Knoxville, TN
Admiral Farragut Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #9 (Taken 8/2008)
3 / --   3 / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

5+    12/6/2010   12/6/2010
Review By: coolhand
Pros: fun fun fun little course. can be challenging from the alternate tees. requires accuracy. easy flow. quick to play. not very crowded. good mix of holes. good mix of shots. one of the better 9 holes i've played.
Cons: short 9 hole course.

Short and Quick

2-4    8/15/2010   8/16/2010
Review By: maynes35
Pros: This is a fun course. Plenty of good scoring opportunities. The setting is nice being right by the lake. There is a good mix of holes (for only being 9 holes) with 2 somewhat long holes and the rest fairly short. I liked the downhill into the lake shot, it adds a little more trouble to an already tough turning downhill shot. Good for beginners or shorter arms because they'll be able to score well if they are accurate. Plenty of trees in play but for the most part, disc finding wasn't too tough if you got off the beaten path. Porta-potties on sight, which is nice. There is a practice basket toward the lake at the end of the loop road. Two tee pads-Advanced and Professional.
Cons: The tee pads, although concrete, were short and had huge drop offs on most holes (I rarely was able to do a full X-step). Watch those ankles if you go off the front. The signage was pretty bad, only a hole #, if even that, no distance or hole layout. It's only 9 holes so it can be repetetive if you are like me and want to play 36 anytime you go out. Also the 9 holes causes everyone to be on top of one another, with no room to get seperation. Sometimes the "Pro" tee pad was tough to find and was sort of rediculous where it was placed.
Other Thoughts: My wife liked the course more than me and really wanted it to be a 3.0 rating, but the cons section shows why I left it at a 2.5 rating. I really did enjoy the course but if I am being fair to all the other really nice courses I've played, I couldn't give it a 3.0 rating. I'm a player that is almost more about the extras- benches, trashcans, nice signage and hole layouts, long tee pads without much dropoff. I live in Knoxville now and will definately play it again, but I'm going to check out the other courses first.

Short, fun course

1    8/5/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: Concrete tee pads. Baskets all in good condition. Well kept park setting. Easy to find and convenient to the interstate.

About half-open and half-wooded course, with some really nice lines.

My memorable holes:
1 - Memorable for almost being my first ace. Short-ish tunnel shot slightly downhill. My cryztal buzz hit dead center chains and just bounced right back out…DOH!.
6 - Downhill, gently right-turning ending at the pond/lake, basket about 10 feet shy. Don't overthrow, or you'll be a little lighter in the bag.
8 - Woods on the right, playing uphill, with trees just short of the basket guarding it. A good long flick gets around the trees just right.
9 - As much of a signature hole as this course has. Playing from open into the trees, the basket is slightly elevated in some rocky landscaping.
Cons: Older course that apparently sees it's share of traffic. Tee signs are sparse, and without the map on here you will end up spending some extra time finding next holes and knowing which tee is pro vs. am.

There was a good bit of trash when I played, and I didn't see too many trash cans, nor benches, etc. The only facilities on-site that I could find was a so-so porta-john. Parking seemed somewhat limited and if many people showed up at once you might not find a spot.

I played during the day, but according to a local and several of the other reviews, you don't want to play here in the evenings if hoards of teens drinking and puffing bothers you.
Other Thoughts: My rating of a 2.5 is indicative of this course being an older, shorter design that is somewhat worn down and somewhat lacking in upkeep/amenities. I don't want to say that it is not worth playing, it really is. I had a lot of fun playing here, and one bonus is the speed with which you can get a round done in, if there is no traffic.

If you are in the Knoxville area, I consider this a short fun course you definitely need to have on your list, but to keep it quick an easy, play during the day.

Easygoing Course

1    6/5/2010   6/6/2010
Review By: makisoccer
Pros: This course was decently easy to play and does not require a lot of endurance. It was an easygoing relaxing course with pretty views of the lake as you go through. There was pretty good variety of shots through woods and fields.
Cons: The baskets should be numbered as well bc there was some confusion on which basket to throw to. The next tee off should also be labeled better. There is one basket that is only a few feet away from the lake which discs could easily be thrown into.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course. It was a good course if you wanted to do a quick run with pretty scenery.

Ad Farragut

1    5/18/2008   5/18/2010
Review By: eaeastwood
Pros: I played this course a ton while in school at UT, and I've last played it in spring of 2008 and it was pretty much the same as I remembered. Pretty short course for first 6 holes which require some very technical shots. The last 3 holes are pretty open. The alternate tees make it feel like a completely different course. I always' played the short tees to warm up and the longer tees after. Shoot, one reviewer said you could play a round in about 30 minutes which I agree with, I would almost always play 27 holes in about an hour and half.
Cons: Pretty small course with no real need for driver except the last 3 holes. Not a great use of the elevation changes.
Other Thoughts: Generally pretty fun course and great to bring newbies to learn as the course doesn't require long distances to keep up. Some people complained about being crowded and too many people. There were often many large groups playing there (because it was a fun course) and if they didn't let me play through, I would simply skip holes and come back and play those later. The course is on a pretty small footprint and easy to do this. Most of the time though, people let you play through. Just ask. When I return to Knoxville on future dates, I will play this course.

Fun & quick

1    4/20/2010   4/27/2010
Review By: El Oso Peligroso
Pros: Fast rounds. If you play during the day you can easily fit in a round in 30 minutes tops. After school lets out it gets a bit more crowded but it's still a very fast play. Perfect for if you don't have a lot of time.

The fairways are fair, but still tight enough to give some challenge. It has a great balance of wooded and open holes, and even includes a water hazard on hole 6, though it is behind the pin.

Every hole is birdie-able, but I wouldn't call them all "gimmes" either, in fact only hole 2 stands out to me as a gimme.
Cons: Only 9 holes.

All the holes are pretty short save 9, and even that one won't have you reaching for more than a fairway driver.

After school lets out a lot of highschoolers show up to drink beer and smoke weed in the parking lot. Most of them don't play but a few do. I'd recommend playing during the day though.
Other Thoughts: It would be amazing if they could incorporate the trail that runs from Farragut Park to Carl Cowan Park as part of the course. I know it's probably just a pipe dream but that could easily be a world class course. It's beautiful. Take the time to walk it after your round, it's not long and well worth the walk.

This was the first course I ever played, and where I cut my teeth. I feel like my score and review are unbiased, it is a "decent/typical" park. It is a great place to learn the game though, since the holes are short and the fairways generous, but not overly so. It was great to play it again recently and blow my old record out of the water. If you haven't played it give it a shot, it won't take long and you won't regret it.

Very Nice 9-holer

1    7/14/2009   1/29/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: This is an enjoyable 9-hole course in a small but nice park along the river. There are 2 sets of tees so you can play it twice for 18 holes. The pro tees are more challenging as they are longer and/or play from different angles. The two sets of tees also make the course accessible to players of varying skill levels. The shorter tees are not real hard for experienced players, but the pro tees add a good bit of challenge.

There are some really nice holes on this course. There is a decent amount of skill needed as well- you will have to throw good tee shots for pars and birdies (this isn't just some easy, short, open 9 hole course).

The open grass fairways are lush, the wooded fairways are worn (both just as they should be.) There is a good mix of tight wooded holes, some open holes. You will have to throw hyzer, straight, and anhyzer from different tees. There is a little bit of elevation as well. Water does come into play behind a basket that is downhill.

I really liked #9 as a finishing hole with the basket surrounded by rocks- it makes the approach difficult to land under the basket.

There is also a practice basket near hole #1.
Cons: Navigation was a little tricky in a couple of spots, especially when you get out in the open because you can see multiple tees and baskets. (I accidentally played to # 7's basket off #4's tee- it makes for a great downhill ace/birdie chance! #4 plays back towards #3 but into the woods.)

The tees are little treacherous. They are small, many are elevated with a drop off at the end. I also played after a rain and they were very slick.
Other Thoughts: I played on a weekday morning and the course to myself. But I can see how this course could be pretty popular and 9-hole courses get crowded in a hurry.

Overall, I really enjoyed this course. It is one of the better 9-hole courses I have played.

Good course during the daytime

5+    1/19/2010   1/20/2010
Review By: Musicaldelial
Pros: This is a good course to play during the day time. I play it during the break in my classes at a local college. There is a good variety of shots for a 9-hole course: in and out of the woods, wide open and fully wooded areas. Hole 6 does add a water hazard, which is a nice touch. There are two concrete tees for each hole, so if you get tired of one tee, or if it becomes too easy, you can move to the other for a different spin on the hole. The general flow of the course does well with the space it is given. If you aren't familiar with the course, finding the tees for 5 is a little tricky if you don't notice the path. There's also a practice hole near the picnic area that is useful for warming up on your putting before you play as well.
Cons: During the evening hours, there are TONS of people there, so it becomes very crowded and you end up waiting to play, so it takes away from the flow of your game. Also, the parking is kinda limited. That has posed a problem a time or two when I went and played in the evening. There is a little bit of trash here and there, but I have seen worse courses. There aren't any distance markers that i can remember, and sometimes it's hard to find the alternate tee.
Other Thoughts: This is a good course to play when you want just a casual game. Once again, i wouldn't recommend it during the evening, but if you don't mind to wait, you should be fine.

Great 9-holer

5+    8/22/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: nicemeup
Pros: Lots of fun with short, tricky shots through the woods and some longer more open holes on the back half. Good use of the terrain with elevation changes and natural obstacles (river, rocks). Several holes are ace-able, though a bad shot or unlucky bounce could easily turn that into a bogey. Bring something that floats for #6 and go for it!
Cons: Can be a little crowded in the afternoons, but if you play in the morning like me, that's never a problem.
Other Thoughts: In the fall when all the leaves come down it might become really easy to lose a disc in the woods. We'll find out.

Home course

5+    7/20/2009   8/7/2009
Review By: BigBoostDSM
Pros: -2 tee boxes per hole allows you to play a 18 "different" holes
-Good variety of uphill/downhill/wooded/open
-Concrete tee boxes
-Great views of the Tennessee River
-Covered picnic area
-Practice basket
-Clean porta-potty
Cons: -Lots of high school kids just hanging around
-Trash is a problem on a few holes
-Can get extremely busy
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course to play in Knoxville because you can play it in 30 minutes or you can spend a whole day there. Hole 6 has the Tennessee River ~10' behind the pin which can make for a challenging shot. Great views from the back of the parking area. Good variety, punishment for bad shots but rewards a good throw.