Camp Hill, PA
Creekside DGC Share
Uploaded By: KAK3990 Hole #14 (Taken 7/2011)
Monster Alley (Holes 14-16)

< Prev 1 2 3

2-4    12/22/2013   12/26/2013
Review By: connecticutsfinest
Pros: Great mix of short and long holes great teepads love the elevated tee on 16 it was beginner friendly so my girlfriend enjoyed the course a lot locals were very friendly
Cons: The creek was cold lol went swimming twice
Other Thoughts: Loads of fun filled with ace runs I thought hey super easy course till I got to 14 and 15 those are the make it or break it holes I lost two discs they were returned to me the next day I absolutely loved the course

A unique design

2-4    7/20/2013   8/5/2013
Review By: bnbanbury
Pros: -Pretty park on a scenic creek (river) and looks very well kept
-Excellent signage with accurate distances and illustrations
- The plethora of O.B. and mandos on the course make the course much more technical than it would otherwise be which i suppose might be a con for some but i always like technical golf.
-multiple pin positions for a number of holes and multiple tees
-16 long was a true signature hole with a wooded fairway from a very elevated tee for your first shot. Then a throw down an O.B.-lined easement that finishes to a protected pin on the side of a hill.
-Club is very active and the locals i met were incredibly friendly.
Cons: -The negatives of this course are a product of the property that the club has to work with. While i don't mind courses with lots of O.B. i don't enjoy the O.B. being people's back yards as it is on a number of holes. I also would have trouble coming here for round after round of golf. Even with the lengths the club has gone to to make this short course more challenging, the front nine in particular is less than thrilling golf.
Other Thoughts: This is probably one of the best designs i've seen for a course as every inch of this property was squeezed for this design. I think if people had seen the land available before the course was installed they would have said you couldn't put a course here. The negatives about this course are an inherent part of having a course in this restricted space but i really respect the efforts to make a very decent course on this narrow strip of land. I didn't mention the tees above because i wasn't sure if they were a pro or con. They are a mix of concrete patches and asphalt paving (and i think 2 natural) and they often don't allow for a complete run up on the tee. Rather you have to start off the tee and use the small concrete patch just to plant and throw, which i did without difficulty. Overall i've enjoyed my rounds here and look forward to my next time out.

A decent course

5+    7/17/2012   8/2/2013
Review By: mSchmoe41
Pros: I like the mandos. I like the layout of the holes. I like how the course has 'monster alley' because you to get work on different shots The elevation of hole 16 and the staircase up I think is a nice addition to the course. Gives it some nice character and at that height, you can either have a great throw or you can be punished for a wayward throw. The people I met on the course are very welcoming and very nice. I think those that keep it up do a good job at it.
Cons: The last time I played, if I remember correctly the course either got hit with some heavy rain and it is a course that can affected by rain. The location for me because of the time I would normally be going, traffic is terrible and I don't like contending with the traffic to get there. Holes along the side of property line is not something I like. Even though 'monster alley' is on my pro comment section I have to put it on my con comment section because it is too drastically different from the rest of the course. I personally like a consistent variety over. drastic difference.
Other Thoughts: Overall I think it is good course to play.

A Course for All

1    9/23/2012   9/23/2012
Review By: el_duder
Pros: -Tee Signs: I like the art on the tee signs, plus they're loaded with info regarding different tee locations, distances, pars. It'd be nice to get them all on posts, but they're still really nice signs.
-Scenery: A very nice park tucked into a suburban neighborhood with a nice stream providing a peaceful soundtrack to your round of golf, unless you toss a disc into the stream!
-Monster Alley: These three holes were great! They really gave the course a good bit of character after a ho-hum front nine.
-Maintenance/Facilites: Scorecards were available at tee one and a disc return box is located between 8 and 9. The park is well maintained and also offers a picnic pavillion, playground, baseball field and port-a-potty.
Cons: -Layout: The front nine don't offer much in the way of variety, but at least they aren't all straight shots to a basket in a field. Hole 10 would actually make me more nervous than the creek if the parking lot had been full.
-Tee pads: Concrete is nice but they're a little small almost to the point where a toe board would be better.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this was a pretty nice round of disc golf. The front nine were a little cramped and didn't offer much variety, but they were fun and the threat of hyzering a disc into the creek kept us on our toes. The course really picked up from 12 to 17 with the meat being Monster Alley. Hole 14 didn't treat me well, but I marked it as a favorite of mine just for the twisted trees, lumpy ground and hanging basket (It was in B position). We didn't get to play hole 5 due to construction nearby.

I'm glad we stopped to enjoy this course, it's probably not a course you'd drive to far to play at, but if we're in the area and have some time to kill, I'd like to play it again.

Not bad for the location

1    9/7/2012   9/7/2012
Review By: chariotherr
Pros: The designer did a nice job with what was available: a very narrow park with little room for any real distance. When I showed up and saw where the course was, I had low expectations. And was mildly surprised. It's too short and without enough challenge for me to consider it a "real" course, but it's not bad. A few cool holes, but it gets pretty repetitive pretty quick.
Cons: -Hole placement was occasionally right up next to a hedge (hole 6 is currently right up against a chain link fence as construction is happening on the other side.
-Not a destination course. If I lived nearby, I would love having it to play, but it's not worth traveling to go to, and barely worth stopping by if you're passing through.
Other Thoughts: 1.5 stars might be a bit harsh, but relative to other pretty good courses taht got a lot of 2 and 3 star reviews, I think 1.5 is appropriate.

Creekside

1    7/28/2012   7/28/2012
Review By: jordanferg92
Pros: 1. Concrete tees
2. Tees have map, par, distance, alt tees
3. Pretty easy to follow
4. Uses the creek as a hazard well
5. Located on a nice park w/ portapotty
Cons: 1. Not great to play after rain
2. Maps can be hard to understand
3. I'm not a fan of the mandos
4. Bigger tees would be nice
Other Thoughts: This was a fun course and it had a unique layout. I enjoyed playing by the creek and being able to see the water. The front 9 holes were pretty easy and fun while the back 9 provided a more challenging play. Finding tee 14 was a pain, follow the trail further from the park. Overall this was a great fun course to play. The front nine was great for beginners while the back nine was great for the more experienced players. 15 hole A has been moved to the B location so look out for that. Again this was a good course and I would like to go play it again when it's dry. I'm giving it a 2.5 because there wasn't really anything that set it apart from any other course that I've played. Definitely recommend checking out though.

Nice Surprise

1    7/2/2012   7/3/2012
Review By: Brijac
Pros: Nice park near a large stream that comes into play on quite a few holes. The front nine is mostly wide open, but the bit trees come in to play. Holes on the back nine become tighter and more creative. The 15th hole was extremely tough and had a great hanging basket at the end. The next hole had a breathtaking view from its elevated tee.
Cons: One hole was missing a basket and another hole missing a sign/tee box.
Other Thoughts: Definitely will play this course again the next time in the area.

Great use of land

1    5/23/2009   5/23/2012
Review By: Airubus
Pros: Great mix of left and righty (or backhand and sidearm shots) this course will temper you and make you learn to play with a large body of water next you you. great course for beginners. and the locals are very friendly, and Jeff is likely to join you for a round, then invite you back to his house for a campfire and dinner with his family. did i mention the tiki torches for GLOW GOLF??
Cons: There can be some crazy vegetation on the back nine. it IS a flood plane, and the crawdads can certainly show you pictures of baskets under water. some of the fairways will border eachother, so beware of oncoming discs. dont be afraid to creekwalk if you lose a disc!
Other Thoughts: My first ace EVER was on this course, hole number 1...and Jeff paid me $$$ for it!

Great use of space...

1    3/8/2012   4/27/2012
Review By: jordyheath
Pros: Small area to work with..very well organized tees and baskets...very simple to navigate for a traveling golfer...good mix of shots with water and ob in play...
Cons: Pretty easy course
Other Thoughts: Would definitely play here again next time in Harrisburg

Water Hazards Galore!

1    3/31/2012   3/31/2012
Review By: jblough
Pros: Course plays in a park that is about as wide as a football field and obviously much longer. Holes 1-5 line the creek and the rest of the back nine hugs the other side of the park, which is lined by a bunch of houses. Back nine follows a similar pattern, except the holes get longer and slightly more technical (see below)

- There's a clear dichotomy between the front and back nine here. The front nine is more or less a pitch-and-putt course, which is great for beginners. The back nine has longer, more technical shots. When played together, the first half is a great warm-up for the second half.

- Decent signage leads you around the course, which is pretty intuitive to begin with. No real need for a map here.

- Water hazards and mandos make the course more interesting. The water hazards do intimidate you a little, but also force you to be more accurate. Fortunately the creek isn't too deep if you do launch one in there.

- Birdie city. I think I sank at least 7 birdies on this course due to the short holes and easy shot selection.

- Looks like the course has a good disc golf community, which is always nice to see. I'd like to play here when they light up the tiki torches!

Notable holes:

#8 - Low clearance throw off the tee must then pass a tree mando and go right of the target.

#11 - The one long-bomb open air shot in the course. A straight shot to the tee.

#12 - Well-placed shot that requires you to throw to the right of a tree. The trick here is getting around the mando without putting your disc in the drink.

#13-15: much longer holes (~400ft) that are in a very densely wooded section of the park known as "Monster Alley." The holes play very close to the creek and are much more challenging than the rest of the course. Hole #14 has a neat hanging basket, which is one of the coolest parts of the course.
Cons: - Lots of opportunities (due to the narrow nature of the park) for holes to cross. I had the whole course to myself so it wasn't an issue, but I can see this being a big problem if there were crowds playing.

- While holes #14-16 are tight, technical, and fun, they could also use some TLC. Tons of dead hanging limbs, flood debris, and overgrowth of vegetation on the path make it look more like a jungle than a disc golf course.

- Not much variety in the shots. Sure, some hug the river; others require right and left mandos, but aside from the notable holes above, it feels like you're throwing the same shot throughout the course.

- Not a fan of all the houses/private property by the course. I know this isn't the park's fault, but it's unnerving to think that an errant throw in someone's yard is technically trespassing.

- Tees are too short and don't allow for any run-up.
Other Thoughts: Even though there's nothing incredibly notable about this course, I'd definitely play it again. The limitations of the course are the limitations of the park: it's just too narrow and homogenous to have more variety and distance in the shots. Nevertheless, it's a great opportunity to practice accuracy on the forehand and backhand.

There's no better combination than going to Appalachian Brewing Company in Camp Hill then playing a round here; or vice versa.

< Prev 1 2 3