Knoxville, TN
Admiral Farragut Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #5 (Taken 8/2008)
3 / 198ft.   -- / 266ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #5 Approach

Fun & quick

1    4/20/2010   4/27/2010
Review By: El Oso Peligroso
Pros: Fast rounds. If you play during the day you can easily fit in a round in 30 minutes tops. After school lets out it gets a bit more crowded but it's still a very fast play. Perfect for if you don't have a lot of time.

The fairways are fair, but still tight enough to give some challenge. It has a great balance of wooded and open holes, and even includes a water hazard on hole 6, though it is behind the pin.

Every hole is birdie-able, but I wouldn't call them all "gimmes" either, in fact only hole 2 stands out to me as a gimme.
Cons: Only 9 holes.

All the holes are pretty short save 9, and even that one won't have you reaching for more than a fairway driver.

After school lets out a lot of highschoolers show up to drink beer and smoke weed in the parking lot. Most of them don't play but a few do. I'd recommend playing during the day though.
Other Thoughts: It would be amazing if they could incorporate the trail that runs from Farragut Park to Carl Cowan Park as part of the course. I know it's probably just a pipe dream but that could easily be a world class course. It's beautiful. Take the time to walk it after your round, it's not long and well worth the walk.

This was the first course I ever played, and where I cut my teeth. I feel like my score and review are unbiased, it is a "decent/typical" park. It is a great place to learn the game though, since the holes are short and the fairways generous, but not overly so. It was great to play it again recently and blow my old record out of the water. If you haven't played it give it a shot, it won't take long and you won't regret it.

Very Nice 9-holer

1    7/14/2009   1/29/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: This is an enjoyable 9-hole course in a small but nice park along the river. There are 2 sets of tees so you can play it twice for 18 holes. The pro tees are more challenging as they are longer and/or play from different angles. The two sets of tees also make the course accessible to players of varying skill levels. The shorter tees are not real hard for experienced players, but the pro tees add a good bit of challenge.

There are some really nice holes on this course. There is a decent amount of skill needed as well- you will have to throw good tee shots for pars and birdies (this isn't just some easy, short, open 9 hole course).

The open grass fairways are lush, the wooded fairways are worn (both just as they should be.) There is a good mix of tight wooded holes, some open holes. You will have to throw hyzer, straight, and anhyzer from different tees. There is a little bit of elevation as well. Water does come into play behind a basket that is downhill.

I really liked #9 as a finishing hole with the basket surrounded by rocks- it makes the approach difficult to land under the basket.

There is also a practice basket near hole #1.
Cons: Navigation was a little tricky in a couple of spots, especially when you get out in the open because you can see multiple tees and baskets. (I accidentally played to # 7's basket off #4's tee- it makes for a great downhill ace/birdie chance! #4 plays back towards #3 but into the woods.)

The tees are little treacherous. They are small, many are elevated with a drop off at the end. I also played after a rain and they were very slick.
Other Thoughts: I played on a weekday morning and the course to myself. But I can see how this course could be pretty popular and 9-hole courses get crowded in a hurry.

Overall, I really enjoyed this course. It is one of the better 9-hole courses I have played.

Good course during the daytime

5+    1/19/2010   1/20/2010
Review By: Musicaldelial
Pros: This is a good course to play during the day time. I play it during the break in my classes at a local college. There is a good variety of shots for a 9-hole course: in and out of the woods, wide open and fully wooded areas. Hole 6 does add a water hazard, which is a nice touch. There are two concrete tees for each hole, so if you get tired of one tee, or if it becomes too easy, you can move to the other for a different spin on the hole. The general flow of the course does well with the space it is given. If you aren't familiar with the course, finding the tees for 5 is a little tricky if you don't notice the path. There's also a practice hole near the picnic area that is useful for warming up on your putting before you play as well.
Cons: During the evening hours, there are TONS of people there, so it becomes very crowded and you end up waiting to play, so it takes away from the flow of your game. Also, the parking is kinda limited. That has posed a problem a time or two when I went and played in the evening. There is a little bit of trash here and there, but I have seen worse courses. There aren't any distance markers that i can remember, and sometimes it's hard to find the alternate tee.
Other Thoughts: This is a good course to play when you want just a casual game. Once again, i wouldn't recommend it during the evening, but if you don't mind to wait, you should be fine.

Great 9-holer

5+    8/22/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: nicemeup
Pros: Lots of fun with short, tricky shots through the woods and some longer more open holes on the back half. Good use of the terrain with elevation changes and natural obstacles (river, rocks). Several holes are ace-able, though a bad shot or unlucky bounce could easily turn that into a bogey. Bring something that floats for #6 and go for it!
Cons: Can be a little crowded in the afternoons, but if you play in the morning like me, that's never a problem.
Other Thoughts: In the fall when all the leaves come down it might become really easy to lose a disc in the woods. We'll find out.

Home course

5+    7/20/2009   8/7/2009
Review By: BigBoostDSM
Pros: -2 tee boxes per hole allows you to play a 18 "different" holes
-Good variety of uphill/downhill/wooded/open
-Concrete tee boxes
-Great views of the Tennessee River
-Covered picnic area
-Practice basket
-Clean porta-potty
Cons: -Lots of high school kids just hanging around
-Trash is a problem on a few holes
-Can get extremely busy
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course to play in Knoxville because you can play it in 30 minutes or you can spend a whole day there. Hole 6 has the Tennessee River ~10' behind the pin which can make for a challenging shot. Great views from the back of the parking area. Good variety, punishment for bad shots but rewards a good throw.

B = be a bery nice 9 holer!

5+    8/14/2007   6/6/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A
Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage?if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.
I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me?.that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

Play this course early in the day!

1    5/14/2009   5/14/2009
Review By: Hophead724
Pros: Fun layout with lots a variety. This is a great course for less experienced players. It's kinda short from the red tees but, it puts much more importance on accuracy than length. More experienced players will dig the pro tees (I know two 1000+ rated pros that call this course home). Oh yeah... The Mach II's are the Dank-tastic!
Cons: Too many groups of 13 inconsiderate teenagers playing together after the Day Cares close. Play this course early in the day.
Other Thoughts: I've been playing this course for more than 10 years and it has a special place in my heart. So, if you play there and see some trash...please pick it up! There are trash cans on this course.

Ace Threat

2-4    4/9/2009   4/9/2009
Review By: swatso
Pros:
A lot of variety in a short, 9-hole course - wooded, open, in/out of woods open, downhill, uphill, hyzer, anhyzer.

Two concrete tee locations per hole. The farther teepads for the wooded holes greatly change the view you (don't) have of the basket. Practice basket.

Friendly locals. Some views of river.
Cons:
Concrete teepads short with sharp drop-off. Most tees unmarked. Most holes unmarked. Little distance information available.

Crowded. Limited Parking. Plethora of cigarette butts. Lots of trash scattered about.

Decent chance to lose a disc on #6 - downhill, with water not too far behind.
A first-time visitor should definitely take a map (available from the links/files on this site).

The long tee for #4 is a dirt patch across the driveway, near #9's long tee.

Most holes, from the shorter tees, are possible aces - while not a long thrower, I put a disc past/near the basket on every hole but #9, often with a mid-range.

#9 is probably the most challenging hole - the longest, narrowing woods on both sides, rocks in front to prevent skipping up towards basket.

Read my "Other Thoughts" First

1    7/20/2000   2/20/2009
Review By: Jimb
Pros: ***Please read my "Other Thoughts" below before proceeding with this review.***

Nice variety of holes. A couple of the holes play totally open in a grassy field. A couple play mostly in the open with the pin tucked into the woods. And the rest play deeper into the woods.

The open holes provide a nice opprotunity to just grip it and rip it, letting you air it out some. And the wooded holes definitely require accuracy. And if you get into the rough, you need to have a nice variety of shots in your arsenal to be able to get out of bad situations (tomahawks, thumbers, forehands, rollers, etc.). Some elevation changes do come into play. And the river comes into play on at least one hole. I remember being very afraid of the approach to #6 as the pin sits pretty close to the water.

I also remember really liking the raised green on hole #9. I thought that it was really a cool feature.

I can't comment on the course facilities, condition of the tees or pads, etc. as I simply don't remember. And even if I did my opinion might still not be valid.

This should be a good fun course for any level of player. Heck, I enjoyed myself playing with a real Frisbee after not having thrown at all for years. So there's your definition of beginner. And it seems like there's enough variety to make it interesting for an experienced player too.
Cons: It's really hard to say. I remember the underbrush being really thick in places, but check out other more recent reviews to see if that's still the case.

And this isn't really a fair negative, but I have to list something don't I? My best friend's wife got stung by a bee and put to rest all chances of playing a 2nd nine. She had to shoot up some Goodies Powder to get rid of the pain. It really hurt her for a couple of hours. So look out for the bees. ;-) Yes this is a silly con. I know that bees are everywhere... unless you're playing in an ice bowl that is. But I had a mosquito on my windshield today and it was only about 30 degrees out. So maybe you really do need to look out for the bees year round????
Other Thoughts: My perspective on this course is a little different than for any of the other courses that I've played and reviewed.

In the early 80s my best friend and I played our own game of target Frisbee golf. We just threw around town and around the local parks. We'd use trees, posts, trash cans, etc. for our "pins." We didn't even know that there was an official game of disc golf.

So when I had the opportunity to visit my friend and his wife in 2000 we decided ot give this "official game" a try. We just took or Whamo Frisbees out on the course to play. And I think that we laughed out loud when we saw our first group with a little golf bag full of funny shaped discs. We were like "What do you need all of that for?"

I didn't play again at all until 2007 when I got totally hooked. And my how my perspective has changed. Now I need two "little golf bags" to carry all of my discs. Actually, one big bag and one little one.

So I'd love to get back to Knoxville to play this course again in my current state of addiction. In any case, I've only ever played this course once. And it's been quite a while. And my game has totally changed.

So I'll do the best that I can from memory. The pics and maps that I had access to from this site helped refresh my feeble 41 year old memory some so hopefully I can do a reasonably good job of reviewing the course.

Thanks. Jim

Admiral Farragut Park

5+    11/27/2008   11/27/2008
Review By: warren1086
This review was updated on 5/17/2009
Pros: Good concrete tee pads, multiple tee pads ones called "advanced tee" more like beginner tees and the professional tees are a little more difficult but not too much. Good job with the landscaping, wooded holes have fairways some more tight than others. Some challenging holes but most of them are birdie able. Couple ace opportunities. Locals are pretty nice. Hole 6 plays right by the TN River. Great use of land in busy park. Practice basket located behind hole 1 with beautiful view of the TN river.
Cons: Trash and beer cans scattered over the wooded holes even though there are trash cans, stupid people decide to throw trash on ground, so I found myself picking up beer cans and walking 10 feet and throwing them away. Cages are a little out-dated with some minor rust but no big deal, they didn't spit out any of my putts so no complaints. Couple of spots can cross with other holes. A lot of groups and dumb people walking aimlessly on fairways.
Other Thoughts: Hole 6 is cool even though I skipped drive off the top of the basket and eventually went in the TN river but I fished it out. Overall pretty cool course and would definitely give it another visit.