Lincolnton, NC
#8 Tee Box-Basket plays almost straight ahead protected by some trees

uggg

2-4    6/15/2012   9/26/2012
Review By: inspector_dek
Pros: well being from lincolnton I am glad they have put one there.
Cons: every thing else. Not fun. No challenge. not set up well.
Other Thoughts: if you live close and need a place to practice and its the day before trash pick up and you cant use your trash can. I guess you can go there.

Design Flaw

5+    4/5/2010   4/5/2010
Review By: extrovert
Pros: It's there.
Cons: It's there.
Other Thoughts: I designed this course. I pitched the idea to Lincoln County & they bit, then they provided me little to no money & little to no land to use in building it. It was originally supposed to be a full course and extend back into the wooded areas but they changed their minds on that idea. I actually had to beg for what little bit of land is used and then early into setting the course up I took a job in Charlotte and wasn't able to work on the course any longer. It was my first attempt at creating a course & it could have been great. I've played all over the USA and had great ideas for this park, sadly, they remain ideas.

Mindbendingly Mediocre

1    6/17/2009   6/17/2009
Review By: billnchristy
This review was updated on 6/19/2009
Pros: Uhhh....
Bathrooms nearby?
1 is a good place to get your first ace.
Cons: 5 and 6 unplayable due to some kind of commune set up? There was a car parked in front of 5...I was tempted to just throw but maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
8 had a pile of cinder blocks stacked up around it...now rocks like Rankin is cool because it is natural...a pile of cinder blocks is not something I consider a quality obstacle.
The bathroom had more urine on the floor than could have possibly ever been in the toilet itself.
The course was a pond from all the rain the last few days (not something I count against, but it added to the craptasticness).
Other Thoughts: Now many know that I am not the most harsh reviewer but this course was the absolute worst I have played. The people camping compounded the problem but it probably would've gotten something near a 1 without them.
There is a raging river next to 9 and while it is a decent bit off the line I could just see shanking a disc in there to top the day off so I skipped it too.
Back in the woods just had a deliverance vibe to me...I had given thought to walking the trail to see where it went but did not feel like "squealing like a pig" tonight. This is not a slam on the location...the town actually reminded me of upstate NY...it was just the vibe I got being alone in the rain.
I think the course could be a solid 2 if it was revamped and utilized the land better.

**I found a tick the size of the width of my pinky last night on my hip (played the day prior)...please be careful!! **

2-4    4/30/2009   5/2/2009
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 5/5/2009
Pros: There are nine baskets. There is a map.
- Course is not crowded, so you have plenty of time to practice.
- Good course for newcomers.
- The park gets plenty of use, so there could be plenty of chances to introduce people to the game.
Cons: It's not a good course, a very poorly designed layout.
- My biggest gripe about the course is that it ends no where close to the beginng. The first tee is at the front of the park. The course then winds around a rec center and ball field. So far, so good. Then #9 ends all the way in the back of the park, in middle of the woods. You are close to nothing when you finish and you have a long walk back to the parking lot, near the first tee. You can either backtrack past most of the 9 holes you just played, follow a path that make a long loop around the woods, or make your own path through the woods, to make the walk slightly shorter.
- Most holes offer no real challenge. Too many holes that are just straight ahead throws. #7 & 8 were the only decently laid-out holes.
- No tee pads.
- As has been mentioned already, #4's layout is a lawsuit waiting to happen. If people are around, you're better off skipping the hole than risking hitting anyone.
- On #2, the hole is set up where you can bounce your disc off the rec center's wall. Actually, that may be a good thing for you, but the rec center may not appreciate it.
Other Thoughts: As I mentioned above, ending the course in the woods in the back of the park is not the best way to lay out a course. That said, there seemed to be more room in the woods, where with some effort, several good holes could be built to replace some of the bad holes, turning this into a decent 9-hole course. I say eliminate holes 1 - 4, improve #5 and make it the new first hole, then build a good course that loops through the woods. The back of the course doesn't get much use, so why not utilize it for disc golfers?
- I could not find the long tees. I looked around and didn't see any worn out areas in the grass, indicating it could be a tee area.
- My favorite part of being there was a creepy guy using a metal detector throughout the playground. Not sure what "buried treasure" he was looking for in the sand, but he seemed determined.

5+    4/4/2009   4/27/2009
Review By: JackAce
This review was updated on 4/15/2010
Pros: A course to practice at or to teach new player show to play. It's pretty short so you can teach players without them getting too discouraged. Not alot of DG traffic. Course map near parking lot near #1. Course is easy to navigate. Each hole has posts where the tee pads are supposedly at. Course is in a nice family park with bathroom facilities, and plenty of parking all around the park. I like the fact that #2 goes beside the rec center, so you have a giant "wall "playing down the left side of the fairway. It's not a natural object, but it adds a cool narrowing of the hole.
Cons: #3 & #5 are often unplayable because of "park-goers" in the way. #4 could be a great hole if it was not right beside a playground. #9 does end in an odd spot. You can take the path all the way around and come out right beside #2 and the parking lot if there has been no recent rain. Otherwise just cut back up #9 fairway and walk passed the pool and rec center to the parking lot. The tee pads are not clearly marked. Park is nice but the course is poorly kept up.
Other Thoughts: For a 9 hole course it's not bad. The park director and a few who play there are in the process of making some improvements to the course. Additional tee boxes for a longer course. (Blue I believe) Possibly moving some baskets around. I think with a little work this could be a very cool 9 hole course. If you live nearby definitely drop by and play. The more traffic the course get, the more work can be done. The park director needs to see the traffic to keep working on the course.

* I have not seen any recent work done to the course. 3,4, & 5 are nearly impossible to play if anybody is in the park. They really need to rethink the layout if they expect people to come play this course.

D+ = Doesn't have much happenin' for a 9 holer

1    9/16/2007   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- D
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- D+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C

Betty G.

5+    10/24/2008   1/13/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
Pros: One of the more "technical" nine hole courses I have played. Offers a decent amount of shot variety. Has great facilities with vending machines and clean restrooms. Course is easy to navigate and a map is posted at the parking lot near hole two.
Cons: Some of the holes dont play naturally. A Volleyball net interferes with #4's fairway. There is also a playground that is dangerously close to hole fours teepad and could be a problem for hole 3.
Other Thoughts: Unless you live close by this course probably isnt worth the drive or effort.

Great Practice

5+    12/24/2008   1/2/2009
Review By: willstradamus
This review was updated on 3/15/2009
Pros: Large Course Directory facing parking lot. Great for practicing anhyzer and hyzer lines as well as trying "new" shots such as rollers, sidearms, and skip shots. Playable with only one disc which makes for a perfect course to teach a friend how to play. Sharks are sold in the office for only 6 dollars. Volleyball net has been moved. The holes do not collide with other holes or fairways. You can play for hours with no DG traffic
Cons: only nine holes. they have added a bench that plays a factor on #2 but can be easily moved.
Other Thoughts: I frequently play this course and credit it with shaving at least multiple strokes off my score on Larger courses.

New "Long Version" adds a whole new feel to the course. long signs are still to come.

Short

1    9/22/2008   9/22/2008
Review By: YonderScott
Pros: It's a disc golf course. Each hole has a tee sign. There is a map of the course onsite. Easy to get in a quick round.
Cons: There are a couple of issues with this course. #2 plays right between a building and the woods. There are some lower branches in the way and it's hard to get a shot off. #3 has some horseshoe pits in the fairway. #4 has the tee box nestled between the woods and benches for parents of kids playing on the playground that is next to the fairway. In the fairway is the volleyball court. You have to throw the disc over the net, but don't throw to high or it will hit the power lines that are in the fairway. Once around the corner if you are off with your shot a little it will end up in the baseball field. #5 tee box is really close to the 8 fairway. #9 ends near the basket for #4. You either have to hike up the nature trail or come out of the woods and walk across #4, #3 and #2 to get back to your car.
Other Thoughts: This is a short pitch and putt course, I only used a driver once and that was on #4 to try and make the turn. I would not recommend driving very far to play this course, but if you do you will want to go during off hours. If there are alot of people in the park it makes 3 and 4 really hard to play.