St. Marys, OH
Grand Miami DGC Share
Uploaded By: douglowe Hole #17 (Taken 8/2012)
3 / 190ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Nice course

1    6/1/2014   6/1/2014
Review By: lildragon
Pros: -Nice concrete tee pads
-Great use of the natural terrain
-Flags on most baskets
-Variety of shots (although mostly short)
-Practice bucket is always nice
-Nice multi-use park
Cons: -Could use better signage, at least it has the bare minimum number and distance
-Navigation is relatively intuitive, except in a couple places (Hole 17 especially)
-Needs some benches and trashcans
-Broken glass in some areas
Other Thoughts: Overall a nice course to play. It was a nice sunny Sunday morning/afternoon when I played and was quite enjoyable. The park the course is located in is very nice in general. Although I wouldn't like to be there when all the fields are in use at once.

For me, the course plays relatively short with a few opportunities to open up and rip, but there is a chance here and there. Very enjoyable round, I didn't find that the water came into play on any holes (unless you have really terribly aim)

I'm glad I made the trek to check out the course, and would encourage any other discer to check it out.

What a surprise!

1    9/16/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: icandisc
Pros: Holes really make you work for it in interesting ways
Cons: Water! (watch out for losing a disc!)
Other Thoughts: I must say pulling in I wasn't expecting much, but this was a very nice course. Hole 13? I believe was a really cool bomber from atop a hill, with the previous hole having you ascend it. Water comes into play quite often in the form of canals, creeks and a lake. Lots of terrain, and really interesting holes keep you guessing. I was impressed and surprised to find this little gem.

5+    8/18/2013   8/24/2013
Review By: jmdamer
This review was updated on 5/3/2014
Pros: I used a variety of throws and discs on this course.

The course has 4-5 holes that are heavily wooded. Several long bomber wide open holes. several holes set under nice mature trees to throw around. Some holes are downhill or uphill, just a lot of variety.
the flags on the basket are a nice touch.
Cons: T-Signs would be nice.
Basket 16 to T-pad 17 is a long walk.
A info board and park map would be great
Other Thoughts: Really enjoy playing this course.

5+    7/7/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: Johnny295
Pros: Challenging course, baskets gets changed very often, good mix of long, short and tight holes. Quick course, does have random doubles on Thursdays, and handicap singles Sunday morning. Good parking.
Cons: Surrounded by a canal and a river so it's easy to loose a disc to the water, also a pond on hole 3 can eat your discs as well. Holes 4, 7-11 can be very muddy and slick when there is heavy rain. Quite a bit of high brush that needs chopped down, makes finding disc difficult. Mandos were put in this year, kinda disagree wit 7's mando.

Other Thoughts: Tee signs would be nice. Park does have people walking riding bikes in the woods every now and again, people fishing right on the 3's fairways, and had a kid park his moped on one of the tee pads when I was playing. So maybe some caution flying disc area signs would be nice also.

Beautiful course with much potential

2-4    8/18/2012   8/18/2012
Review By: douglowe
Pros: I drove to this course from Troy (Ohio) and it was well worth the trip. My first game at this course was on doubles night, which worked out great since I didn't know anything about the layout. Ended up playing a very fun round with a great group of guys.

The course is a good mix of open and wooded holes. Three quarters of the course is fairly short, even on some of the open holes. There are some elevation changes, but only 2-3 that are really noticeable. The course makes very good use of the area that it's in, considering the amount other sports fields in the park.
Cons: Since this is a fairly new course, I'd rather call these "suggestions for improvement" rather than "cons".

1. The holes definitely need well made signs. There are quite a few OBs that I wouldn't have known about without playing doubles with some locals my first time here.

2. Another reason for good signage would be to show where the next hole is in comparison to the hole you're on. There are several holes that have you backtracking from the basket backwards to the next tee. It can get pretty confusing. Hole 17 is a great example of this, as it took me a few minutes to find when I played the course alone.

3. The course is beautiful, but there seems to be a lot of what I'd call "debris". I'm not sure where it come from, but I cam across quite a bit of bottles, paper, etc as a played. Most of it is in the wooded area. Maybe a good course of action would be to add trash cans in that area.
Other Thoughts: This course is definitely worth the drive, especially if you live north of Dayton. It takes me 40 minutes from Troy, and I can see myself making the trip often. I think in the next few years this course is going to see improvements and growth, and become one of the better courses in the area. The local players really care about the course, and it shows.

Ba weep gra na weep ninny bong

1    11/6/2011   11/8/2011
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Lots of Diversity
Good for any skill level
Clean, mowed and well taken care of
Good mix of shot types, Bombs and technical shots, elevation, creek comes into play, and wooded to open.
Signs that point the way to the next hole
High fun factor

Cons: Advanced players my find it a little short, especially the early, wooded, technical holes.
Lost my favorite disc!
Can be a little tough to navigate the earlier holes
Other Thoughts: Looking at the search map on this site I see that this is an area with not a lot of options when it comes to Disc Golf. It's good that they have this place.

I had a lot more fun at this course then I thought I would when I first pulled up. It's bigger than it looks. It's located in a park that looks like it has a lot going on besides Disc Golf. I didn't have any problems with traffic when I was there but I would bet on a nice day in the summer there are probably a lot of other non-disc golfing people to watch out for.

The first few holes wrap around a hill, around a pond and over a field filled with giant dirt piles. Not sure why the dirt piles are there but I hope they stay, I've never thrown around man made 10 foot tall dirt mounds, it was fun, definitely something different and new. The course then goes into the a fairly small patch of woods but they definitely make the most of of it. The holes in here are small but a lot of fun and technical. This is the part where I got turned around a bit, even with the signs I got a little confused about where to go next. It's nothing serious though you'll definitely be able to find your way around. After you get out of the woods you play an uphill hole and then a really fun bomber off the top of a pretty large hill. Then you finish the course out with a series of open shots with some tall trees to throw around.

The thing that stuck out about this course to me was its diversity. They definitely change it up on you as it goes on. It's especially impressive when you look at the land they had to work with. It's not great Disc Golf land but they really took advantage of the spots that had potential.

Really good park but it's kinda far away from any other really good parks to combine it with on a road trip so I probably wouldn't recommend a long drive just to play this one. If your a local however hit it up. It's a lot of fun. And if you find a red Nuke in the stream, you don't have to return it, just give it a good home. It likes to go out for a toss at least twice a week and feed it plenty of dirt and chains. It will be good to you if your good to it.

Fun to Play

5+    9/12/2011   9/13/2011
Review By: Nugzy
This review was updated on 8/28/2013
Pros: You get the best of everything for a mid to advanced player. Trees, water, elevation, hard turns, elevated basket, and 400ft+ holes. Plays through a beautiful city park making the most of every opportunity with elevation, water and trees.
Cons: Plays a little close to soccer field on #17
Other Thoughts: This course plays tougher then expected. New basket placements added the needed distance and the pyramid basket added another degree of difficulty.