College Park, MD
Calvert Road Park Share
Uploaded By: Cgkortz Hole #9 (Taken 10/2013)
Hole #9 Blue Tee

Better Hide You're Kids, Hide You're Wife

2-4    9/10/2010   9/18/2010
Review By: kennykaka
Pros: This course has long holes and is well maintained. There is a museum that sells a good selection of innova discs and small bag. Had a 20% off sale on discraft, may not be selling discraft anymore
Cons: Dishonest people all around you! I forgot my disc and person called to tell me he left it under info. station. I was 2 minutes away but that wasn't quick enough. People constantly speeding threw the park. No elevation change.

Good practice course

1    7/21/2010   7/24/2010
Review By: macqude
Pros: Well marked tees and baskets. Lots of shade. The grounds were well maintained at least when I played. This is a great course for practicing and introducing new people to the sport.
Cons: Really did not encounter any cons except a few deer chased my frisbee.
Other Thoughts: Will be playing here again.

High Flyin Fun!

5+    7/6/2010   7/20/2010
Review By: G Bud
Pros: *Fun & Challenge for all skill levels. Excellent for introducing folks to the game.
*Park / Course clean and well maintained. Good Club Support.
*Multiple tees (Red, White & Blue) Nice good size concrete pads.
*Multiple Pin positions. Mach III Baskets in very good shape & catch well.
*Signage is pretty good. Flow is easy to follow. Benches on many holes.
*Great use of property. Every ounce of DG has been squeezed from the space.
*Flat, moderately wooded terrain works great to practice a variety of shots.
*Design favors the player. Mistakes are not often punished too badly.
*Discs available for purchase up the street at the aviation museum.
*Good Parking / Restroom (Portajohn)
*Fairly easy to get to from DC Beltway / Metro close by. (Green Line)
*Not far from College Park with other trendy amenities.
Cons: *During wet times, course may become soggy & buggy.
*Design is tight. Players need to beware of other players.
*More advanced/pro players may not find this course a challenge. (Still Fun)
Other Thoughts: I've been playing at this course for over 20 years and it is a little gem inside the Beltway. It is a classic old course which has evolved from the days when the hot plastic was the Aero & the 86. A day at Calvert is always a good time! One of the quirky things about the space is the canopy. Though the trees are old and majestic; their tops are cropped due to the property being at the end of the airport. It is often a pleasant distraction to watch the single engine planes come & go.
As you look at the property, you might think that you will be having deją vu on every other hole. Surprisingly this is not the case. The use of the terrain and trees keeps things from getting monotonous. There are opportunities to use a variety of shots with a good mix of left, right and straight pin placements. Of course the trees come into play but you won't be staring down many tight fairways. Often the white tees give an altered look at the pin rather than add distance over the red tees and a few blue tees are shared by white tees. Those that are not shared, with the addition of C pin placements, will even keep the big arms entertained. There may be some confusion finding blue tees just because there are so many tees in view. With a little attention this should not be a problem. The course plays pretty quickly so you could easily play all three tees in a long afternoon.
I haven't had to deal with too much sogginess over the years but the buggy, natty, flying things can be an issue when the course is damp. Coming from NoVA, I usually play the course between rush hours so I have not encountered the course really busy. I bet after work and on weekends the course could really see some traffic. I still don't think it would be a big issue. This course has stood steadfast through the decades and a good destination when visiting DC. Add it on your list of "must see" DC monuments.

Calvert Park 6-12-10

1    6/12/2010   6/13/2010
Review By: indecisivemess
Pros: Three tees. Red, White, Blue.
Well marked holes. Well marked mandos. Somewhat challenging but not too hard to make par. Some long holes some shorter. Flat and wooded.
Other Thoughts: There is a store close by that sells discs.

Good course

2-4    4/16/2010   4/22/2010
Review By: Ides
Pros: Good place for beginners to learn the game. I've been playing for quite awhile and this course is still a fun challenge. Nice shade from the trees, benches, and friendly locals. It's also a good place for practicing new discs and allows for mess-ups without a huge penalty for doing so. Markers at the bottom of the baskets pointing to the next tee off area.
Cons: Might not be too fun for advanced players and can be quite bad after it rains.

Standby Course

5+    12/3/2009   12/7/2009
Review By: jcbnxll
This review was updated on 12/29/2009
Pros: --Encourages fundamentals: It's necessary to be able to throw straight shots through gateways, both mando-forced ones and natural fairway ones. You also have to have a long distance hyzer and anhyzer shot in your bag. There are holes for rollers and there are holes for big arms. This course rewards the player with a variety of shots in his/her bag.
--Metro accessible: I live in the area and this is the only course that's truly metro accessible. It's just a 10 minute walk from the College Park metro stop on the green line.
--Bi-weekly doubles: There's doubles on Sunday morning and there's doubles Tuesday evening (but I suspect that's on hiatus during the winter).
--Friendly people: There are a lot of regulars that play the course so it's easy to make friends if you don't know the course or if you're looking for a disc.
--Shady: Lots of trees make a round a refreshing walk rather than a death march. Then again, I'm used to playing in the desert of eastern Washington (State).
Multiple teepads: Every teepad offers a very different look at the hole. Reds are shorter, but there are still a few doozies in the set. Blues are the longest and require some of the harder shots making the course a tough par. The alternate tees make it easy for varying skill levels to play together.
Cons: --Swampy: There's not much drainage at all on this course. Make sure you bring a towel or two with you. The dew takes a long time to evaporate in the morning because of all the shade. You may even consider bringing a second pair of socks in case your disc finds a particularly nasty area and you have to go in after it.
--ticks: They're out there. I play the course ~2 times a week and I always check myself afterwards. Once found one on my stomach after a round.
--Disc golf density: because it's so accessible, sometimes there are a lot of people on the course. They don't always know the game very well and may walk across your fairway without realizing it.
--No elevation changes
--Can be a little tricky to navigate because of how tight the holes are.
Other Thoughts: I play this course ~2/week and even though it's the only course I can easily access because I don't have a car, I'd still play it often.

Soggy but fun

1    12/3/2009   12/3/2009
Review By: DrAwkward
Pros: I'll say it up front. I am a newbie. Keep that in mind.

Layout was easy to follow (signs were clear I thought). The park is pleasant to walk around. Holes were open enough not to punish mistakes (except for my one big one, mentioned in "other thoughts).
Cons: I went the day after a rainstorm. It was a total swamp. That made it more interesting, but messy. There was nobody there (it's Dec) but I can see how if it's populated, you'd be ducking a lot.
Other Thoughts: I lost a disc into the creek on the far side of 17. I'm not terribly good and didn't pull the dog-leg right. Sailed straight out from the tee. I spent a good 45 minutes looking and never found it. If anyone comes across a white Valkyrie, please let me know. It's got my phone number and email address on the inner rim.

East Coast Footbag Championships

1    10/4/2009   11/29/2009
Review By: Wreckmaster13
Pros: WOW, the most disc players I have ever seen playing a one time. Very Nice park with multiple tees for every basket. Open wooded shots
Cons: I dont believe a map could have helped me find the tee boxes. The course was very confusing to follow. If not for the friendly players in the park, I would have left after the front nine. I joined a group and played on. There were a lot of holes that ran right beside each other. Very Tight.
Other Thoughts: I visit College Park every year for The East Coast Championship Footbag Tourny. My disc will always make the trip with me. I like the course enough to come back for more. My suggestions would be the little arrows on the bottom of the baskets, pointing to the next tee, They should point at the middle tee.

Overall- Great course.

Knats and Hippies and lighting

1    5/28/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: The Holes in the woods are the best looking and well maintained holes I have ever played
Very well kept
Cons: Finding the holes when you get close to the end can be tricky
lots and lots of bugs
Other Thoughts: I was in D.C. and decided to hit a course. It was raining but figured I'm only in D.C. once every couple of years so I played anyway. I got stuck in a lighting storm and had trouble finding my way back to my car. Lighting was striking all around me, it was scary but you can hardly blame it on the course.

After the rain let up I got harassed by a hippie who kept asking me if I was a cop and wanted to know if "I was cool" I told him I was and let him do his thing. I didn't join him though, it's not really my thing but I don't judge.

Once I started playing again I had a great time. The course was beautiful but I was followed by a swarm of knats they kept attacking my head and I had to keep moving to stay away from them. It made me miserable but the course was so visually stunning I had a great time in spite of all that

Too wet for AM play

1    4/28/2009   8/16/2009
Review By: AusTexDoc
Pros: concrete tee pads, the legacy of being a great course when we were throwing 141's and 165'2. Shady, easy to follow, good parking. Closest course from DC and fairly easy to find.
Cons: Both times I've played early AM- much too much dew and wet grass. My towel got soaked in no time (I hate wet discs and poor footing) Little variability and no change in elevation.
Other Thoughts: A good course to practice shaping your lines. I will have to try it dry sometime. Maybe next time I'll bring my old Whamo