Decatur, IL
Nelson Park Share
Uploaded By: skyfire Hole #4 (Taken 10/2011)

Pretty plain

2-4    10/22/2012   1/6/2012
Review By: green_hornet915
This review was updated on 1/30/2013
Pros: The rolling hills make for a some shot shaping. The elevation changes are a definite pro for this course. Nice view of the Decatur lake. Was back to the course when it was grown in it was a much better course takes a decent player to make it around this course with a par round. Easy to navigate a great addition to the Decatur area.
Cons: It is definitely not long nothing to test a long hucker. To many shot in the 300 range and under needs to be stretched out some. I was thinking that this being a reused ball golf course it would be longer. But that bring said you have to be on your game when it's grown in. I have shot under par both times here but I shoot more than most.
Other Thoughts: The course is a must in the middle of the state. I am sure with longer pin placements this will be a great course in time. I will be looking for the new placements when I go back up and play this course again!!

Love having a course in Decatur!

5+    10/19/2011   10/20/2011
Review By: stoltzjl77
This review was updated on 11/7/2011
Pros: This course has a lot of fun holes. It rewards distance more than accuracy - in general it is very open. There are two holes I would consider technical - #9 and #16.

The course opened during a drought and now the leaves are coming down - I think it will be a very different course in the spring. Overall it is challenging and I like the elevation changes. If you can place your distance drives accurately you will do well - if not, the course will eat you up. And as I said above, it will play differently in different seasons so it will stay "fresh."

My favorite holes are #1, #4, #8, and #15 - all four really force you to throw your best to stay out of trouble.
Cons: As Noah said, some of the holes are a little too close together. Hopefully the city will accommodate suggested modifications (particularly 8-9-10).

Also - no water hazards and not enough trees. This is not a knock on the course designers, they did a great job with what the land had to offer. Trees can and hopefully will be added - water not so much.

Other Thoughts: The conflict between the hyzer option on #16 and the basket on #3 could be resolved by moving #3 basket under the tree just north of where it is now - I don't think it would significantly change the strengths of #3 and would eliminate the conflict with #16. #4 tee would be protected by the tree and because it is farther up the hill.

Also agree with Noah - if the city will let us we could easily fit another nice 9 or 18 in this park. Come out and play and support disc golf in Decatur!