Fernandina Beach, FL
Pirate Pointe DGC Share

Pitch and Putt

1    7/1/2014   7/8/2014
Review By: DGLobo999
Pros: Good to have a course somewhere near a vacation area. Was on vacation and desperate to throw so went to play here. Good benches. Tees fair. Appreciate whomever maintains it.
Cons: Standard layout is VERY short. Threw a putter all the way around. Signage is a bit confusing so navigation is not automatic. Wandered a bit to find next tee and basket.
Other Thoughts: Locals had multiple safari layouts but nearly impossible to navigate on first trip around. Again thankful for the effort and maintenance just to have a place to throw but not worth traveling any distance to play.

Creative Layout

1    10/28/2013   10/29/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: The pro layout here is actually a nice little course. It hasn't got a lot of length, but it has some and there is a nice variety of shots among the nine holes.

I you aren't aware there are nine standard holes here, and while they aren't anything an experienced player should bother playing, the designer has taken the time to create two additional layouts, shooting for example, from the first tee o the standard layout to the the third basket.

It's a clever way of both creating multiple holes in very limited space and allowing that same space to appeal to players of vastly different skill sets, from beginners( I saw a young kid and his mom enjoying them) to blue-level players.

I played the pro setup and then the inbetween, "Landtroop Links" while i was there. I didn't bother with the standard layout but from what I saw, its among the easiest simplist set of holes that I have seen.

Landtroop, the middle-difficulty alignment, is closer in difficulty to the pros, but it isn't great. There are some weird holes and lines and often feels crammed in. But it should be a nice step-up for beginners who want a bit more of a challenge.

It is on the blue layout that the course truly bring something to the table. If I were to return to Pirate Point, I would probably play the blues twice instead of any of the other layouts. There aren't any standout or spectacular holes but they are all pretty solid, especially i you have the course to yourself.

The tees are also nicely done. I'm a fan of brick or tees and these work just fine. Some of them are oddly shaped, but that is because the different layouts may be shooting from the same area, but in different directions.

The highlight of the course might just be the bag stands. Some of the nicest looking that I've seen.
Cons: When I played here there were two duos and two other singles on the course. Even so, I often had to wait on someone playing a different hole of a different layout, as there is a ton of crisscrossing between the three layouts. From some tees, the light paths cross as many as seven other fairways. Basket six is used at least five times from different tees.

I also often found myself following the next tee signs and walking directly into the line of fire. This may be the most creative way I have seen of packing a multitude of holes into an extremely small space, but if there are a few groups playing on this course, people will inevitably walk through firing zones.

Whereas a lot of the blue holes are fine in themselves, it hurts how much other holes and layouts will affect your day. If you are someone that does not like waiting this might not be the course for you. For example, if you walk up to play the blue hole that tees off from standard one, (blue uses this hole twice) and slow newbs are teeing off, you will have to wait for them to finish one and two, because all of that space is in your line of fire.
Other Thoughts: <<Note for Pro Course>> This is important. The pro course is labeled on the blue tags on the bag racks for the first six holes and on independent tee signs for the last three. This is because 7-9 reuse tees that were already used in that layout but it is confusing if you are not expecting it. I tried to start on pro 7, played three holes, then looked all over the course or additional blue tee signs. If you are aware of this ahead of time, it is not a problem. Just remember, there are not three holes not associated with any layout, but there are three blue tee signs that look like they might.

Fun school course

1    1/10/2013   2/5/2013
Review By: Rossome
Pros: Short course with a fun variety of shots. Fairly easy to follow the original course with signage guiding one through the longer more difficult version. Nice but short tees, signage ok, baskets in good shape. If you are in the Amelia Island area, its fun, but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to play it on a road trip.
Cons: School grounds and parking lot can affect availability of course and shot making after hours. Tee boxes are short. Very tight for 9 holes. There were very few players on the course when I played, but if there were, it could easily become a "chuck and duck" type course.
Other Thoughts: For me, 2.5 is an average course. I give bonus points for uniqueness, scenery, cleanliness, wildlife, etc. This didn't really have any of those, but it was fun to play a round.

interesting little school course.

1    12/27/2012   12/27/2012
Review By: prerube
This review was updated on 12/30/2012
Pros: 3 little 9 hole courses in one location. so you can play 9, 18, or 27.
Concrete tile tees with bag hangers and benches.
Good signage, tape on the baskets to guide you to the next tee location, next tee signs for white layout.
Course is maintained beautifully.
Scorecards available at Kiosk
Ace board listing people who have thrown aces on the course helps prevent the inking of the baskets.
Course is very family friendly and stroller accessable.
Cons: SHORT! I have never said, "That's it?" so many times. The holes are set up for children and average 157 feet from the white tees. The Blue "pro" course averaged under 250ft. Course lacked any challenge for experienced players.
MANDOS, so many mandos! Not for safety, just to add artificial challenge. It felt like a gimmicky putt putt course with so many pointless mandos and numerous double mandos.
Players who are playing 2 seperate layouts kept crossing over each other and throwing over the others. Only one layout can be used at a time safely.
White course is very right heavy which can frustrate the newer players it is designed for, but not challenging experienced players who can turn their discs or throw a RHFH.
Course is at a school, so playing times can be limited.
3 tee signs at some tees can be a little confusing trying to figure out which one you are playing, but it is only a minor issue.
Other Thoughts: Tee pads are very funky shaped. Take a pair of blue jeans and throw them. Trace the outline of the jeans and you can probably find a tee pad here in the same shape. There was one tee pad that was a non-symetrical septogram. (shaped almost like the number 7).

The course is excellent for it's purpose of introducing kids to disc golf through physical education lessons. A little more variety on the white course and a little less dependence on mandos would make the course perfectly designed for it's intended use.
Obviously it should not need to be said since the school is just a few feet away, but NO ALCOHOL, even on the weekends.

I wish this course was near me.

5+    7/9/2012   10/24/2012
Review By: Harvy B.
Pros: -phenomenal set-up for such a small space. The first thing I noticed when I pulled up was how tight the course boundaries were. But they packed a very technical course into exceptionally tight constraints. there are only 9 pins, and 13 tee-pads but 27 possible holes to play ranging from easy warm-up par three 9 hole, to a tricky shot shaping how the heck can I pull this hole off in 3 shots difficult 9 hole.
-Easy to find, it's at the only high school in Fernandina Beach how hard can it really be.
-Tee pads are well maintained, they have bag holders, trash cans and brooms at almost every one. They also help you line out which basket you are actually shooting at by their individual shapes, which is helpful on your first time through. All but two of the tee pads are individually shaped to work for multiple pins (two of the others are spray paint on asphalt in the parking lot and one is a brick spot on a grassy island in the parking lot).
-Spectacular signage. The first layout has easy to read signs that point you in the right direction, Blue tape on the bottom of each basket will point you through the second layout (my favorite) called the pirate pro course, and yellow tape will point you to your next tee pad on the the third and hardest layout landtroop links. play the first two layouts and you will have it mastered.
-Practice basket has numbered shot points at varied distances that make warm-up a blast.
-pretty near impossible to lose a disc, but watch your eyes when reaching into the many palmettos, those things are pointy, and have razor blade sharp stems.
-Interesting wildlife, there are tons of lizards, a giant predatory bird that I only got fleeting glances of, and when I was there the ground around basket 1 moved because of all the little penny hopper frogs (freaked me out on my first drive, I had never seen that many tiny things move that had less then six legs each)
- The entire course is under a giant canopy of trees. I personally loved this because it made me focus on each shot and how I was going to shape it. (I described the course to a buddy of mine who is a big-arm thrower and he couldn't process the fact that he couldn't just throw a monster hyzer line at the basket then two putt it for par)
Cons: -Mosquitoes! They were horrible, I got the highest level deet bug spray I could find on the island and packed it with me every round. I would literally use a quarter can per round. I also played in July so I was sweating a ton.
-Heat/Humidity, this is just me being a wuss, but I live in the high dry climate Idaho, humidity is not something I am used to, sucked the life of of me my first couple of rounds.
-Cant play during school hours. Minor issue that is easy to live with.
-absolutely no body was on the course ever. This bummed me out because I was from out of town and I like throwing with new people. I was there for two weeks and threw at least a round a day and ran into a total of 3 people. For some this may be a pro, but I guess I'm a people person
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed it and it helped improve many aspects of my game, especially mid-range shots.
It is on the campus of the high school so please be respectful in all ways.

Well thought-out course

5+    8/13/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: roadrunner08
Pros: First of all, let me say that this course is one of the best, most well thought-out courses I have ever seen. The first 9 holes seem to be rather easy and could probably be played with a putter or a Roc. The tee-pads are great concrete pavers that are actually appeasing to the eye. However, the best part about the course comes after you finish the first 9. There is a sign directing you to two safari courses. These courses offer long, difficult shots. There are many obstacles and several different paths to go. There are a total of 27 different holes you can play and really not even feel like you have gone that far. No other course around here offers 27 holes.

Other good things: There is bag holder at every hole and plenty of spaces to sit. There are nice benches that are well made. There is a broom at every hole, which is great due to the canopy that you play under. Also, there is a convenient trash can at nearly every hole.

Side note: The person responsible for this course has Disc-Golf facts and Local City facts at every hole. VERY CLEVER!!!!!

Clean course. Once I figured out how to actually navigate by following the colored- tape on the bottom of the baskets, I believe that this course is one of the best that I have ever played.

Oh yeah, did I mention the Putting Circle at the front of the gym. It is set up with 10 different markers that range in distances. Great for practice.
Cons: Can only play after school hours. You need to make sure to take bug spray. Also, when the town has seen a hard rain, hole 1 (short) becomes unplayable.
Other Thoughts: Man, what a great course... Love to play it all the time...

Fun!

1    12/31/2011   12/31/2011
Review By: Chrisgeoguy
This review was updated on 10/6/2012
Pros: Great tee pads! Signs! and Layout. 9 holes now! Plus multiple layouts to play, defined at BB at hole one.

Very easy to follow. Very fun...nice change of pace from typical disc golf course.
Cons: Only open when school is not in session
Other Thoughts: Have to say that I didn't have have expectations for this this course but it was was a lot of fun. Good course to practice short game at. Plenty of obstacles to make you think twice before throwing. Mainly used a putter at the course but also brought out an Eagle to give a try. Great way to force your self to power down and focus on shot. I will definitely play this course again and would recommend.

Baskets all have yellow rim around top, not a Innova bogey band, but baskets are more visible.

A very small course

1    11/6/2011   11/9/2011
Review By: Bassclown
Pros: Fun course. Well thought out first tee with "stands" and direction board. Not a big fan of the baskets, hard to see for me. Nice tee pads. Signage was pretty good. Took a pic on my phone on the first hole of the overall layout to get around.
Cons: Short. Hard to play if more than 2 groups are on the course. Baskets (to me).
Other Thoughts: Not something to go out of the way for, but ok for a local course. There was one other group on the course that we had to wait on to finish a couple holes. Pretty common with short 6 hole courses. Could use a putter on 1-6 to tee off with. Would like to see it expanded to around the baseball fields for a couple of open holes to make a driver useful. After the other group left, we hit random baskets and it was a lot of fun. Maybe it's just me, but I like a hole that I have to use 2-3 different discs on, but it was fun.

Awesome little course

5+    10/24/2011   10/24/2011
Review By: JuanSolo
Pros: This is a small course, however the trees offer a good amount of challenge. For a small town like this, this course is an amazing thing to have. It's great to pop out there after work and play a few rounds, and it is only getting better. A man named mike does all of the upkeep and he is doing a wonderful job at it, and it just keeps improving little by little.
Cons: It is on the property of the high school so you can't play during school hours. Bring your bug spray.