Hoover, AL
Inverness Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: aussieinva Hole #17 (Taken 9/2012)
Hole #17 Approach

One of the areas best courses

5+    6/24/2015   7/22/2015
Review By: Jiggy202
-Course design is excellent, terrain/elevation is showcased in an great way on many of the holes.
-Well defined fairways that made finding the baskets easy on the blind tee shots.
-Tee signs with plenty of information and a pin placement designator on every sign. Although I noticed a few pin placements were marked incorrectly on a few holes.
-Multiple Pin locations and 2 concrete tee pads per hole with very different approaches from either pad.
-Navigation can get a little difficult between some of the holes. I noticed markers painted on trees to help navigation to the next tee and a few of those tress were laying down on the ground.
-Not a great course for beginners as the short tees are still significantly challenging.
-Terrain can be quite difficult, trekking up and down some of the hills especially on the first few holes can be a little hazardous if you are not prepared for it. It would be nice to see some steps added for some of the steeper elevation changing spots.
This is an excellent, challenging, and technical course. There is so much variety here, every hole is unique and different. The fairways are moderately tight with well defined lines to the baskets. The risk/reward factor is present here and the risks are constantly changing. The red tees are a decent challenge for the average player. The blue tees add a whole lot of distance and they really add a high level of difficulty to the course. The terrain here is quite hilly and the rough can be unforgiving in many spots. Be prepared to trek up and down a few large hills multiple times throughout the course. Overall this is a great course and a must visit course.

1    5/15/2015   5/22/2015
Review By: spotswood
Pros: Amazing course! Beautiful environment and very well maintained. Played from the short tees. Very well designed holes with great use of trees. Lots of elevation changes for nice gliding shots.
Cons: It rained a little :)

Birmingham's Best Course....can't miss

5+    5/7/2015   5/7/2015
Review By: AlphaGenerator
Pros: Amazing course that has multiple pin locations and tee pads. The local course pro & Disc Golf Birmingham (club), do an amazing job with course maintenance. Lots of signage for next holes...though the course is very intuitive in its design. Tee signs are very informative and well designed.

Long fairways cut through the woods, make for gorgeous lines that you must hit. Fairways are wide enough to be considered "fair" by most peoples standards. Undergrowth isn't really an issue in most spots.

Its a very technical course with disc placement being very key to your overall score. Enjoy!
Cons: Parking lot isn't the greatest. No on site restroom. Unfortunately the course is situated just off hwy 280....traffic sucks.
Other Thoughts: This course is a must play!

Its a great hike through the woods! Holes 1-5 are the ones that traverse the steepest terrain....take rest breaks =P. Beware you are hiking in the woods...be aware of your surroundings. I have seen a snake or two on this course, near the stream around hole 10.

Simply a great course!

1    6/6/2014   6/6/2014
Review By: BenX33
Pros: Played by myself without a map or knowledge of the area and never got lost. Great trail markings and signs.
Other Thoughts: Some locals parked and started on #6 so they were warmed up before hitting 1-5, which was the hardest stretch. Might try that if I'm here again.

Fun but difficult

1    12/23/2013   12/28/2013
Review By: flashpver6
Pros: *Very good use of terrain.
*Discatcher baskets are great.
*The best tee pads I have played from with considerable difference between Red and Blue pads.
*Beautiful setting in a great location.
*Will force you to throw every shot you are capable of throwing.
Cons: *VERY rough terrain. IF you have bad knees or hips do not attempt this course.
*Could use better signage to help find next tee pad and pin locations.
*The steep terrain will discourage those new to the sport.
*The course needs a little sprucing up, I know it is fairly new, but it still has a ways to go.
Other Thoughts: I would not recommend this course for first timers or recent beginners due to the difficulty added by the steep terrain. I would not show up at this course in flip flops. If you have knee or hip issues this course could be difficult to navigate. With a little sprucing up and improved signage this course will easily rate a 4+. This course will force you to improve on your lines and your distance. Over all this was a fun course for my son and I to play but we carried 2 newbies with us and they quickly became discouraged. If you have moderate abilities you will enjoy the challenge of this course. I will definitely play this course next time I am in town.

A Disc Golf Hike in the Magic City

1    10/9/2013   12/5/2013
Review By: RussMB
Pros: Beautiful park! Steep, rugged and varying elevation through the woods to hike through! Stunning scenery!
There is a map available on this course page. Do not show up without it, or lose it like I did!
Signs with detailed fairway maps, with distance, concrete tee's, Dual Tee's, Alternating Pin locations
Not beginner friendly, but I'm not listing it as a con since there are other beginner friendly courses in the Birmingham area. This is a course for the seasoned player that knows how to work their lines.
I'm using the terms long and short tee's, but in reality, they could put a third set of tee's in for a "True Short tee". If they decided to make it more "beginner friendly". The red tee's could actually be considered "Regular tee's".
Long and short Tee's The difference between the long and the shorts is drastic! Almost 7K from the longs, vs. just under 4K from the shorts.
Full of Risk/Reward shots.
Physically demanding course. Prepare to hike up and down a plethora of steep hills. It's also long, so bring plenty of liquids and maybe a power bar. It took me over 2 hours to play a solo round here. (from the longs)
Course was well designed. This isn't a rec course, this is a very challenging course that has a high level of difficulty from the longs. In my opinion, I think that this course will start gaining recognition as a pro caliber course. By difficult, I mean challenging.
Although there are short tee's here, they still come with a degree of difficulty. They are the "Less demanding" of the two sets of tee's. Do not underestimate the shorts. (Next time I'm in town, I'll play the shorts)
This course comes with a degree of difficulty. Most of the course plays in the woods, and the fairways can have deep ravines in the middle.
Fairways have legit Par 4's and 5's on the long tee's. (I didn't play the shorts, so I can't really comment) You'll definitely want to give yourself a second shot placement on some fairways. On occasion a third shot placement. Overshooting on some fairways can be a risky move resulting in taking two steps back. (Sharp doglegs and extreme drops in elevation are very common here)
You'll want to be accurate at long ranges, as well as using delayed turnover shots, Hyzer flips, or anything else that keeps you on the straight and narrow fairways.
Cons: Navigation, isn't necessarily difficult, but could use a few more arrows from basket to the proper tee. Sometimes each tee is obvious to find, but other times you'd find the red tee and not the blue. ...and vice versa. It's a physically demanding course, and it gets frustrating when you climb a steep hill, only to find that your tee is on an adjacent hill. This happened a few times.
I did run into quite a bit of park traffic, including a group playing Catch frisbee on the fields of 5 and 6. It's a beautiful park, and you may find yourself sharing with Non-DG'rs. However, it did appear that non-dg'rs were aware of the sport.
I think there is a need for benches. You'll find yourself wanting a breather and a place to sit down. They may be in the works, but I know I needed to sit down more than a few times.
Rain could make it hard and sloppy to play here.
You may have to walk the fairway to figure out which position the pin is in. This gets irritating when you have to traverse yet another down & up fairway to see where the pin is. Hopefully they'll add a location indicator to the signs in the future.
Other Thoughts: What can I say, but this course is fantastic! A "Must Play". Over the next few years, I think that this course will start to become a highlight among the south-eastern courses. It's still fairly new, but it is a very challenging, well put together course! Playing from the Longs reminded me a lot of playing at the PDGA headquarters. It's not as polished or refined, but as I said, it is still a new course. Inverness also has a good fun factor, as well as fantastic scenic beauty. I've only played the long tees, so my short tee notes are only observations. I'll be back one day, and I'll take in the red tees then. The reason I say that, is because there is a drastic difference between the two. The regular tees weren't easier; it's that the long tees were just that much more challenging.
Inverness challenged me to be accurate and strategic, as well as holding a long lines through a narrow passage. If you play here, you'll have to play smarter. For instance: There may be a 75ft gap, with a 100ft ravine between you and the basket. It may be better for you to layup and approach from the ravine, than to chance it and have to throw out of the ravine. ...but then again, what's life without some risks? There are a plethora combinations of ravines, trees, amongst other scenarios and risk/rewards to keep you on your toes. So don't leave your "A" Game at home.
You'll definitely want to be physically prepared for playing here. There will be some hiking and hill climbing. Bring your liquids and energy bars, because it's a long treacherous walk. Definitely wear shoes that are made for hiking. I made the mistake of wearing worn out Chuck Taylor's, and found myself struggling to climb hills. ...and sliding down a few as well.

2-4    9/29/2013   10/1/2013
Review By: B37470
Pros: Excellent layout, My kids and I really enjoyed the course,
Cons: The first time we played got lost a few times so pay attention to the markers on the pads they show you which way to go
Other Thoughts: I live in Mobile so most of the courses I play are pretty flat this was a real change but enjoyed it can't wait to play it again

My Home Course

5+    8/11/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: BirmingDan
Pros: As you see from the title, this is my home course, so I'm biased. It's great. I played from the tips only once. That was the first time I played it, and I hooked up with the two guys who designed and built it. Ever since, I've played from the Am tees, because I'm an amateur. I would love walking this course, even if I weren't chunking discs. It's beautiful in all seasons. Pretty easy from the Am tees, but challenging enough for my skills. It's teaching me to throw straight. No. Correction. It SHOULD be teaching me to throw straight.
Cons: If you've never played it before, you could get lost a couple of times. Just look for the pads and signage. You'll find your way.

Beauty and/or Beast?

1    7/7/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: jobwilson
Pros: Inverness Disc Golf Park is a beautiful championship level wooded course located in a pristine nature preserve. Upon arrival, my initial reaction was that I certainly didn't feel like I was in Birmingham (which technically I wasn't, but close enough).
When I walked up to the first hole, I knew I was in for a challenge. I read the tee sign (which was very descriptive and informative) and realized I was looking at a 573 or 518 feet to the pin. The initial shot was going to be 250' to get to the top of a hill and then I had the rest of the hole to play.

Well, after playing two holes from the blue tees, I realized that I didn't have the time, patience or skill to have an enjoyable round from the blue pads. So, I switched to the reds. Even from the reds, I found a nice variety of sweet ace run holes and holes that required distance and placement. Also, the greens were definitely treacherous from either pad. I had many hot shots that stood up and rolled on me.

The Hardware:
+Descriptive tee signs showing distances for two tee pads and two pin locations. Also, every pad had its own tee sign.
+Very large, flat, grippy, trapezoidal tee pads. I didn't bust out my tape measure, but I would estimate they were 12' long by 5' in the front and 7' in the back. I'm a big fan of trapezoidal pads because they a)look neat and b)give players ample room/angles to run up.
+Discatcher baskets. Can't say enough about Discatchers. They are visible and they catch. What else can you ask for?
+There were signs that lead me to my next hole as well as marks on the trees that kept me on the path.

The Terrain:
+Rolling wooded hills with a creek running through the course. To be honest, this is may be the most naturally beautiful, serene course I've played (Holler in the Hills is battling for the top spot as well). I think it really helps that I played the course at 7:00 AM on a Sunday morning after approximately 38 feet of rain. I don't know how active the creek usually is, but that morning it was rushing. It really added to the serene ambiance.

The Layout:
+The layout really utilized the land. There was a lot of variety of uphills, downhills, left-turns, right turns, dog legs, ace runs, placement shots.
+I loved the risk/reward scenarios as well as the runaway greens. Again, I played the shorts after hole 2, but my favorite throw by far was hole 5. It is a 310' downhill shot with creek behind the basket. Perfect placement for an ace run. I threw an Elite-X Comet which sailed just right of the basket directly into the creek. (I was able to retrieve it). That's the perfect kind of hole that tempts you to go for it while your head is telling you not to.
+Often times when I play a wooded course (or an open course), midway through a round I start to get that repetitive feeling where holes kind of blend together. This was not the case at Inverness.
Cons: The Hardware:
-I didn't see a main information sign near hole 1. After reading some other reviews, I get the feeling that it's coming, just hasn't been installed yet.
-There was nothing on the signs that showed which pin location the baskets were in. Mostly this wasn't a big issue, but a few holes it would have been nice on.

The Terrain:
-I guess this could be a con for some people, but the terrain is treacherous. It will wear you out going up and down the hills. Also, on the Sunday morning I was there, it was more humid than a swamp tater stir fry. Personally, these are not true cons that impact how I rate the course, but some people will want to know it.
-Definitely not a stroller friendly course. So Moms and Dads, leave the Graco in the car.

The Layout:
-There isn't really an opportunity to just air it out without consequence of hitting a tree. My arm is weak though, so I don't really care about that.
-Definitely not a beginner friendly course.
Other Thoughts: I really thought Inverness was a great course. I had such a blast playing it. It really is a brutal course, but it also affords plenty of opportunities to reward.
And to say I was going to play George Ward that morning. Luckily, a friend texted me saying me to be wary of bums and hypodermic needles there, so I made the longer drive.

If you are passing through Birmingham, you must play this course.

1    6/24/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: DGLobo999
Pros: Excellent technical layout. Dual tees and multiple basket placements change the complexion of every hole and shot required. Tough, long, and risk/reward in abundance. Errant shots are definitely punishable. Lots of strategic elevation changes. Good signage and marking of basket locations. Benches located throughout course. Good design.
Cons: Still a bit rough and will need some TLC in the years to come. It was fairly dry the day I played but it looked like it could get messy if played in the rain.
Other Thoughts: A great stop and a fun, challenging layout. Highly recommend. This should evolve into a championship course if the locals contnue to take care of it and tweak it.