1 Helpful / 0 Not
Destination course? Close.
Pros: - Wonderfully secluded. Serene, and out by yourself. Not very much overlap in the course with other holes, which is cool.
- Dedicated to disc golf (aside from the roads).
- Decent elevation. Only used on a few holes (2, 4, 5, 9, 16), but very nice.
- Good baskets, great shape.
- Good concrete tees.
- Nice thought put into tee and pin placement on many of the holes. Definitely an effort to include a variety of hole types/challenges. Tunnel shots, open expanses, tight gaps, and some nicely guarded baskets. Uphill, downhill, nothing repetitive about this course.
- Nice varieties in length.
- #2 is a cool, blind downhill R to L. Had to walk down the hill to see where I was shooting, but this is a fun hole.
- #5 is challenging, downhill with a hard turn left at the end. Hard to get there with the low canopy.
- #7 is simple, but I enjoyed it very much (aside from the overgrown fairway). Relatively wide tunnel shot under a large canopy, through some large downed trees.
- #17 is a narrow, challenging, standard tunnel shot.
Cons: - No real parking. Basically in the grass in a lot. Not exactly obvious.
- Hard to find where to start. If you come from the correct direction, you'll see the sign, but otherwise you'll drive around the whole park once on the one-way loop to get back to where you need to be.
- Tee signage could be improved. Some signs facing the wrong direction. Maps on a couple holes would be helpful, especially the blind ones. Not sure how far out the basket is.
- Signage directing you to the next tee is also needed in a few places. The layout isn't the worst, but it's not intuitive the first time round.
- Finding #16 tee pad took me a few.
- Roads are very much in play on a couple holes, but I wasn't ever terribly worried about it.
- VERY green this summer. Some of the wooded holes had all sorts of plants growing up in the fairways, 12 - 18" tall. Could be easy to lose a disc in the middle of the fairway if you're not watching. Just needs mowed occasionally.
- #16 is interesting, that's for sure. Tight woods, then down a little hill, and then up a steep incline to the right, 100' to the basket. It's got so many things going on, it just felt a little janky to me. Only an amazing upshot would get a deuce on this hole, and 3's are probably hard to come by.
- #18 is heavily guarded by a stand of trees - maybe too much so. There are lines, but just looking at it makes it seem like a poke and hope
Other Thoughts: - The obvious thought in hole variety is what I really love about the course. Got frustrated with overgrown fairways and tee pads some, as well as some navigation issues, and having to walk down fairways to see basket placement.
- Lots of different challenges here, always a plus!
- Really, great for the peaceful, secluded feel.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
7 Helpful / 0 Not
Great new course
Pros: Course has some very unique holes - hole 4's basket on top of a stump, hole's 5 awesome down hill drive, hole 9's tough drive and decision off of the tee....hole 13's nice defined fairway, hole 16's short but challenging two shot par 4, and hole 18's dangerous drive over the road. The course offers some great flick shot opportunities. The baskets are also top of the line. Machs are infinitely better than Discatchers in terms of durability and the orange coated paint make them easy to be seen. The course is challenging and forces you to stay on the fairway. There are some nice big bomber holes (hole 14 comes to mind) but the course is more about keeping it in the fairway, making pars, and playing for the duece on the holes you can score on. The course is the definition of risk/reward, which I love.
Cons: All courses have something to be desired so I will highlight a few things here:
-Some of the greens are very tight and offer small putting areas. You may be 10 to 15 feet from the basket but be behind a tree. Over time this will be less of an issue as the course gets played more and things get beat in but at this point in time some of the greens are a little tight
-The rough is a bit rough, but once again this will fade over time and become normal
-A few of the holes on the back nine are a bit dangerous in terms of the usage of the road. Make sure to watch hole 15, as the tee shot is blind to anyone driving or walking from the left. If this tee was moved 15 feet to the right this problem would be solved. 17 and 18 also have the road coming into play and could potentially use some tweaking to get the road out of play, but as long as disc golfers are watching and being smart this shouldn't be a problem. With that in mind, disc golfers are not always watching and being smart....
Other Thoughts: This is a great new addition to the greater Peoria area of disc golf courses. I would highly recommend this course. You'll get a nice challenge with some good deuce opportunities if you bide your time!
7 of 7 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.