College Park, MD
Calvert Road Park Share
Uploaded By: Cgkortz Hole #2 (Taken 10/2013)
Hole #2 Red Tee

Good upkeep, beginner friendly

1    7/8/2012   7/14/2012
Review By: crandellfamily
Pros: The park had taken an obvious beating from a huge storm a few days previously, but the course was in good playing condition when I visited. Some very large mounds of fallen trees and branches, but nothing that hurt playability. Congrats to the folks who did all that work and keep the course in good shape.

Good tee pads, easy to navigate. Fun for a very quick round. I played my first 18 from the whites in about an hour, and never got off track from one hole to the next.

Good use of the trees to add variety. There's no thick woods to shoot through. Almost every hole is short and semi-wooded, but I don't agree with the impression that most of the holes feel the same. The targets often require a specific angle of approach. Several baskets are well-placed to make you think about your throw from the tee. A few examples:

• the huge tree that can block the basket on #8

• the line of trees that run along the left of #9, and eliminate any use of my typical forehand anhyzer

• the low-hanging branches on #10 that beg for a low trajectory

Favorite holes:

3 - plays a little longer, with the fairway and basket favoring a straight shot through an alley of trees

13 - curls slightly right, following the angle of a slight depression

14 - a more pronounced and protected curl right; trees well-used to frame both the fairway and the basket

16 - one of the shortest holes, but the trees are well-scattered to threaten the drive/approach

18 - enough open space for a longer drive, with the basket again well-placed among a few larger trees
Cons: Overall the course is short, straight, very flat, and crammed into a tight space. Very little challenge for better players. The course suited my hacker's game just fine, but this is far removed from a championship-level test. Not much variety in play between the white and blue tee boxes overall.

The mandos can get incredibly gimmicky. 17 is an extreme example. The gap between the double mando is very tight and far left of the natural trajectory of the hole. Even worse, it's about 15 feet from the tee, and nowhere near in line with the angle of the tee box. To get any hope for a successful drive, you have to throw a banana anhyzer across your body, and just hope you have the arc peaking at the right moment to both shoot the gap and avoid the branches beyond.
Other Thoughts: Not a scenic layout. Almost the entire lay of the land is visible from the parking lot. And even though the setting is clean, the baskets and signage are showing their age. It can be a fun course to play, well suited to beginners, but I don't see much reason to go out of your way to find it.

Lots of Average

1    4/17/2012   4/17/2012
Review By: clipnfly
Pros: Nice 18 holes. Good tee pads. Multiple pads on each hole. Good signs. Next basket arrows help a lot. Benches on many tees. Zero trash on this course. Kudos to the locals for keeping it so clean despite a lack of trash cans. Plenty of trees here. Holes are laid out well using the trees to define fairways. There are many huge stumps of very old and very large removed trees. Many good, solid medium trees and a number of small today, later to be big, trees. Nice eye to the future. The course plays through well despite the look, at first glance that there is a pad and a basket sort of randomly everywhere. As I played it I was surprised to see it actually made sense. A few mandos marked VERY clearly sprayed on the trees dictate some shot placement.
Cons: Just a bit boring. It felt like all the holes were about the same length. Every hole just sort of felt like every other hole. The baskets are pretty much in front of you and there are trees to thread, go round or pass by… and after a while all the trees, all the baskets and all the holes look and feel the same. The packed in layout uses the space very well… but it does not make for much distinction. Even with 3 pads on nearly all holes… all pads play pretty much just like every other pad. Maybe one pad is a bit longer or shorter, but the shot line is pretty much the same. There is zero elevation change on the course. I get the feeling it is muggy and buggy here in the height of the summer… would be a con later in the year… but not on my visit today. Lack of a course map was a disappointment on the GDCR web site… and after playing through I would love to have a birds-eye view of the course due to the ziggy-zaggy, wanderiness of the layout
Other Thoughts: Every hole here can be an ace run if your arm is big enough. It is really a par 2 course all the way around. If you can set up and land a drive within 30' of the pin you can get your long putting game dialed in and drop deuces all day. I am rating the course as solidly average… which is O.K. Average golf is still good, worthwhile golf. I just doubt I would play here a lot of I had other area choices due to lack of variety. I try to pick a signature hole on every course… and this is really the problem with this course. Except for the nice, deeper hyzer on hole #1 and the mini tree tunnel in which the hold #1 basket sits, every other of the 17 holes looks, feels, and plays exactly like every other hole. None of them stood out in my mind as memorable. When I try to picture any hole I see every hole. One way I was thinking the course could be tweaked would be to alter basket placement using some of these trees… the problem is that with the 18 packed tightly into this area there is little lateral space for alteration from where the baskets have landed. I think the attempt here must have been made to provide variety using all those tee pads… But, as mentioned earlier… there is not real difference in the pads locations relative to the holes. I played Bluemont this weekend as well. I liked that course a lot, compared to this one. I read reviews from another player of both courses and his comments were exactly opposite of mine. He loved this place and really disliked Bluemont. Go figure.

TREES!!!

1    4/24/2011   4/24/2011
Review By: aDedhed
Pros: it was a fun challenging course. the trees that were everywhere weren't overwhelming but there were plenty of them to challenge yourself
Cons: very flat and condensed. every throw you had to check to make sure you didn't hit someone

Better Hide You're Kids, Hide You're Wife

2-4    9/10/2010   9/18/2010
Review By: kennykaka
Pros: This course has long holes and is well maintained. There is a museum that sells a good selection of innova discs and small bag. Had a 20% off sale on discraft, may not be selling discraft anymore
Cons: Dishonest people all around you! I forgot my disc and person called to tell me he left it under info. station. I was 2 minutes away but that wasn't quick enough. People constantly speeding threw the park. No elevation change.

East Coast Footbag Championships

1    10/4/2009   11/29/2009
Review By: Wreckmaster13
Pros: WOW, the most disc players I have ever seen playing a one time. Very Nice park with multiple tees for every basket. Open wooded shots
Cons: I dont believe a map could have helped me find the tee boxes. The course was very confusing to follow. If not for the friendly players in the park, I would have left after the front nine. I joined a group and played on. There were a lot of holes that ran right beside each other. Very Tight.
Other Thoughts: I visit College Park every year for The East Coast Championship Footbag Tourny. My disc will always make the trip with me. I like the course enough to come back for more. My suggestions would be the little arrows on the bottom of the baskets, pointing to the next tee, They should point at the middle tee.

Overall- Great course.

Too wet for AM play

1    4/28/2009   8/16/2009
Review By: AusTexDoc
Pros: concrete tee pads, the legacy of being a great course when we were throwing 141's and 165'2. Shady, easy to follow, good parking. Closest course from DC and fairly easy to find.
Cons: Both times I've played early AM- much too much dew and wet grass. My towel got soaked in no time (I hate wet discs and poor footing) Little variability and no change in elevation.
Other Thoughts: A good course to practice shaping your lines. I will have to try it dry sometime. Maybe next time I'll bring my old Whamo

Where I learned to play

5+    12/21/2008   1/29/2009
Review By: craigg
Pros: - Very beginner friendly.
- Large trees make for an easy shady walk in hot weather
- Three sets of concrete tees, and up to 3 pin placements per hole make for nice variety.
- Adequate Parking
- Discs for sale across the street
- Local doubles and monthly events make organized/inexpensive play accessible to anybody
- Right down the street from U of MD
- Just a couple miles inside the capitol beltway makes it easy to find / easy to get to.
Cons: No elevation - being all flat makes the course not overly challenging, and it gets a little swampy when it rains.
Other Thoughts: This is the course where I learned to play. I probably played 2-3 rounds a day for 4 months straight back in 1987/88 when it was just Mach I baskets. Tree density is such that control is at a higher premium than distance, but not so dense that errant shots are punished (they are not). A fun course to play, or to introduce someone to the sport on.