College Park, MD
Calvert Road Park Share
Uploaded By: Cgkortz Hole #17 (Taken 10/2013)
Hole #17 Blue Tee

East Coast Footbag Championships

1    10/4/2009   11/29/2009
Review By: Wreckmaster13
Pros: WOW, the most disc players I have ever seen playing a one time. Very Nice park with multiple tees for every basket. Open wooded shots
Cons: I dont believe a map could have helped me find the tee boxes. The course was very confusing to follow. If not for the friendly players in the park, I would have left after the front nine. I joined a group and played on. There were a lot of holes that ran right beside each other. Very Tight.
Other Thoughts: I visit College Park every year for The East Coast Championship Footbag Tourny. My disc will always make the trip with me. I like the course enough to come back for more. My suggestions would be the little arrows on the bottom of the baskets, pointing to the next tee, They should point at the middle tee.

Overall- Great course.

Knats and Hippies and lighting

1    5/28/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: The Holes in the woods are the best looking and well maintained holes I have ever played
Very well kept
Cons: Finding the holes when you get close to the end can be tricky
lots and lots of bugs
Other Thoughts: I was in D.C. and decided to hit a course. It was raining but figured I'm only in D.C. once every couple of years so I played anyway. I got stuck in a lighting storm and had trouble finding my way back to my car. Lighting was striking all around me, it was scary but you can hardly blame it on the course.

After the rain let up I got harassed by a hippie who kept asking me if I was a cop and wanted to know if "I was cool" I told him I was and let him do his thing. I didn't join him though, it's not really my thing but I don't judge.

Once I started playing again I had a great time. The course was beautiful but I was followed by a swarm of knats they kept attacking my head and I had to keep moving to stay away from them. It made me miserable but the course was so visually stunning I had a great time in spite of all that

Too wet for AM play

1    4/28/2009   8/16/2009
Review By: AusTexDoc
Pros: concrete tee pads, the legacy of being a great course when we were throwing 141's and 165'2. Shady, easy to follow, good parking. Closest course from DC and fairly easy to find.
Cons: Both times I've played early AM- much too much dew and wet grass. My towel got soaked in no time (I hate wet discs and poor footing) Little variability and no change in elevation.
Other Thoughts: A good course to practice shaping your lines. I will have to try it dry sometime. Maybe next time I'll bring my old Whamo

Disc Golf 101

5+    3/11/2009   8/11/2009
Review By: tmahan
Pros: Nice mix of wooded holes, about half straight tunnel shots, the other half evenly split between right and left benders. Course is well groomed, no scrub or undergrowth to hide your discs. There is a creek on one side of the property but you have to yank it pretty hard to find it. Course area is pretty much dedicated to disc golf so there are few pedestrians to deal with. Concrete tees are great imporovement from the old blacktop this course used to have. Three tees per hole, I've yet to play the blues.
Cons: Course is short, Lots of mid-200 footers is the order of the day here, with only 2 holes over 300. Terrain is flat as a pancake so no elevation related challenges.
Other Thoughts: Nice course on a relatively small plot of land, it truly is a great course to introduce new players to the game. Enough obstacles to not be boring, but open enough to not be overly frustrating for newbies.

The old course was updated number of years ago (about 2000?) and stretched about as far as this plot of land can handle. New concrete tees were added and modern baskets placed to replace the old Mach I's, I believe Dave Devine had a big hand in this (thanks Dave).

When the wind's blowing in the right direction it seems like planes are trying to land in the parking lot, can be quite a surprise the first time you see it..

Classic!

1    9/17/2003   6/24/2009
Review By: BigJ198
Pros: Playing on such a storied course! This course has almost been around since the beginning of Disc Golf!
The course is easily accessible from the beltway and seems to be in a good neighborhood.
Well-laid out and easily navigated. Holes are simple and terrain is quite flat.
Well maintained, thanks locals!
Cons: The cons are pretty much what I like about the course. No elevation changes, short, no low branches. If one is used to modern courses, this course may seem a little weak.
Other Thoughts: Overall I like the course because it was built "Back in the Day"; Before we were blessed with extra long range drivers, Speed 13 discs, star Plastic, etc. I hope they leave the course as is and we can be satisfied to play the course as the designers intended. Know your roots!

Where I learned to play

5+    12/21/2008   1/29/2009
Review By: craigg
Pros: - Very beginner friendly.
- Large trees make for an easy shady walk in hot weather
- Three sets of concrete tees, and up to 3 pin placements per hole make for nice variety.
- Adequate Parking
- Discs for sale across the street
- Local doubles and monthly events make organized/inexpensive play accessible to anybody
- Right down the street from U of MD
- Just a couple miles inside the capitol beltway makes it easy to find / easy to get to.
Cons: No elevation - being all flat makes the course not overly challenging, and it gets a little swampy when it rains.
Other Thoughts: This is the course where I learned to play. I probably played 2-3 rounds a day for 4 months straight back in 1987/88 when it was just Mach I baskets. Tree density is such that control is at a higher premium than distance, but not so dense that errant shots are punished (they are not). A fun course to play, or to introduce someone to the sport on.

Fantastic beginner course; only adequate for higher level players

5+    11/10/2008   1/5/2009
Review By: t i m
Pros: This course earns many points for being the only 18 hole course inside the D.C. Beltway. That said, it's hard to write a review for a course like this, because many of the features that make it great for beginners or for practice rounds make it mediocre for competitive play... so I'm going to put most of the course description and playing information in the "Other Thoughts" category and use the pros/cons for very basic information... so skip down for the thorough review.

But in brief, the pros:

Decent concrete tees on every hole
Multiple tees on many holes; where present, the white/blue tees add difficulty and give the course a higher replay value.
Large, beautiful trees provide great shade in summer.
Very little underbrush.
Good parking, and convenient location inside the Beltway.
Amusing course and highly playable year round.
Friendly locals and a decent club host several tourneys every year and often try new/different formats for fun.
Cons: Doesn't drain as well as some courses, so it can get mucky in places after the rain.
Fairways are close to one another without a lot of tree protection, so watch out for flying discs.
Shot variety is weak -- many holes give you that "deja vu" feeling.
Almost zero elevation change.
Other Thoughts: I would rate this as an above average red/beginner level course, but it's not so great for other level players. Though it is a very good place for more experienced players to practice new discs and throws with minimal consequences... ideal for practice rounds with mids/putters.

The tall, beautiful trees that provide 95 percent of the obstacles here have very few low branches, so there is very little in the way on most holes. The trees do force some minimal line-shaping, but because of the lack of low branches, there is a high-ceiling available on almost every shot, and even when you hit a tree, there is seldom any significant penalty for it -- you just have an open 2nd shot toward the basket.

Most holes have half-a-dozen different lines to reach the basket, and most of the distances are in the 180-300' range. So there is not a lot of variety on the holes, unless you choose to FORCE some variety by trying different lines every time and trying different discs, different routes, different types of throws. In this sense, this course can be great for practicing your game -- it's just a very poor course for competitive rounds...

Based on PDGA tourney results, scratch golf (1000-rated) is in the 40s for every layout, even the hardest tees. From the red tees, 1000-rated golf requires shooting -12 or better (42 strokes for the round), which just isn't an ideal tournament venue.

Bottom line, the short, open holes and the lack of OB/bushes/thick-trees/elevation/etc... to penalize errant shots makes this ideal for beginners and practice rounds but weak for any sort of competitive play.

First Love

5+    8/5/2008   1/5/2009
Review By: ddevine
Pros: Good tee pads, easy to follow, benches, plenty of shade in the summer, alternate pins and tee pads. Enough trees to keep you honest, and a nice selection righty/lefty/straight shots that teach solid fundamentals. Park is well maintained and an easy stroll for beginners. Kiosk with a map shows location and directions for most of the local courses. Note: The tee signs are the originals dating back to 1980 with Par 4s and Par 5s suitable for beginners only.
Cons: Can flood after rains, short by today's standards. The loss of many, many trees over the years has made it much easier.
Other Thoughts: My first basket course back in 1984 and still one of my favorites, even though it is primarily a recreational course by today's standards. If the course is empty try playing The Nines...tee of 1 to basket of 10, tee of 11 to basket of 2, etc. Makes for an 8000 foot layout where 54 is tough for top players. Maximizes criss-cross, so course must be deserted.

Underneath and About the Trees

5+    11/22/2008   11/22/2008
Review By: swatso
This review was updated on 8/1/2009
Pros:
Three tees per hole. Concrete tee pads. Multiple pin positions. Distance/flight path info at each red tee pad. Arrow at each basket indicating next tee area. Mandos. Minimal chance of losing a disc
Cons:
Flat terrain/similar sized trees throughout make it difficult to provide much variety.
Blue/White tees same 8 of 18 holes. No very long holes. Course plays much more difficult from the blue/whites than the reds. Excellent use of a minimal amount fo space. Need to hyze, anhyze, and S-shape many shots.

Great course for beginners, but still challenging enough for more experienced players.

Good quickie!

5+    10/31/2008   11/2/2008
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Easy to follow course layout and nice concrete tees. Very hard to lose disc. Great for quick round or 2. Very good for a chuck and run(speed golf) as the whole course is flat and can be done in 20 min, but watch out for divots! Good for practicing low line drive shots and accuracy. I love this course on hot summer days cause its almost all shaded! Can play in shorts and sandals.
Cons: Short, simple, not very challenging, can be crowded. Trees are the only obstacle and no hills whatsoever. Some signs are not accurate and can be difficult to figure out which basket to shoot at. Hole 1 holds some water after storms(like a water hazard). Bitting flies especially on hole 10 for some reason loves my bald head. Mosquitoes are nasty during summer. Bring repellent!
Other Thoughts: I wish I had known about this course earlier as it is great for beginners, although I still love this course after 100+ times! I kill my friends on this course with my sidearm. It is cool that you can see the whole course and when it is crowded I often just jump around to other holes and come back. I played this course in a hurricane like downpour as the rain was sideways and it was still fun. I've never had an issue with mud here really.