Knoxville, TN
Admiral Farragut Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #9 (Taken 8/2008)
3 / --   3 / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

1 2 3 Next >
 B = be a bery nice 9 holer!

5+    8/14/2007   6/6/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A
Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage?if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.
I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me?.that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

Play this course early in the day!

1    5/14/2009   5/14/2009
Review By: Hophead724
Pros: Fun layout with lots a variety. This is a great course for less experienced players. It's kinda short from the red tees but, it puts much more importance on accuracy than length. More experienced players will dig the pro tees (I know two 1000+ rated pros that call this course home). Oh yeah... The Mach II's are the Dank-tastic!
Cons: Too many groups of 13 inconsiderate teenagers playing together after the Day Cares close. Play this course early in the day.
Other Thoughts: I've been playing this course for more than 10 years and it has a special place in my heart. So, if you play there and see some trash...please pick it up! There are trash cans on this course.

Ace Threat

2-4    4/9/2009   4/9/2009
Review By: swatso
Pros:
A lot of variety in a short, 9-hole course - wooded, open, in/out of woods open, downhill, uphill, hyzer, anhyzer.

Two concrete tee locations per hole. The farther teepads for the wooded holes greatly change the view you (don't) have of the basket. Practice basket.

Friendly locals. Some views of river.
Cons:
Concrete teepads short with sharp drop-off. Most tees unmarked. Most holes unmarked. Little distance information available.

Crowded. Limited Parking. Plethora of cigarette butts. Lots of trash scattered about.

Decent chance to lose a disc on #6 - downhill, with water not too far behind.
A first-time visitor should definitely take a map (available from the links/files on this site).

The long tee for #4 is a dirt patch across the driveway, near #9's long tee.

Most holes, from the shorter tees, are possible aces - while not a long thrower, I put a disc past/near the basket on every hole but #9, often with a mid-range.

#9 is probably the most challenging hole - the longest, narrowing woods on both sides, rocks in front to prevent skipping up towards basket.

Read my "Other Thoughts" First

1    7/20/2000   2/20/2009
Review By: Jimb
Pros: ***Please read my "Other Thoughts" below before proceeding with this review.***

Nice variety of holes. A couple of the holes play totally open in a grassy field. A couple play mostly in the open with the pin tucked into the woods. And the rest play deeper into the woods.

The open holes provide a nice opprotunity to just grip it and rip it, letting you air it out some. And the wooded holes definitely require accuracy. And if you get into the rough, you need to have a nice variety of shots in your arsenal to be able to get out of bad situations (tomahawks, thumbers, forehands, rollers, etc.). Some elevation changes do come into play. And the river comes into play on at least one hole. I remember being very afraid of the approach to #6 as the pin sits pretty close to the water.

I also remember really liking the raised green on hole #9. I thought that it was really a cool feature.

I can't comment on the course facilities, condition of the tees or pads, etc. as I simply don't remember. And even if I did my opinion might still not be valid.

This should be a good fun course for any level of player. Heck, I enjoyed myself playing with a real Frisbee after not having thrown at all for years. So there's your definition of beginner. And it seems like there's enough variety to make it interesting for an experienced player too.
Cons: It's really hard to say. I remember the underbrush being really thick in places, but check out other more recent reviews to see if that's still the case.

And this isn't really a fair negative, but I have to list something don't I? My best friend's wife got stung by a bee and put to rest all chances of playing a 2nd nine. She had to shoot up some Goodies Powder to get rid of the pain. It really hurt her for a couple of hours. So look out for the bees. ;-) Yes this is a silly con. I know that bees are everywhere... unless you're playing in an ice bowl that is. But I had a mosquito on my windshield today and it was only about 30 degrees out. So maybe you really do need to look out for the bees year round????
Other Thoughts: My perspective on this course is a little different than for any of the other courses that I've played and reviewed.

In the early 80s my best friend and I played our own game of target Frisbee golf. We just threw around town and around the local parks. We'd use trees, posts, trash cans, etc. for our "pins." We didn't even know that there was an official game of disc golf.

So when I had the opportunity to visit my friend and his wife in 2000 we decided ot give this "official game" a try. We just took or Whamo Frisbees out on the course to play. And I think that we laughed out loud when we saw our first group with a little golf bag full of funny shaped discs. We were like "What do you need all of that for?"

I didn't play again at all until 2007 when I got totally hooked. And my how my perspective has changed. Now I need two "little golf bags" to carry all of my discs. Actually, one big bag and one little one.

So I'd love to get back to Knoxville to play this course again in my current state of addiction. In any case, I've only ever played this course once. And it's been quite a while. And my game has totally changed.

So I'll do the best that I can from memory. The pics and maps that I had access to from this site helped refresh my feeble 41 year old memory some so hopefully I can do a reasonably good job of reviewing the course.

Thanks. Jim

Admiral Farragut Park

5+    11/27/2008   11/27/2008
Review By: warren1086
This review was updated on 5/17/2009
Pros: Good concrete tee pads, multiple tee pads ones called "advanced tee" more like beginner tees and the professional tees are a little more difficult but not too much. Good job with the landscaping, wooded holes have fairways some more tight than others. Some challenging holes but most of them are birdie able. Couple ace opportunities. Locals are pretty nice. Hole 6 plays right by the TN River. Great use of land in busy park. Practice basket located behind hole 1 with beautiful view of the TN river.
Cons: Trash and beer cans scattered over the wooded holes even though there are trash cans, stupid people decide to throw trash on ground, so I found myself picking up beer cans and walking 10 feet and throwing them away. Cages are a little out-dated with some minor rust but no big deal, they didn't spit out any of my putts so no complaints. Couple of spots can cross with other holes. A lot of groups and dumb people walking aimlessly on fairways.
Other Thoughts: Hole 6 is cool even though I skipped drive off the top of the basket and eventually went in the TN river but I fished it out. Overall pretty cool course and would definitely give it another visit.

Leave evrything but you putter

5+    9/14/2008   11/26/2008
Review By: jettaria
Pros: 2 Tee pads
Beautiful setting
good for short, tight tee shots
18 holes in an hour
confidence builder
Cons: the punk @$$ kids
on a weekend or a pretty summer afternoon, forget about it, too crowded
Other Thoughts: its a fun course to play if you go early on a weekend day or when the kids are at school. it can be a good course to play when you are trying to get your approach shots tuned or if you are just in a funk. Not worth the trip alone, but with the other area courses it would be a good warm-up round.

Beautiful scenery - confusing layout

1    11/2/2008   11/6/2008
Review By: aubuchon
Pros: Pretty park - really nice scenery. Old cedar trees make up the majority of the woods, and large rock formations add interest. The course runs along the Cumberland river.
Cons: Slightly confusing layout for a newcomer. We had to guess at the routing.
Other Thoughts: I'd like to play this course again and become more familiar with the routing.

Technical beauty

5+    10/24/2010   8/20/2008
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
This review was updated on 10/25/2010
Pros: Pretty lakefront park setting. Practice putting basket. Slight elevation & easy walk. Picnic tables with port-a-johns & good paved parking. Good mix of tight woods & open shots. Benches on most holes. Long & short (concrete) teepad locations add variety to the hole. Mix of (mown) grass & dirt fairways.
Cons: The tee pads are small & there is a high drop-off on the edge making run up difficult. During the afternoons & on weekends the place is packed with teenagers. Some are playing golf. Some are just 'hanging out' in the parking lot. Older style baskets.
Other Thoughts: It's easy to get 9 holes in so playing here at lunch or after work is easy! Water in play on one hole. Litter & graffiti cleaned up quite a bit from last time I played there.

Beginner friendly course

7/8/2008   7/11/2008
Review By: Shank
Pros: You can definately see why they picked this spot for a disc golf course. Nice scenary and look.

Course is a great place to learn how to play disc golf.

General layout of the holes is good.

Elevation changes on a lot of the holes. Some wood holes.

Cons: Not enough trash cans.

Way to many people playing in groups on this course.

Trash build up in a lot of areas.

Concrete tees are in good shape. Some I feel are to short.

Some signs, although, none of them are really readable.

Quite a few places where throws can go into areas where other people could be. Been hit in the head with a disc teeing off of the 6th hole from someone throwing from the 4th?

Not enough distance for better players. Obsticles tend to be more geared for beginner players.

Not a lot of ettiquette practiced out here. People in front of you not letting you play through, throwing multiple disc for one shot.
Other Thoughts: If you play during the day there are far less people.

Definately not worth a road trip to play. Good for some variety if you live in the area.

1 2 3 Next >