited to experienced players. First timers may get discouraged due to it being a little more difficult than other courses in the area.
2: Not a lot of trash cans that I remember but I also tend to cart out what I cart in.
Other Thoughts: * I enjoyed the course and although I struggled on a few holes I learned quite a few lessons about how to throw more accurately. The longer I played the more it grew on me and I would definitely come back for another round if I was in the area again.
* As noted the course is still new and improvements are still to come so I am certain this course will only get better as time goes on. It is already a great course and has the potential to be even better.
* There is a bit of elevation change so closed toed shoes are recommended. I would not recommend playing in sandals or flip flops. You will get a decent walk/hike workout so be sure to pack an extra bottle of water.
* Be careful of poison ivy and poison oak in the area. It got me pretty good but I spent a decent amount of time in the brush.