Open, boring but beginner friendly and nicely maintained
2 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: 1) Distance variation for this 9 hole course is adequate. There are some in the 100's, 200's and even one in the 300's.
2) Very nicely maintained park in a nice looking neighborhood. The grass looked like it was mowed frequently and while the trees were young, they were healthy.
3) Nice new Innova Discatchers. They are new, bright yellow and they catch like they should.
4) Huge concrete, so much concrete for such a small course.
5) Teesigns have Hole Distance and Par.
6) This course is a quick play. I played it in a heavy wind in 18 minutes. Perfect for course bagging. There is virtually nowhere to get in trouble. Only two holes play along the edge of a woodline, the rest is wide open.
7) There is a drainageway through the property that could create some OB. This may or may not always have water in it, it wasn't dry when I played but that could be marked OB all the time.
8) They could easily leave unmowed grass to also artificially create some OB and make this course play more challenging if they wanted. I know it is in a small neighborhood park so it may not be desirable.
9) Beginner friendly course is always appreciated.
10) From the course map, it looks like they intend to plant more trees which can only make this course better. I just hope they are healthy enough to withstand some flying discs.
Cons: 1) Wide open course with very few trees or obstacles in play. There are only 2 holes with any density of woods but it is easy to avoid as it is only on one side of the fairway.
2) There is very little elevation change on this course.
3) Some of the tees and baskets are dangerously close to each other. This is something I would certainly hope wouldn't happen on a beginner course.
4) There is very little here to challenge anyone but a beginner.
5) There is also a walking path that comes into play on a couple of holes.
6) The turf is very spotty, it is obviously a new park so it can be understood, but I still have to list it as a con.
Other Thoughts: While there are a lot of positives for this course, it just doesn't cut it in fun factor for me. I understand it was designed for the neighborhood and beginners, so it was not designed for me. However, there are a couple of ways this course could be played as more challenging for those other than beginners.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
A different kind of bad
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: Best aspect of this course was the upkeep.
*It was great to throw from concrete tees again after having to deal with the nightmare teepads of nearby courses
*385 foot hole allows big arms to air it out
*Nice park, playground on site
*Windy course, good control practice
Cons: Absolutely zero obstacles. The disc golf here is completely uninteresting. I brought my girlfriend here, who is not much of a disc golfer (yet) and even she said that this course was extremely bland. At some point during the course it seems like there is maybe a foot or two of elevation and that's about it. A rather unfortunate location for a disc golf course.
Other Thoughts: For whatever reason, this area is pretty much a Bermuda triangle of disc golf. To the West, Bloomington/Normal and Peoria have a ton of disc golf options, to the North, there are great courses in the Joliet/Plainfield area, and to the East, Indiana has fun courses in Indianapolis or at Purdue. Compared to the above areas, this course is a joke.
However, compared to Urbana's Lohmann Park, this course is no worse. The upkeep of this course (nice tee pads, great baskets, nice park) makes playing here a semi-enjoyable experience, despite the complete lack of interesting disc golf. Combine the upkeep of this course with the land that Urbana's DG course is located on and you may have yourself a decent course.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
New to the game
4 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: Wide open course....good for beginners, and practice. Never crowded. Very well maintained. Nice concrete tees. New DISCatchers.
Cons: Can be very windy. Not much of a challenge if you are seasoned player.
Other Thoughts: I live in the neighborhood. New to the game. I had seen this go in in the last year. It is the reason I have picked up a basic set of discs. I am going to try to get out on it as many days as I can. Practice makes you better, and I plan on doing a LOT of practice at this course.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
Pitch & Putt
2 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: This course is just a little 9 hole course in the middle of a subdivision. The baskets are brand new Innova Discatchers. This course is always very well manicured. Holes number 4 & 5 are fairly nice running along the woods. Hole number 8 is also the only place on the course to put some power on your shot. The teepads are nice and new.
Cons: This course is not nearly long enough to make you work. The teepads could be a little longer. The course could also be upgrade by quite a bit with the addition of signs to give distances. The biggest problem with this course is the distinct lack of trees. There are only about 3 in the entire course that actually come into play. Adding a few would help a lot in adding some difficulty to the course.
Other Thoughts: This course is not worth going out and playing if you are looking to play a serious round. I have however gone here a couple of times to play 1 or 2 disc rounds in order to brush up on my game. Its also not a bad way to toss a disc around for 20 minutes or so.
2 of 3 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 0 Not
Poorly planned course
Pros: This course is complete, and new. There are 9 tees, and 9 baskets.
The tees are concrete, which is nice. The baskets are disccatchers, and are in excellent condition.
The course is never crowded.
There's a nice bridge near hole 1, and there is plans for 1 or 2 more nice bridges.
Cons: This course was not designed by a serious player, and it shows badly. There isn't a single interesting shot.
Before the course was put in, it was a questionable choice to use this land for disc golf. It was simply a big flat open field. No earth was moved, so it is as flat as the original field.
A few trees have been added, but with the exception of #7, they aren't in places that would obstruct shots. For #7, there is one tree in line between the tee and basket, but it's halfway down the line. Even when the tree is full grown, it will be rather easy to throw to one side or the other. If the tree was placed closer to the tee, it would have been a lot more interesting.
There are thick woods near holes 4 and 5. I hope that the thick grass and weeds will be cleared out. As it stands right now, finding a disc in there is a bit of an adventure.
According to the plans (found in the links section here), holes 1 and 9 were supposed to be doglegs. Unfortunately, the obstacles needed to make this happen were never added.
With the exception of #8, the distance will not be a challenge to most players.
Other Thoughts: I was ecstatic to see Mahomet get a course, but then very disappointed to see how it turned out. I wrote to the Mahomet park district, asking if I could help out in any way (design, work days, or contribute for a few more trees), and was told that they had it all under control. But, it's quite clear that they didn't consult anyone in the disc golf community before making this course.
It's nice that kids in the are will have this course to play with, and hopefully it will spark interest in the community for a real course. Lake of the Woods seems like a perfect place for Mahomet players to put a course in the future, and I hope that eventually happens.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: This is a quiet course in a quiet neighborhood. Would be a great course for family play with smaller children or very new players
- all new Innova Discatcher pole holes
- very nice concrete pads
- Could be a great Ace Race course?
- easy to follow flow of course
- well maintained
Cons: -Short every hole could be Aced.
- all the holes with the exception of 2, 4, & 5 are strait and open.
- no hole signs
Other Thoughts: This would be a nice practice course to have in near your house but not one to go out of your way for. 2 has a gully with tall weeds, 4 & 5 are closely bordered on right side by woods, and there is one small tree I think on 7 are the only things to get in the way of your throws. I do not have a long drive and played all but 2 holes with a mid-range off the tee. If there had been less wind all but 1!
5 of 6 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.